Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia

Posted by: sidorg

Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 05:43

Has anyone heard of the Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia? It looks very much like an Empeg Unit.
http://www.z-media.us/index.asp

If you check the specs, it looks suspiciously like a somewhat updated Empeg unit, with a nicer display, built-in AM/FM tuner, and CD player. It can rip from the CD player, it can record AM/FM radio (that's a killer app), and the internal HDD is removeable, so you can update it using USB 2.0. Built-in amplifier and CDDB database.

This looks like the logical successor of the Empeg. I may have to pick one up. And keep my Empeg at home for a network MP3 player server.

George
Posted by: Taym

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 07:41

Still too many questions unanswered, for me, to say that it even just matches the empeg.
What software features are there? I doub't it comes with anything closer to the empeg-player.
What other compression formats are supported?
How is music stored and organized in the hdd?
Can the hdd be upgraded?

The only real advanteges I see here are: better display (supposedly). Nicer metal look. Integrated radio.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 12:30

Hey, wow! That unit looks great!

I'm outa here now, man!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 15:02

Looks like the max storage possible is 20GB.
Posted by: rob

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 15:18

That's pretty much the spec the Mk.3 might have been a few years ago. Sadly the DIN format is starting to become so niche that I doubt there is any mainstream opportunity for a high end aftermarket head unit. The opportunity has to be in OEM, or interfacing with OEM.

Even that opportunity is slipping away and we all realise by now that hacking an iPod into the system is how it's going to be for most people. Those hacks could get a lot more elegant though.

Rob
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 16:19

We've been hearing about this for a long time. DIN is still the only way to go in retail for a car audio HU. And despite all the fancy new proprietary OEM installations, you can put a DIN unit into practically all cars - with some work.

Now, that said, I think these guys have missed a the boat. The unit looks too retro. With only 20GB of storage, you might as well integrate an iPod into an existing system. Personally I don't like the built-in CD nor radio, but those would definitely be selling points for someone who isn't convinced about file-based digital audio.

That said, I'd favor the Dension unit over this any day.

Bruno
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 16:24

A nice try, no doubt, but just like Alpine's previous offerings of this nature, I'm not going to sit in my car to rip my CD collection to the device. Ok, move it in 4 GB chunks with the proprietary hard drives. But none of that comes close to empeg's connectivity: take the unit inside, connect to standard network, transfer as much as you want.

Quote:
hacking an iPod into the system is how it's going to be for most people.

Amen. "Connectivity box under the seat" to bridge handhelds to factory units, sold as an OEM option when you buy your car. We'll see it soon enough.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 20/11/2004 21:11

More info here. Flash site.

-Zeke
Posted by: cushman

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 21/11/2004 00:07

Quote:
More info here. Flash site.

Gawd-awful Flash site. I stopped looking around after 30 seconds because it was so annoying.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 21/11/2004 15:32

To be fair, it looks like the whole 20GB drive pulls out and can be connected to your PC. So you can load all 20GB at one time.

Bruno
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 21/11/2004 16:56

If it recorded XM and had Tivo like features, that'd rock. It wouldn't be a "jukebox" player like the empeg, but rather a tricked out normal radio.

Is the "DIN is dead" argument real? Seems like the navigation and after market stereo business is doing good. No shortage of new models in my Crutchfield.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 21/11/2004 17:05

I disagree. DIN is all I see in the aftermarket car stereo world. OEM is never the choice for professionals or enthusiasts. Unless.... you know something that we don't But you probably do
Posted by: drakino

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 21/11/2004 18:58

Quote:
The only real advanteges

Currently being sold and supported

While I am sure the software is not as good as an empeg, it is a good looking runner up unit. If (diety forbid) my 2 empegs ever fail completely, this unit is what I would currently replace it with. The hard drive seems to be a 2.5 inch disk in a USB enclosure, so this unit could likely have 100 gigs of music, more then enough for my collection.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 21/11/2004 20:52

The price looks like a steal too.
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 22/11/2004 07:13

Without the seemingly real pictures (and with the flash based webpage) I'd normally say vaporware.

