A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort?

Posted by: tfabris

A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 13/06/2003 16:50

How are folks from Cambridge (or heck, any of England) getting to Amersfoort?

Are you driving and taking a ferry? Chunnel? Flying? Swimming?

If anyone is doing some variation of driving, has anyone got room for Me, Jenny, and Rachel to bum a ride?

Our tentative plan is to fly into London during the week before, spend a day or two there, head out to Cambridge to see the flat at some point, and then head to Amersfoort. I've got the travel agent working on Cambridge->Amersfoort options now, but it would be really cool if we could just bum a ride and tell the travel agent not to worry about it.

After the meet, then we'll do Germany the following week.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 13/06/2003 17:20

Oh, and the travel agent is quoting me some pretty stiff rail fares just to get from London to Cambridge. If anyone wants to come pick us up at the hotel in London at some point, we'd love that, too.
Posted by: mlord

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 13/06/2003 19:41

Hey Tony!

When are you flying in (Heathrow?)?

Sounds like we may have similar front-end itinaries!!

I have to make my way up to Cambridge on the Saturday, to hitch up with Toby S. for some rock-climbing or whatever.

Cheers
Posted by: pca

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 01:44

When are you going up to Cambridge, and from where in London? I'm driving up from down south, then getting a lift with empeg people, and could probably fit in three people assuming there wasn't too much luggage.

pca
Posted by: Roger

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 06:24

pretty stiff rail fares just to get from London to Cambridge

Fares from London to Cambridge should be about £20/person (return), so slightly less (not half) for a single. Prices vary according to the time of day that you're travelling, which direction you're travelling in (if you buy the tickets in Cambridge, they're slightly cheaper, even for returns), and whether you want London Underground travel on the rail ticket.

What were you quoted?

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 10:31

Mark and Patrick,

When are you going up to Cambridge, and from where in London?
"When" is open to your suggestion, and I don't know exactly where in London yet.

Here's the tentative plan. It's not set in stone yet, and is subject to change, especially if changing it would make it easier for us to bum a ride or two.

- Arrive at London/Gatwick the morning of Wednesday July 2nd.

- Spend the 2nd and the 3rd in London. Stay at the hotel two nights (I don't know which hotel yet), the nights of the 2nd and the 3rd.

- The morning of Friday the 4th, hopefully check out of the hotel and get picked up by someone going to Cambridge.

- Spend a little time seeing the offices there and meeting everyone before we all head over to Amersfoort.

assuming there wasn't too much luggage.
We're hoping to keep the luggage for this trip light. We want to have only three rolling suitcases (one for each of us), partly because we've had bad experiences with lost checked baggage on connecting flights and want to do only carry-ons, and partly because we know that it'll be easier to bum rides if we don't have huge amounts of luggage.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 10:41

Fares from London to Cambridge should be about £20/person (return), so slightly less (not half) for a single. (...) What were you quoted?
The quotes are in USD, and I'll give totals because this includes all three of us (me, Jenny, Rachel).

"Heathrow express"... $87.00. I'm not sure what this is. I assume this is getting from the airport to our hotel or something. I dunno, I have to ask the agent.

"Britrail Days Out Pass 2 days within 8 days"... $209.00. I believe what the agent did is quoted some kind of a bulk pass on the rail system that we could use any time, rather than just a one-way point-to-point ticket to Cambridge. I think it's because she wasn't certain when exactly we were going to Cambridge.

"Eurail Selectpass 5 days within 2 months"... $760.00. I think this might be a similar thing to get us between Amersfoort and Germany, and within Germany for the week we'll be there.

I think most of the above is probably not needed, and there's easier and cheaper ways to get between our destinations...
Posted by: peter

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 11:38

"Heathrow express"... $87.00. I'm not sure what this is. I assume this is getting from the airport to our hotel or something. I dunno, I have to ask the agent.
The Heathrow Express runs from Heathrow airport to Paddington Station in central London. Tickets cost £13 each one-way. If your hotel is near a Tube (underground) station, then it's easiest to get there by Tube. Otherwise, you might as well get a taxi from Paddington.

You can alternatively get from Heathrow to the centre more cheaply on Tube alone, but it's a much longer, noisier journey (60 minutes not 15).

