Would a PDA be useful in this situation?

Posted by: dodgecowboy

Would a PDA be useful in this situation? - 21/10/2003 13:02

ok, My dad wants to be able to write up estimates in his truck, connect to the internet, and be able to print. My question is, will a PDA be able to do all this, or will he just need to use a laptop? I can set it up with a laptop, but I have never used a PDA before so I am not sure what they are capable of.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Would a PDA be useful in this situation? - 21/10/2003 13:45

Hm. i haven't looked into printing software. I guess there's something I should do tonight.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Would a PDA be useful in this situation? - 21/10/2003 13:55

I used a demo of PrintBoy to send a document from a Palm III to an HP LaserJet 6 over infrared once. That was pretty cool.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Would a PDA be useful in this situation? - 21/10/2003 14:02

New iPAQs come w/ a utility to print from certain applications. If you can save as an excel file then you can probably print from an iPAQ. They can also connect to the Internet via WiFi or Bluetooth.

Stu
Posted by: dodgecowboy

Re: Would a PDA be useful in this situation? - 21/10/2003 14:25

Cool, Thanks for the info guys, I found some estimating software already for palm os, so I guess now he just needs to figure out which one he wants.
Posted by: mwest

Re: Would a PDA be useful in this situation? - 22/10/2003 07:00

If you have the cash Bluetooth enabled phone, pda, and printer would do the trick. (as previously mentioned.) However search google to find pairs of hardware that are known to work already. Especially in regard to you cell phone provider. Nothing is more aggravating than being the first guy to try a particular combination.