Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale

Posted by: FireFox31

Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 02:01

After a year of work, colored translucent lit buttons are finally available.

Presenting: Greenlights Lit Buttons

Greenlights is my new company for selling empeg accessories and for helping other people bring their product ideas to reality. Please be sure to read the FAQ for important lit button usage information.

Please note, orders outside the USA must add the $2.50 shipping item at the top of the products page (if there's a better way to handle separate domestic and international shipping rates, please let me know). Greenlights is ready to accept orders of any size. Orders will begin to ship Tuesday morning. Please contact me with any questions, ideas, suggestions, complaints, etc that you may have.

Thank you THANK YOU for all of your support and patience during this project. I know some of you have waited two and a half years for these buttons. I've dreamed of posting this picture since day one.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 03:20

That's a beautiful picture all right. Thanks for all your hard work, I can't wait till I can afford a full set.

Matthew
Posted by: Glen_L

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 03:33

Wow, and here I thought you'd just put up a rudimentary site with a PayPal address. Very nicely done; it seems the curse is broken!
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 06:21

Awesome!

Ordered! Am I the first?

Really appreciate the effort. I hope the reds or amber match the BMW nicely.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 08:18

Let me just comment that these buttons are extremely well done! They are very high quality / very professional.

People who have, or have seen, Brian's cast buttons will notice that these are slightly more translucent and also have a finer / smoother finish due to the method of manufacture and materials used. So even if you have a set of the hand cast buttons, you should still pick up a set of these as well.

And let's not forget the clear and the non-translucent black buttons!!! I am curious to see or read about any neat hacks that can be accomplished with these.

Congratulations again on a great job! And thanks!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 13:20

Congratulations! Updating the page links and the FAQ now.

Love the "G" logo on the home page.

How much blood did you end up having to spill into the box?

One concern, though: Don't earthlink home pages have a bandwidth/data cap? Keep an eye on that. Not that I'm worried you'll get slashdotted or anything.
Posted by: Taym

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 13:37

Full set + crystal + stealth sets ordered!

Thank you very much FireFox31! This is a great job you did! I' can't wait to recieve them all!

Edit:
And, I joined the mailing list I'd love the metal ones!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 13:58

Hijack v432: buttonled_dim=n

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 14:04

And... Congratulations for the excellent FAQ! Firefox, you really did a great job, and deserve this to be said here!
Posted by: Mataglap

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 14:15

Thanks much, FireFox! Looks good, and I can't wait for 'em to show up.

--Nathan
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 14:28

What, you couldn't find a song title with Amber in it?

Way to go man! Once I find the status of my memory board (what happened to those things?) I'll order up a few sets of these.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 14:29

... although my name's not Bamber.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 14:46

Quote:
What, you couldn't find a song title with Amber in it?

311 - From Chaos - Amber

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 22:54

Thanks for all of your kind words. Now I'll be packing these things all night for shipment tomorrow.

Tony: Wow, you don't even want to know how much blood I spilled. I'm not sure I'll get it back, but I'll sure try. Luckily the website is tiny, so it shouldn't hit the limit.

taym: Metal buttons will so happen. They shouldn't be so hard... famous last words. Oh, and I owe you credit for using your "taym white" Filener gell; the lightest pink which makes the VFD look pure white.

Matk: Woah, variable dimmer between night and day? Awesome, thanks.

Brad: Couldn't find a song with "amber", but the observant mainstream club dance track fan will note that I found an artist of that name.

Wow, time to stop waiting on hold with PayPal phone support who never answers and start packing. Thanks again.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 20/06/2005 23:56

Quote:
"taym white" Filener gell; the lightest pink which makes the VFD look pure white.

I'm honored you named that white after me
So, you're using it? Wow! I'm happy I could be of some little help, for one time, even for just such a small thing! I feel I am taking so much from the good old empeg bbs and you all guys, and never returning anything, so... at least enjoy your taym white!
Posted by: loren

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 21/06/2005 05:53

CONGRATS! These look sweeet. I'm interested in a set of black but I'd like to know what they look like with a lighting kit in the dark. Can the light be seen around the edges of the buttons and knob at all?

