Jemplode explained

Posted by: edsmiata

Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 07:13

Forgive my total ignorance towards programming and applications....but can somebody please explain to me what Jemplode is and why I may/may not need it?

Thanks,

Ed
Posted by: mschrag

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 07:25

jEmplode originally was just a cross-platform version of Emplode written in Java (for people on non-Windows platforms). Since then, though, it has acquired a bunch of miscellaneous features that Emplode doesn't currently support. It's basically just a competitor to Emplode at this point. It's been so long since I used Emplode, I don't recall what it doesn't do that jEmplode does (or vice versa), but I'm sure there are some people who know of some things offhand ...

ms

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 07:39

From what I am reading on the website it was primarily used for non-window based pc's......and i also remeber reading that it will allow you to back up your Empeg onto your pc in the exact way songs are arranged on the player (i.e. playlists etc.)

The question is...do i need it?!
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 07:40

A couple of features I can think of off hand:

1) Animation Editor and Flash Tool (will let you make your own boot animations and send them to the player or send someone else's creation).
2) Updating of ID3 tags. I "think" it does this... If you change track titles or whatnot, you can tell Jemplode to also update that info on the mp3. (I remember this being talked about).
3) Updating of HiJack (automatically checks HiJack site for latest version and updates your player) over ethernet.
4) Built-in Logo Editor. Has Tony Fabris Logo Editor built into the program.

I'll let someone else take over from here.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 07:42

No, you don't need it unless you're on a Mac or something. But most people that use it are Windows PC users. They use it because of the extra features that are always being added. You don't "need" HiJack either, but it's pretty useful!

Just install it and play with it. You won't break anything.

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 08:08

Thanks Brad..will do!
Posted by: cushman

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 08:14

I think the Dynamic Soup views are the best part of JEmplode.

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 08:23

That's my favorite feature too ...
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 08:58

Greetings!

A question - the main thing that prevented me from using jemplode was that it had significant trouble dealing with Windows 2000 and USB. Is this still the case?

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 09:04

It shouldn't have trouble dealing with Windows 2000, but it probably does have trouble dealing with USB -- That was always a pretty alpha feature (I never use -- no idea if anybody does actually).

ms
Posted by: Yonzie

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 09:40

I use USB exclusively... Don't have much choice either
I use Emplode though - never got around to testing JEmplode. Now I'm (nearly) free of windows though...

Totally OT: What should I use to sync with in linux with USB?

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 09:44

http://jempeg.cs.caltech.edu/serialusb-HOWTO.html

But I never use this and have no idea if it still works ...
Posted by: Yonzie

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 09:57

Thanks a bunch ^_^ Will play around with it later this week.
Posted by: bbowman

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 10:50

As far as I'm concerned, everyone NEEDS JEmplode very badly. If you don't have it - get it
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 12:30

Has Tony Fabris Logo Editor built into the program.
It has its own logo editor built in. Not specifically my logo editor.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 14:24

Yeah, the JEmplode logo editor is missing the "download logos from player" feature. I assume that Tony's program must have that by now.

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 14:30

I don't have that? I wonder why? Seems pretty easy to add in ....... weird. I have download animation from player, right?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Jemplode explained - 12/01/2004 14:33

yup. download animation is there. But I didn't see a download logos anywhere.

Cheers
Posted by: jdandrea

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 08:57

I'm still trying to get jEmplode working with USB on Mac OS X Panther (PowerBook G4). It never sees the device. Suggestions anyone?

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 09:41

There is no Empeg USB driver for OS X.

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 09:49

Bummer.

Maybe there's a way to run a crossover ethernet from the empeg to the PowerBook, but stay connected via AirPort. (Investigating.)

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 09:52

That was too easy! <LOL>

Sometimes it's right under your nose and you don't even notice it. Much better.

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 10:14

Working nicely now on OS X. About the only thing now is to figure out how to import files that have artwork (jEmplode refuses the files unless the artwork is removed prior to import).

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 12:10

What version are you using?

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 12:23

It was version 45 ... until a moment ago. Now on 51. Heh-heh.

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 12:30

Victory! Almost. Just synced up some gybe! to the empeg and it rebuilt the database ... then I saw this on output from jemplode (v51):

Retry #0 failed. (Failed to receive packet from device.)
Retry #1 failed. (Failed to receive packet from device.)
Retry #2 failed. (Failed to receive packet from device.)

Around this point the empeg rebooted, and - whaddaya know, the music is on the player. But jemplode is still showing "Rebuilding Music Database ..."

[Hey - import with pix works - yay! Thanks.]
Posted by: drakino

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 12:42

Maybe there's a way to run a crossover ethernet from the empeg to the PowerBook

There is a good chance you don't even need a crossover cable, just any normal ethernet cable. Most G4 Powerbooks released support crossing over the connection internally if needed, so you only have to carry one cable with you.

Re: Jemplode explained - 17/01/2004 12:45

Seriously? Thanks - that's even better. I used the crossover but if I can just use the regular one - fantastic.

In other news, jEmplode 51 is quite an improvement from what I've seen so far.