News on Darkstorm

Posted by: bigstupidjerk

News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 03:27

I have been offthe forum for a while. Has anyone heard what has happened to Steve Silva from Darkstorm? I have a order over a year old that has not been filled. PLEASE HELP WITH ANY INFO!!!
Posted by: webroach

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 03:33

Ummm, I hate to tell you, but you may as well write off your order with Steve. I don't think anyone knows if he's even still alive.

Best bet is to put in an order with Filener. Excellent lens, excellent service.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 04:28

Darn, based on the subject line I was hoping that you were saying you *had* information about him. We're all wondering where he's gotten off to...

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 04:42

Quote:
Darn, based on the subject line I was hoping that you were saying you *had* information about him. We're all wondering where he's gotten off to...

Strange.... that was my first thought as well.
Posted by: Laura

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 05:47

I think that we'd all like to know how he is doing.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 17:18

Last I heard, he had lung cancer.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 17:22

Yes, but we want to know how he's doing?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 17:30

Don't know...was just offering that tidbit to bigstupidjerk, who hasn't been around in a long time.
Posted by: bigstupidjerk

Re: News on Darkstorm - 28/09/2004 18:59

I sent a email to his webite and it was immediately returned as undeliverable. The Guy Must be GONE!!!
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: News on Darkstorm - 29/09/2004 20:33

I think he kept in touch with Paul G but that was months back. Maybe Paul can chip in here.
Posted by: Daria

Re: News on Darkstorm - 30/09/2004 00:40

If he couldn't pay the bill to his ISP, they'd have cut him off. Really it means nothing.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 30/09/2004 01:06

I sent him an email tonight but have not heard back but it didn't get returned either. I'll let everyone know if I hear anything.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: News on Darkstorm - 30/09/2004 08:17

I have heard nothing from him for over a year, maybe longer. After repeated attempts to contact him, I did not pursue it further.
Posted by: CHiP

Re: News on Darkstorm - 05/10/2004 05:39

i sent him about $100 for some lenses well over a year ago, never heard back, it sucks, but you're not alone. Sometimes this happens.
Posted by: Bagpuss

Re: News on Darkstorm - 05/10/2004 12:02

Some of his webpages are still around. Check out:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/r/drkstorm/Empeg/index.htm

Bagpuss.
Posted by: boxer

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 10:25

If he's still in the Pompano Beach area of Florida, two Stephen Silva's are listed J & C, of course, he might be neither of them, but if those that have lost money want to pursue it further, you would have to pay for a more comprehensive profile.
I don't read him as being intentionally a crook, but that life has punched him on the nose and he has panicked and reacted badly.
Posted by: genixia

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 10:34

Care to stand behind your words? Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. Maybe he's dead. We don't know.

Whatever, my point is that this community differs from others in that cowardly 'anonymous' potentially slanderous postings such as your above are not considered helpful or wanted.
Posted by: siberia37

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 11:23

Quote:
I have been offthe forum for a while. Has anyone heard what has happened to Steve Silva from Darkstorm? I have a order over a year old that has not been filled. PLEASE HELP WITH ANY INFO!!!

Has anyone thought of filing a police report with the county where he lived? I know it might seem to extreme for some, but it might be an easy way to get the information. If the police found out he is deceased at least the issue will be solved and if he's not.. well the issue will be resolved too.
Posted by: sn00p

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 15:16

Quote:
Care to stand behind your words? Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. Maybe he's dead. We don't know.

Whatever, my point is that this community differs from others in that cowardly 'anonymous' potentially slanderous postings such as your above are not considered helpful or wanted.

Given that a fair few people on him paid for lenses and never received anything (me included - me personally over $100), then I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment - illness or not, he was still around for a while after I'd paid him and pre him saying anything about cancer.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 15:25

Quote:
Quote:

Given that a fair few people on him paid for lenses and never received anything (me included - me personally over $100), then I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment - illness or not, he was still around for a while after I'd paid him and pre him saying anything about cancer.

Well, you have the guts to stand up to your words, that's commendable. Thank you.
Posted by: phi144

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 15:47

As we all know or have been told Steve has been dealt a crappy set of cards. I just wanted to point out that I have also ordered lenses from him in the past first when we started his little business and again a while later. In all cases he filled my order. Granted the second and third orders I placed took a good 10 months to complete.