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 21/06/2005 12:10

They should look the same as the factory buttons in that regard (in a dark room). Perhaps someone will give that a try and report back, while waiting for the black to arrive.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 21/06/2005 12:34

There is very little (almost zero) light leakage around the directional buttons. There is a backglow from around the knob, where the fascia is open for the IR sensor, but that is about it.
Posted by: peakmop

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 21/06/2005 13:21

All I can say - WOW!
I haven't visited the forum for a while and just this morning I'v got an e-mail from Eutronix about Greenlights' translucent button availability.
A full order has already been placed

Thanks so much FireFox!

Now only if there were translucent lit handles...

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 21/06/2005 14:28

Quote:
Can the light be seen around the edges of the buttons and knob at all?

Next meet, have me show you my solution for that.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 22/06/2005 15:53

To answer a few people from a few threads that I didn't want to hijack:

Yes, I will be bringing buttons to Amersfoort for the meet. They will be sold at a slight discount from the web price. And, you'll save shipping cost, currency conversion cost, and won't have to wait for the package to arrive. (and it'll be less work for me because, phew, I was up till 3:30am last night packing orders... though I only started at 11pm).

I was hoping to create some special custom modified buttons especially for the meet, but I have to reclaim my Dremel tool. We'll see...
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 23/06/2005 22:13

I couldn't resist, I had to superset.
Thanks
Posted by: CHiP

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 24/06/2005 13:25

thank you very much! I am one of many who have waited 2.5 years. I have a few friends not from the bbs who are interested. I will be ordering at LEAST 1 complete set of all colors in the next few weeks. This is a HUGE improvement to the empeg, i'm so glad someone finally did it.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 24/06/2005 14:24

Quote:
Let me just comment that these buttons are extremely well done! They are very high quality

Smooth is the word that comes to mind. Brian's originals were somewhat textured, and diffused the light from the LEDs a bit more (a good thing).

These new ones have a polished smooth appearance and texture. I find the LED light doesn't spread out (diffuse) as much as with the earlier buttons, but the look is very nice and appealing to the eye.

If I really cared about illuminating more of the button surface, then perhaps a small blob of expoxy cement inside the button would do the trick? Maybe I'll experiment with wax first (easier to remove again).

Cheers

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 24/06/2005 22:57

Quote:
Smooth is the word that comes to mind.

That's exactly right. I'm jealous of how Brian's buttons perfectly duplicated the texture of the originals.

Texture would be cool, but I've fallen in love with how the parts look now. I will definitely experiment with sanding, grinding, and using a Dremel tool to increase the light diffusion. Maybe adding diffusion material to the hollow cores, but I've always felt that traps the light, like on Brian's. Instead, I wanted light to fill the hollow core and light up the thin outside face. Many things to try, let's see if we find one that works!

The texture story, as a random bit of information, if anyone's interested:

The company that produced the Greenlights Lit Buttons call the texture "EDM finish". That is, it has no extra finish beyond how they etched out the steel mold with the EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining). A misunderstanding early on led me to believe that the molding company could add a "light glass bead" texture to the parts. Six months later, I found that I was wrong all along.

At the last minute before production, I was given the option to have the precious steel molds sent to a texture shop to have a frosted texture applied, pretty much my only choice thanks to the small part size. The parts would still be smooth but they may have had better light diffusion.

Texturizing would have cost $1320 extra and an extra week or two to complete. After reviewing the pre-production clear buttons and posting their pictures to the BBS, I decided against the texture. Texturizing would either look really cool or reasonably irreversibly look worse. And since I'd already spent extra time and money in other areas (MKII knob, custom coloration, etc), I couldn't swing the additional cost. Instead, I fell in love with the pre-production samples that I had, and I think you all did too!

The motto for this project was, "If you're going to do it, make it perfect." And I tried, monitoring everything to leave nothing to chance. I even tried to find light diffusion professionals who could help optimize parts; with no luck. But in late March, way past my deadline, with the chance to start production immediately if texturizing was skipped, and having had pushed my molder beyond reason; I couldn't give the texture process the scrutiny that I wanted. So, the devil I had, I knew, and stuck with, and am happy with, and I hope it makes everyone happy! The end.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 00:05

Lest anyone become concerned by my previous posting here (definitely NOT the intent), please note the following from that posting:
Quote:
the look is very nice and appealing to the eye.

