DC/DC Adapter question

Posted by: GooRoo

DC/DC Adapter question - 27/01/2003 14:12

Quick question for the electronics people of the board, I'm looking to pick up a dc/dc adapter for the empeg so that I can use it when I'm in someone else's car. I looked at Best Buy/Radio Shack/ etc and the closest I've found to 12v 1A is a 12v 2A one. Will that work and not hose the empeg? Any suggestions appreciated.
Posted by: tman

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 27/01/2003 14:24

It should work fine. It just means you can draw up to 2 amps from that power supply.
Can't you just plug the empeg directly into the car lighter socket? Make sure the polarity is right though...

- Trevor
Posted by: cushman

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 27/01/2003 14:25

You don't really need a DC/DC adapter when you are in the car, since the Empeg was designed for in-car use. What I did was take a cigarette lighter adapter from Radio Shack, and splice on the correct size adapter for the Empeg's power connector. Make SURE that the negative/positive wires are connected correctly (use a multimeter to make sure). This way the Empeg recieves direct power from the car just like it would in the sled.

The 12V/2A adapter would work anyway, since the device connected to the power source draws the amperage, it isn't fed it. The Empeg won't draw more than 1A of power as per the spec, so you just need to make sure the adapter is rated at least to 1A.

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 27/01/2003 14:34

I could plug it in direct, but I'd still have to buy the car 12v lighter plug and a empeg 5.5 mm plug as well, so I might as well use the added protection of the pre made one right?
Additionally it would probably be prettier to use someone else's factory cable given my electonics skill and tools.
Posted by: tman

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 27/01/2003 14:39

Fair enough If you're happy with doing that then it's fine. So long as the polarity is correct then it will work as it's more than enough to power the empeg

- Trevor

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 28/01/2003 10:12

Excellent, thanks for the help.
Posted by: tms13

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 28/01/2003 10:13

In reply to:

a empeg 5.5 mm plug

ITYM 2.1mm!
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 28/01/2003 10:38

ITYM 2.1mm!

5.5 mm outer diameter, 2.1 mm inner... +12V on the inner, ground on the outside

/Michael
Posted by: lectric

Re: DC/DC Adapter question - 28/01/2003 21:20

I picked up an adapter at Rat Shack that is a straight through to the correct adapter plug, with the added convenience of an on/off switch at the post. This only matters because my G/F's SUV has constantly on cigarette lighters, so killing the ignition does NOT kill the player, and we can't leave it running in a hot car, can we?