My point being, he did fill many orders. I agree that a lot of people did not receive anything. If he did indeed have/has lung cancer his priorities changed. Although, again, I agree with some that this should have been handled better.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 15:52

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well, you have the guts to stand up to your words, that's commendable. Thank you.

Not my words I'm standing up for, I've long since given up any hope of receiving the lenses or a refund, as I said, even when he was still regularly posting on here I'd not received any response to PM's or emails I'd sent asking when he was going to send my lenses.

There seems to be an attitude on here that "forgives" him for not responding/supplying lenses/refunding because he was ill, the least he could have done was said "I'm ill, I had to give up work, I've had to use your money for other purposes" - after all, he had time to make other posts on the bbs. I wouldn't have been happy, but hey, there's more to life than money. I don't even remember him apologising for this, infact if I recall correctly he got quite nasty when somebody on here asked for a refund.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 16:01

Quote:
Not my words I'm standing up for, I've long since given up any hope of receiving the lenses or a refund, as I said, even when he was still regularly posting on here I'd not received any response to PM's or emails I'd sent asking when he was going to send my lenses.

Er. I didn't mean to imply you were the anonymous person. I was thanking you for making a "bad" post and not feeling the need to not acknowledge they were your words.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 16:04

Sheesh, it's wrong to agree with somebody now......

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 16:07

Quote:
Sheesh, it's wrong to agree with somebody now......

It is? Crap. I'm doomed.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 17:59

So now you're saying it's 'obvious' that he is a thief. Are you the judge and jury?

Don't get me wrong. Assuming that he is indeed still alive, I think it's about time people tracked him down to find out what is happening. Members of this community have shown great patience, and regardless of any illness or calamity that may have fallen on him, it is well past time that he dealt with the fact that he owes people money.

But that still doesn't change the fact that your statement was potentially libelous (*). Until convicted of theft, you cannot label anyone a thief without it being at least _potentially_ libelous. Suppose he ended up in court on charges and was found not guilty (for whatever reason or technicality). He could then turn around and sue Tom for publishing that statement.

I don't want to stop anyone expressing their opinion. Free speech is protected to begin with, and it's not like I have any way to stop it anyway even if I were so inclined. But you didn't express an opinion that you thought that he was a thief. You outright called him one.

A judge in a libel case just isn't going to care how long you've been lurking anonymously on a forum, or what has been posted before, when deciding whether he is indeed a thief. He's going to look at the convictions - and only the convictions.

Welcome to the community. Please treat it with care.

(*) Yeah, I used the wrong word earlier. Libel is writtten, slander is spoken. I think you knew what I meant.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 18:01

Quote:
Yeah, I used the wrong word earlier. Libel is writtten, slander is spoken. I think you knew what I meant.

I loved that line in Spider-Man.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 19:41

You absolutely have got to be kidding. We're in some world were we can't call someone who took dozens of people's money, never delivered and never appologized a theif? I wish people here showed 1/2 of the sympathy towards the people that lost their money as they do towards DS. I don't recall a single person on this BBS saying that they would still be mad at him if he ever appologized. Yet for some reason, the moment that anybody complains about losing their hard earned money, they are attacked. If I recall correctly, one of the main issues that caused him to never make lenses was that his "dumb boss" wouldn't let him use the company machine to do it.

I also know of several people that own empegs but are not active members of this BBS that got ripped off. This isn't just one or two people we're talking about. This is most likely hundreds of dollars.

We aren't running a major newspaper here. This isn't slander or libel or anything like that. This is people who have been robbed. I think we need to look at priorities here. I would gladly choose to be "slandered" on a BBS with 50 or so active members, only one of whom I've met in person, over having my money being taken from me.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 19:44

Quote:
You absolutely have got to be kidding. We're in some world were we can't call someone who took dozens of people's money, never delivered and never appologized a theif?

Actually, he said calling Darkstorm a "thief" was libelous; He said nothing about "theif", which is good, because if you want to call people nonsense words, that's your right.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 19:55

Posted by: FireFox31

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 20:57

So, then, someone should file a police report, like siberia37 said. It's a good starting point to help a bunch of people get back their money. Who wants to make that call?

(ps: I ordered a bunch of lenses from Dark Storm over time, and they came quickly and without issue.)

