Cincinnati Empeg Meet

Posted by: mwest

Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/03/2004 08:44

First of all let me say that Laura does an excellent job of planning the Cincinnati meet each year. I attended the first, and heard nothing but compliments on the second. I was just wondering if any plans had been made for the third. I want to make absolutely sure that I keep my schedule open for that weekend. If I'm early excuse my anxiety. If not let the conversation begin. Thanks again Laura!
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/03/2004 09:25

Ditto. Was too close to my wedding last year, but I definitely want to schedule it in this year.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/03/2004 09:28

Yeah. If it's held again this year, I will be there. Great time.
Posted by: russmeister

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/03/2004 15:03

I'll be there if it's not on the weekend of September 17-19. I already have some things going on here I can't miss. I know we usually plan it sometime in September so I thought I'd throw that date out there stating I can't make it then.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/03/2004 18:15

Indeed, if it happens i will be there.

Hopefully I can bring my "new" car.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/03/2004 18:48

It's so nice to hear that so many want me to have it again. I would also have a new vehicle, my POS Ford Freestar to show off. Let me give it some deep thought, right now is a bad time for me to even begin to start planning it. I've got a very sick kitty that I am nursing and I will find out next week if I need to have surgery on my knee that I injured on Friday the 13th last month.

But I really do enjoy seeing everyone and it's been my only real vacation the last couple of years so chances are good that I will have it again.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 08:11

I'm glad to hear that the prospects are high! Maybe we could post a survey in a month or two for suggestions on which weekend. Is there any part of the planning that you don't care for? This thing is your deal and you do a great job. However if you hate the food, or the T-Shirt stuff, or the competition organization, or whatever we could farm out the stuff you don't like to do.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 16:11

I pretty much don't mind doing it all and that way I know it gets done without having to bug someone else. I'm not so sure if I'll be able to come up with any prizes this year or not, but I guess people would still come.

Anyone have any suggestions on things they would like to do this year?
(I like the idea of renting a house boat on Cumberland Lake but that would cost more per person.)
Posted by: drakino

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 16:17

Things I would like to do this year:
Avoid burning down the cabin with my laptop.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 16:34

Anyone have any suggestions on things they would like to do this year?
Geocaching is always fun. I'll have my gear along.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 17:07

Avoid burning down the cabin with my laptop

Did I miss something last year?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 17:57

Well, he caught it in time. It was only a little melty.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/03/2004 20:32

Did I miss something last year?
I had plugged in my laptop before going to bed one night to charge it. But I hadn't paid attention to the charge light. In the morning, I went to grab the laptop, and nearly burned myself. I saw the charger LEDs were flashing, indicating an error. The system got hot enough to actually deform part of the bottom magnesium alloy/plastic case (that happened to be facing up at the time). I thought for sure the thing had been fried, but once it was cooled down, it powered right up and worked fine.

Lesson learned, check the charge LEDs every time you plug in a customer returned laptop that you know has problems, but didn't complain since it was free.

And for the record, no, this wasn't my Powerbook that I have now. It was an older Armada M700, the same one that has been to multiple empeg meets now between CA, OH and CO.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 13/04/2004 17:15

I hate to disappoint everyone but I don't think there will be a meet this year.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/04/2004 11:18

That's terrible news!! Would you just not be able to make it or is it going to be to difficult for you to plan this year?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/04/2004 18:31

This is disappointing. Maybe one of us can put the meet together out there in the usual place and you can be a spectator this time?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/04/2004 20:11

Someone is trying very hard to change my mind so I told him I would think seriously about it this weekend. So bear with me on this.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/04/2004 10:06

I'm still not really sure how I feel about having a meet or not this year but I'm going to go ahead with it anyway. So people, start thinking of a weekend in September that you can come and I'll try and post a poll tomorrow.

Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone to have it again. Rob said he would arrange to have the t-shirts made again this year and I have a prize donor from last year also.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 25/04/2004 08:45

Any objections to having the meet September 24 - 26?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/04/2004 07:46

Any objections to having the meet September 24 - 26?
It's good to hear it's back on! This date seems fine for me.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/04/2004 07:57

Works for me. Hope my wife doesn't mind spending her birthday in Cincy.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 02/05/2004 13:53

Since no one seemed to have any objections to that date, I will call this week and reserve some cabins. How many are coming?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 02/05/2004 15:24

It's likely I will be solo, but I may have a guest.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 03/05/2004 08:38

Count me in.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 03/05/2004 08:41

Planning to be there with my wife.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 03/05/2004 13:15

Me. I should check with rmitz, and with the wife, and see if either or both intend to come.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 04/05/2004 08:38

I submitted for time off, which this early makes it a shoe in. I'll be by myself.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 04/05/2004 19:12

I'm glad that you will make it this year
Posted by: stahimooney

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/05/2004 02:15

Hell, I should be in the STATES during that time... I will try to be there.
Posted by: cwillenbrock

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/05/2004 12:58

I'd like to come, and I'll certainly try, but it's too early to count me in for sure.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/05/2004 14:43

I'll be calling to reserve the cabins tomorrow, I'll probably get 4 of them. I'll ask Tom to put up a sign up sheet soon.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/05/2004 15:02

There goes my "traveled the furthest to get here" award.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 07:59

Done deal. We have 5 of the 2 bedroom cabins reserved for the nights of September 24-25 with checkout 11:00am Sunday morning. I'll come up with event plans at a later date.