Certainly does look it could be decent though and at a reasonable price too.
Posted by: az_max2

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 22/11/2004 15:25

HI, I saw this last year at CES. It was in the tent outside the maln hall, installed in a S2000. I had a long talk with the guys at the booth, they had never heard of the Empeg. They seemed almost indignant when I told them I had been doing the same thing for three years.
From what I remember, it may be good for a common user, but is missing the advanced features of the empeg. The USB harddrive is indeed upgradable, as nothing but music is stored on it. They didn't have XM support planned, and I'm not sure about ripping from CD to HD.
max_

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 22/11/2004 17:33

Quote:
HI, I saw this last year at CES. It was in the tent outside the maln hall, installed in a S2000.

Damn, they even stole our choice of CES demo car

Rob

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 25/11/2004 01:12

Oh, I got a pen that changes color from them too Has the company name on the side. I'll try to take a pic once I find my camera.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 25/11/2004 01:21

Quote:
Oh, I got a pen that changes color from them too Has the company name on the side.

That beats gapless playback..

Rob
Posted by: robricc

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 25/11/2004 03:34

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I got a pen that changes color from them too Has the company name on the side.

That beats gapless playback..

Rio didn't even have a presence on the expo floor at the past 2 CES shows. CES isn't everything, but gapless playback does no good if the only people hearing about it are a chosen few.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 25/11/2004 08:38

Quote:
Rio didn't even have a presence on the expo floor at the past 2 CES shows. CES isn't everything, but gapless playback does no good if the only people hearing about it are a chosen few.

Umm, the chosen few in this case being the press and retail buyers, at Rio's suite in the Hilton. Rio only really have a handful of customers (the retailers) and they get to see all the nice toys in a private suite that could not be shown in a more public context (just in case, say, the nice toy later gets totally cancelled).

Anyway it's a bit academic since the car player was discontinued some years ago!

Rob

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 26/11/2004 00:50

I have no business being admitted to CES, yet I go almost every year. I don't think I'm the only one.

I bought a first-gen NEO35 on the show floor at PCExpo back in 1998 or 99 from SSI America's booth. It's unlikely that would happen at Rio's booth, but Estone having product visible to all attendees probably gave them a lot of sales after the show. And, if the product is good, they spread the word. Convincing Best Buy to carry the Karma and lock it in an unlit glass case at knee-level isn't everything.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 26/11/2004 03:15

CES provides a tremendous opportunity beyond the closed-door deals. Meeting press one-on-one is always good, but there's a bunch more free press to be had by having something demoing to the public. Not to mention innovations awards, etc.

Bruno

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 26/11/2004 16:13

Well I'm not going to spend any time defending Rio :-)

Rob
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 26/11/2004 17:05

So has anyone found a review or some more info about this unit. From their annoying website it looks to be lacking in features.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 29/11/2004 14:51

Quote:
I have no business being admitted to CES, yet I go almost every year. I don't think I'm the only one.

Gee I thought I was the only one with a fake press pass
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 29/11/2004 17:40

I found some more info on it
(see links)

http://www.12volt.com/archives/2004/us013004.html

http://technology360.typepad.com/technology360/2004/11/estone_car_amfm.html

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 29/11/2004 22:33

So it records from the radio that would be a neat feature. I wonder if the HDD can be upgraded 20 GB isn't close to enough.
Posted by: sidorg

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 03/12/2004 04:33

Sure, you'll probably eventually see an OEM option for a MP3 or WMA HD under the seat. How much you want to bet that option will cost you at least $1000? And probably won't be a very well designed option?

What I like about the Estone MP3 player is that it has a built in CD player and tuner. That it can rip songs from the CD player is a nice feature, since I admit it, I would use it on occasion rip a CD from a friend in the car. That it can record FM radio is neat since on occasion you may hear a song you want to save. I doubt you'd want to archive it, since FM reception can be spotty.

I test drove a Toyota Solara the other day. It comes with a 6-CD in dash CD player. I asked the salesdroid if it played MP3. I could tell he never heard that question before. Like I'm supposed to be impressed with a 6-CD player, when I have hundreds of CD on my Empeg? The first thing when I buy a new car is to either rip out the factory unit, or add the Empeg to the system.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 03/12/2004 13:26

Quote:
That it can rip songs from the CD player is a nice feature, since I admit it, I would use it on occasion rip a CD from a friend in the car.