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 21:01

I for one am one of the people that lost over $100. But having gone through a cancer scare of my own this week I am not angry with Steve though granted, it could have been handled a little better. If anyone here knows someone that has cancer or lost someone to cancer (I've lost four family members to cancer), it can change a person and make them very angry at the world. The chemo and radiation treatments leave you with little strength and feeling like crap and it also bleeds out your bank account and leaves you with a great deal of medical bills.

I hope Steve was able to kick the cancer and is still alive and we probably will never get our money back or any lenses, but be thankful everyday that you don't have cancer yourself and just drop the matter.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 23:04

Laura, well put. Steve certainly deserves compassion for his ordeal, and I pray that he is doing well. But I also sympathize with the people who lost money, many of whom complained well before we knew of Steve's heath.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 06/10/2004 23:56

There seems to be an attitude on here that "forgives" him for not responding/supplying lenses/refunding because he was ill, the least he could have done was said "I'm ill, I had to give up work, I've had to use your money for other purposes"

If I had to guess (and that's all this is: a guess) I would say that DarkStorm's troubles are so severe that the trivial little problem of him owing a bunch of people maybe a thousand dollars or so is so far down on the list that it doesn't even register on his consciousness.

When your house is on fire, worrying about what color hoses the firemen are using isn't going to be a big concern. Similarly, if you are dying...

tanstaafl.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 00:35

I just want to clarify, as far as we know (and I just browsed through old threads) non-delivery began way before he was found to have cancer. I remember him mentioning a broken rib and his boss not letting him use the company machine at one point. Of course, if he had known for a long time and never wanted to share publicly, I wouldn't blame him. It's really none of our business. I just don't want the casual reader to think that these people who are complaining were being insensitive. They had been left in the dark for a long time and had no indication that Steve's health was an issue.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 01:25

You know, this may make me some enemies, but damn it, Brad is right and someone needs to say so.

1) Steve (who I didn't know, but who's post I have read many times, and who's story I am very farmiliar with) took peoples money and didn't provide the product or service he promised. That is wrong.

2) Cancer is foul. As foul as it gets. It is terrifying, and nobody should have to ever deal with it. What it is not is an excuse to use other peoples money without their permission.

3) I hope Steve is ok. I would never wish his ordeal on anyone.

People need to stop arguing about this. Whether or not Steve is still alive, the odds of getting the money back are pretty much nil. What is important is that we are all a community, and that we continue to be one.

I, too, think that it is stretching it a bit to get indignant with people because they're angry about losing their money. We all have things we get mad about, and we say angry things. But we ALL do it sometime.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 01:31

Quote:
I just don't want the casual reader to think that these people who are complaining were being insensitive. They had been left in the dark for a long time and had no indication that Steve's health was an issue.

That's fair. I have a bias. I drive around enjoying 2 shipments of Steve's work, so I don't feel personally burnt, but there were times when Steve's communications to the board were....difficult.

I have seen cases on other boards where people were clearly thieves and scam artists from day one and people on those boards relished updates as the police closed in. Steve, whatever his sometimes-grumpy relations, delivered too much good stuff to people like me to fall into that category.

What happened? I can't begin to guess. Not being out any money, I don't have a particular stake in any opinion other than taking his word for what seemed a bad situation. I lean toward tanstaafl's interpretation. If I were out $100, might I want to start a committee to involve the police and find out what the deal really is? Maybe. Would I want to spend all of that emotional and mental energy only to find that Steve is gone missing, in jail, in hospital, or......?

Steve, if you are out there and want to dispute my characterization of your relations as "grumpy", well, jump in.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 01:36

Quote:
Quote:
I just don't want the casual reader to think that these people who are complaining were being insensitive. They had been left in the dark for a long time and had no indication that Steve's health was an issue.

That's fair. I have a bias. I drive around enjoying 2 shipments of Steve's work, so I don't feel personally burnt, but there were times when Steve's communications to the board were....difficult.

Dude, I seem to have lost my bias, can i borrow yours? I don't want to be caught without... there are still 2 work days left this week.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 02:07

Quote:
Dude, I seem to have lost my bias, can i borrow yours? I don't want to be caught without... there are still 2 work days left this week.

Two work days left this week??? Dude you gotta sign up for the totally sekrit public employee compact work week. E-mail me with PGP key for sekrit details.