Tom, can you make a sign up sheet?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:00

Maybe I will make a "traveled the least to get there" award this year so maybe I could win something!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:02

Oh, and I did buy 2 tabletop grills we can use to cook the burgers quicker this year. I might come up with some fancier too for dinner.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:13

Between now and then I will rent a place just outside the park for a few months.

Nah, not worth it.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:16

True, Oxford being a college town would be expensive to rent anything in.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:38

I'm curious if it's worse than where I work.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:55

I have to admit... the year I was there I wanted to spend more time in the town. The worldwind nature of our visit made that impossible though.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 08:59

Will you have more time this year? We could go into town and walk around Sunday after breakfast. The first year we had lunch there and last year some did but I went on home.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 09:23

I can't remember exactly how it went... but the year we went (Meatball Man and I) I think we left South Carolina on Friday Morning and were back in time for an 8:30 service on Sunday Morning, so time was at a premium.
This year I have the Friday off for sure and probably the Monday as well if I want it.
On another subject, this year my empeg will be installed in an Xterra with a few toys I didn't have two years ago. The last time I came Meatball Man and I had the portable empeg unit... What am I going to bring this year? I'll have to put some thought into that...

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 09:35

On another subject, this year my empeg will be installed in an Xterra...
This year I will come with my Subaru SVX which hasn't been seen before by empeg people (except for customsex). The install in that thing is pretty sweet. I also have a pimpin' 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham now. I may tow the SVX behind that if there is an empeg installed by then.

So... any prize for most cars brought to the meet.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 09:41

And I'll have my impressive Ford Freestar so it will be a new install also!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 10:28

Maybe I will make a "traveled the least to get there" award this year so maybe I could win something!

I was considering vacationing there during the week before with my family so I might only be travelling 100yds. Does that count?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 10:56

I'll have consult my magic tech sphere. Strange enough it said MAKE IT SO. Darn it.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 11/05/2004 15:16

We could go into town and walk around Sunday after breakfast. The first year we had lunch there and last year some did but I went on home.

We also did some geocaching on Sunday morning last year. MLord, MCushman and myself went into town and found a few before departing. Maybe that could be a repeat with a few more people this time.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 12/05/2004 08:59

We also did some geocaching on Sunday morning last year.
I'll have my GPS and geocaching gear. Sounds like fun. I'll probably bring the Corolla, just because the gas milage is so much better than the Blazer. Hopefully will be done installing it in the next week or so.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 12/05/2004 15:21

Is anyone going to be up for paintball this year? The cost is $27.00 per person. Or they have pontoon boats, paddle boats and canoes to rent on the lake there. There is alao a large game room at the lodge with pool tables and pinball machines. I'm going to see if I can bring a portable covered firepit so we can have a mini-bonfire at the cabins.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 12/05/2004 21:01

I would definitely be up for paintball. I have always wanted to play but have never had the chance. If you remember, I mentioned something about it last year but I think it was a bit late in the game.

Or they have pontoon boots, paddle boats and canoes to rent on the lake there.

I'm not sure what pontoon boots are but I wouldn't mind some canoeing either.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 12/05/2004 21:18

pontoon boots

ummmmm, fixed now.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 06/06/2004 11:02

Ok, the sign up sheet is available at RioCar.Org now. The person that signed up on last years, could you please sign up again. The cabins will be $169 a night plus taxes (the price went up this year) which adds another $12 or so and all five of the cabins I rented are the two bedroom ones. You can let me know who wants to bunk with whom.

I have two small table top grills to bring along which will make cooking dinner easier this year. I'll be arriving Friday afternoon and setting things up and will have dinner for those that come in that evening. The price for the food will be divided up on how many attend.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/06/2004 12:46

I've signed up now for the meet. I'll be coming in Frday night and leaving sometime Sunday. I just wanted to bump the thread and see who the three people were who signed up before me. If anyone can possibly make the meet, its a lot of fun. Also, everyone send a certain cubicle dweller in New Jersey an email and tell him you'd like him to show up.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/06/2004 12:55

I haven't signed up although I hope to be there as I intend to bring my family down for a week and we'll probably camp.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/06/2004 15:12

I've asked him but can't get him to come You would be most welcomed if you came Paul, you could even have a cabin to yourself so you could stay hidden and retain your hermitship

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/06/2004 15:35

I could even set up a cubicle in the living room.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/06/2004 15:40

Maybe that will do it.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/06/2004 22:38

Signed up. Roman presumably won't be there this year, I expect he'll be working in Qatar by then. I might have to go to Manhattan Friday (it's either that Friday, or a week earlier) and if I do, I'll be coming direct from Trenton after.