On the other hand, your other post says you fly in to Gatwick, London's other airport. Which is it? Plenty of trains run from Gatwick into London (to Victoria or King's Cross Thameslink stations), for about the same price. (Except, by the sound of things, between about 0130 and 0530). The "Gatwick Express" is non-stop to Victoria, but it's probably more expensive than normal train services and not a huge amount faster. Again, once at any main London railway station, getting to anywhere else in London is dead easy on the Tube.

"Britrail Days Out Pass 2 days within 8 days"... $209.00. I believe what the agent did is quoted some kind of a bulk pass on the rail system that we could use any time, rather than just a one-way point-to-point ticket to Cambridge. I think it's because she wasn't certain when exactly we were going to Cambridge.
Sounds that way. Considering that, by the time you get here, you will in fact know exactly what you're doing, it should be way cheaper to get the exact tickets, even if you buy them at the station on the day. Trains from London to Cambridge leave from King's Cross station, which once more you can get to from anywhere else by Tube.

"Eurail Selectpass 5 days within 2 months"... $760.00. I think this might be a similar thing to get us between Amersfoort and Germany, and within Germany for the week we'll be there.
I don't know anything about Europe rail travel. Rob?

Peter

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 11:46

On the other hand, your other post says you fly in to Gatwick, London's other airport.
That's a very good question. If the travel agent knew we were flying into Gatwick, why would she look up train fares from Heathrow? I'm going to corner her on that. Thanks for pointing it out.

You can alternatively get from Heathrow to the centre more cheaply on Tube alone, but it's a much longer, noisier journey (60 minutes not 15).
Thanks for pointing this out. I think a short ride to the hotel is much preferred.

Thanks, also, for the link to TheTube.com. I anticipate we're going to be using it to get around while we're in London.
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 11:59

After the meet, then we'll do Germany the following week.

I don't know if you've been to Germany before, but if you get to Munich, you have to go to the Deutsches Museum

The absolute coolest museum that I have ever been to. Give yourself at least full day to go through it.

edit: just thought that I would tell you that I was freekin' blown away by the Bridge Building exhibit . The models of the bridges are amazing.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 12:08

Thanks, we'll definitely take that into account when deciding what to do. We're also told that a boat trip up the Rhine is great, too. I wanna see some real castles.
Posted by: oliver

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 14:58

See if you can get tickets for the London Eye while you’re around London. Its well worth the money, I think it’s the highest thing in London, and you can see the whole city, and surrounding country. Plus I’m sure your daughter would love it

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 14/06/2003 15:07

Cool, thanks!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 15/06/2003 02:19

the highest thing in London
According to the rather twee "in-flight entertainment" video on the Heathrow Express last weekend, it's the fourth highest thing in London after the first Canary Wharf tower, the Post Office tower, and Tower 22 (where's that?). And I think that was before the subsequent towers were built at Canary Wharf. But none of those objects are frickin' gigantic Ferris wheels, so the Eye is still very cool.

Peter
Posted by: andy

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 15/06/2003 15:50

Tower 22

That is the one that used to be called the Natwest tower.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 15/06/2003 20:54

So Patrick, thanks for offering the ride! I haven't heard back from you though... Is Friday morning OK or should we change our plans?

Also, I still haven't heard how most of the Cambridge people are traveling to Amersfoort. I don't know how you guys usually do it?

Our travel agent tells us that the Chunnel is trains-only, not cars. Is that true? I could have sworn that some people said they were driving to Amersfoort, so I have to assume that there's a way to get there by car. Is there a ferry, and if so, what are the departure and arrival points?

If we're all by ourselves, we'd like to avoid France if possible. I don't savor the idea of changing trains in France after going through the Chunnel. But if we were traveling with someone who's done it before, then it wouldn't be a problem.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 15/06/2003 22:59

I can't speak to anyone's specific plans, but....

Our travel agent tells us that the Chunnel is trains-only,

Other trains use the Eurotunnel/Chunnel including car-carrying shuttle trains. Your agent may have formed an opinion based on what they are able to book.

... Is there a ferry, and if so, what are the departure and arrival points?

This booking site has a nice drop-down list of ferry routes... No idea about their other qualities as I've never used them. I *do* vote for a nice slow ferry crossing at least once. Summer time, shouldn't be too rocky, not really that slow (1.5 hours Dover Calais, IIRC)

If we're all by ourselves, we'd like to avoid France if possible. I don't savor the idea of changing trains in France after going through the Chunnel. But if we were traveling with someone who's done it before, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Trying to avoid the occasional French strike, are we?? Well, FWIW, you could get to Amersfoort from London by train without putting your foot on French soil, but you'd still have to see a small bit of French territory. You can get a Eurostar from London/Waterloo to Brussels, then change to the Thalys to Amsterdam/Schilpol, then change to Amersfoort.