Or just listen to CDs you just bought. I find that, lately, there ends up being about a week between the time I purchase a CD and I actually listen to it because of the effort required to get it onto the empeg. That effort is not really that much, but I'm lazy.
Posted by: biffstephens

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 14:31

Hey guys,

I got to this thread through Google, go figure. I have one of these units. I got it on ebay. It is pretty cool. I like it so far. BUT (there is always a but huh?) Apparently I bought a "preview" mod that someone was supposed to be previewing. There is no software to transfer the music. I know it is built on Linux. I can access the drive it is full of idx, dbm, and mp3 files. The mp3 files seem to be encoded at 128 but I can hear a tinny sound when there played....anyway that is not important....the files are named 6-0000001b.mp3 like that.....You guys have any idea how I can get music to this thing? I would love to get ahold of the beta software.....

ANY help would be great....

Biff

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 16:36

Wow, the reverse is true for me. I find that lately I listen to a CD before buying it. Also because I'm lazy, go figure.

I managed to listen to the last Charlatans album well before I found it available locally for instance (doesn't help that they don't have a NA record deal).

It's also easier to organize things on the empeg than with physical media. You don't want to see the mess of CDs I have stacked all over the place, not to mention my two large CD cabinets with discs all out of order (that I haven't sorted since moving last year).

Bruno

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 16:51

Most of the stuff I buy I buy on speculation at the record store. They have listening stations for a lot of stuff and good recommendations. Not to mention that I couldn't find most of the stuff I listen to these days on P2P sites anyway, even if I tried really hard.
Posted by: andym

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 17:41

Quote:
You guys have any idea how I can get music to this thing?

Funnily enough, we're all quite proficient at using these things, this being an empeg forum and all.

Go to the banner at the top of the page and select Latest Software download 2.00final both the car software and Emplode (that's what you use to put music on it).

Everything else is in the FAQ read this before asking any more questions, it's all in there.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 17:43

Oh yeah, don't hijack threads, just start a new one....

Just out of interest where did you get this unit from? Did it come with a sled, a box, a remote, any cables? Sounds slightly dodgy to me.....
Posted by: peter

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 17:45

Quote:
Oh yeah, don't hijack threads, just start a new one...

Either I've totally misread Biff's post, or you have. I think he's got an Estone, not an Empeg -- in which case he's on topic and we aren't...

Peter
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 17:47

Oh no, now we've got a Biff and a Bitt on the board.

Is there a Bill to complete the trifecta?

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 17:51

Sorry, I read his post and assumed he mean't an empeg. Oh well, he's in the right thread, although sadly in the wrong forum.....

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 18:40

Quote:
I can access the drive it is full of idx, dbm, and mp3 files. the files are named 6-0000001b.mp3

This sounds like the player uses an internal database to access music quicker much like the empeg we all have here. This also unfortunatly means to load music, you will need some sort of proper software to take your MP3s and generate the .idx and .dbm files, and to name them properly. I don't think anyone else around here has one to share the software.

Probably the best avenue would be to contact these folks about it, since they seem to be the only other reference to the product on the internet. I can't find anything about the actual manufacturer, EStone Digital.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 21:03

Quote:

Probably the best avenue would be to contact these folks about it, since they seem to be the only other reference to the product on the internet. I can't find anything about the actual manufacturer, EStone Digital.

http://www.estone-tech.com/

I surprised how quickly Google found the thread actually.

Any chance of photos Biff? I'd like to see "true" close ups i.e. not marketing photos

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 11/12/2004 21:11

Quote:
http://www.estone-tech.com/

Aha, reasons not to have a Flash only site. Google doesn't see a thing, and searching for the exact company of "EStone Digital" fails.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 12/12/2004 00:50

Can't help with the software but I would love to see some pictures of the unit.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 12/12/2004 01:00

Biff,

According to the website it can work "PC free". i.e. the concept was it could rip it's own CDs. i.e. put the CD in and it has a CDDB database already loaded and it does all the ripping/tagging/naming for you.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 14/12/2004 22:52

I was flipping through a new PC Magazine today and saw a full page, color ad for this.
Posted by: peter

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 10:19

Quote:
I was flipping through a new PC Magazine today and saw a full page, color ad for this.