If not, I'm hoping to find a way to bring the electric car, assuming it's registered by then (I need to replace some batteries, so haven't had the safety inspection so I can register it yet)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/06/2004 02:36

(I need to replace some batteries, so haven't had the safety inspection so I can register it yet)
I seem to recall reading that there was a running joke around the time that horseless carriages first started appearing... It went something like... "Wow, you got an automobile, have you driven it anywhere yet?" "No, I'm still learning how to make my own repairs."
Posted by: Roger

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/06/2004 03:27

"No, I'm still learning how to make my own repairs."

So you're saying that the horses used to do the repairs? Makes the maths geniuses of the equine world look positively cerebral.

Wait. How did they hold the spanners?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/06/2004 13:27

Just mentioning that I have signed up.

I was wondering if Mark, Genixia, or someone else handy with a soldering iron would be willing to do some non-empeg soldering at the meet? It's only 8 points and the pads are pretty big. I am just a wuss.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/06/2004 19:20

My soldering iron will be packed.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/06/2004 19:22

Awesome!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/06/2004 20:02

I'll order some memory upgrades if you're willing to do them that is.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/06/2004 10:18

Was on vacation for a week and missed this post. Just signed up.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/07/2004 03:57

I'm a CAcert assurer now. Should I bring prints of the form and a scanner with me, or will there be no one there who cares?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/07/2004 09:47

I'm interested.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 14/07/2004 13:21

Bring 2 government IDs, and ideally a printed copy of the form. I can probably bring some printed forms with me.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 04/08/2004 21:38

*bump* This deserves a little more notice / discussion...

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 04/08/2004 22:01

Thanks Paul. The meet is next month and not too many have signed up yet, I hope more plan on coming.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 00:38

Quote:
The meet is next month...

Holy crap! I wasn't even paying attention.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 00:52

so does that mean you're coming, Paul?

I wonder if I signed up...

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 08:09

Per'aps... Per'aps...

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 08:26

Yes, you're signed up So far only six people have signed up including me.

Paul, you are most welcome to come and could probably have a cabin to yourself since I have a block of five cabins reserved.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 10:45

I'm pretty sure I signed up, but if not, put me on the list.
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 15:12

Hey All

If I can get the time off this year, I'll finally be able to get down to this one myself...guess I had better sign up then.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 05/08/2004 20:34

I hope you do come John. We'll be a cheery group this year, I promise

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 07/08/2004 23:33

I can't remember if I've signed up or not but I'll be there as well. I know there was some talk about paintball and a few other things like canoeing and such. Any ideas? What do you guys want to do? I'm up for anything but paintball would be really nice. Never played; always wanted to.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/08/2004 00:48

I've always wanted to play paintball also. The cost of it is $27.00 per person plus $5.00 for coveralls or you can just use the target range for $10.00 per person. I also wanted to find out if anyone is interested in playing some sand volleyball, we could make the losing team cook dinner

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/08/2004 21:35

I'm up for both. Anyone else in?
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/08/2004 20:48

G'wan, you just KNOW you want to - and it's loads closer than Amersfoort....

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/08/2004 22:29

I may be late. The Westmoreland County DA is tough on DUI: tough enough to summon me as a witness, but not tough enough to actually have any evidence.

No, they're not pursuing charges against me. It's from this.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 31/08/2004 15:27

The meet is getting closer and if anyone else wants to sign up, please do so soon. I need to get the number of cabins settled and so far there isn't enough to fill up all 5 of them.

I'm still working on the final meal plans and activities, but I did buy a couple of whiffle balls and bats so we have something else besides frisbee to play

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 31/08/2004 16:47

Paintball and Volleyball still on the list of things to do?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 31/08/2004 17:04

Doe to the cost of playing paintball, I don't think enough will want to play but volleyball is still in.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 31/08/2004 17:28

Laura, You have a PM re: accomodations

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 31/08/2004 17:37

You have one too!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 01/09/2004 04:13

Supposedly the case settled (so says my employer from my second job; I haven't actually gotten notification yet directly)

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 01/09/2004 05:24

Quote:
Things I would like to do this year:

Attend. But that seems highly unlikely now due to:

1. Money being sucked away by "forced" home improvements by a neighboor unwilling to help in any way to fix problems.

2. Surgery likely to take up any remaining vacation time I have.

*sigh*

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 01/09/2004 13:36

You need to find a way to share the misery with your neighbor.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 01/09/2004 19:26

You will be greatly missed.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 01/09/2004 23:35

Hopefully you will be able to have another meet sometime as well. I would love to try out the skiing there in Colorado. I'm about the same distance between you and Tony Fabris, and one of these days I will make it to one of the meets in northern California, or Colorado.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 03:32

Ok, who for sure is coming? We are down to about 4 or 5 people so I need to know in the next couple of days how many for sure. I might cancel it this year if enough people aren't coming and I also just put an offer on a house tonight and if accepted, I probably should be saving my money and vacation time. But if there are enough people I will go ahead and hold it anyway.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 10:39

If I were you, I'd imediately drop the reservations on the cabins, save perhaps one. Up to five people can easily share one of those, and..

