Yay, my new install is done! But...

Posted by: snoopstah

Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 09:01

They've screwed something up. In my old car, when you removed the key, the empeg used to switch off, but would switch on sans-key if you just pressed the on button.

In this car, you remove the key, the thing makes an almight 'pop' and the empeg is totally without power.

Any ideas?
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 09:24

If it is going in a VAG car they are bastards as they have normal iso connectors but i think the switched live and permant feed are swapped therefore you are cutting power completely to the empeg when you switch it off.

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 09:26

Ahh yes. Forgot about that. Any idea which two wires I need to swap on the dock harness (i.e. which colours )?
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 10:00

Orange and yellow.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 10:22

Please make sure to read the relevant FAQ entries here, here, and here.

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 10:28

OK, I swapped those two around (easily done, fortunately) but now the player doesn't switch off when I remove the key! I have to manually switch it off.

Ideas?

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 10:43

Right. Turns out I had two problems - it was wired incorrectly, and I have the stuck AC switch issue. I actually knew I had that, but it's been so long since I've had it in the car I completely forgot!

Thanks Tony and everyone else!
Posted by: Lupo

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 14:12

Hi, and congrats for the car! (BTW: 5 or 6speeder?)

I chime in, because I think the colors are Brown/red and Red; at least that's the cables I swapped on the car's ISO connector; if you swapped the cables on the empeg sled then I have to admit that I don't know which ones you'll have to swap.

In my Lupo I did it wrong the first time, and then the empeg never behaved the way it should have when taking the key off....i noticed 2 months later that the 5A radio fuse in the Lupo was gone...since then, no problems!

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 14:20

One of the first six-speeders. Fantastic little car! Is yours a GTI?

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 28/02/2004 14:31

Hehe, I had the joy to test-drive one for one afternoon; it's just so amazing, in every way!
I have the 1.4 tdi three cylinder, which is quite amazing for its low "thirst" :-)

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 29/02/2004 05:30

Yeah, the 1.4TDI is a great engine. You had it chipped?

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 29/02/2004 09:37

Not yet, i'm looking for a turbine swap...
Posted by: avatarTX

Re: Yay, my new install is done! But... - 07/03/2004 08:21

Ahh.. I have the same problem. I never really thought about it as being a problem, I figured thats just the way it was. Good to know that I can swap a couple of wires and fix that. It is annoying.