Flac to MP3

Posted by: thinfourth2

Flac to MP3 - 18/10/2003 08:42

okay which is the easiest way assuming i have lame, eac and flac installed on my machine since i have not figured out how to make flac and mp3 together

unless someone nows how to set up EAC with mareo http://mareo.netfirms.com/ so it spits out a flac and a lame file together

Posted by: Mataglap

Re: Flac to MP3 - 18/10/2003 10:09

Flac to lame mp3? Lamedrop or something like that. That's one of the great things about FLAC is that you just transcode it when ever you need to since it's a lossless codec. Do you need them both at the same time, right after ripping?

--Nathan
Posted by: Mataglap

Re: Flac to MP3 - 18/10/2003 14:00

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showtopic=11267&hl=flac+to+mp3

It looks like lamedrop[XPd] doesn't know FLAC.

A mareo action line would be something like this:

flac NONE NONE FullyQualifiedPathToFlac\flac.exe "@source@" --output-name="@dest@"

This would put the flac file in the same dir as the mp3

--Nathan

Re: Flac to MP3 - 18/10/2003 14:12

the best solution would be to rip and then get a flac and a mp3 spat out into seperate directorys sorted by artist

i am none too sure of getting these command lines just now just ripping to flac and hopefully get it sorted out later

hope i don't run out of hard disc space
Posted by: kds

Re: Flac to MP3 - 18/10/2003 16:13

I was unable to figure out a way to get the MP3 and FLAC files in separate locations when using EAC and Mareo. I ultimately realized I preferred a two-step process:

Step 1: Rip & FLAC encode all CDs
Step 2: Batch transcode all FLACs to MP3, WMA, etc.

This was optimal for me since Step 1 is the most time-consuming and Step 2 slows down Step 1. Moreover, it's easy to kickoff Step 2 to run overnight.

Assuming you wish to batch convert an existing directory full of FLACs to MP3 using LAME you can use the following script (Win32). Just paste it into a .cmd or .bat file, modify the five environment variables to match your system, modify the LAME parameters to suit your needs, and run it.

Notes:
* This script only works with a single level hierarchy (all FLACs in %FLACDIR% with no sub-directories
* The MP3 files won't have ID3 tags

Hope this helps,
Keith

@ECHO OFF

SET FLACDIR=D:\FLAC
SET MP3DIR=D:\MP3
SET FLACEXE=D:\util\flac.exe
SET LAMEEXE=D:\util\lame.exe
SET LOGFILE=D:\Logs\FLACtoLAME.log

subst q: %FLACDIR%
subst r: %MP3DIR%

FOR /R "q:\" %%I IN (*.flac) DO (
IF NOT EXIST "r:%%~pI" (
mkdir "r:%%~pI"
ECHO Created r:%%~pI
ECHO Created r:%%~pI>>"%LOGFILE%"
)

IF NOT EXIST "r:%%~pnI.mp3" (
ECHO Creating r:%%~pnI.mp3

"%FLACEXE%" -d -c -s "%%I" | "%LAMEEXE%" --alt-preset extreme --silent - "r:%%~pnI.mp3"

ECHO Created r:%%~pnI.mp3>>"%LOGFILE%"
) ELSE (
ECHO Exists r:%%~pnI.mp3
ECHO Exists r:%%~pnI.mp3>>"%LOGFILE%"
)
)

subst q: /d
subst r: /d

SET FLACDIR=
SET MP3DIR=
SET FLACEXE=
SET LAMEEXE=

Re: Flac to MP3 - 18/10/2003 17:12

great makes me realise i'm not the only one who can't get mareo working

No idea how to make up a or use script but gives me a few pointers.

i shall keep going with the flacs and then work out the over to MP3 stage while i am at it.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Flac to MP3 - 19/10/2003 19:41

I started writing a FLAC to MP3 converter in VB until I found out dBpowerAMP Music Converter did what I wanted for free.

Also download the optional (still free) file selector add-on to do batch encodes.