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 11:18

If you're having it, I'm in.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 11:27

I'm in. But camping if possible.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 11:30

I'm there.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 12:09

Ok, I'll drop it down to one or two cabins and still have it. And if I get this house I've put an offer on, we will have the meet there next year. It's a log home in the country with a couple of acres that some could sleep inside and some could camp outside of. There's enough room to park 7 or 8 cars also.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 15:14

I already told work "screw you guys, going away". So I'm there.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 15:38

Please say you actually did it in the Cartman voice.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 08/09/2004 18:59

Quote:
Please say you actually did it in the Cartman voice.

My Cartman imitation is not as good as my Nelson Muntz or my Homer Simpson. But yes.

It's been suggested that I get a giant Cartman poster for my door with "Screw you guys, I'm going home" in a speech bubble, which would be amusing since the office i didn't want is right inside the door when you come into our department.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 03:31

Here is my formal "I'm coming" post. Just trying to decide whether to drive the 1800 mile round trip or fly...Now was the t-shirt deadline this thursday or last thursday? If it's not too late I'll take one in "One McDonalds too many" size. (XL)

Who wants memory installed at the meet?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 09:03

Well the t-shirts don't have a deadline right now because Rob is off on vacation and can't get them until he gets back so they will be late. I'll have to mail them to you when they do come.

I'm glad that you are coming as neither of my empegs are working right. I know the one has the IDE header solder problem and the other one is either that or the hard drive.

I knocked us down to two cabins yesterday so somehow we will work that out. And I got word late last night that the offer on the house I made got accepted more or less so now I'm going to be a stressed out mess this month trying to get my house sold and prepare for moving, gee. Bad timing.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 10:31

I would be eternally grateful if you could install some memory for me.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 11:15

Quote:

I do! I have a bunch of chips for Mk2a. Are they the same for the Mk2?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 11:35

Different chips for the Mark2 and Mark2a... Sorry.

If anyone needs them, I have a bunch of the Mark2a chips available. I will not be at the meet, but I can send a bunch down.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 13:25

Maximum upgrade for an Mk2 is 16mb until Patrick does his memory board. According to this post by Hugo, the chips for the mk2 probably aren't available anymore (although he said he had a bunch of them). I just PM'ed him to see if he could send one over before the meet. If anyone else knows of a source for them post here...I couldn't find one with a bbs search.

If he will send them, want me to ask him to throw one in for you too?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 13:32

Quote:
If he will send them, want me to ask him to throw one in for you too?

I you're asking me, yeah.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 13:34

I already heard back from Hugo, and he said he sent a bunch of Maczrool a few months ago. I've contacted him via the website to see about getting some. If so I'll bring them to the meet.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 13:47

Ok Stuart is sending enough for both of our players and some extras just in case.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 21:23

That reminds me, I need to order 2 long cables before the meet.

Paul, how much are the memory chips? I might want some.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 21:31

Greetings!

Chip sets are $33 each, but they can only be used in the Mark2A.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 21:51

If you need to know how many chips to send down, well, can you send down 48mb worth (3 16mb upgrades) for me? I can paypal you the money out of band, in advance....

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 09/09/2004 21:53

Seeing as handing out CDs is ok, I'll bring some 3a8 CDs with me.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 10:54

Thanks Derrick. I'd really like one.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 11:07

No worries. Just send me an email and we will be all set. Thanks!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 13:41

Quote:

I have a friend that's interested in having his upgraded as well. He wants to know how much you're charging.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 13:45

Greetings!

$33 per set for the Mark2A chips.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 13:58

As you know, I have chips coming out my arse.

I was asking genixia how much he was charging for the actuall installation.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 14:09

Ooops. Sorry. I wasn't paying attention there...

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 14:28

Mk2a - $50.

Mk2/Mk1 - I have to check whether upgrades are possible. Aside from different chips, the last word I heard, Patrick was concerned that the Mk2 wouldn't support additional capacitive loading, and I'm not yet sure if the kernel changes made to enable extra memory will work with Mk1 upgrades.

Lemme go see.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 10/09/2004 20:46

I have 2 that I would like the memory upgrades on. Maybe we can all pitch in on your share of the cabin in payment of the work you will be doing. Are you bringing anyone along?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 12/09/2004 00:41

The existing Hijack kernels are *supposed* to work with Mk1 (and Mk2, of course), but this has yet to be verified (and fixed if not working..).