Now, on the lens front, I must tell you that I busted one of my Darkstorm smoke lenses, but if there is anything else I can maybe help you with, lens-wise, to perhaps ease your pain, e-mail me. I think I have a blue one.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 02:20

Quote:

Two work days left this week??? Dude you gotta sign up for the totally sekrit public employee compact work week. E-mail me with PGP key for sekrit details.

Now, on the lens front, I must tell you that I busted one of my Darkstorm smoke lenses, but if there is anything else I can maybe help you with, lens-wise, to perhaps ease your pain, e-mail me. I think I have a blue one.

I'm set on the lenses. I need some of that bias...

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 02:29

Quote:
I'm set on the lenses. I need some of that bias...

No problem. Piece of cake.

Just stand up and (taking due care to brace yourself, of course) lean to the left.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 03:00

This post was written hours ago, but unfortunately I forgot to hit submit before I went out for the evening. I recognise that the thread has moved on in that time, but wanted to post it anyway...

Quote:
You absolutely have got to be kidding. We're in some world were we can't call someone who took dozens of people's money, never delivered and never appologized a theif?[sic]

No, I'm quite serious. That is the World that you live in. That is the Country that you live in.

If you want to think that he's a thief, fine. If you want to express your opinion that you think that he's a thief, fine. Neither of those could ever land Tom in any trouble. Go ahead, say it if it makes you feel better. Type, "I think that he is a thief." into a reply. You'll hear no stick from me if you do. Just please make it clear that it is your personal opinion, and not a fact.

Quote:
I wish people here showed 1/2 of the sympathy towards the people that lost their money as they do towards DS.

Where is all this sympathy? I certainly don't share his viewpoints or opinions. I thought that he was brash and rude in many of his postings. Sure, when he posted that he had lung cancer I felt sorry for the guy, but if you're suggesting that there is a recent slew of "Poor Darkstorm" posts, I haven't seen any.

Quote:
We aren't running a major newspaper here. This isn't slander or libel or anything like that.

This may not be a major newpaper, but the statement "Mr X. is a thief", would be libelous, unless you could prove that Mr X. was indeed a thief. Thinking about it a bit more, people freely sent money of their own volition. It was not taken from them. IANAL, but I don't think that counts as robbey, so that disqualifies him as a thief. What he is alleged to have done would qualify as fraud though. So he's possibly a fraudster.

Quote:
This is people who have been robbed. I think we need to look at priorities here.

It certainly appears that a significant number of people have been defrauded. And I'm not about to pass any judgement on anyone who persues that through whatever legal avenues they deem appropriate.

As I am not owed anything by Darkstorm, I have no priorities in this matter. It would be really nice if we could all avoid implicating Tom or this BBS in any libel actions though.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 07:36

Quote:

If I had to guess (and that's all this is: a guess) I would say that DarkStorm's troubles are so severe that the trivial little problem of him owing a bunch of people maybe a thousand dollars or so is so far down on the list that it doesn't even register on his consciousness.

When your house is on fire, worrying about what color hoses the firemen are using isn't going to be a big concern. Similarly, if you are dying...

tanstaafl.

Fact of the matter is, he was still posting regularly on here at the time I placed my order, he had the time to post here, time to renew his internet hosting but not apparently the time to make lenses/reply to my pm's and emails asking him what was going on. THIS WAS QUITE A LONG TIME PRIOR TO HIM MENTIONING CANCER. (apologies for shouting!)

I'm sure it wouldn't have taken him more than 5 minutes to put up a message or email the people concerned explaining the situation (whatever it was at that point). He posted other messages, so I don't see why he coulnd't contact us.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to check out of this world knowing that theres a long list of people being made "unhappy" by me.
Posted by: andy

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 10:23

Quote:
Besides, since you're accusing me of libel

I think if you go back and read his posts you'll find that he didn't say you had libelled Steve, just that the things you said were potentially libelous
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 11:16

Quote:
fraudster

Personally, I prefer the term "bunco artist".

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 16:55

Quote:
I'm sure it wouldn't have taken him more than 5 minutes to put up a message or email the people concerned explaining the situation (whatever it was at that point). He posted other messages, so I don't see why he coulnd't contact us.

If you had someone's money, and couldn't for whatever reason make good, wouldn't you be rather, well, ashamed, to step up and confess to that?

