so why no alpha leaks?

Posted by: image

so why no alpha leaks? - 25/07/2003 13:51

driving to work today, i encountered a wav file, and i went to thinking.... i sure wish i can load this up as flac. wonder what the empeg guys could've done to make all recipients to never release it in the wild....

NDA was the first thought, but the conspiracy theorist in me is leaning towards the idea that the long awaited "call home" feature has been added to v3, and each cd-r given out was coded with a different identifier. empeg ever gets an internet connection, empeg guys recieve the v3-identifier and serial. if more than one serial matches a single identifier..... blacklist time =).

or mebbe the super secret cyanide implants which trigger via the empeg irda port that pca have been developing has been tested on the recipients.

or this could be a delusional friday post while i try to sit still in my desk, counting the minutes. nyeah, oh wells.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 25/07/2003 13:55

Naw, it's just that they've got the death satellites trained on us 24 hours a day.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 25/07/2003 15:45

Naw, it's just that they've got the death satellites trained on us 24 hours a day.

Satellite Schmattelite! They can't hurt me as long as I'm wearing my tinfoil hat!

tanstaafl.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 25/07/2003 20:01

Or maybe it's a conspiracy.

Rob: Hey guys, wanna play a little joke on everyone else?

Tony: Can I write a FAQ for it?

Others: Sure!

Rob: We're gonna post pictures of a CD with a v3 label, and all you guys have to do is pretend you got a copy!

Wake up guys, there was no moon landing, and there is no V3.

Posted by: tfabris

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 25/07/2003 21:30

Wake up guys, there was no moon landing, and there is no V3.
Yeah, you can totally see the strings in this shot.

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 25/07/2003 21:54

Yeah, you can totally see the strings in this shot.

look how fake that shot is. totally photoshopped. you can tell because they did a bad job with rob's right hand. what a bad attempt to make it look like he's holding that white unit.

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 26/07/2003 21:50

/me starts to feel better about not having gone to the meet.
Posted by: robricc

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 27/07/2003 20:11

I don't know what I can or cannot say about v3a3, but it is real. It crashed on me about 10 times today, but it is real.
Posted by: dngovy

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 27/07/2003 20:20

is it just me or does the karma unit in that pic look really big??
Posted by: andym

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 01:42

In reply to:

I don't know what I can or cannot say about v3a3, but it is real. It crashed on me about 10 times today, but it is real.

Ditto, that's why it's only on my spare.
Posted by: jbrinkerhoff

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 07:55

So, for the uninitiated and salavating.... and forgive me if I've missed it somewhere, but what features can we maybe expect in v3? Crossfading? DSP plugins? Visualization plugins? Oh please someone leak the beans....

-Jeff
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 08:56

The main points were mentioned here

/Michael
Posted by: mlord

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 10:06

Oh.. and speaking of alpha leaks..

I hope to receive the new cardboard shipping boxes this week, and the first new dock that I send out in one will include my Amersfoort v3alpha CD!

Of course, I'm not sure how much use it'll be.. Air Canada baggage handlers seem to take a rather perverse pride in their abilities..

Cheers
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 10:16

!!!Photos!!! We want photos! How badly did they mangle it?
Posted by: pim

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 10:51

driving to work today, i encountered a wav file, and i went to thinking.... i sure wish i can load this up as flac

There's no support for flac in v3.00-alpha3. At least the version of emplode that was on the same CD will not upload flac.

In theory, there might be hidden flac support in the player, though. I'm busy adding ogg/wav/wma support to mp3tofid, and might throw in flac just as well, just to see what will happen.

Pim

Posted by: tonyc

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 10:54

Hm, this poses an interesting question... I've added support for custom ID3 tag information in emphatic, to be displayed in custom info modes. What kind of tag are OGG and FLAC using for their metadata? Or is there such a thing? I guess if people are going to start making mass use of OGG, FLAC, and WMA, I should think about supporting their metadata as well...

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 11:52

Well, that polycarbonate stuff is pretty tough -- disc looks perfectly normal from the label side. But underneath.. it's cracked (broken through) from the outside edge to the centre in one place, and the foil is flaking off..

Probably playable, but not in my players! Frisbee, perhaps.

Cheers

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:00

What kind of tag are OGG and FLAC using for their metadata?

It's not all that different. These are the codec tag values I've seen:
mp3, vorbis, wma, wave
I suppose the flac codec name will be "flac".

V3.00-alpha3 supposedly supports drm-protected wma files.
I haven't tried any, but they get an extra tag: "drm=msasf".

Pim
Posted by: DLF

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:02

Unless Rob V is bigger than the Andre the Giant was, I'd say it's just you. Looks about right to me.