Cheers

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 11:56

Less than a week away now!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 12:39

For those interested, here is a picture of my future house
Posted by: andym

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 13:43

Wow that looks really cool! Living in a log cabin would be like being on holiday all year round.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 14:24

That's what I am hoping. I know there is some upkeep to owning a log home that I am finding out about but I think it will be well worth it. I'm going over today and taking some pictures of the inside. Hopefully by the holidays I will be warming myself in front of the wood buring stove all nice and toasty.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 16:14

Meals will be as follows:

Friday night - Pizza
Sautrday morning - I'll cook a big breakfast
Saturday lunch - at the lodge
Saturday night - the big cookout
Sunday morning - at the lodge
Sunday lunch - in town

Who will be here for pizza on Friday night?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 18:50

Quote:
Meals will be as follows:

Friday night - Pizza
Sautrday morning - I'll cook a big breakfast
Saturday lunch - at the lodge
Saturday night - the big cookout
Sunday morning - at the lodge
Sunday lunch - in town

I will. I need to decide when I'm leaving for Ohio. I think I asked for Thursday off.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 21:01

I'll get there sometime in the afternoon to get everything ready. I'll leave names at the front desk for the cabins so you can stop there and get your keys like last year.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 23:39

Ok. Maybe I'll get an "early" breakfast and leave in the early AM this year then.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 19/09/2004 23:44

Quote:

I'm planning on leaving NY around 4 am Friday morning. This should get me to Cincinnati around 3PM or so.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 20/09/2004 01:02

Quote:
I'm planning on leaving NY around 4 am Friday morning. This should get me to Cincinnati around 3PM or so.

Just remember to stay out of the left lane this time :-)

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 20/09/2004 12:03

Quote:
Just remember to stay out of the left lane this time :-)

Good suggestion.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 20/09/2004 12:31

Russmeister and I should be there around 4pm. Pizza should be good with him...I'll bring my own dinner (lactose intolerant).
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 20/09/2004 12:31

i added you guys to the BBS calander, hope you don't mind!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 21/09/2004 20:11

I wondered what you meant by adding it to the BBS calendar until I just now noticed at the top of the page "Calendar". Thanks for putting the meet on there

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 22/09/2004 16:43

I'm also aiming for Friday afternoon.

******** IMPORTANT MEMORY UPGRADE REQUEST ********

Please bring an AC adapter if you're having your empeg upgraded. I like to soak test the players for a few hours after doing the upgrade, and I only have one adapter!

Thanks.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 23/09/2004 15:41

It hurts my heart to say this but I will be unable to attend the meet this year. There have been a few things come up at work in the past 2 weeks and I just can't get away. I was waiting as long as I could before I made a final decision but it's not going to be possible. I guess I'll have another year to look forward to coming.

This really stinks!!

Oh yeah, Laura, I'll send my money for the shirt with Jbjorgen.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 23/09/2004 19:55

Sorry, to hear that.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 23/09/2004 23:07

For the rest that are still coming, I'll see everyone tomorrow

We have some really good prizes this year including a Karma and a MLord dock and everyone will get a Tech Ball. There are some MKl memory chips and some MKlla memory chips for those needing some for an upgrade.

Everyone have a safe trip here. I'll be waiting at the cabins with brownies in the oven and pizzas ready to be baked.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 23/09/2004 23:12

Cool. I gathered my crap together and will be all set to go in the morning.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 23/09/2004 23:22

Cool. Leaving now.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/09/2004 00:14

Well, I'm totally jealous and bummed out about not being there in person this year, but perhaps I may make it in spirit.

Have fun, y'all!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/09/2004 01:08

Maybe you will make it down next year.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/09/2004 13:20

I'm heading out the door and going to do the grocery shopping on the way. See everyone there.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/09/2004 16:08

Good luck, hope you all have lots of fun!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/09/2004 22:45

We're in Cabins 6 and 7, if it matters.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 24/09/2004 23:32

Quote:

Geez, I forgot how close Ohio is to me over in NJ. Next year I'll try to come out! Have fun and take many pictures for us all!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 25/09/2004 00:13

Quote:
Geez, I forgot how close Ohio

It's about 10 hours with a couple stops to eat something and stretch.

I think we should have another NY meet. Probably something informal like the last time. Just show up, hang in a parking lot, eat, more parking lot, then leave. Should I invesigate locations?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 25/09/2004 23:15

Woohoo! My MKl now has 16megs of ram.