The Bahn's schedule site will let you look at your options (but won't give pricing for many cross-system bookings).

From a cost perspective, you are in a tougher spot since British Rail isn't an option in many (all?) of the multi-country rail passes, so the idea of getting a 3-country "select" pass is less useful if your itinerary plan is UK/Netherlands/Germany.

My memory is that Eurostar tickets were extra-expensive when I booked them on day of departure, and, if your schedule firms up, you might save a bit by booking before you leave. If your agent doesn't seem up to speed on rail ticketing, I can say that I gave had decent experience with Rail Europe over the phone for complicated tickets. The Rick Steves site also showed some sorts of sales omnpasses, so you might take a gander there.

Do I take it you might think about getting a car and driving from England? (just wondering about dragging a RHD car around in LHD countries and whether an agency would even let you drop it without charging big bucks...)

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 15/06/2003 23:06

Thanks, Jim. That was a very informative post. I'm printing it to have with me the next time I talk to the travel agent.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 01:03

Also, I still haven't heard how most of the Cambridge people are traveling to Amersfoort. I don't know how you guys usually do it?
Planet Empeg will be driving from Cambridge to Harwich (about 70 miles), getting the fast (3.5h) ferry to Hook of Holland, and driving from Hook (Hoek) to Amersfoort (70 more miles). I'm not sure who from Empeg is driving -- I've not been following the discussions as I can't make it this year.

Because Cambridge to Harwich is transverse, and all the railways in these parts run radial from London, it's virtually as hard to get to Harwich by train as it is to get to Amersfoort itself via Calais. Or you could fly Stansted-Amsterdam, but all in all your best bet, as you said from the word go, is "A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort".

Peter
Posted by: schofiel

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 01:12

As far as I know, all the empeg'ers are coming by car, on the Harwich - Hoek van Holland High speed catermeran (excellent boat - 4 Jumbo jet engines!!).

The Chunnel is all trains, but the trains carry cars/trucks, or carry express passenger trains. The freight trains are seperate from passenger. If you want to catch the car train, you drive from London to Folkstone, then drive onto the train with your car, wait 30 mins, and drive off into France on the other side. You then have a 3.5 hour drive at reasonable speeds to get to Amersfoort. If you want to do this, mail me for instructions on the route. This is not a cheap option as you'd have to hire a car for European travel - not cheap. In fact, b***** expensive.

If you want to get a foot passenger train, then you will need to get a Eurostar express from Waterloo in London. This gets you to Brussels in Belgium (2.5 hours), where you then have to change onto a NS International train to get to Amsterdam via Rotterdam (about 5 hours). Although this is a pretty good, comfortable journey, it is a LONG one. You would still have to get a train to Amersfoort from Amsterdam. If you are based in London, then I would suggest buying a set of Underground (Tube) travel passes for the time you are there, and use it in preference to taxis to reduce costs. It also allows you rapid travel between all the major railways stations to allow you to get out to Cambridge or Brussels.

I would avoid getting a Eurorail pass unless you specifically want to use the trains as your primary transport during the time you're over here. It's the sort of thing I'd buy if I wanted to spend about 2 months touring Europe by train, but to get here cheaply I would not bother booking tickets in advance, and simply book them when you arrive in the UK, or when you get to NL. This would be cheaper, and I've never had a problem getting tickets.

My feeling is, you should get the tube from your hotel on the Thursday, travel up to Cambridge on the train, stay over one night in a low-cost hotel, hitch a lift with the lads early Friday morning to Harwich and go with them on the Jet boat to NL. That way, you also get a chance to eat a green chicken Thai curry at the Wrestlers.

In about 2 years time, you'll be able to catch a direct train Waterloo - Amsterdam on the Eurostar or Thalys TGV trains, about 6 hours duration. Now THAT would be worth getting up early for.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 01:25

You won't have time to travel to Cambridge on Friday morning, see the office and get to Harwich before the 10:40 AM boat. You will need to be in Harwich by around 9:30 AM, which means leaving Cambridge around 8 - 8:30 (rush hour). You will really need to be in Cambridge the night before, which means you will only be able to spend one+ day(s) in London. This ain't going to give you much time to see anything, so I would say you need to do some *serious* talking about what you want to see of London in one day - say two, or three major landmarks. Also, bear in mind travel times both around, and out of, London - you need to prepare beforehand to make sure you don't miss trains.

