automatic board refresh...

Posted by: revlmwest

automatic board refresh... - 12/01/2003 14:02

A friend of mine asked me to check a game score on ESPN.com yesterday, when I noticed a link that set the page to auto refresh every 30, 60, or 90 seconds. Since I basically leave the board on my desktop all day, this would be a cool feature for the board. Would someone please comment on the complexity of doing this? It would only need to be on the front page in my opinion.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: automatic board refresh... - 12/01/2003 14:17

Is it that hard to refresh manually with F5, Ctrl-R, or the refresh button on the toolbar?

The BBS has to embed the META refresh tag to make this happen... There is kind of a hack you could do using HTML frames, though. If you have an HTML file on your PC that looks something like this, you should be able to browse that HTML file in your browser, which would then pull up the Empeg BBS as a frame. Not sure how elegant this solution is, but it should work...

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Empeg BBS</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="300">
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET>
<FRAME src="http://empeg.comms.net/php/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&PHPSESSID=">
</FRAME>
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>
Posted by: Daria

Re: automatic board refresh... - 12/01/2003 14:48

[joking]rss feed![/joking]
Posted by: drakino

Re: automatic board refresh... - 12/01/2003 23:44

[joking]rss feed![/joking]

Thats not funny. Saying things like that distract me when I'm in the BBS code. :-P

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 06:35

In reply to:

Is it that hard to refresh manually with F5, Ctrl-R, or the refresh button on the toolbar?

I was actually thinking about going to a two monitor setup with several pages remaining open on the second monitor.
I also find it very humorous that a post that would require very little programming and time with immediate results produced one questioning response and a post discussing attaching a remote controlled airplane fused to a spy camera to a jeep so that traffic could be surveyed recieved serious dialogue. Man, I love this place....
Posted by: andym

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 07:50

If you don't mind me asking, why are you green? Just curious...
Posted by: frog51

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 09:12

Must be envy
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 09:13

Greetings!

Green is 1,000+ posts, I think. There is something abou that here, somewhere...

Meanwhile, the meta refresh is really the best option. The question would be where to implement. Could it be placed in the board itself? Would it be better with a framed wrapper?
Posted by: lopan

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 09:18

but if he had 1000+ posts wouldn't he be something other then "enthusiast"?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 09:20

FAQ
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 10:00

In that case, I'd nominate DarkStorm for a green, as he's made a significant contribution.

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 10:04

I got it for not hijacking threads....
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: automatic board refresh... - 13/01/2003 10:06

ROFL....touché

back on topic:

I took the liberty of putting the above posted script on your webspace:

http://dynsol.wpc.net/~lwest/forums.html

note: It can be annoying as it will refresh while you are creating or editing a post sometimes...Arg!