Will there ever be an Empeg 3?

Posted by: mschrag

Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 00:53

I'm just curious what the odds are that Rio will eventually produce another car player? Are the economics just not there to do it or is it something that's got some potential? I, for one, would love to see this happen someday ... Not sure what I would do with myself if I didn't squandor my freetime working on jEmplodes once everyone's Empegs die of old age
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 04:43

I don't know, but Skunk's "double-din, pop out, touch screen MKIII" design was pretty killer. (too physically and mentally exhausted to find the link...) Maybe the empeg guys should get him in on the design work!
Posted by: mdavey

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 08:24

A two-part design would be kinda interesting. Have the power amp, charger circuit, fan and large 16M colour touch screen in the part that gets left behind and a Carbon-like bit that pops out and consists of batteries, media, player and headphone socket. Or have the carbon-like bit plug into something like a mobile phone holder to interface with the bit that gets left behind.

Hmm, doesn't this thread belong in wish-list
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 12:41

I sure hope so, I have a visa card I never use set aside just for empeg 3 but I don't think its going to happen. Too many companies own different parts of the empeg rights, so in my opinion the only way a empeg3 will happen would be if some start-up company makes one and license the rights. I would be order number1 if someone would make a full color touch screen empeg with 40 or so gig and a tuner built in.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 12:45

Quote:
Too many companies own different parts of the empeg rights...

Eh? As far as I know, the rights to the empeg hardware and software are owned entirely by Rio. They'd have been purchased from SONICblue at the bankruptcy auction by D&M, along with everything else.
Posted by: peter

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 13:58

Quote:
Eh? As far as I know, the rights to the empeg hardware and software are owned entirely by Rio. They'd have been purchased from SONICblue at the bankruptcy auction by D&M, along with everything else.

That's my understanding too, except that Rio isn't actually the name of a company; it's a brand owned by Digital Networks North America, who AFAICT are the actual owners of the Empeg copyrights.

Peter
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 14:18

Was this the image you were refering to?
Skunk's MKIII

Id love a real one of those
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 14:30

Camelot!
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 14:48

Quote:
Camelot!

On second thought lets not go there, Tis a silly place.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 15:06

Well, Rio/DNNA are highly unlikely to do one, but....
Posted by: oliver

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 19:31

I like the sound of that "but...."
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 20:24

With all the cars that have unremovable stereo systems I think the best way to go about it would be to have a box with a removable HDD that could be mounted anywhere and have a seperate display / control panel. Kind of like the neo 35 only not crap.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 20:38

Naw, keep the storage/portable player in your pocket or glovebox and have the tunes stream to the purpose built headunit via bluetooth!
Posted by: Daria

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 20:39

Quote:
Naw, keep the storage/portable player in your pocket or glovebox and have the tunes stream to the purpose built headunit via bluetooth!

Use 802.11. Bluetooth is not the answer to everything.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 20:44

Fine by me, I don't own anything with bluetooth, I just hear about it all the time!

You could even stream to a caravan of cars w. the same headunit!
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 21:15

Quote:
Camelot!

Naw, I wish they had taken a shot at Kennedy.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 20/09/2004 23:26

That would be gppd except that 1.8" HDDs do not have enough capacity.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 21/09/2004 15:47

...yet.
Posted by: Skunk

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 21/09/2004 16:37

Actually, it is a single din design. If the components were to be small enough, the screen half would house the touch screen LCD and player circuitry.

The bottom half would house a drive, buttons and a small single character display with circuitry.
The space not occupied by a traditional second drive would house the A/V components including video-in capabilities.

That would be soo sweet.......... [sigh]
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 21/09/2004 17:04

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Touch screens are SUCK for in-car stereo equipment.

Tactile feedback is key.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 21/09/2004 22:01

Quote:
Tactile feedback is key.

I take it you've not heard of this then.

Stu
Posted by: andy

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 22/09/2004 07:32

That looks very neat, but can you actually move your finger over the panel "feeling" the buttons, or do you have to press a button before the feedback is activated ? If you can't run your finger over the panel to feel where the buttons are they it is probably not very useful.
Posted by: loren

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 22/09/2004 16:07

I've played around with that thing in my friends car and it's weeeeird. You can actually run your finger across it and feel the buttons. Only thing is they all feel similar despite having 8 different patterns. It's a really odd sensation, hard to describe, but sort of a light vibration. It's definitely impressive, but not a replacement for physical buttons imho.
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 28/09/2004 03:07

tactile feedback

edit:

Damn i'm slow
Posted by: tms13

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 06/10/2004 16:05

I'd love to see a player that could display through the (touch ) screen of my Prius, and I think that after the current period of gratuitous incompatibilities (mainly due to the rate of change in car audio technology), we'll see some interconnect standards for audio storage and playback, so devices from different manufacturers can speak the same protocol (i.e. cassette, AM, FM/RDS, DAB, XM, CD/MD changers, HD MP3 players, and NYMHFT*), with provision for 3rd-party nav systems and the like to 'borrow' (bits of) the display and input systems.

(Hmm, I really ought to learn - when I have time after all the other calls on my Copious Free Time - how to reduce my outpourings substantially, or else how to divide them into shorter, sharper sentences to ease the load on the reader who, even now, is desperately clinging on to the opening context in case I should return to it once more - but, alas, I fear I shall not.)

* Next year's must-have flash toy

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 06/10/2004 16:08

I thought people had figured out how to hook up to the Prius' screen, and if so the hijack web server exporting the "visuals" would be enough, right?
Posted by: tms13

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 06/10/2004 16:26

I think somebody has video through the Prius display (using the inputs the reversing camera would use), but no way of getting user input through. This is all a bit vague, as I haven't been following in detail. There are some bright people out there (and Prius is something that naturally attracts geeks!), so the future is promising...
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 06/10/2004 20:33

That gets me thinking. Instead of using hijacks webserver, or together with, just use Tony's Face program. Create a large skin that fills your touch screen, and there you go. Of course then you have just put a car-puter in which could play MP3's anyway. But the key is you are still using the empeg software and UI (and a complex over-done install! )

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 06/10/2004 20:37

Quote:
That gets me thinking. Instead of using hijacks webserver, or together with, just use Tony's Face program. Create a large skin that fills your touch screen, and there you go. Of course then you have just put a car-puter in which could play MP3's anyway. But the key is you are still using the empeg software and UI (and a complex over-done install! )

Seems like it'd be easier to write an empeg hardware emulator...
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 06/10/2004 20:43

Probably!

Re: Will there ever be an Empeg 3? - 07/10/2004 00:10

Quote:
Probably!

http://www.davidsharp.com/tarmac/
http://armphetamine.sourceforge.net/#download

then you just need to emulate the other stuff. you know, the hard part:-\

actually there are probably easier ways to do it if you forget about the kernel and just use more direct emulation. it will just mean you need to do something special in a few select cases. Hm.