If you arrive on the red-eye at Gatwick, you will probably be able to get to London by about 10 AM. You will be jet lagged, I suspect, and then have to start sight-seeing with a tired little daughter in what will for you be the middle of the night. You will have Wednesday PM (Tower Hill/Tower of London/Tower Bridge???), Wed eve (West end Show, if you can get tickets - then you have to go and see Piccadily and Leicester square - eat at Wong Kei's (Wonkys) Chinese and enjoy wonderful food but the Worst Restaurant Service In The Known Universe), Thursday AM Houses of Parliament/London Eye/Thames Cruise and then around 2 PM you'd need to be heading North for Cambridge. Tight!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 01:27

Err.... Mark, the event is on the Saturday....
Posted by: h_blake

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 03:07

Sorry to join this late - I haven't looked at the bbs over the weekend.
I'll be driving from Bedford via Cambridge on the Friday morning to catch the same HSS service as the empeg guys.

I can give you a lift from Cambridge or Harwich or you could even crash in Bedford on the Thursday night.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 04:02

I'm not sure who from Empeg is driving

The reason that none of us have piped up with an offer of a lift is that we're not gonna have much (any?) room:

Hugo & Claire are going in Hugo's NSX (2 seater)
Rob's taking Mark in his Supra (2 seater, effectively)
I'm taking John G (and Patrick, IIRC) in my car, which _is_ 4 seater, but will already have 3 people in it.

And I think that that's about it.

There are other people coming over from the UK (e.g. Henrick), so you'll almost certainly be able to cadge a lift with them.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 06:09

Sorry about ignoring you, I've just put in two 20-hour days in a row to finish a project before the deadline, and I didn't really have time to read the BBS

I'm going up to Cambridge sometime on the 3rd, as the ferry leaves early in the morning on the 4th. I can certainly swing through London on the way, although this would best be done either late in the evening or around mid-day, to avoid the rush-several-hours. My car isn't huge, but it's large enough to carry four people and a bag each, as well as the stuff I'm taking to Amersfoort. Assuming you can get a lift over to Holland with Henrick or someone else, there should be no problem.

If, on the other hand, no one has any room for everyone who wants to go, it would be possible to book a ticket and take my car over as well, which is what I was originally going to do before I was offered a lift. It would cost about £300, and we could split it I'd have to know soon though.

pca

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 10:26

I'm going up to Cambridge sometime on the 3rd, as the ferry leaves early in the morning on the 4th. I can certainly swing through London on the way, although this would best be done either late in the evening or around mid-day, to avoid the rush-several-hours. My car isn't huge, but it's large enough to carry four people and a bag each, as well as the stuff I'm taking to Amersfoort.
Thank you, Patrick! I will take you up on this offer. I realize now (from what everyone else just said) that my plan for going to Cambridge on Friday morning was foolhardy, and I agree that we should be going on Thursday night.

It's OK that we only get a day in London. Truth is that Jenny doesn't like big cities (we're hoping to book time in a much more rural part of Germany the following week) and will be pleased to know that we're spending one less day in London. It's a bit of a compromise... I want to see London and wouldn't mind a few days there, but Jenny would be happiest with zero days. So we're meeting in the middle.

Patrick, please PM me with your contact details so that I can call you when we're in London and we can coordinate where and when to meet for the ride. What I figure we'll do is leave our bags at the hotel desk after we check out Thursday morning, then go mess around the first part of the day Thursday. Then meet you back at the hotel, grab the bags, and catch the ride to Cambridge.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 10:34

I'll be driving from Bedford via Cambridge on the Friday morning to catch the same HSS service as the empeg guys. I can give you a lift from Cambridge or Harwich ...
Deal! Thank you! I assume this means that you've got room for three others in your car, and that the car in question is riding the boat to Holland? In that case, we'll catch the ride from London to Cambridge with Patrick, and the ride from Cambridge to the ferry and Amersfoort with you.

If that's cool, please PM me with private contact details.

By the way, do the ferrys charge by person or by car? We'll pay our way whichever it is, but I was just curious.

Thanks again!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 10:38

Rob, thanks very much for the detailed information about the ferry and about the travel timing. This helps immensely.