Advertising an MP3 player? Surely that's cheating...

Peter

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 12:37

I have to admit, when I saw that, I was thinking to myself "That's all it would have taken... one full page ad like this and the empeg would have been a hot product." Dont' waste time advertising to the audio snobs. Get the computer geek squad interested in it. Those are the people that spend $400 on a PC power supply!
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 15:56

This thing looks pretty good, but I agree there's a big lack of info. At the very least, when empeg was small they had actual information () on their site, not some dumb-ass "experience" flash animation that does nothing but show an animated convertible driving though different locales. How stupid are the people running this company? When I saw the "experience" button I thought "great, it's a crappy flash site, but at least I'll get one of those virtual product tours." No dice.

I also have a question about the specs on the purchase page. It says "Capacities: 2GB*, 20GB (CDDB preinstalled)." What does that mean? Specifically, what's the "2GB*"

And Biff, you could try emailing the support address on Estone's website ([email protected]).

Anyway, while nothing is going to match the empeg in terms of quality and software, I agree that if anything could replace my empeg, this wouldn't be bad. I think one of the other important points to note is that it has a built-in amp, which I think was a big turn-off for a lot of geeks. I agree with you Brad, but I still think that the empeg was in a tough position. The car audiophiles didn't get the whole computer aspect, and the computer geeks refused to pay $1500 or more for a car stereo once you factored in the cost of an external amp and the installation.

Anyway, once the product picks up, we'll have to see what people say about it. Biff, what's your opinion on the quality of the device? Does it feel solidly built, or does it seem like cheaper plastic? If I bought something for that price, and the shiny "metal" finish started scraping off the knobs, I'd be pissed.

Lastly, I think there's one thing that's agreed, no product can ever create a following that could replace the empeg boards.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 16:20

Quote:
Lastly, I think there's one thing that's agreed, no product can ever create a following that could replace the empeg boards.

Wh4+ tH3 FUx0R @re j00 +@lkInG 4BoU+? RiOv0lUtiON I5 +he H0+N355.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 18:37

Quote:
I agree with you Brad, but I still think that the empeg was in a tough position. The car audiophiles didn't get the whole computer aspect, and the computer geeks refused to pay $1500 or more for a car stereo once you factored in the cost of an external amp and the installation.

But you have to admit, we were a big hit with the remaining 0.05% of the market!

Rob
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 18:56

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with you Brad, but I still think that the empeg was in a tough position. The car audiophiles didn't get the whole computer aspect, and the computer geeks refused to pay $1500 or more for a car stereo once you factored in the cost of an external amp and the installation.

But you have to admit, we were a big hit with the remaining 0.05% of the market!

Without a doubt! Disposable income is groovy...

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 15/12/2004 20:07

Using the Estone is like reading a Chinese menu written in Mandarin when you only understand German. Damn, what a piece of crap interface. The empeg has its faults, but there's obviously not anyone interested in coming out with something *really* usable.

Bruno
Posted by: Daria

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 16/12/2004 01:23

Quote:
Quote:

Wh4+ tH3 FUx0R @re j00 +@lkInG 4BoU+? RiOv0lUtiON I5 +he H0+N355.

Never, ever do that again.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 17/12/2004 01:58

Quote:
Never, ever do that again.

For real. Google might pick it up and start sending R1o\/olü7i0n traffic to us.

Re: Estone Car MP3 Player Ripper-510 from zMedia - 14/01/2005 21:05

I saw this unit at CES last week. And weak it was. Damn, it's ugly as sin. Destined for failure I believe. Especially with the ipod connection systems getting better all the time. Clarion now has iPod support on their in-car LCD (Macworld this week). The interface looks like garbage (further confirming Japanese companies don't know anything about interface design). But then you have choices from Dension (IceLink) and a new Monster Cable interface product. iPod will become the defacto in-car MP3 standard if it has not already.

Bruno