emPacMan install

Posted by: furtive

emPacMan install - 22/01/2003 09:10

Ok, I've searched the archive, and I've read all the threads.

I've copied the empacman_v1.zip onto my empeg. What now?

What do I do with a zip file???? All the other empeg files I've copied over are .tar.gz format which I can handle, but what do I do with a .zip file?

Thanks
Posted by: tonyc

Re: emPacMan install - 22/01/2003 09:18

"Doc, it hurts when I do this..."

"My recommendation: don't do that."

Unzip the file first on your PC then FTP the empacman binary over.

You can find "unzip" for Linux (don't think it's on the standard image), but in this case, it's probably easier to unzip on the PC, since the empacman zip doesn't contain many files.

Re: emPacMan install - 22/01/2003 09:20

Hmm. I tried unzipping it on my PC and got an error. Maybe the file didn't download properly. I'll give it another go...

Re: emPacMan install - 22/01/2003 09:24

NetPumper thought a URL was a zip file

Sorted now. Thanks.

Re: emPacMan install - 22/01/2003 11:14

And for my next stupid quesiton, how do I make them stay on the Hijack menu?

I went out the the car and they had gone.

I've searched the archive and faq and can see references to them going missing, but not how to get them back.
Posted by: oliver

Re: emPacMan install - 22/01/2003 14:00

Try PreInit from wfaulk
Posted by: rowitech

Re: emPacMan install - 23/01/2003 03:34

I've installed preinit but don't know how to create programs0. I know how to handle Unix-commands but what do I have to do? Creating a directory seems not to be the thing I have to do. I've read many threads for that but there are many many things to do. Is this right?

regards,
Rolf
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: emPacMan install - 23/01/2003 07:09

I'll PM you the PM's that genixia sent me that helped me get it installed.
Posted by: morrisdl

Re: emPacMan install - 23/01/2003 09:00

Please add them here for future reference (when I attempt it). Thanks!
Posted by: oliver

Re: emPacMan install - 23/01/2003 09:20

Its not 100% critical that you setup the programs0 dev partition. It will help you not eat up all your free space on the root partition, but thats about it. I don't use it. I store everything but the trivia program on root partition, and i keep the trivia program on my music partition. I've been meaning to setup the dev partition for quite some time, just haven't gotten around to it. I guess i'm just waiting for the car image builder.
Posted by: rowitech

Re: emPacMan install - 23/01/2003 11:02

Hi D33zY,

thanks a lot for your mails. I see that there is the need to post it here, there are others who might use this info. For me, I will need to have a minute in spare to realize this.
But one question is left: As written it seems that I don't need the /programs0 at all. Maybe it's cleaner but for the first steps it should run without this partition, right?

regards,
Rolf