And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB!

Posted by: tonyc

And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 05:36

Well, heck, things have been kinda quiet around here recently, so let's "kick it up a notch!"

(please read the text below thoroughly before paging down to the links... you were warned.)

Announcing emphatic v2.00

emphatic is a frontend application for the empeg car player. Its first purpose in life was to scroll lyrics across the empeg screen synchronized with your music. Since then, it's grown into what I consider a fully functional replacement user interface for the player application.

It's been about a year and a half since the last emphatic release, so there are a LOT of changes. I can't possibly cover them all, but here are just a few of the things you can do with emphatic:
  • control the way your track information is displayed on the empeg display with custom display modes
  • display ID3v2 fields not normally available in player info modes
  • select a specific visual to be shown for each custom display mode
  • display song lyrics synchronized with the music, and scrolled in horizontal or vertical fashion
  • customize your player's menu system, putting menu options where you want them
  • assign ratings to your music and use the song rating data in weighted shuffle modes
  • perform searches of your music library without the use of a remote control
The requirements for running emphatic are
  • player software v2 or v3
  • Hijack v400+
emphatic comes with Windows and Unix installation scripts, which should help you get things configured. The configuration steps are documented on the emphatic web page, so take a look there before you start so that you understand what you're doing when you go to install. The program ships with a sample configuration XML file which should work for most people, however, a couple of the display modes in the sample XML make use of player fonts that don't ship with all versions of the player. As I have not yet received permission to redistribute empeg player fonts, you'll have to get these on your own if you want to use them, at least for now.

I think you'll find emphatic v2.00 is a very large step forward in terms of new functionality, but along with new functionality comes new bugs. While it's gone through a few cycles of alpha testing, I can assure you there are still bugs. I don't personally like calling general public releases "beta," but I would say v2.00 "final" is "beta quality" software, so please be patient if you find there are bugs. Take a look at the "known issues" section of the web page for more info on what's known to be "not quite right."

And, of course, because emphatic's job in life is to give you access to things you were never able to do, sometimes, that means doing things the empeg lads didn't think we'd be doing. emphatic reads a lot of internal player data, and it even writes to the player's dynamic data partition. So keep this in mind as you play with it, and understand that, although I and my alpha testers have done what we can to ferret out bugs, there might be some left, and there is a remote possibility these bugs would cause data loss on your empeg.

Whew, enough disclaiming... On to the next big announcement...

Announcing lrcDB

So, now that you've got this great little application capable of displaying synchronized song lyrics, where are you going to get the lyrics? That's where lrcDB comes in. lrcDB is a website that I've developed as a central repository for sharing time-tagged lyrics, sometimes referred to as LRC files. The site is still very much under development, and I've still got some bugs to squash, but it's at a point now where I feel comfortable opening it to the members of this BBS.

Lyrics can be uploaded and downloaded via the lrcDB website, or via a soon-to-be-released version of the SYLT Lyrics Plugin for Winamp written by the empeg BBS' own elperepat.

Sharing lyrics requires registering on the lrcDB site, but you won't be asked for any more information than you were when you registered on this BBS. Please use your empeg BBS username at lrcDB so we know who you are!

And, oh yeah, on a personal note...

As mentioned in the subject line, this is my 5,000th post to the BBS. It really does seem like it was yesterday that I was browsing Hugo's mp3mobile webpage, lusting after the prospect of having my mp3 collection travel with me in the car, and being able to read track information on that cutting-edge text-only screen!

Nearly five years later, I seem to have found a bit of an online home on this BBS, and not just because I love my car stereo. This BBS is, and has always been, a wonderful place to pass the time talking about anything and everything. My volume of posts is a sign that I either have a serious mental problem, or this BBS is something very special. Or both, but let's not get into that now.

So, with the rest of this 5,000th post, I just want to thank everyone I've had the chance to interact with on these forums. I haven't yet had the chance to meet any of you in person, but some day I'll find a meet that doesn't conflict with a vacation or a family wedding. I've had a great time throughout my first 5,000 posts here, and I'm really looking forward to the next 5,000. Thanks, everybody.

