Little late request for v3a8...

Posted by: Memil

Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 13:59

Could someone please email me the latest alpha?
I tried to resist to upgrade - but failed...

/Fredrik
email: fredrik at yrsel dot nu
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 14:05

Complete CD is ~88MB - can your email swallow that or should I put it up somewhere for you to download? Or do you only want selected items from the CD?

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 14:08

Ah... If you can put it somewhere that I can download it it would be great!

/Fredrik
Posted by: tbussmann

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 14:51

could you tell me where you post it as well =)
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 15:07

Hey, as long as we are sharing I was never able to talk anybody into sending me a copy either. If someone wanted to send me a PM with a link (or asking for my email address to email it) that would be great.

-Mike

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 15:10

If bandwidth is an issue to share it to others, I can put it up on our 100mbit server temporary...

/Fredrik
Posted by: andym

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 15:46

Hate to be a party pooper here folks, but we were told not to distribute the alpha UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I can't remember reading this had changed. I'd hate to think future Amersfoort releases would be jeopardised by someone knocking off copies.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 15:49

Quote:
we were told not to distribute the alpha UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

Actually Rob said here that sharing with friends was OK. Obviously he doesn't want it posted to the world, but I got the impression that a few people emailing it around was OK.

-Mike

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 16:25

That was my understanding as well... Providing it privately by link when email box won't swallow the file size should be equivalent, IMO. Empeg users in Sweden can probably be counted on one hand, possibly two, so the likelyhood of someone else being around with a CD is small...

Bandwidth is somewhat problem, limited to ~700kbps (I'm on ADSL with ~700kbps upload)
I'll send you guys the address one after each other to try to provide decent speed for each - please don't spread it. If someone is willing to mirror the file, remember to not spread it "wildy"... and let me know if you'll notify the other guys in this thread and I can take down the file.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 16:47

Quote:
Complete CD is ~88MB - can your email swallow that or should I put it up somewhere for you to download? Or do you only want selected items from the CD?

What's included on the CD to make it 88MB? Have they added that much stuff? Can I find out too? I can mirror to a few people if need be over a very fast connection.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 16:58

I think the CD has 2.01 and two alpha releases on it. One of the alpha releases has and AutoEQ function that requires several sound files in .wav format.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 17:39

matthew_k PM'ed with account details for a scp upload to a wellconnected site - it's currently underway, with about 50 minutes to go (looks to be getting around 300k real speed).

He'll be contacting you guys with the location once the upload is done
Posted by: antbankz

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 19:39

I'd like to get my hands on it as well. Please let me know of the location.

Thanks!

spy at digitalfury dot net
Posted by: Attack

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 20:41

I would like to get a copy of this. I am on a T1 @ home and wouldn't mind helping host the file.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 20:46

Quote:

We're a bit too busy with new products to think about releasing a car player alpha right now. Anyone with the CD is welcome to share that with friends/colleagues but please don't post it online. We will make a more official release when we have time to review lessons learned from the Amersfoort release.

How is 'hosting the file' different from 'posting it online' ??

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 21:43

I guess hosting would be done by putting the file on a server and sharing a link or access privately. "Online" would mean on a public website which would be distributing empeg property illegally. Yes, both are "hosted" and both are "online" but I think that's the gist of if.
Posted by: oliver

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 22:37

i'd love a copy too
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 03/09/2004 23:49

Far be it from me to question my superiors, but I've always found it odd that we can transfer it amongst ourselves, but not post it somewhere. I'm not sure I see the difference. After all, it's not useful for anyone who doesn't have an empeg, but the notion seems to be that anyone who has an empeg is allowed to have it.

Maybe they don't want their superiors to find out that they've been "goofing off" or maybe there's an issue with redistributing it. (In fact, I know that's the case, as at least one person has gotten reprimanded for hosting old versions of the player software.)

Like I said, I don't mean to suggest people do otherwise -- it is their software, after all -- I just think it's an odd request, along the lines of having to have a serial number in order to get a hardware driver.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 04/09/2004 00:28

Quote:
I just think it's an odd request

I just took it as a way to limit distribution in case there is a bug. A few people emailing around links to the beggers keeps it under control, but if everyone who wanders into general downloads and installs it and there is a major bug its a bigger deal. Kind of like Google's Gmail invite thing. I don't want to speak for Rob though, and someone was kind enough to hook me up so I'm happy

-Mike
Posted by: ecoen

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 04/09/2004 01:34

Can you PM me with the addr as well. I am on cablemodem (3Mb), so it should be fairly fast.

Thanks,
Ed

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 04/09/2004 02:35

Quote:
I just took it as a way to limit distribution in case there is a bug.