Quote:
I sure as hell wouldn't want to check out of this world knowing that theres a long list of people being made "unhappy" by me.

Well, that's you. Next?

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 16:56

Quote:
Quote:
fraudster

All dice games are frauds

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 19:37

Quote:

Both terms connote some degree of premeditation and planning -- also some notion that the fraudster/artist gets an attactive return. I have a hard time thinking of the Steve saga in those kinds of terms (but a number of people mention that they are out significant sums) so, as much as I deride insta-polls, here's one:

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 20:35

Quote:
Quote:

If you had someone's money, and couldn't for whatever reason make good, wouldn't you be rather, well, ashamed, to step up and confess to that?

Quote:

Well, that's you. Next?

Do you actually have anything worth saying *at all*, all you've done in this thread is post pointless replies, which is getting rather tiresome now. If you've got nothing constructive to add, it's probably best to keep your mouth shut.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 07/10/2004 20:44

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well, that's you. Next?

Do you actually have anything worth saying *at all*, all you've done in this thread is post pointless replies, which is getting rather tiresome now. If you've got nothing constructive to add, it's probably best to keep your mouth shut.

In other threads, sure. In this thread, the level of discourse never got high enough to bother getting out any of the highbrow stuff, so it's still in a box by my feet. This last post doesn't change that, either.

As to the shame bit, I was serious, but, well, you've already written me off as a crackpot, so, just forget I said anything.
Posted by: CHiP

Re: News on Darkstorm - 08/10/2004 06:05

i've got 2 other friends who dont post to this bbs, together, are out over $100. Plus, i'm out over $100.
Posted by: andy

Re: News on Darkstorm - 08/10/2004 10:20

Since we are adding up, I'm out $50 (which I didn't care much about til I realised just how many other people are also out $50-$100)

Re: News on Darkstorm - 08/10/2004 13:20

Quote:
i've got 2 other friends who dont post to this bbs, together, are out over $100. Plus, i'm out over $100

Which is why you can't trust self-selecting polls/surveys (or at least really have to watch any interpretation carefully).

My only interest was to question whether this saga started out as a scam or some sort of pyramid scheme. I don't think it did. That doesn't get you, Andy, Laura, yoru friends and other folks your money back. What else to conclude/say? I don't know.
Posted by: Chao

Re: News on Darkstorm - 08/10/2004 13:48

Quote:
My only interest was to question whether this saga started out as a scam or some sort of pyramid scheme. I don't think it did. That doesn't get you, Andy, Laura, yoru friends and other folks your money back. What else to conclude/say? I don't know.
I don't believe that it was, I had no issues with my order a couple of years ago. I wouldn't hold out any hope right now, though.
Posted by: rafran

Re: News on Darkstorm - 09/10/2004 08:09

My bank account was lessened to the tune of over $130. And to date, no product received.
Posted by: fusto

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 00:33

I'm only out $25 bucks.
Not as much as some of you guys but still, I could use an extra $25 right now.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 02:21

I didn't really want to get involved but I got "done" as well. I previously had 3 successful transactions with Steve. Very helpful all 3 times.

My final payment for $45.50 in Jan 2003, resulted in nothing even when I was trying to contact him shortly after the payment.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 14:23

Quote:
I'm only out $25 bucks.
Not as much as some of you guys but still, I could use an extra $25 right now.

Dude! Lummi Island! Wuzzup???

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 14:28

Huh?

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 14:42

Quote:
I didn't really want to get involved but I got "done" as well. I previously had 3 successful transactions with Steve. Very helpful all 3 times.

My final payment for $45.50 in Jan 2003, resulted in nothing even when I was trying to contact him shortly after the payment.

(For somebody who supposedly disses BBS polls, I have sure started a lot of them lately! I guess I view them as an interesting vehicle for further discussion.)

If any response/post typifies the situation vis-a-vis Darkstorm, I guess your post does. If I had decided to order a few more lenses (which I did consider) I might unhappily be able to post the same experience as you.

As of today, 74 percent of self-selected respondants who say they sent money report that they got everything they ordered. I am also going to guess that the self-selection bias in this poll is possibly biased toward the negative result -- more folks tune in to this thread who are interested in what happened to their money than folks who got what they ordered (even though it has been shown that some of the former are underrepresented in this poll -- no BBS account). This supports my sense that this falls into a different category than fraud/bunco.