Oh, yeah, you probably want those links to emphatic and lrcDB!
Posted by: ricin

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 07:41

Yay! Congrats on the release and thanks for all the work. Not to mention finishing lrcDB.

Oh, and Happy 5000th!

Enjoy your time off!
Posted by: frog51

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 08:31

I would like to echo Donato's Yay! Emphatic has always been a hit in my car - not so much for me when driving, but for the occupants, and for any of us when stationary. Excellent work.

Also frightning when I think I am only just heading up for 1000 posts, and mine are mostly content free. Well done fella!

Here's to many more like you, dude!
Posted by: genixia

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 12:03

Congratulations!

You've left me with a dilemma though. I'm going on a week long road trip in 2hours. I wish Mark had finished implementing menu_exec...
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 13:47

id like to use my 1,000th post to congratulate you. i just got to work, so i cant try it out, yet. but i already know that lrcDB is pretty kick ass. thanks for your hard work. guess i should start contributing lyrics.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 14:46

Milestones all around! Congratulations!

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 14:46

BTW, I'm going to be out of town for almost a week, so if there are any bugs, they'll probably have to wait until I get back. I will probably pop in on the BBS a couple times though, so please post bugs, comments, criticisms, suggestions, etc. here and I'll be sure to address them here.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 16:09

Arghh, you've just completely destroyed any productivity I may have had for the remainder of the morning Cheers, and thanks. Tony (the other Tony) gave a bit of a demo of one of the v2 empatic alphas at one of the meets and I've been impatiently waiting for the release ever since.

Now if we can just get the empeg guys the release alpha 8...

-Mike

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 16:28

For what its worth I had to manually set the drives in my empeg to rw, the install script failed. You might want to try calling 'site exec rw' and 'site exec rwm' instead of just 'site rw' which for some reason doesn't work on my empeg (maybe related to me running ext3?).

-Mike

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 18:33

And here is an OS X binary of lrctool if anybody needs it. Not well tested, but worked for the one song I tried it on.

-Mike

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 21:10

Another minor installer annoyance. I told it not to set ReserveCache because I already had it set and it cleared my existing setting.

-Mike
Posted by: mlord

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 21:12

Yup -- the Hijack rw/ro commands are ext2-specific. I'll add ext3 for those in v402 shortly.

-ml

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 21:33

The stock empeg scripts for "rom" and "rwm" are WWAAAYYYYY slower than the Hijack built-ins (as in tens of seconds slower). v402 will be out shortly with support for ext3 on the site ro/rw commands.

Cheers
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 23/07/2004 21:35

I'm so stoked.. Of course last night I rebuild my drive to try to fix the problems with syncing that I was having (working perfect so far BTW), and now once I add lyrics I will have to upload them again! Then I pulled my dash apart to add an extension to the Mic jack and the Aux in jacks to my glove box, and this distracts me... Way to go!

(Aww... you got credit for uploading Boy and October to lrcDB... That puts my numbers down.. Time to tag!)

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 01:51

Quote:
(Aww... you got credit for uploading Boy and October to lrcDB... That puts my numbers down.. Time to tag!)
I will correct that now that you're registered. I needed test lyrics so I used a lot of the ones that were uploaded to RiCiN's FTP site, along with a bunch I found on the net way back when.

BTW, it's not very clearly labeled on the site, but you can do a batch upload of LRCs via the lrcDB web interface. You first need to add the artist as a favorite, then go into the "Favorite Artists" dialog and select them, then "Add a new album" or choose the album if it already exists, then "Batch Upload." The lyrics NEED to have [artist:Foo] and [title:Bar] tags at the top with the batch uploads, though. I plan on making this more obvious on the site soon.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 01:57

Quote:
Another minor installer annoyance. I told it not to set ReserveCache because I already had it set and it cleared my existing setting.