I agree that it doesn't give us much time to see London, and that we'll be jet lagged. But your suggestions are good ones. We probably won't be doing all that much in London, but I'll use your list as a guideline.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the great help and suggestions! Can't wait to meet everyone.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 17:35

Tony,

Cambridge to Amersfoort is fine - bring an empeg if you want your own choice of music on the way!

The ferry fare is £13 each way per adult (children under four go free).

I'll PM you contact details.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 16/06/2003 19:46

bring an empeg if you want your own choice of music on the way!
Actually, this is an interesting dilemma.

I want to bring the empeg because it's an empeg meet, of course. But we want to travel extra light for this trip and every little bit counts. Plus, I don't want it to get lost or damaged in europe when it's going to spend most of its time packed away anyhow.

On trips where I'm not pressed for space, the empeg always comes along with the AC adapter and some pretty big self-powered speakers so I've got tunes in my hotel room. Not this time, those speakers are most of a suitcase on their own.

Thanks for the lift!

Escape from Amersfoort??? - 18/06/2003 16:27

Thanks again, everyone, for all the great help and suggestions! Can't wait to meet everyone.

Well, woot, looks like you face having to put up with me, too! I called United and they had zero problems shifting my outbound trip into Amsterdam arriving 7/4. I need to make sure that I attend to an appropriate amount of job-hunting behavior during the course of my trip, but I'm thinking that the chances are about 99% that I won't pay the hotel for nothing -- that i'll actually show up.

When the itinerary e-mail came though, I thought they would delete all of my outbound from the ticket, but no. The "before" was

7/7 Seattle->London/LHR
7/8 LHR-->Dublin
7/15 Dublin-->LHR-->Seattle

The "After" is

7/3 Seattle->AMS
7/8 LHR-->Dublin
7/15 Dublin-->LHR-->Seattle

So they left that Heathrow-->Dublin hop on the ticket. Soooooo, where I initially figured I would just try to get a cheap flight from AMS to Dublin on the 6th or 7th, it now looks like it might not be a bad thing to just mosey to London and pick up the itinerary there.

Sooooo (whew, can I be more wordy??) one aspect of this is that if there's anyone heading back to England (pretty much any destination) on the eve of 6th or on the 7th and who thinks they can stand *another* tobacco-spittin' Amurrican passenger, give me a yell. I'd split the ferry and gas, of course, and it would be cool to see that new ferry if that's how it goes.

This could be very cool. I have committed to breaking my 2-month-long beer fast on this trip!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 18/06/2003 17:47

What time are you guys planning to leave Cambridge to head for Harwich?

I'm trying to get and idea of what sort of time I'll need to pick Tony up to get to the ferry in good time.
Autoroute estimates an hour and three quarters from central Cambridge - that seems a bit ott to me but I can't remember how long it took us last year.
Posted by: rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 18/06/2003 22:12

It takes me about an hour, so I'd estimate 45 mins for Hugo and about an hour and a half for sensible people.

Rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 19/06/2003 03:39

The AA route planner reckons 1hr 38mins.

Since I've only once beaten the AA route planner (M4, London to Bristol -- shaved 30 minutes off the estimated time), and it doesn't seem to underestimate, that's probably what I'll plan with.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 19/06/2003 10:02

Hey, thanks Henrick.

From the looks of things, I think it's likely that we'll be staying at the Crowne Plaza in Cambridge if that helps you planning.

Sure you can fit all five of us plus luggage in your car?

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 19/06/2003 10:04

Hey, Jim, great to know you're coming, too!

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 19/06/2003 11:08

Woo hoo! Yah, welcome aboard, Jim!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 01:30

Tony,

Thanks for the Hotel details. It looks like I'll need to pick you guys up at about 8 o'clock on the Friday morning.

As for space in the car, there should be no problem getting 5 people plus luggage in one of these
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 02:15

Hey henrick

Any chance of crashing at yours again this year and i can play follow the leader across holland
Posted by: andym

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 03:05

Anyone from the northwest/manchester going? My week leading up to the meet is looking really hectic. But I have a feeling this year will be worth going. I might manage a day on Saturday if I fly out really early and come back dead late. We'll have to see.....

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 03:57

well if you can get friday off i could stop at manchester and then we go red eye express for the empeg boat leaving for the hook of holland

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 04:33

Hi Paul,

There should be crashing space if you need it.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 05:48

excellent we shall see nearer the time if unless i am stopping further north to pick somebody up

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 08:54

Is that really your car??