We are unchaining Ian from the table now and then for a break.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 25/09/2004 23:26

Is your Mk1 actually "finding" and using all 16MB? If so, that's a first!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 25/09/2004 23:34

Found: yes. Using: don't know yet. I have the disk out of her mk1 here and am cloning it to a new drive for her mk2a, whose old disk died.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 00:08

Seems I always have good luck at the meets. This year the front speakers in the van quit and the hard drive in my empeg kept losing songs and playlists and finally died. But Derrick got the speakers working and is copying my drive over now so all is ending well.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 00:11

Hey, don't get excited until it actually works.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 00:47

Let's all talk to each other over the BBS when we're in the same room!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 01:00

Dude, cool, how about that dry ice?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 02:28

Better yet, let's talk over IRC.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 03:10

My Mk2 with 16 meg is running quite nicely in the corner too

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 04:10

Looks like Laura's player is it, but perhaps schofiel would have another say about the firstness?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 05:31

And is John's the first Mk2 upgrade too?

(Closely followed by Rob's)
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 07:24

Didn't Hugo upgrade his Mk2 when all this upgrade memory business started...?

Stig
Posted by: altman

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 08:18

Yep, just to check it out - still humming along happily

Hugo

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 10:01

Hey.. does this mean that you figured out whatevertheproblemwas with that other Mk2 "upgrade" that had issues, say a week or two ago?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 10:13

Shhhhhh...........

He's sleeping

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 12:15

Did you have him chained to a soldering station all night?!?!? That's cruel!
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 12:35

Man I wish there was a meet somewhere near me. You guys seem like would be a fun bunch to hang out with. I would have gone, tho I dont think my poor lil bug would have made it all the way out there with out some issue. Maybe if there is one next year Ill risk it.. Maybe then I can get my players memory upgraded.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 13:55

Well, that's demolished my market for Mk1 upgrades

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 19:03

All day but not all night, well part of the night I guess.

The meet continues since Ian's car was towed off to the Volkswagon dealer and he will be staying another night. Him and Derrick are off sight seeing while I prepare for quests at my house.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 22:05

It sounds like it was a successful meet. Congratulations to Laura and everyone else! And this sounds rather ominous - having a car towed from the meet...

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 26/09/2004 23:55

Finally home...633 miles in 9:45....not bad...pictures to follow tomorrow.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 00:14

Glad you made it back, Derrick just left around 9 after we had dinner with Ian at Skyline.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 00:45

I'm back. Took me exactly 10 hours. I will post my pics tomorrow morning. Thanks again Laura. Sucks about Ian's car. What was the problem?

Hopefully all the money he made doing upgrades at the meet doesn't go straight into his car.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 01:18

An attack of the blue smoke...

I had my local dealership change the oil on Wednesday before driving 900 miles on thursday/friday. When I checked the dipstick earlier, it looks like they overfilled it. Reading vwvortex, I suspect that the excess has caused the oil pressure to pump oil out of the crankcase vent and into the intake tract, thus leaving me with an intercooler, throttle body and intake manifold full of the stuff. Too much oil is bad for the cat too. I am seething to say the least.

Unfortunately, I can't be 100% certain that it isn't the headgasket or turbo oil seals. That's why it's sitting outside a VW dealership near Laura's, where they can sort it out before I put another 900 miles on it.

I'm hoping that it really is just a case of cleaning oil out of the intake tract, reducing the amount of oil in the engine, and sending the bill to the asshats that screwed it up.

At least I got to see Cincinnati, briefly visit Indiana and Kentucky, and try Cincinnati Chilli!

I have to publicly send a very big shouted THANKS! to both Laura and Derrick for digging me out of a hole. It would have been a real ordeal to be stuck out at the park without them around.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 12:02

Pics up now:
http://www.spmicro.com/gallery/empegmeet_092404
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 14:43

Quote:
An attack of the blue smoke...

Uh, oh. Did you make it home OK (he says after having just shipped an empeg to what I assume is your home address for a memory upgrade)...

-Mike

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 14:53

No, I'm still at Laura's waiting for the service department to call. Unfortunately for me it's one of those dealerships that actually uses the appointment system(*), so the fact that my car sat there overnight means absolutely nothing. They said they should get around to looking at it 'early afternoon'. At this stage I'm hoping that it can be fixed today and beginning to worry that it may not be.

* Arrgh. Why?! This sucks. Whenever I need a service back home my dealership works on the first come first serve priniciple which is a pain if you have kids, yet the first time that such a system would really work for me, the dealership insists on appointments. Grrr.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 15:05

Well, it seems like I'm missing a lot of pictures, but here's what I've got:

http://www.schooldynamics.net/jbjorgen/gallery/cincy2004.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 16:31

I got back at 3:20am. I didn't exactly go directly:
http://maps.aprsworld.net/map/track.phtm...p;end_minutes=0

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 16:36

I got pictures of this "event". I'll put them up shortly.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 17:05

Ah, past Beaver Falls. I did 2 weeks of training there when I first got my job.
Posted by: Redrum

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 17:27

Who won what for what?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 18:04

Ian got the Geek man action figure for doing the memory installs
He also won the distance award (a black spmicro sled) at 880 odd miles.

Rob Ricardelli won the best professional install award - a Mlord dock.

