Amersfoort internet access

Posted by: wfaulk

Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 16:45

Will there be any? Rob's house? Hotel?
Posted by: andym

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:00

Won't you be too busy enjoying yourself?

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:04

All day? I'd get a sore forearm.

Really, tho, I wanted to be able to do some VoIP to call home assuming the Internet access would be cheaper than an international phone call. (I wouldn't really want to do that in Rob's house, obviously.)

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:16

last year i managed to look up some train times at rob's house, i'm sure he had some form of broadband internet access although this year i'm not sure. I'll probably bring my crap laptop so if there's wifi you could use that. i'd be interested to see voip working.

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:22

Oh, I plan on bringing my own laptop. An 8-hour flight wouldn't be much fun without it. Of course, I doubt there'll be power for it on the plane, so I'll have to be conservative.

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:25

Let's hope the Campanile has moved into the 21st Century then....
Posted by: robricc

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:29

I didn't bring my laptop last year because I didn't imagine there would be access at the hotel. I was kinda mad when I saw an RJ-45 jack in the room. It could be for a phone system, but I assumed it was internet. I don't recall asking hotel staff about it though.

Also keep in mind that there is only one free power outlet in the entire room (220V) and there is another in the bathroom that is switchable to 110V and has a US-style opening.

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 18:46

In my experience these places get flood wired for UHF/Telephone/Ethernet then most of the time they only connect the first two. I spent my entire first year at university looking at the uplink port on my hub wishing that one day I'd see it light up, that was in 1997, nearly 8 years later and I'm told they've finally enabled them.

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 02/07/2004 19:30

This page claims that "All rooms have a telephone and an internet connection." It does not say if there's an additional charge for internet access.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 05/07/2004 17:58

To be honest, for all intents and purposes, you are not going to have direct access. There is an internet cafe in Amersfoort: otherwise you would have had it at my house with WiFi. However, the Poison Dwarf has occupied that territory with a warrant, so SORRY!

Re: Amersfoort internet access - 06/07/2004 17:49

Just to avoid starting another thread for no reason: No one's going to be on BA flight 8113/AA 6549 (London, Gatwick -> Amsterdam) are they? I assume all of you British folks will not be flying, but just in case....