And there does appear to be an issue with auto_eq that could damage speakers. Be careful people.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 04/09/2004 14:44

Quote:
Quote:
we were told not to distribute the alpha UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

Actually Rob said here that sharing with friends was OK. Obviously he doesn't want it posted to the world, but I got the impression that a few people emailing it around was OK.

-Mike

Well after reading that, I'd still say what is being done is wrong. Friends and colleagues it says, someone just posting 'Me too please....' or some such doesn't really qualify as a friend or colleague to me.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 04/09/2004 15:27

Are you trying to make sure you're the only one that has it?

Except for Justin Larsen, I consider us all friends..

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 04/09/2004 15:32

Trust me, after blowing speakers with auto eq I sometimes wish I didn't have a8.
Posted by: Chao

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 07/09/2004 13:48

We could always set up a torrent
Posted by: Roger

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 07/09/2004 14:26

Quote:
Well after reading that, I'd still say what is being done is wrong.

I read that as: sharing the physical CD with friends/whatever is fine. Distributing it by any other mechanism is not.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 07/09/2004 16:06

Glad I'm not the only one then.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 07/09/2004 16:43

Will ask matthew_k to remove it then...
Posted by: Daria

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 07/09/2004 19:12

Quote:
Trust me, after blowing speakers with auto eq I sometimes wish I didn't have a8.

Actually, hm. Car needs new speakers anyway, maybe I should blow them out.
Posted by: serrano1

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 07/09/2004 19:25

Is this still viable?

Please email me the link.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 08/09/2004 02:19

Sorry, but no...

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 08/09/2004 09:55

Quote:

I'm not particularly pleased about damaging them. There was nothing wrong with them in the first place. The thought of spending over a £100 for no good reason really pisses me off!

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 08/09/2004 20:26

How could any signal blow a speaker unless your amp was too high to begin with? I doubt the alpha had anything to do with it, even if it was supplying a very distorted signal.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 08/09/2004 20:41

Quote:
How could any signal blow a speaker unless your amp was too high to begin with?

If the software did some full-deflection sudden pops with the volume knob turned up loud enough, those could theoretically damage speakers.

My system is tweaked so that -10db is about the perfect all-by-myself-on-the-freeway listening level, and I have that extra few DB as headroom so that I can turn things up extra loud if I need to (for instance, a really quiet song if voladj is off for example). I could imagine a full-deflection pop being speaker-damaging even on my carefully tuned system.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 08/09/2004 21:53

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not particularly pleased about damaging them. There was nothing wrong with them in the first place. The thought of spending over a £100 for no good reason really pisses me off!

I understand. Mine on the other hand came with the car, and when i got the amp and the empeg installed i didn't have time for a set of speakers also (we got there with the car at 11am and wanted to be in boston, 10 hours drive away, by midnight; i think we missed, and got there closer to 3am)

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 09/09/2004 08:17

Quote:
How could any signal blow a speaker unless your amp was too high to begin with? I doubt the alpha had anything to do with it, even if it was supplying a very distorted signal.

Have you heard alpha8 going skitz? I haven't looked on an oscilloscope but I'd imagine the waveforms look scary. Try feeding a square wave at normal listening level through your system. FWIW it was an HF driver that failed...

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 09/09/2004 09:43

I guess that makes sense. Some of the music I listen to from my industrial days has a lot of square waves, so I have my system set where 0dB is loud enough for me, for the loudest song and voladj while I'm alone in the car. There are times I wish I had more volume to play with, but I decided to play it safe with my setup.

I know that it has been recomended (after Andy's experience) to have to volume turned down a bit, maybe the next alpha could go through a series of commands such as turning off random, lowering volume to -30dB, turning off loudness, etc etc.

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 09/09/2004 17:16

I'm thinking that a temporay hijack fix should be possible - a menu option to enforce muting whilst the eq is applied. (I think that it has to be able to be switched off for manual eq tweaking.)
Posted by: jbrinkerhoff

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 14/09/2004 17:18

I realize Im coming into this a bit late, but if perchance someone would share a8 with me, I would be most grateful. Standard disclaimers - I know it can screw me up, and I know not to redistribute it to other than "friends". Someone (nameless) was kind enough to share the earlier alphas with me and I was responsible with those too :-)

Mainly I want to try auto-eq, as manually fiddling with the EQ is an excersize in lengthy trial and error for me...

PM me if you can share. I can provide a private ftp or whatever means necessary...

TIA
Jeff

Re: Little late request for v3a8... - 14/09/2004 19:54

Have you read this thread?