There was a three-way tie for best amatuer install (Alan, Ian, and Myself) and after a drawing I took home the award for that - A Rio Karma.

The worst install award went to Alan - a GPS receiver. He gave it to Ian because he had no use for it.

Laura won the host's choice award - an 80 gig hard drive.

Everyone who attended got a Tech Support 8-ball and a 1880 silver dollar. There was some caffeinated soap going around too.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 18:48

Not this trip. I did consider going through Beaver Falls (coming back US30 to US62 to OH14 and down PA51) but decided to just take US250, US22 and head across Pittsburgh that way; But the APRS tracking has many times been online for trips to and through Beaver Falls.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 21:12

Alright, now that Ian is done tweaking my install, everyone has to come back so we can do the competition over and this time I will beat Rob

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 21:24

Come back? I haven't left yet!

Anyway, I have car back, and touching wood it's going to be ok. My VW dealership managed to put at least 7 quarts of oil into a car that only needs 4.4. One oil change later...

We did have a scare on the way back to Lauras - still stuttering, flashing CELs and pumping an extremely environmentally unfriendly amount of blue smoke out of the exhaust, to the point where we turned around and took it back to the dealer. As we got there, the car started to behave much better. I talked to the guy that had worked on the car and he gave me lots of reassurance that it would take a while for the oil to burn out, and that I could expect those issues until it did.

More importantly I asked him to categorically state that the headgasket, oil seals and turbo were all fine. Sure enough, on the way back to Laura's (finally) there was no smoking, and much reduced hesitation. So it looks like I'm about to go to Boston, and hopefully by the time I get there my car will be 100% again.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 22:56

Quote:
and a 1880 silver dollar

Haha, that's quality right there.

genixia, good to hear that your car is ok. Now, how will you ever get the offending dealership to pay up for what they did? Do you have records of their offense from the guys who fixed their mess? Good luck!

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 23:10

He left and it will be a long while before he gets back home. It was nice having him here for a couple of days, especially since I didn't have to do any more cooking

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 27/09/2004 23:19

Quote:
My VW dealership managed to put at least 7 quarts of oil into a car that only needs 4.4. One oil change later...

Sounds like they forgot the first step in an oil change... remove the old oil! Glad to see you're doing okay now.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 28/09/2004 01:58

Hey guys, "Burn it".

Chasing Jeanne. - 28/09/2004 21:53

Yeah, I'll be chasing VWoA to sort this out. It took all 900 miles for the car to recover to ~95%. The first 300 miles of the journey were very tough - the first hundred I had to baby the throttle to avoid spluttering and flashing CELs (= lots of misfires), going up a low grade hill with cruise control on was enough to cause it. The second hundred eased a little, but I still couldn't accelerate without misfiring. The third hundred I could accelerate but any boost from the turbo caused it to happen again. The degree to which this would happen varied too, as obviously the oil was working it's way through the system. Periodically the cat would start stinking of rotten eggs, and the car would behave better for 10 miles or so before relapsing.

I stopped and slept at about 250 miles, got up and 7 and drove to the 300 mile point where I needed gas and phoned the tech that had worked on the car. He was surprised that I was still suffering, but still confident that the coilpacks were fine (my immediate concern), so we decided that injector cleaner might help. So I threw a bottle in with the gasoline, and when I restarted the car I pretty much immediately got a big puff of grayish white smoke out of the exhaust, and an immediate improvement.

That wasn't the end of it though. Bad spluttering patches still occured periodically, and hard acceleration was still met with misfires. I used another bottle of injector cleaner when I refilled the tanl 350 miles later, and eventually, about 100 miles from Boston the car started to feel like it really would recover.

I'm obviously concerned about my catalytic converter at this stage. My emissions warranty has either expired or will in 2000 miles (I can't remember whether it's 7yr/70k or 8yr/80k), and I would like that warranty extended by a suitable length of time/mileage.

I'm also concerned that the engine sounds a little raw at 3k-4k. But that may just be me being over-sensitive - I don't usually spend my time revving the engine and listening to it.

Anyway, I'm home. It rained solidly from the western edge of Pennsylvannia to Boston, ~600 miles. And I mean _rained_.

The last place I want to take my car is back to Quirk. If I have my way, they'll never touch it again.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 28/09/2004 21:56

Man, that sucks. I wonder how liable the oil-change guys are. Maybe a call to Click and Clack is in order?

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 28/09/2004 21:57

In southwestern PA we barely got wet. I'm on the PA Turnpike traveler advisory mailing list, it looks like eastern PA is getting hit hard. Sucks to be Harrisburg... again.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 28/09/2004 22:28

Ian, if you want the loan of my Vag-Com let me know.
Plus I'll even let you in on the secret to changing the oil in a VW with out getting your blue hair dirty - might be time for a Boston empeg/VW meet.