Possible biases aside, it looks like at least 13 people sent money (considerable sums) and did not get what they deserved. What to do about that? Well.....

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 14:46

Quote:
Huh?

Check fusto's profile . He has transmogrified...or he has become anti-coastal. I am not sure which.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 16:30

I understand the point of displaying a ratio of "happy" vs. "unhappy" customers, it shows scale. But knowing that a bunch of other people weren't ripped off doesn't console the people that are out of money. More importantly, the poll has no way of gaging WHEN the events occurred. Perhaps 100% of the people that placed orders after day X were ripped off.

To be honest, I was upset when I thought that the damages totaled in the hundreds of dollars range. But I think we've found out that the damages have at least tipped into the $1,000+ range. I think it's safe to assume that since this all started to happen a long time ago, many people may have stopped frequenting the BBS, so the number may be even higher.

Another issue to consider, does "% of people screwed" somehow relate to "was anyone screwed"? I don't see the relation. Just because "some" or even "most" people were served well, does that make the "very few" that were harmed by his actions/inactions meaningless?

And isn't possession worth something? Just because I didn't actively steal something, I am still responsible if I find myself in possession of goods or funds that do not belong to me. Sure, I may have not intended to take something that wasn't mine, but that does not make it right for me to keep it.

Many of you know of the recent trouble I had in acquiring an empeg that I purchased from a BBS member. Never during that whole ordeal did I suspect that person of posting a fake sale in order to collect my money and run. I always though that he was simply inconsiderate and didn't really see the big deal in keeping a "just a few hundred bucks" of mine. But that didn't stop many of you from encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities. Yet, for some reason Steve seams to get a free ride, even though we're talking about a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I guess the sad part of all of this is that considering what an understanding group we all are, a few simple emails from Steve would have put a lot of this to rest.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 16:59

Quote:
I understand the point of displaying a ratio of "happy" vs. "unhappy" customers, it shows scale. But knowing that a bunch of other people weren't ripped off doesn't console the people that are out of money.

Nor is it meant to. Seriously, I was probably one hair's width away from being one of the people who was/is out $100 or more.

Quote:
More importantly, the poll has no way of gaging WHEN the events occurred. Perhaps 100% of the people that placed orders after day X were ripped off.

Absolutely true. This is why insta-polls deserve critical scrutiny.

Quote:
To be honest, I was upset when I thought that the damages totaled in the hundreds of dollars range. But I think we've found out that the damages have at least tipped into the $1,000+ range. I think it's safe to assume that since this all started to happen a long time ago, many people may have stopped frequenting the BBS, so the number may be even higher.

Absolutely true. If there is a reason I am glad I put the poll up, it is that the poll at least represents the "floor" of folks who are out $$$. I would not want anyone to think that the results correctly estimate the actual numbers of folks who are out some money (though I would still guess that the response bias leans toward folks who are trying to figure out where their money went. JMHO.)

Quote:
Another issue to consider, does "% of people screwed" somehow relate to "was anyone screwed"? I don't see the relation. Just because "some" or even "most" people were served well, does that make the "very few" that were harmed by his actions/inactions meaningless?

Not in any way. My only point was whether "Darkstorm Lenses (TM)" was, from the outset, a scam/fraud. I don't think that is the case. Also, I consider the possibility that Steve was somehow struggling to make output equal input -- pay bills, meet obligations, et cetera -- and then encountered malignant circumstances that threw a wrench into all of that. But I have no basis for estimating the likelihood of that. (Edit:: it is also conceivable to me that at some point Darkstorm decided "Heck, here's my chance to make $1000 for nothing" but I also have no basis to estimate the likelihood of that.)

Quote:
And isn't possession worth something? Just because I didn't actively steal something, I am still responsible if I find myself in possession of goods or funds that do not belong to me. Sure, I may have not intended to take something that wasn't mine, but that does not make it right for me to keep it.

Agreed. Don't take my anti-fraud/bunco posts as some sort of a defense. I am trying to think of other terms. Dishonest? Lack of integrity/ I don't know.

Of course, if I get a bunch of preorders for my new Empeg-Radioshark interface and then find out that I have the "Big C". Well, fark it. I am *definitely* going to Mexico and taking all your money with me!