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 09:34

Thanks for the offer, but the meeting I was going to be attending first thing has now moved to late-afternoon. I assume that's going to be too late for you. I think I'll have to leave it 'till next year....

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 09:36

Just fake your own death it is the only answer though after the meet you won't need much faking i wonder if the sunday morning treasure hunt will be more successful than the last one, probably not.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 09:57

What time could you be in Manchester and what is the point of no return? I'm sat here really [censored]in frustrated, I wanted go all bloody year and some tit down in London decides this should be the day to have a meeting.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 10:21

As for space in the car, there should be no problem getting 5 people plus luggage in one of these
/me wipes tea off the monitor again.

Thanks, I needed that this morning.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 10:33

Well ideal planning would be i head for manchester and get there thursday night crash at yours if posible and then leave there early friday morning and head for ferry from harwich damn early friday morning aka the red eye express then we get the whole empeg meet and then come back sunday evening sailing i crash at yours again and then head north again.

You almost made it last year go for it this year it is worth it if only for Mrs robs cheesecake ( if you are fast enough to get a piece )

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 10:42

Hey this is europe we all drive cars this big
Posted by: tman

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 10:56

I've gotten 9 people in a Ford Fiesta once. Wasn't particularly comfortable as you can guess. There was nobody in the boot so could have got 10...

- Trevor

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 11:20

I've gotten 9 people in a Ford Fiesta once.
So were you a sad clown or a happy clown?

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 11:31

I'd say sad. It was really uncomfortable because it was a 3 door version and the front seat wouldn't lock into place. I was in the front passenger side, my then girlfriend was driving and there were 7 people in the back. 3 sitting on the seats, another 3 on top of them and the final person lying across everybodies lap
And in case anybody was wondering, we didn't go very far and it wasn't on public roads.

- Trevor

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 11:41

With nine people in a fiesta would it not be easier and genrally more fun and posibly faster just to carry the damn thing. I remeber when i was about 18 a friend had a tiny Mk1 fiesta and it was about four of us going around in it you'd be amased at the parking places you can put a car when you just pick one end up and dump it where you want it.

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 20/06/2003 13:56

Thanks, Tony, Mark. I am looking forward to it, fingers crossed.

Airlines are bizarre (we knew this). What I had booked was one of my last United award tickets, first class. I expected difficulties, as they have downsized equipment a lot (like in this case from a 777 to a 767-ER on the leg to Amsterdam from O'Hare) and award seats are scarce, but as it turned out not only could I have a seat, but I could have my pick of any of the 10 in first.

So I looked on United to see if maybe that ORD-->AMS flight was empty and might there be some fire-sale ticket prices somebody else might be interested in, but a "cheapest" coach ticket was over $1500! It's going to be really interesting to see how full this plane is. I expect most of the folks taking those other 9 seats will be deadheading flight crew.

So, Tony, I expect Jenny is bringing the FAQ, right?

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 20/06/2003 15:25

I just travelled a United 767 from IAD to LHR - crammed full ($600 offers to take a different flight). I think AMS is a less busy route though.

Rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 15:27

We should get mobile numbers swapped to meet up on the ferry, assuming everyone's taking the Friday morning HSS from Harwich.

Alternatively, you'll find me at the Blackjack table

Rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 20/06/2003 16:08

>Alternatively, you'll find me at the Blackjack table

And I'll be the one with the honking BIG lens on my digital SLR..

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 05:45

Oh, it will, don't worry about that...

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 06:09

Not tried it with a Fiesta but I know somebody with a Smart car. We've picked it up a few times and turned it around or moved it just so he thinks he's going crazy

- Trevor

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 11:17

And I'll be the one with the honking BIG lens on my digital SLR..
What, and pray that your camera can snatch a glimpse the dealer's hole card from a distance? Most dealers are so good you wouldn't even be able to do that if your head was lying on the table and you were watching intently for it.
Posted by: Cris

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 12:43

Open offer to all !!!

I will be leaving from Kent (Canterbury) [edit] early [/edit] afternoon on Friday, going on the EuroTunnel etc... Only me in the car (its only a Mazda 323F) I would be willing to take along others. I don't really have the time to go too far out of the way.

No EuroTunnel tickets are booked as yet, so if others want to meet up, we still can.

