It's not an Empeg...

Posted by: sundayjumper

It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 05:22

...but it's got a RISC processor & VFD display. Probably only time before they add a HDD to it.

LINK

If they can get them out at the price they're quoting, I think they'll sell rather well.

Steve.
Posted by: rob

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 06:04

...but it's got a RISC processor & VFD display

...as do some microwave ovens.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 06:39

I sure do love products that print their feature list right on the front. That's helpful if you ever forget what it is. It would also help thieves when they're out ``shopping''.
Posted by: cushman

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 06:44

Like people who have personalized license places that say "MY BEEMR" or "03HUMMR".

Oh, I didn't realize that you owned a Hummer until I saw your license plate! It's a good thing you got that personalized plate to tell me that you owned a Hummer, because when you RAN ME OVER I thought it was a Geo.
Posted by: Lupo

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 08:03

I d/loaded the vids, seems like it already has an HDD inside...But really, at that price it would be amazing, cause they claim to be upgradable as oposed to Sony and Pioneer's HDD-players.
Posted by: tman

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 08:16

There are a lot of things that say they're "upgradable" but in most cases you won't ever see the upgrade or if they do manage to release an upgrade any significant changes. Most companies would prefer for you to buy their latest and greatest instead of just extending the life of your old equipment. I know empeg is an exception.

Pioneer and Sony units also can be flash upgraded I believe which is what this unit does.

- Trevor

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 08:31

Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't know about the Sony and Pioneer though, thanks for that!
Posted by: tman

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 08:34

Ah. Remember, just because it IS upgradable doesn't mean Pioneer and Sony will release any upgrades for it! I think it's mainly for bugfixes. Can't quite remember where and who said it had flash for the firmware.

It does look quite interesting though for it's price. I think I'll stick with the empeg for now

- Trevor

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 08:37

Hehe Me too!

But I'll keep looking for that player, just for curiosity. It's a russian product (at least that's what I understand) and I think that's quite amazing.
Posted by: trs24

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 09:32

Yeah - it definitely does look interesting. Judging from my experiance with Russian products either it will be a VERY high quality product or it will just be a piece of crap - hopefully the former.

- trs
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 13:06

Like people who have personalized license places that say "MY BEEMR" or "03HUMMR".

Kinda like this?

And I know that there are a few out there who are dying to find out what DSM means...

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 13:17

*laughs*

That's not as bad as one I saw the other day. It was on a bright yellow Subaru WRX, and the plate simply read "WRX". Now I like WRXs (I own an Outback), but come on. Way to state the obvious, dude.
Posted by: loren

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 13:24

that's almost as bad as getting "EMPEG" on your license plate! Ahahahaha... ha .....ha ... Sorry Tony.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 13:32

Of course, the irony is that Tony's is a completely stealth install...
Posted by: jarob10

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 05/06/2003 23:49

i always pereferred vehicle rather than person-specific private plates.

Each to their own i guess ....
Posted by: muzza

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 06/06/2003 04:13

alright, own up. Who did it. I know you're out there.

Who is the 'anonymous coward' who wrote that message?

Re: Comments on CDD URAL ConceRt by Anonymous Coward on June 6, 2003 @03:14

Hey cool, someones copied the Empeg

nice work
Posted by: tarkie

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 06/06/2003 15:03

Erm....

<BLUSH>

*cough*

</BLUSH>
Posted by: elvis

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 06/06/2003 16:11

Not all DSM's are AWSUM.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 06/06/2003 19:54

I'd really like to know who all has the "EMPEG" plates in the world.

robric has New York state.

I'm considering getting NJ, but I'm worried it'll spoil my stealth "family station wagon" install. When I get my nice new 8 speakers + sub + maybe another amp, I'll be even MORE worried.....
Posted by: robricc

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 06/06/2003 19:56

I'm considering getting NJ...
I live close enough to NJ that I may buy a house there some day. I would appreciate it if you would not get them so if I leave NY, I can still have empeg plates.
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 07/06/2003 14:30

Not all DSM's are AWSUM.

True, however I think this one is pretty awesome....
Posted by: mwest

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 08/06/2003 13:17

I'll have Oklahoma as soon as the paperwork goes through.
Posted by: robricc

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 08/06/2003 18:18

Welcome to the club!
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 08:46

I think I'm going to get it on my new wife's car when we get married in a couple months and she moves her car instate. I don't believe anyone has it in South Carolina yet. I've already got an empeg set aside for her car .

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 08:55

If anyone is interested in the NJ version, here is the link to DMV / MVS to register it. I would do so myself, but a) I have a stealth install and b) I already have customized plates. Pity NJ is in the stone age, and there is no on-line form or even a search to see if it is already taken...

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 08:58

Many states don't want you to find out at all. So it may not be a case of stone-age technology, but stone-age legislation.

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 09:01

Valid point, but NJ was one of those states where they were selling the data to the highest bidder at one point, including selling the data to individuals (in case you wanted to track down that driver who cut you off last Tuesday).
Posted by: loren

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 09:16

TFabris has California. I tried to get EMP3G, but they wouldn't let me as it's to close to EMPEG apparently.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 12:37

Kinda like this?

Or this?

(Just in case there's anybody on the planet who has missed out on my incessant bragging about my car, that is a Ford Taurus station wagon with complete SHO powertrain, brakes, suspension, and interior. One of maybe 10 in the world so equipped. A moderately bad-ass grocery getter!)

tanstaafl.

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 13:07

Doug, what's with the extension cord?
Posted by: djc

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 13:10

battery / engine block heater?

--dan.

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 13:10

Obviously you live in the south

In colder climates, electric block heaters are installed on cars to keep the engine from freezing overnight (or if you go to the grocery store, etc). We have them in Maine, and Alaska... well, let's just say they have colder winters than we do.

There have been a few times when I've left my car running in the lot when going to a movie. You have to live in a very crime-free area to get away with this, though.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 09/06/2003 13:52

Doug, what's with the extension cord?

Extension cord leads to an under-hood multi-outlet box that feeds a 500 watt engine block heater; a 125 watt oil pan heater; a 75 watt transmission pan heater; a battery trickle charger; and a 900 watt electric interior heater.

You're way over east in the Carolinas if I recall correctly, so, let's see, if you notice your lights flickering at about 9:30 am (that would be 5:30 am Alaska time) it's because my outdoor timer just cycled on and began the warming up process on my car.

You may remember (or have heard of) the great East Coast Blackout of 1965? Yeah, that was me... I tried to plug in TWO cars at the same time...

tanstaafl.
Posted by: oliver

Re: It's not an Empeg... - 10/06/2003 18:55

LMAO.... while reading your post, my ups beeped at me. You just plug your car in?