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:06

You're referring to the *1 fids and not the actual tags embedded in the files, right? I was asking about the actual tags which I read from mp3's via libid3tag. flac, ogg, etc. don't use ID3 tags, do they?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:22

Vorbis metadata
FLAC metadata, which references the above.

You might also want to check out the sources of oggenc and metaflac.

Also, flac is being transistioned to Ogg FLAC, which means that it ought to be able to keep metadata in the encapsulating OGG stream, just like Vorbis can but doesn't.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:22

V3.00-alpha3 supposedly supports drm-protected wma files.
Really? I’m still a little behind on all of this digital rights stuff, but does this mean that V3 will let me buy music online and play it on the empeg?
Posted by: rob

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:23

No it doesn't support DRM even if it says it does. MS DRM is not compatible with a GPL OS.

Rob

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:27

Hmm... Any C implementations of the above so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? I'll go Googling but anyone knows of any good ones, it'd be helpful.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:27

Not that I don't believe you, but I still don't understand what an OS has to do, licensing-wise, with a decoder application. Unless it's an arbitrary MS restriction.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:34

No it doesn't support DRM even if it says it does.
I figured as much from our earlier conversation about buymusic.com.
MS DRM is not compatible with a GPL OS
Is this because if you're using a GPL OS then you don't deserve the "right" to your music?

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:41

You're referring to the *1 fids and not the actual tags embedded in the files, right?

Yeah, right.

I was asking about the actual tags which I read from mp3's via libid3tag.

Ok.

flac, ogg, etc. don't use ID3 tags, do they?

Ogg uses "vorbis comments" which is basically an array
of name=value pairs where you can use any name you
like. See http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html

Flac uses vorbis comments natively, but allows id3v1 and
id3v2 frames. The ripper I use doesn't support native flac
(ie vorbis comments) tags, but does support id3v2 , so go
figure ..

wma has text objects which may contain all sorts of tags,
including lyrics. Windows Media Player used to come with
a David Byrne song that had complete lyrics embedded.

If you want to read wma properties you have to use either
the windows-only api, or build your own code from the
specs Microsoft released ... In my case, I stole most of the
code from the mplayer project and from emptool.

Pim

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:47

You mean C implementations that do not use libvorbisfile and libflac, respectively?

Pim

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 12:53

Well, I didn't say it supports playing them ...

Pim

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 13:30

You mean C implementations that do not use libvorbisfile and libflac, respectively?
Hmm, as long as those libs both have separate calls to just get file metadata (without saying "I want to decode and play this file") then those will work fine. I'll look into them first.

Since you already seem to be on your way to WMA metadata support, I'll probably hold off on reinventing that particular wheel, and start with flac and/or ogg.

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 28/07/2003 14:52

Hmm, as long as those libs both have separate calls to just get file metadata (without saying "I want to decode and play this file") then those will work fine.

Yes they do. libvorbisfile is really easy, but I'm having trouble reading the libflac API docs.
So I took the metaflac source as a base and tried to simplify it into just listing metadata,
but I guess I oversimplified something ... I'd be interested other examples (in C, not C++).

I have ogg and wma working now, I just need to do the necessary character encoding
conversions. wma uses UTF-16, and ogg and flac use UTF-8, although flac needs a
conversion from raw (whatever that is) to UTF-8 first.

Pim

Posted by: TheRhino

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 18/08/2003 11:45

Oh.. and speaking of alpha leaks..

I hope to receive the new cardboard shipping boxes this week, and the first new dock that I send out in one will include my Amersfoort v3alpha CD!

Of course, I'm not sure how much use it'll be.. Air Canada baggage handlers seem to take a rather perverse pride in their abilities..

Well, I guess I was the lucky winner - I think. I didn't bother trying to put that disc in my computer yet. It cracked half way through, and it looks as though there is some glue on the bottom of it. I'll post a pic of it soon....
Posted by: andym

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 18/08/2003 12:25

Maybe wait 'till this guy makes one that works on CDs!
Posted by: TheRhino

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 18/08/2003 17:45

Oh, cool look! A top secret 3.00 alpha CD from Amersfoort!!

AHHH!! Too bad the thing is cracked and unplayable. Why must thou torture me?!?!?

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 18/08/2003 17:54

Ah yes, that does look familiar!

(and why does this thread cause my mozilla to use a different font for the entire page..??)

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 18/08/2003 23:37

I don't know -- the font is fine in my mozilla and konqueror. And to stay on topic of this threat -- as the Alpha male in my household, I'm going to take a leak. Maybe that will satisfy the initiator of this thread?

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 19/08/2003 00:39

nyeah, a cd would do.

Re: so why no alpha leaks? - 19/08/2003 06:38

Hmmm.. in mozilla->preferences I had unchecked "allow documents to use other fonts". When I now "check" that item, this thread displays correctly.

Weird.