Mark Track -> Penguin!

Posted by: Shonky

Mark Track -> Penguin! - 14/07/2003 17:34

OK, so I'm driving home last night and I have full random on. Faith No More - King For A Day comes on. I like it so I mark it. I have a custom shuffle that puts all my marked tracks in a random order at the beginning followed by the rest of the tracks (shuffle0=Marked,marked=32768,random=1 in config.ini)

Up pops the "Mark Track" box except instead of containing Marked it read "Penguin"! Did a BBS search and can't find any reference to it - so it would seem no one else has noticed/found it.

I had a look in the player binary and amongst the strings, I found the text:
"year...Swapping next...Penguin.Shuffle off.Shuffle on..Marked..Mark cleared....Found matching artist...Foun"

When I first saw it I thought I was seeing things. Now that I have found it in the binary I know I wasn't.

Problem is that I can't seem to reproduce it. Anyone else seen it happen? Or am I the first? Some kind of Easter Egg? Do I win a prize?
Posted by: peter

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 01:38

I have a custom shuffle that puts all my marked tracks in a random order at the beginning followed by the rest of the tracks (shuffle0=Marked,marked=32768,random=1 in config.ini)
'Ecky thump, that's a good idea!

Not sure about the penguins -- I'll have a look when I get into the office...

Peter
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 06:40

"There's a Penguin on the telly!"

-Zeke
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 07:57

isn't ecky thump the yorkshire version of kung-fu?

or maybe its just a faulty "Goodies" memory
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 10:46

What's it doing?

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 11:31

Standin'!

-Zeke
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 14:08

Warning off topic.

Did you find the larger version of your avitar picture ?
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 15:14

No, you are correct. Bird-watching Bill became a Grand Master of Ecky Thump.

Perhaps in this thread, it may have been more appropriate to use the local expression:

"Eeeeh, lad, BY GUM!!"
Posted by: image

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 15/07/2003 15:45

i was going to mention this before, but i've been swamped at work. here's how I reproduce "Penguin!"

i have it on random shuffle. probably doesnt make any difference.

basically, just mash on Tweak Artist (#2), then after 5-10 times, mash on Cancel (Mark). you're gonna see the easter egg. dunno if theres an exact sequence of button presses, but this is how i can consistently do it

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 00:58

just mash on Tweak Artist (#2), then after 5-10 times, mash on Cancel (Mark).
Yep that seems to be it. Tried it today at lunch. I think 5 presses of the "2" button is enough.

Kind of a wierd one though. Apart from the Penguin text it doesn't do a whole lot. Usually Easter Eggs have a bit more to them.

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 06:57

I believe I did (it's been a while). PM me and I'll send it via email or put it on an FTP site you can get to (when I get home).
-Zeke

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 07:06

blah. ok, exact sequence is "2 - 2 - 4". i think the empeg guys were trying to be clever.... isn't the kernel revision they based it on v2.2.4?

edit: found out via ext3 discussion that it was based on 2.2.14. i was close =)
Posted by: peter

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 07:15

blah. ok, exact sequence is "2 - 2 - 4". i think the empeg guys were trying to be clever.... isn't the kernel revision they based it on v2.2.4?
Sheesh, conspiracy theorists! If you really want to know, the player software has a table of possible titles for that pop-up window, indexed by action and by whether the action is in progress, succeeded, or failed. Not all elements of the table are filled in, and the default string (if no entry is found) is, for some reason, "Penguin". One particular entry that isn't filled in is the "marking a track, in progress" one (on, presumably, the basis that marking a track is very quick and thus its in-progress message shouldn't ever be seen.)

Peter

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 07:24

Sheesh, conspiracy theorists!

Theorists? what are you talking about? The whole world is just one big conspiracy. Everything from why my car breaks down at least once a week to Micro$oft to why I'm single to .... I know it for a fact that the conspiracy is real.

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 07:30

the basis that marking a track is very quick and thus its in-progress message shouldn't ever be seen

oh, btw... bug report. doing this sequence disables the timed mark protection. if i keep on hitting mark, it switches rapidly between marked and unmarked.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 07:47

oh, btw... bug report. doing this sequence disables the timed mark protection.
Doc! It' hurts when I do this!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 07:56

Or, in the words of my favorite bug report workaround:
Don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 10:52

The whole world is just one big conspiracy. Everything from why my car breaks down at least once a week to Micro$oft to why I'm single to ....

What is that line, something to the effect of "Just because I am paranoid does not mean that they aren't out to get me."
Posted by: foxtrot_xray

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 11:45

I think the quote is:
Just because YOU'RE not paranoid dosn't mean they're NOT out to get you. I use that alot..

Me.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 16/07/2003 22:13

Heh. That's quite funny. Just yesterday, I had a chat with one of our animation software programmers. Animators were having problems of the time bar in the channel editor not updating properly. He fixed that, and was releasing a new version, but the new version came with a new bug -- sometimes when you hit the next or previous keyframe buttons, the time mark would skip over keyframes. The workaround? Press the mouse button faster. Boy, did I ever get an odd look when I passed that on to the animators.
Posted by: Captain_Chaos

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 18/07/2003 08:47

In reply to:

Or, in the words of my favorite bug report workaround:

What's the text of that bug report?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Mark Track -> Penguin! - 18/07/2003 08:57

Under 2.7 (on pasta displayed remotely) rapidly clicking mouse buttons (1,2 and 3) on day, month, week and year view buttons, in dtcm with LANG=he_IL, gets the following XError:

<blah>
X Error of failed request: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
<blah>

Due to long redraw (backing store delays) I guess it would be reasonable to assume that the latency in the Xm/Xt/X &/or complex text layout layers might be the cause.
Then there's some actual patch information.