Quote:
Many of you know of the recent trouble I had in acquiring an empeg that I purchased from a BBS member. Never during that whole ordeal did I suspect that person of posting a fake sale in order to collect my money and run. I always though that he was simply inconsiderate and didn't really see the big deal in keeping a "just a few hundred bucks" of mine. But that didn't stop many of you from encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities. Yet, for some reason Steve seams to get a free ride, even though we're talking about a lot more than a few hundred dollars.

I followed that thread with great interest and dismay. More dismay, perhaps, because, so far as I knew, the seller had no track record other than electrons on this BBS (but I would like to hope and believe that is no small thing). Darkstorm, for better or worse, delivered a bunch of lenses to people. He made my Empeg fit in with my odd green WRX dash.

At the time I followed that thread, I e-mailed a member of the BBS and asked (What the heck, I will say it now) "Drug Problem?" For all I know, Darkstorm took more than $1000 and spent it on crack. If he wants to say that he spent it on chemotherapy, he is welcome to e-mail me and I will convey that to the BBS. OTOH, if I got to the point that I had to Go To Mexico (TM), I can assure you that I would stop reading this BBS and stop caring what this BBS said about jimhogan.

Quote:
I guess the sad part of all of this is that considering what an understanding group we all are, a few simple emails from Steve would have put a lot of this to rest.

Strongly agreed.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 17:41

Quote:
Agreed.

You're breaking tradition here!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: News on Darkstorm - 10/10/2004 21:06

Quote:
encouraging me and another member in the same situation to contact the authorities.

I still wonder, wouldn't it be beneficial yet passive enough to contact the authorities in the area that Steve was last seen? It might reveal that he is dead after a stint in the hospital that started around the time people started loosing money. It might reveal he's in jail for drugs. Regardless, it should help answer the question.

Who's going to make the call? (not I, I'm busy making lots of other calls, and my $100 in orders were filled quickly and with no issue)

Re: News on Darkstorm - 11/10/2004 03:19

Quote:
Check fusto's profile . He has transmogrified...or he has become anti-coastal. I am not sure which.

Yeah, I did a bit of a flip flop longitudinally.
My latitude however is almost the same.
Before: 42.37 71.03
After: 48.45 122.37

Hey, these things happen.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 11/10/2004 08:41

All I can't figure is why you didn't invest in a longer trailer to take the VW as well, so that you could both travel together in the truck cab?
Posted by: andym

Re: News on Darkstorm - 11/10/2004 10:25

Quote:
All I can't figure is why you didn't invest in a longer trailer to take the VW as well, so that you could both travel together in the truck cab?

Maybe she gets on his nerves?

Re: News on Darkstorm - 11/10/2004 11:12

Yes, travelling to Caernarfon with Mrs.Boxer is stretching it, and these Americans are talking big distances!
I've just invested in a TomtomGO so that we don't fall out over direction finding, if we get lost, we can round on the little colour screen instead of each other.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 14/10/2004 03:10

Quote:

Mostly 'cause of the cat.
When loose in the car, he has a tendency to hide under the clutch pedal.
Not a good scene in a huge moving truck filled with all your worldly posessions. My significant other could much more ably keep him under control in the VW than I/we could have in the truck.

Short answer:
I hadnt thought of that...

Re: News on Darkstorm - 14/10/2004 06:06

I'll get our cat basket to you by courier, this very day! The one we transport them in.
Posted by: mschrag

Re: News on Darkstorm - 14/10/2004 14:17

In skimming this thread, my brain processed that as "cat casket" rather than "cat basket", made for a creepy chuckle.

Re: News on Darkstorm - 14/10/2004 14:37

Even nastier chuckle, but not one for cat lovers...

Re: News on Darkstorm - 14/10/2004 23:22

Quote:
I'll get our cat basket to you by courier, this very day! The one we transport them in.

Well, we have a cat carrier (not like the one Paul is advertising ) but we thought it would be inhumane to keep him locked in there for 10 to 15 hours a day for 7 days straight (Cape Cod, MA to Lummi Island, WA). Plus he had to come out occasionally to take care of business (i.e. litter box).
So we decided we would need to let him out once in awhile. During the trial runs he repeatedly sequestered himself under the pedals. Hence the seperate traveling accomodations. He got used to the car after awhile and spent the majority of the trip like this: