It's mine. All mine, I tell you.

Posted by: tfabris

It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 14/09/2000 19:13

Even though this page seems to think it's still available, I just got my confirmation notice in the mail. The plates will be ready for me to pick up in 4-6 weeks. Nyah, nyah.

I'd like to thank Loren for this post which spurred me on. I should have thought to do this when I first got my new car. But it was only $41.00 to do it after-the-fact, and it's inexpensive to renew on a yearly basis.

That's the first piece of good news I got today. The second was the sight of Pacific Bell crewmen running fiber-optic cable down to my neighborhood. I pulled over and spoke to them, and yup, DSL will be available to me soon. I told the guy he was my new best friend.

Now, if this upload I'm doing right now will just work, I'll be in seventh heaven.

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 14/09/2000 19:20

Congrats on the invite I'd be careful advertising what's in the car, around my parts it wouldn't be in my car long.

I used to be dyslexic but I'm KO now.

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 14/09/2000 19:39

I'd be careful advertising what's in the car, around my parts it wouldn't be in my car long.

Fortunately, I never leave the Empeg in the car unattended. I always take it with me. Having two stereos stolen is enough for me, I don't intend to make it three.

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 14/09/2000 20:55

PHEW...i was about to get PISSED...lol

I put in my order for "EMP3G" the other day, and if you'd have gotten that...oh man...hahah. It's cool though. =] Congrats!

|| loren.cox

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 14/09/2000 23:28

You're kidding, you deliberately did the E/3 thing, when the regularly-spelled name was already available? Cool. I guess it was sort of serendipity that we were on similar but different wavelengths.

The ones I put down as my "alternate" choices were just silly like EMPEG1 for example. I wish I'd thought of that L33T way of spelling it, but I'm glad I didn't need it.

Did you notice how, on the form, they ask you to explain the meaning of the license plate? I guess that's just in case you wanted to put something vulgar-yet-obscure on the license plate like "SMEGMA" or something.

There's a guy in a nearby town with a light-blue 60's-era Mustang with the license plate "SATAN". I wonder how he got away with that one...

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 15/09/2000 07:27

I guess it was sort of serendipity that we were on similar but different wavelengths.

Do you really talk like that in real life? :)

(O|||||O)

Posted by: loren

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 15/09/2000 08:06

Yeap, i was trying to decide between "empeg" and "emp3g", but i figured the later got in the mp3 part as well as the empeg part...so ... that was that. Actually, i should thank Peter for this post which gave me the idea since i'm just not that clever.

Satan eh? wow...i wonder how he got that one. Maybe they wouldn't care about that, i think it's more sexual connotations and swearing that they wanna catch. I bet they get some clever attempts to hide em..heheh.

|| loren.cox

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 15/09/2000 08:19

Do you really talk like that in real life? :)

I don't believe I will dignify that with a retort at this time.

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 15/09/2000 19:33

hehe he uses even bigger words then that in real life haha :P
j/k tony

i think im going to get my license plate now. haha im not going to post it till im done. :) weeeee (btw are they transferable to other cars ie if i sell my car now can i take my damn plates off it adn put it on my new car?)

Im as confused as a baby in a topless bar...
Posted by: Dignan

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 16/09/2000 09:42

The ones I put down as my "alternate" choices were just silly like EMPEG1 for example. I wish I'd thought of that L33T way of spelling it, but I'm glad I didn't need it.

I'm curious. How does the California liscense plate system work? Are you saying you had to submit choices/requests to someone via email or something? Here in Virginia, we just type in the letters/numbers we want and the page automatically tells us whether the plate is available or not. I'm pretty sure if you tried to type in some kind of vulgarity it would tell you you couldn't choose it.

I too picked out a vanity plate for myself (I think I've mentioned it here before). I think it's a great plate considering it's a van and I play the saxophone:

SAX MCHN

DiGNAN

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 16/09/2000 10:34

I'm curious. How does the California liscense plate system work? Are you saying you had to submit choices/requests to someone via email or something?

No, worse than that. We had to fill out a form and snail-mail it to the DMV. The form has three spaces: First, second, and third choices.

The DMV does have a web site with a license plate search, but you can't order it from there, you can only check availability. And the availability is obviously sketchy since it said my plate was still available even after they sent me a written confirmation that I'd gotten it.

SAX MCHN

Cute. Some of the favorite ones I've seen were:

SO SUE ME (On a local lawyer's car)
NO PEDLS (On a really tiny car, smaller than a Mini)
4 X 4 X 10 (On a Mini Cooper)
FEATURE (On a Bug)

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 16/09/2000 15:23

We had to fill out a form and snail-mail it to the DMV

Oh geez, that's pretty bad. I'm suprised, it being California and all. The Virginia DMV has a fantastic site where you can type in the plates you want and it will show you what it looks like and tell you if it's available. I believe it also gives you alternate choices. You can even select the many different types of VA liscense plates (colleges, veteren's, motorcycle, etc.), and it will show you how many spaces you can use and exactly what it will look like.

I didn't happen to order it over the web, but I could have. It was for a new vehicle so I ordered them when I registered.

DiGNAN
Posted by: peter

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 02:31

FEATURE (On a Bug)

In the UK, of course, it's harder because the pattern of letters and numbers is fixed. The best I've seen recently was

H1 1M TT on, of course, an Audi TT (very nice)

although there was this guy near where my parents live who had about five clapped-out Saabs and the plate 5AAB.

The point of EMP3G isn't that it's 31337 warez-styley, or even to make a pun on MP3 -- it's just that "EMP3G" is a valid UK number (which someone, somewhere, must already have) and "EMPEG" isn't...

Peter

Posted by: schofiel

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 07:00

it's just that "EMP3G" is a valid UK number

I don't think MP is a valid district code for series 1 registration marks...

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
Posted by: Roger

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 07:24

I don't think MP is a valid district code for series 1 registration marks

Where is this information? Presumably it's available on the 'net somewhere.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 07:31

I got the list of Series 2 district marks from my car club in an article; I haven't seen it on the web. DVLA?

Posted by: Roger

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 09:15

Well, I did find this, but it doesn't have any lists anywhere.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 10:42

H1 1M TT on, of course, an Audi TT (very nice)

I am embarassed to admit that I don't get that one.

(But if anyone needs the Bug/Feature thing explained, I have a dope-slap queued up and ready to go...)

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 11:58

ouch! (It must be that english humor your missing) You probably have gotten it by now, but just incase...

H1 1M TT = Hi, I'm TT

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 19/09/2000 14:20

I'll see if I can find something for you, but don't count on it!

Posted by: caederus

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 20/09/2000 11:52

http://www.reg.co.uk/main.plate?include=issuedresults®istration=EMP3G
says that it was never issued, but had it been, it would have been by Manchester C.C.

--
http://ro.nu/ Robin O'Leary

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 21/09/2000 02:17

Middlesex.

This is a truly good link. Thank you!

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 04/10/2000 09:16

Bad news arrived in the mail yesterday...despite the DMV already sending me an approval letter and reciept for cashing my check... i can't have EMP3G. The note said that it too closely resembles another configuration, and that it might impede law enforcement from correctly identifying my car. I can only assume they are saying its to close to EMPEG...and if that's the case their logic is ridiculous. That's like saying anywhere there's an E in a license plate, you can't have a 3 in it's place cause cops can't tell the difference? Whatever.. a big bummer. Sooo.. i guess it's back to the drawing board. EMP3G II maybe? It also amused me that they are going to be sending me a refund check in 4-6 weeks! HA! They cashed it before it was given the go ahead. Bureaucracy. =p

|| loren.cox
Posted by: EngelenH

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 04/10/2000 09:40

If only my car wasn't a company car ... I could have had EMPEG2 here in Belgium.

Life has it's ups and downs, now back to the ups, red faceplate on the way yeehaw.

Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 04/10/2000 10:14

Aw, man. That totally sucks. I guess it's my plate that they're saying it's too much alike. Now I feel bad.

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 04/10/2000 10:37

How about 6ULDV8

And no, that is not mine. It is an 'illegal' one.

I am a number, BUT I am almost a free man! And that number is 15562 which now equals an 18Gb Green!

Re: It's mine. All mine, I tell you. - 04/10/2000 10:40

I guess it's my plate that they're saying it's too much alike. Now I feel bad.

YOU SHOULD! haha. Nah, no worries, i was slow on the draw. The question is whether or not they would have allowed yours if i'd gotten mine in first...hrmm. I'm gonna call em up and see about EMP3G II. I'd be happy with that, 'cause that would throw in the mark II aspect as well.

|| loren.cox