-Mike
That's strange, I don't see how... The install-emphatic.(bat|sh) files pass in params to the postinstall on the empeg, and it only deletes and adds ReserveCache if it gets that parameter.

Here's the relevant part of install-emphatic.sh (line broken to avoid horizontal scrolling):
Code:

echo site exec $DESTDIR/postinstall.sh \
$DESTDIR $LAUNCH $SHUFFLE $RESERVECACHE $SONGRATINGS \
>> install-emphatic.ftp

And here's what happens on the empeg:
Code:

RESERVECACHE=$4
if [ $RESERVECACHE == 1 ]; then
cp /empeg/var/config.ini /empeg/var/config.ini.work
sed -e "/^ReserveCache=[0-9]*/ d
/^\[Startup\]/ a\\
ReserveCache=10" /empeg/var/config.ini.work > /empeg/var/config.ini
fi

Anyone see where I'm being dense?
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 03:09

Quote:
I will correct that now that you're registered. I needed test lyrics so I used a lot of the ones that were uploaded to RiCiN's FTP site, along with a bunch I found on the net way back when.

It's not a big dieal...

So, lets say we upload a lrc and later realize we screwed something up. How can we get these edited/changed on lrcDB?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 08:23

Quote:
Anyone see where I'm being dense?

Weird, I don't see how that could have done anything. I don't have a power supply for my empeg at home at the moment so I can't look into it more until Monday, but I copied the reservecache setting from the config.ini backup that the installer saved so I know it was there and it definitely wasn't in the new file... I dunno, maybe empeg gremlins?

-Mike

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 08:28

Quote:
The stock empeg scripts for "rom" and "rwm" are WWAAAYYYYY slower than the Hijack built-ins (as in tens of seconds slower). v402 will be out shortly with support for ext3 on the site ro/rw commands.

One of the advantages of ext3 is that the rwm/rom scripts execute nearly instantly. I assume that most of the fs checks are bypassed since the filesystems are guaranteed to be in a consistent state. Nevertheless, thanks for fixing that so that other people don't run into problems with the install.

-Mike
Posted by: BREmpeg

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 12:19

Tony,

first let me thank you very much for your dedication in making emphatic. It's because people like you that we can use our Empeg to the maximum. Unfortunelly I'm having a little trouble installing it using the bat file. Everything seems to work well and I got no error messages but when I reboot the player there's no emphatic on the Hijack menu. So I checked the config.sys and the installation did not change anything there. I tried to insert a command line myself in config.sys but did not work too. Any tips?

Thanks a lot again.

Ricardo
Posted by: tfabris

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 17:39

If you are attempting to make changes to config.sys, but they don't "Take" then the cause is: Already having a third-party application running at synch time or at the time the drives were mounted RO/RW, which prevents the mount from working and screws everything up. Please do this.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 18:05

Thanks Tony,

I allready tried your solution but did't work. I don't know if I was clear (my English is not too good), but I can change the Config.sys. The install bat of Emphatic can't. If you can send me the lines that the bat put in config.sy I can try to put in myself.

Thanks a lot.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 24/07/2004 19:03

Just an update: I could make Emphatic run by writting this line on Config.sys:
;@EXEC_ONCE /usr/local/bin/emphatic
But I still having a problem. Emphatic only runs when in AC mode. When in DC mode it freezes the player.

Ricardo

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 25/07/2004 01:35

Please post your config.ini and a log of the serial output (if any) when the player freezes.
Posted by: rearviewmirror

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 25/07/2004 04:12

Tony,

2.0 is really nice, and worth the wait. Thanks! I especially liked the track info overlaid on visuals.

It works fine for me in AC mode, but when in car, after I select emphatic from the hijack menu, the screen goes blank. I haven't changed the xml file, and my config.ini looks like this:

[Options]
Name=Yogi

[Network]
Gateway=0.0.0.0
Netmask=255.255.255.0
IPAddress=192.168.1.2
DHCP=0
[sense]
muteaction=0
mute=-1
[power]
off_timeout=5000
[display]
visual_names=1
caching=0
[synchronise]
seq_num=8
[wendy]
flag_amount=0
[custom]
wendy=
[searches]
amount=0
[hush]
hushpercent=20
[volumecap]
enabled=0
[kenwood]
disabled=0
[ramp]
disabled=0
[menu]
quit=0
sort_playlist=1
[tuner]
region=europe
[controls]
stalk_side=none
[aux]
source=
title=
artist=
[VisualFavourites_AM]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_AUX]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_DSP]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_FM]
count=0
[Startup]
ReserveCache=48
[output]
notify=1
[hijack]
;@EXEC /usr/local/bin/emphatic

Thanks,
~Yogi

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 25/07/2004 16:49

That's my Congig.sys:

[Startup]
ReserveCache=10
[hush]
hushpercent=20
[display]
visual_names=1
caching=0
[volumecap]
enabled=0
[kenwood]
disabled=0
[ramp]
disabled=0
[menu]
quit=0
sort_playlist=1
[controls]
stalk_side=none
[tuner]
region=us
[Options]
Name=Ricardo Menezes
[User Info]
[email protected]
Phone=55-18-3624-4780
Name=Ricardo Menezes
[sense]
muteaction=0
mute=-1
[power]
off_timeout=60000000
[aux]
source=
title=
artist=
[synchronise]
seq_num=96
[wendy]
flag_amount=0
[custom]
shuffle0=Favorites,skipped_count=3200,RANDOM=10
shuffle=Favorites,skipped_count=3200,RANDOM=10
wendy=
[searches]
amount=0
[VisualFavourites_AM]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_AUX]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_DSP]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_FM]
count=0
[Network]
Gateway=0.0.0.0
Netmask=255.255.255.0
IPAddress=192.168.1.3
DHCP=1
[output]
notify=1
[hijack]
;@EXEC_ONCE /usr/local/bin/emphatic
[ir_translate]
;Shift key (ATT)
AF5067=null.S
; These are needed to ignore the "Func" button sending out a bogus code
AD529B=null
80AD529B=null
;Shift Normal
AF5039.S=20DF0E ;Vol- Search
AF5036.S=20DF01 ;Band ABC
AF5030.S=20DF02 ;Source DEF
AF5032.S=20DF04 ;Up GHI
AF5034.S=20DF05 ;< JKL
AF5035.S=20DF06 ;> MNO
AF5033.S=20DF08 ;Down PQR
AF5037.S=20DF09 ;Disp TUV
AF50F6.S=20DF10 ;Nav WXY
AF5038.S=20DF0D ;Vol+ QZ
;Shift Long
;Long
AF5034.L=2.L ;FF >
AF5035.L=4.L ;RR <
;Normal
AF5038=a ;Vol+ +
AF5039=b ;Vol- -
AF5035=2 ;Right >
AF5034=4 ;Left <
AF5032=0 ;Up Up
AF5033=6 ;Down Down
AF5037=20DF14 ;Info Disp
AF50F6=20DF15 ;Visual Nav.
AF5030=20DF05 ;Genre Source
AF5036=20DF01 ;Art. Band
;AF5067=20DF0D ;Search Att

Nothing happens with the serial output when it freezes in Car mode. It happens like Rearviewmirror" said. The screen goes blank and the player freezes. It was happening with the old version of Emphatic and with the new version too.

Thanks a lot.

Ricardo.
Posted by: newguy1

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 01:28

I'm having the same problem in DC mode.
My config....
[Options]
Name=empegcar
[User Info]
Email=
Phone=
Name=
[Network]
Gateway=0.0.0.0
Netmask=255.255.255.0
IPAddress=192.168.0.2
DHCP=0
[sense]
muteaction=0
mute=-1
[power]
off_timeout=2000
[display]
play_count=1
visual_names=1
caching=0
[synchronise]
seq_num=645
[tuner]
region=us
[controls]
stalk_side=none
[hush]
hushpercent=50
[volumecap]
enabled=0
[kenwood]
disabled=0
[ramp]
disabled=0
[menu]
quit=0
sort_playlist=1
[aux]
source=
title=
artist=
[wendy]
flag_amount=0
[custom]
wendy=
[searches]
amount=0
[VisualFavourites_AM]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_AUX]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_DSP]
count=0
[VisualFavourites_FM]
1=Flancedoor
count=1

[output]
notify=1

[Startup]
ReserveCache=10

[hijack]
;@EXEC_ONCE /emphatic
disable_bassboost_FM=1

[ir_translate]
vol+=vol+,vol+ ;vol up 2 presses
vol-=vol-,vol-,vol- ;vol down 3 presses

[shuffle]
deduplicate=1

I had to add the Reservecache and EXEC settings manually as they didn't get set with the install.
I had the earlier version installed(1.1 ?) and installed the newer version in same location.Don't know if that matters.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 12:19

I need one of you to post a log of what happens on the serial output when you run emphatic in DC mode. First try selecting "Force DC Mode" in the Hijack menu and see if you still can't run emphatic. If emphatic still works in "Force DC Mode" then I need one of you to hook up a laptop or something in your car so I can see the serial output in "real" DC mode (in the car.)

Let me ask it this way, is *anyone* other than me having zero problems running emphatic in the car?

For those who didn't get the settings in your config.ini (other than mcomb with the ext3 problem), I really don't understand why. Admittedly, DOS/Windows have no built-in "ask yes/no" command (that I know of) so I'm using a bit of a hack that involves creating a temporary file and using "del /p" to choose yes or no. But it should work, or at least it does for me. As far as the FTP script itself, I don't see any good reason why it should have failed to update your config.ini files.

Oh, and ReserveCache=64 is a really big number unless you're running other apps. I don't use any ReserveCache at all on my Mk2a, but I threw a small amount in the install script just in case someone's got a really big player database on a Mk2.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 12:57

Quote:
DOS/Windows have no built-in "ask yes/no" command (that I know of)
choice.com exists on most DOS/Windows boxes, I think.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 13:56

in 2000/XP you would use the SET command to get a y/n prompt

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 15:25

Huh? SET just displays and sets variables, doesn't it?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 15:37

pertinent thread

was the best i could come up with. i feel lost without google.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 15:55

So the gist I get is that there is no portable way to do it in Windows? Seems CHOICE.COM doesn't come with Windows so not everyone will have it, and SET /p wasn't added until 2K/XP. Is that right?

I think when I wrote my batch file a while back, I came to the conclusion that "yes, that is right" and I used the "portable" (read: hackish) method of using DEL /p. I can't imagine that's the problem with the people whose config.inis aren't being updated, though. I'd like to know what is...

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 16:34

Hi Tony,

After selecting emphatic from the hijack menu, I see the following in hyperterminal:

In AC mode:
hijack: removed menu entry: "emphatic"

In forced DC mode:
[nothing]

Thanks,
~Yogi

PS: I don't have a way of connecting a laptop in car. And, I didn't run the install script that came with emphatic. I went through the script, ran the FTP commands from a command prompt, and edited the config.ini using jEmplode (added reservecache and @exec). Could that have screwed things up?

*edit* emphatic doesn't work in forced DC mode (blank screen)

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 26/07/2004 16:46

My stock Win2k install has CHOICE. I don't have anything else to check right now.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 01:18

I am running windows 2K.
When I force DC at home I get a blank screen and player freezes.
When I force AC in the car it works great.Almost drove off road trying all the new features
Couple of things I noticed:The visuals freeze when changing volume(is that by design?) and sometimes the new style volume and the original appear at the same time.(that may be due to me having the config ini. set to do 2 vol presses up and 3 vol presses down)

Edit;Maybe we can get the Admin to open a new forum just for Emphatic

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 02:31

Quote:
The visuals freeze when changing volume(is that by design?)

Yes, he's hiding the real user interface. There's no way he can make the real volume bar disappear, so he freezes the background screen on the visuals while you're changing the volume.
Posted by: sn00p

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 09:17

Surely want we want then is a build of the player without the user interface?! I'm guessing most things could be achieved with that.

Adrian

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 11:01

I'm using it in car, in forced AC mode too. While I'm thrilled with how emphatic works, I'm slightly annoyed that I've to power off the player every time I cut off the ignition. It's a small price to pay though!

On a tangent, Tony, I uploaded a couple of files using the batch upload (first one was named artist - album - title.lrc, and second one was artist - title.lrc). But the title does not appear to have been inserted correctly. Url is http://www.lrcdb.com/artist.php?aid=115

Thanks,
~Yogi

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 15:27

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the DC mode issues when I get home tomorrow. My player *definitely* works in the car in DC mode, to the tune of an 11 hour drive up here to visit my family. So I'm not even sure how I'll diagnose this one.

Actually maybe it'll help if I can get some more serial output. Can one of you who is having DC problems start in forced DC mode and run emphatic with the following:

emphatic --debug 5

That should at least (hopefully) tell us where it's crapping out.

Incidentally, why didn't you just use the install script? If you did the install steps properly then it doesn't matter, but were you scared of something in my script?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 15:30

Quote:
My stock Win2k install has CHOICE. I don't have anything else to check right now.
Yeah, but still, my DEL /p thing should have worked.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 15:32

Quote:
Edit;Maybe we can get the Admin to open a new forum just for Emphatic

Nah, I have a post count ranking here that I have to protect.

Maybe once this thread lives out its usefulness as an introduction and so forth I'll open up some threads over in Programming. But I don't think my app needs its own forum here.

As for the volume bar, I am indeed freezing the background. Sometimes, when I go to do that, the real volume bar has already appeared. Other than storing an old frame from 0.5 seconds ago or something (which is rather hackish) I don't think I can do anything about it, as I can't tell when the volume bar is going to appear.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 15:36

Quote:
Surely want we want then is a build of the player without the user interface?! I'm guessing most things could be achieved with that.

Adrian

I don't think such a thing would fall too high in the priorities of the dev team. As a matter of fact, they haven't even responded to my requests to redistribute player fonts. So they seem to be quite busy.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 15:40

Quote:

On a tangent, Tony, I uploaded a couple of files using the batch upload (first one was named artist - album - title.lrc, and second one was artist - title.lrc). But the title does not appear to have been inserted correctly. Url is http://www.lrcdb.com/artist.php?aid=115

Thanks,
~Yogi

From my post earlier in the thread:

"The lyrics NEED to have [artist:Foo] and [title:Bar] tags at the top with the batch uploads, though. I plan on making this more obvious on the site soon."

The tags need to be in the LRC file itself, like this:

[artist:Pearl Jam]
[title:rearviewmirror]
[album:vs.]

If you did put those tags in, then it should pick them up. I do have some code for parsing the info out of the filenames IF those tags aren't present, but since everyone names their LRCs differently, I don't expect that to work very often.

I've deleted the bogus records in the database, try uploading again.
Posted by: sn00p

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 27/07/2004 17:38

I'm well aware of that! It was more a tounge in cheek comment, maybe I should have added a winky smiley.
Posted by: kday

crash - 28/07/2004 02:40

Hi -

I've never installed emphatic before. No luck so far. A few issues:

- I had to remove the "echo pass ...." part of install-emphatic.sh. For whatever reason passive mode doesn't work on mine.
- I didn't end up with ReserveCache=10 in my /empeg/var/config.ini. I added it manually, as without it I was getting do_try_to_free_pages errors from the VM system and eventually a kernel crash.
- After rebooting, I entered the hijack menu and selected emphatic. Had a problem:

Oops! Music FID ffffffff1 not found!
fid file not found, line 145
Oops! Music FID ffffffff0 not found!
fid file not found, line 290
emphatic(11): memory violation at pc=0x02003624, lr=0x4002810c (bad address=0x0
pc : [<02003624>] lr : [<4002810c>]
sp : bffffc04 ip : bffffad8 fp : bffffe28
r10: 40145128 r9 : 0200254c r8 : 0204b5ac
r7 : 02001e80 r6 : 4000c2a8 r5 : 00000001 r4 : 0205ea2c
r3 : 0205eaa8 r2 : 00000000 r1 : 02063c90 r0 : 00000000

I didn't select the initialize ratings option in the config, if that's related.

The whole log is attached.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to try.
Posted by: Daria

Re: crash - 28/07/2004 02:42

I'd be shocked if ReserveCache=10 left enough memory for emphatic. Try 15, or maybe 20.

Re: crash - 28/07/2004 21:55

Quote:

I might be mistaken, but I think this happens if you don't have "notify=1" in your [output] section of the config.ini. Of course, my install script should do this for you, but it doesn't, because I forgot. That will be fixed in the next release.

Is that the problem? If you do in fact have notify=1 in there, then I'll have to investigate further.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 29/07/2004 03:18

Ran emphatic in debug mode, at home. In forced AC mode, everything was fine. After hijack printed "removed menu entry: "emphatic"", emphatic printed some debug statements like 'new track', 'horizontal lyrics' etc. I guess it was printing the available views from the xml file. Not reproducing it here, 'cos everything ran fine.

In forced DC mode, hijack did not print anything when emphatic was selected. There were no debug statements written by emphatic either. Basically there was no activity on the serial output. This makes me believe that hijack did not invoke emphatic in DC mode.

I'm using 2.0 beta 13, and hijack v402.

About the install script, I was curious as to what it was doing. When I saw that it involved FTPing some files, changing their permissions, and modifying the config.ini, thought I'd do it myself. No dis-respect to your scripting abilites Tony, I am a creature of habit, and was more comfortable editing config.ini using jEmplode -:)

~Yogi

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 29/07/2004 11:34

You did, of course, set the car rate to 115200 (matching the home rate) on the serial port, before doing the DC mode test.. right?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 30/07/2004 00:02

Quote:
Incidentally, why didn't you just use the install script? If you did the install steps properly then it doesn't matter, but were you scared of something in my script?

I used the install script but nothing got changed in config. Thats why I had to manually add some settings.
As far as the notify =1 setting Does it matter what section it goes under?IE Hijack, Player, Startup?
Anyway it does work in AC mode and forced AC in car.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 30/07/2004 00:03

[output]
notify=1

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 30/07/2004 00:47

Quote:
[output]
notify=1

Oh yes,thanks I do have it that way, just didn't know if it needed to go under any particular section of config ini.
Posted by: kswish0

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 30/07/2004 02:45

I just tried installing this using the .bat file. It created the folder that I specified for it but didnt put the program in it. It just left the folder empty. It also didn't edit my config.ini. To manually install this, can i just put the emphatic executable on my player, make it executable (chmod 755?) then add what I need to my config.ini? If so, what do I need to add to my config.ini to make it work?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 30/07/2004 03:10

I think this is because I was stupid in the BAT file and was changing to (or trying to change to) the directory BEFORE I created it. The net result is the emphatic binary and XML are probably somewhere else on your player, possibly in the root directory.

Try running the BAT file a second time, but choose N on all of the questions except the last one which does the install. Version 2.01 will be out soon with a fixed batch file. And some new features.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 31/07/2004 02:06

Updated the FAQ entry about Emphatic, and gave Emphatic its rightful place at the top header of the BBS. Enjoy.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 31/07/2004 14:18

Very much appreciated. But could you change it to a lowercase "e"?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 31/07/2004 16:25

Quote:
rightful place at the top header of the BBS.

Not showing up for me...but it was earlier. Weird.