You might want to Google "Quirk VW"

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 28/09/2004 23:25

I'm glad to hear that you made it home ok inspite of the problems.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 28/09/2004 23:41

Quote:
Plus I'll even let you in on the secret to changing the oil in a VW with out getting your blue hair dirty

I don't know about the blue hair, but I hate changing the oil on my wife's 1.8T New Beatle. The oil filter is mounted on an angle, 1/2 way up from the underside of the car. It's impossible to remove the filter without getting oil all over parts of the engine and front axel. I wipe as much as I can, but there is always a drop or two on the driveway the next day.

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/09/2004 00:35

Quote:

So, where are they?

Re: Cincinnati Empeg Meet - 29/09/2004 00:55

Quote:
Quote:

So, where are they?

On my camera. See, while I was gone, stuff broke.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 29/09/2004 03:04

I'm obviously concerned about my catalytic converter at this stage

As well you should be.

The odds are near-certain that you (or rather, the morons who overfilled your crankcase) have killed your catalytic converter.

I hope you have bullet-proof documentation from the VW dealer who fixed the problem (as best they could) in Cincinatti.

Bring that documentation to the miscreants and insist that (a) they pay for the Cincinatti repairs; and (b) they replace your catalytic converter.

When they inevitably refuse, don't argue with them. Just mention the three magic words, "Small Claims Court", and then do it.

Good luck...

tanstaafl.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 14/10/2004 18:10

Well, after 4 new plugs and a new O2 sensor the car is still flaky. It has a mind of its own - sometimes it's fine, and other times it feels like one cylinder isn't firing. The most annoying thing is that it's not storing any OBD codes.

So I think that I'm going to need to borrow that VAG-COM for a while. if that's ok. I suspect that one of the coilpacks is going bad.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 14/10/2004 22:03

Do you think that all happened because of the dealer putting too much oil in the car?
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 15/10/2004 00:55

Do you think that all happened because of the dealer putting too much oil in the car?

Overfilling the crankcase could not have affected the ignition system. If it is a failed coil pack, it is coincidental.

If he is still running that ruined catalytic converter, that could be at the root of the problem. Burning off that much oil could have made that cat get really hot, enough to melt the innards and cause partial intermittant blockage of the exhaust.

tanstaafl.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 15/10/2004 01:54

The cat isn't before the turbo is it? That much burning oil would explain the O2 sensor getting gummed up too.

Re: Chasing Jeanne. - 15/10/2004 11:25

I'm not sure. That's partly why I need to borrow that VAG-COM. VAG-COM will tell me as much about the car as VW's own diagnostic tools, which is a lot more information than generic OBD tools report. At the moment my OBD tool isn't reporting any codes.

The cat is after the turbo, so any oil in the cat must have been through the turbo. However, when the engine is cold, or when you are cruising off-boost, the turbo won't burn the oil. In fact, the oil would need to sit in the turbo for a while before burning - the turbo itself is oil-cooled. I did originally have some concern that maybe the turbo was letting go, but it still pulls as strong as it ever did. The normal failure mode for a turbo is that its bearings self destruct at 120 000RPM, and the turbine/compressor wheel ploughs into the housing as a result and destroys itself in the process. Generally loud, noisy and irreversible. Perhaps overfilling the oil created excess pressure and caused the oil seals in the turbo to blow by, and that could be a problem - oil seal blowby is often a precursor to failure. However, the amount of oil that came through the engine originally was huge. Huge-blue-turn-the-clearest-day-into-foggy-night type smoke. And now, despite the code-less misfiring, I don't see or smell any evidence of oil from the exhaust. It is also normal to have some oil in the intake tract anyway. The crankcase ventilates into the intake tract in order to burn off oil fumes. (By design, an emissions thing,) So I wouldn't expect an occassional drop of oil here or there to cause this problem.
Coilpack failure... could be caused by excessive overloading of the coil according to anecdotal evidence. I think that 900 miles of fighting oil in the combustion chamber would probably qualify, although impossible to prove. The same evidence suggests that partial failure is a possibility. If the problem is only in one cylinder (which I suspect it is) then the coilpack has to be favorite - and at $21 each, a cheap remedy.

Burnt and blocked cat? I wouldn't have thought that this could cause an intermittent problem like this. The dealership wasn't concerned about the cat when I originally took it back in after the trip, and pointed out that the post cat O2 sensor is very sensitive to cat failure. I also know that OBD would store a pemanent code and the CEL would stay on if the cat had failed, which has not happened. Remember that the CEL is predominantly an emissions light - it only flashes or lights when there is an emissions-related problem.

The most annoying thing about all of this is that it's intermittent. The car is still covered under a 10yr/100K drivetrain warranty, and will be for another 20K. But if I take it in to the dealership, and their VAG tool shows no codes and the problem doesn't show in their test drive, they're going to turn around and charge me $75 just for the priviledge. That's why I want to know if any non-OBD codes are stored. That's also why if it appears to be a single coilpack I'd be tempted to replace it myself.