Austin, TX nano-meet?

Posted by: mlord

Austin, TX nano-meet? - 23/08/2003 21:30

Hi all,

I'm in Austin, Texas, USA pretty much all of next week for work.

Anyone wanna do din's, on, say, Wednesday evening?

-ml
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 23/08/2003 22:30

You're quite the globetrotter, aren't you, Mark?
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 24/08/2003 04:54

I'd be interested. Have to talk to the wife before I can commit, but either Wednesday or Thursday would work best for us.

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 24/08/2003 05:38

>You're quite the globetrotter, aren't you, Mark?

Nah, I think Jim and Alvin (Mach) are the true globetrotters here.
But I do get around once in a while!

Well, I'm off to the airport.. hopefully I'll find email access there.

Cheers
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 25/08/2003 17:51

sure thing, where abouts are you staying?
Posted by: Daria

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 25/08/2003 20:04

Not a chance, but I'd like to come. I want to be a nano-meeter.

(runs away)
Posted by: paulj

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 25/08/2003 21:53

I'm in, woo, a chance to meet the Lord Weds. is definitely best for me; tues/thurs I'm busy til about 9:30pm which is past dinnertime but I can maybe catch up with ya'll for drinks if one of those days ends up best. What part of town are you staying in and what kind of food have you got in mind (if any)?

--pj
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 26/08/2003 05:46

<groan>
Posted by: peter

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 26/08/2003 06:19

<groan>
While we're doing SI units, I was in a taxi in Athens the other months, when I saw a sign indicating roadworks at 100{mu}. I was still a bit groggy from the previous night's big fat wedding, so I actually thought for a moment, "Hey, they place their roadworks very accurately over here", before realising that {mu} is the first letter of metre, in Greek. But this made me think: how do Greeks tell the difference between millimetres and micrometres? Do they write them m{mu} and {mu}{mu} respectively?

Peter
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 26/08/2003 06:56

Well, we use a letter from an alphabet that's not our own, so why shouldn't they?

Of course, I have no idea if that's actually the way they do it IRL.

Tangentially, I wish Drakino would go ahead and add that patch I gave him to activate character element support. Wait. Lemme make sure: &mu;. Nope.

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 26/08/2003 13:30

Well I'd really like to meet the great Mark Lord, but unfortunately it isn't going to work out like I though it would. Too bad, because I was looking forward to it.

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 26/08/2003 15:05

Well, no email access here (primitive @#$@#$ proxy servers.. gotta set up a cgi to invoke sshd someday Real Soon Now..).

But if anyone wants to get together WEDNESDAY for dinner, a sight-see, and/or a geo-cache, then you can gimme a ring and leave a message at my hotel.
Mark Lord, Room 534
Holiday Inn
AUSTIN-SOUTH(BERGSTROM INT'L)
3401 S. I-35
AUSTIN, TX 78741
UNITED STATES
Toll-Free: 1-800-465-4329
Tel: 1-512-4482444

I'm busy until 5:30pm or so, and I'll check messages once I get back to the hotel. If more than one person is interested, I suggest you post here (or PM each other) and agree on a plan of sorts (I'm easy), and then one of you leave me a message saying when/where, and a cell-number where I can call and confirm things with you.

Cheers!
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 26/08/2003 18:48

Theres a user here named "davec" from Austin. Might PM him...

( I remember that, because a while back I was seriously thinking of moving there, and I noticed his location in his signature - in case I decided to ask him about the place)

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 27/08/2003 13:10

*ping* FerretBoy, ashmoore, ya'll up for this tonite? if so, when & where?

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 27/08/2003 13:14

Nope, I won't be able to do it. Really wish I could.

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 27/08/2003 18:10

sorry, I just got back in from work

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 27/08/2003 21:05

No worries. We did dinner at Threadgills Armadilly WHQ & dessert at Amy's Ice Cream on 6th followed by beer at the Gingerman and walking up and down 6th st some. Tried to give him the whole Austin experience You'll have to ask him how well I succeeded.

--pj

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 28/08/2003 05:22

beer at the gingerman?!?
and I missed it, crap

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 28/08/2003 15:23

Hey, I can highly recommend PaulJ as an authentic Austin tour guide any day!

Thanks, Dude!
Posted by: davec

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 03/09/2003 14:23

Oh fer chrissakes! See what happens when you actually have to do work? Away for a few day and you miss a nano-meet in your own friggin' town!!!

And I threw a rod in the boat motor on Saturday, it just ain't my week...
Posted by: davec

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 03/09/2003 14:26

a while back I was seriously thinking of moving there

There's more space than ever, people seem to have left in the past few years. Come on down!
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: Austin, TX nano-meet? - 03/09/2003 20:24

I tried for a year but couldn't get anything, everyone wants computer people who are way more computerized than me (I can build them but not design the circuits). Nothing for a mechanical engineer anywhere that I could find, I was using headhunters and even having the newspaper sent to me for the classifieds.

I ended up with a great job here in Minneapolis though, and decided to stay put. My family that was living there is about to move up near Arlington anyways.

Thanks though!