EDIT: Doh!.. didn't notice it got moved to the top line...nevermind.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 31/07/2004 16:59

Yeah, makes more sense up there with the other software stuff (Hijack, jEmplode) than with the hardware projects.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 01/08/2004 04:11

Wow, very nice.

Would you like me to add some ioctls for bass and treble?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 01/08/2004 05:11

Quote:
Would you like me to add some ioctls for bass and treble?

Cool. And while you're in there, any way to make them work directly on the DSP's bass and treble controls, rather than stealing two EQ bands for the job?

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 01/08/2004 15:45

Yeah, that is imminent. The fact that auto_eq uses all 10 bands has given it a new impetus.

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 01/08/2004 15:52

Oh goody.

Did you ever figure out what the frequency centers and Q's were on your two hijacked EQ bands? If you did, and told me, forgive me.

Because my current "dialed-in" EQ is heavily dependent on your Bass and Treble settings at the moment. I really like that particular pair of settings and want to actually use them for "base" EQ positions on those two bands and *then* apply your new DSP-direct bass and treble as on-the-fly temporary adjustments to those base settings. (more bass when on a noisy highway for example, less treble when I have passengers in the back seat, that sort of thing).

If I knew the Q and frequency of your hijacked bands, I could then dial those in as regular EQ bands, you see...

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 04/08/2004 00:05

As mentioned over in the Programming forum, emphatic v2.01is out. In the interest of keeping the emphatic discussion centralized, (and also in the interest of getting my rather self-indulgent thread out of everyone's way) I'm going to de-stickify this thread. Please keep emphatic stuff in the aforementioned Programming thread.

Also, another quick plug for lrcDB, which now has over 1,100 songs, and is growing faster each day.

And, oh yeah, there was a a very major release of the SYLT Winamp Plugin today, so go get that, too.
Posted by: tman

Re: And for my 5,000th post... Announcing emphatic v2.00 and lrcDB! - 04/08/2004 22:08

Changing the scripts and adding nocheck to the mount options speeds it up significantly. Does mean messing around editing the scripts. More convienent if you're connected via telnet or serial though

Re: crash - 09/08/2004 22:54

Quote:
Quote:

I might be mistaken, but I think this happens if you don't have "notify=1" in your [output] section of the config.ini. Of course, my install script should do this for you, but it doesn't, because I forgot. That will be fixed in the next release.

Is that the problem? If you do in fact have notify=1 in there, then I'll have to investigate further.

Yeah, that's it. Seems to be working now that I added notify=1. Thanks.

One of the reasons I looked into Emphatic is to see if you discovered a way to hook into the player menu system. Can you take a look at this thread
and give me your opinion? It appears to me that Emphatic just gets out of the way when the player menu is entered, and has no knowledge beyond that the menu is active.
(sorry for the thread hijack!)

Re: crash - 10/08/2004 00:05

Quote:
It appears to me that Emphatic just gets out of the way when the player menu is entered, and has no knowledge beyond that the menu is active.
(sorry for the thread hijack!)

Well, sorta. emphatic does just "get out of the way" when you select the player menu from within. I don't have any "hooks" into what menu items are selected. The best I can sometimes do is select a specifc menu item on behalf of the user. An example of this is when you switch display modes, and emphatic switches visuals for you. This was no easy task, either, but I managed to come up with a kooky but reasonably reliable way to walk the menu structure, assuming I know exactly what menu item I'm going for in advance.

It seems like what you want is basically a representation of the player menu on some external display, and the ability to navigate that reliably with an external input device. I don't think emphatic is going to be the ticket to that. Unless I came up with some way of screen-scraping the player menu itself, which is way too tedious for something that wouldn't really help many other people out.

Have you found the external display threads in the Projects forum yet? A few people were working on a microcontroller of some type that would drive a graphical external display, and show an *actual* copy of the player screen on it (or some subset of it.) Do some searches, that seems more like what you want. But if you're dead set on using your character-based display, I'm not sure what the solution is.

Re: crash - 10/08/2004 02:32

reply is here