Andy M - Are you in London Friday afternoon ??? If so you could catch the train to Canterbury and catch as lift with me, I live in Leeds, I may be stopping overnight in Canterbury on the way back too, but if not I could give you a lift back up ???

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: andy

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 14:50

And I'll be the one with the honking BIG lens on my digital SLR

How will that differenciate you from any other American or Canadian tourists on the boat ?

;-)

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 16:44

Thanks for the offer Christian, unfortunatley the aforementioned tit is in London, the meeting however is still in Manchester.

Okay, here's what I think I'm going to do, my friend Steve and I will catch the easyjet liverpool to amsterdam 0630 plane. We had looked at Tulip Inn in Amersfoort on Saturday night, Rob S do you know if it's any good?

Now the return trip, I think there are two options we either fly back sunday afternoon/evening, or try and cadge a lift off someone going back to the north/northwest (Christian?).....

I've spent so much time on this forum to pass up the opportunity to meet you guys in person. (Maybe it's the Grolsch talking )....

P.S. Where's the cheapest place to hire a car from? I must confess, I've not had to hire one myself before, I've hired vans in manchester myself and had cars hired though work. Which would the be best places to look?

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 16:52

easy jet are doing easy car and if you go into the easy internet cafe i am sure you could see if one is in your area see it's easy.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 21/06/2003 17:12

Hey AndyM ! ! Good to hear you'll make it over!

Car? What for?

Cheers!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 04:39

Think I'm going to need a car to get from amsterdam to amersfoort, plus I've just found out the hotel we're looking at is on the other side of town.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 06:37

I think that's a pretty easy train ride - Rob Schofield can give you the details - and the station at Amersfoort is right by the hotel. Just another option to consider..

Rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 08:28

Right then you buggers, it's all confirmed.... Should be at meet for about 1100 on Saturday, but will have to go early Sunday morning (damn you easyjet for jacking the prices up!).

But the main thing is, I'll be at the meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 08:32

Don't forget to fill in the meet form if you haven't already done so, especially if you need a room.

Thanks

Rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 08:48

I thought all the rooms were full, if this isn't the case I'll cancel the booking at the other place....

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 10:23

Don't forget to fill in the meet form if you haven't already done so, especially if you need a room.
Rob, did I fill out the meet form (or should I be asking Rob S.)? I don't remember.

I corresponded with Rob S. about the room and he said he'd reserve one for us, but I don't recall if I filled out the form or not.

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 14:12

Just out of interest, is anyone doing resistor packs at the meet?

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 22/06/2003 14:20

Andy, there may be a room available - check direct with Rob S.

Tony - I think you may have completed the form but I'm not sure. I'll check tomorrow.

Rob

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 23/06/2003 11:21

I wouldn't hire a car - you won't need it for the w/e, and there is a direct train Schiphol - Amersfoort Schothorst every half hour from the airport. Schothorst is about 500m from the hotel - it's all well organised, you know!

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 23/06/2003 11:25

Yes, Mark Lord, Patrick and myself. I am not sure who is organising the resistor packs, someone? The soldering is pretty easy to do, and I have a roll of foam tape for the displays.

Can someone organise a set of resistor packs?

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 23/06/2003 11:30

Sod resistor packs are we getting the cheesecake thing again

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 23/06/2003 11:38

I'll put in a special Cheesecake request to Merrigan

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 23/06/2003 16:04

Jim,

Do you still need a lift from Amersfoort over to the UK? If so I am heading back over on the Sunday afternoon HSS and will have space in the car.

I can drop you off at Cambridge or Bedford or anywhere between Harwich and either of those.

Cheers,

Re: A Lift from Cambridge to Amersfoort? - 23/06/2003 19:30

I've got dozens of them.

pca

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 23/06/2003 21:15

Do you still need a lift from Amersfoort over to the UK?

Ya, sure, ya betcha! HSS, that'll be swell! (Or does it get up on a plane???)

Cambridge sounds good, or anywhere.

I am starting to really look forward to this --- and my confidence that I'll get there is hitting about 99.5% Going out to the airport tomorrow to have my ticket fixed, maybe loosen up my connection through O'Hare as they are having some serious flight delays out of Seattle due to security staffing issues -- apparently the TSA folks are in a pout now that 30 percent overstaffing is no more...

Re: Escape from Amersfoort??? - 24/06/2003 05:28

apparently the TSA folks are in a pout now that 30 percent overstaffing is no more...

Oh good, perhaps they'll stop tearing my carry-ons apart for this one trip..