Cheers!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 01:39

No worries! Mark's observation is very accurate and I agree 100%.
I tried to insert enough smilies to show that my reply and story were informational and not argumentative. All is good.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 01:50

Different topic, Value Added Tax and import duty. I just finished a two work-night search and found everything I didn't want to know about these costs.

It looks like the duty + VAT for these parts will add between $15 (Australia) and $30 (Denmark, Sweeden) per $100 order. 3.7% duty to the EU + 16-25% VAT.

For everyone who placed international orders: I have them filled, but I've been working as hard as possible to see if you need to pay duty and VAT. It looks like I can't avoid it. I will ship them as soon as (or before) I find a cost-saving solution for you.

Are there any legal methods for reducing or eliminating the duty and VAT? Are international customers ok with these costs? I'm sorry that I did not discover this information earlier. I will post it on my site ASAP.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 02:03

Simple to reduce or eliminate the VAT. Perfectly "legal" (in quotes).

These are just simple piece of plastic. Their actual "value" is pennies each. Obviously you've priced them reasonably to make up for the costs of the mould and labour, etc...

But who's to say you have to value them on customs forms for the price you're selling?

Sample customs forms:

"Description: Spare plastic button caps"
"Declared value: $1.00"

Done.

If you're doing a huge batch, maybe value the entire thing a bit more. Like $10.

Hey, when I place my order for 3 sets to Canada, they better be valued at $1.

Bruno
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 07:50

Quote:
I find the LED light doesn't spread out (diffuse) as much as with the earlier buttons

I'm looking forward to receiving my order of buttons. For the smd LEDs around the knob, I'll probably cut a dark gel into a disk to place under the knob. On the buttons, I'm planning to cut the tops of the LEDs. This should help to diffuse the light.

edit: fixed formatting (robricc)

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 11:48

Quote:
"Declared value: $1.00"

I want to do that, but different information I've read suggest attaching copies of the invoice to the outside of the package. Yes, "suggest", not require. I'm still looking to see if it is an absolute requirement.

I guess the saying holds true; "Woe is me for GST" (and VAT, I guess). If my research is correct, Canada wants to add $20 per $100 at worst; if you live in New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. Other areas get only $11 per $100.

I'll work this out right now and ship the first batch of international orders today.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 12:06

"Commercial shipments" are generally required to include copies of the commercial invoice with the shipment.

When shipping by post, it is pretty easy to leave that off, though.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 13:10

Most shipments I get that have an invoice on the outside of the package... That's the copy of the invoice that's got the prices blacked out.

I always thought it was to hide the value of the contents from potential thieves. Never thought it might be to hide the value from the customs people.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 13:14

Oh, and hey, FireFox, I wanted to ask if the name of the web site was inspired by another greenlight project...?
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 13:25

Declaring something like "Samples - no commercial value; value $1 - customs purposes only" is often done. I believe those green stickers I often find on books and CDs shipped from US have a choice like that (don't have any handy).
Posted by: tman

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 13:33

Quote:
Declaring something like "Samples - no commercial value; value $1 - customs purposes only"

Just remember that if the package does get lost then whatever is declared is what the insurance payout is based on.

Saying that, I know of a few very large companies which do that. I've ordered a development kit and the massive box which contained loads of manuals and PCBs was just marked sample. Turned out to be significantly cheaper to buy it from the US and get it shipped over than to buy it in the UK.

Quote:
I often find on books

Never seen that on books. I think books are exempt anyway for the UK.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 13:56

Have you registered a business for the purpose of selling buttons? Will you be declaring the money you make selling them for income tax purposes? Are you charging tax to residents of your state? (you have to be registered to do that anyway).

Then it's not a commercial business and therefore not a commercial sale. No commercial invoice is required.

I hate to see such hobby projects get so complicated because people get wrapped up in beurocratic "process."

Tman, if the package gets lost in the mail you're likely screwed regardless of the amount declared for customs. Canada post and US Post have an automatic $100 coverage on small packets. The customs value is not the same as the insurance value. It's possible to ship something as a sample that costs $1000. It has that value to the originator even though the recipient may not have paid anything for it (and may have to return it). Incidentally, last I recall this covers breakage only - if it's lost, it's lost and gone. But I could be wrong on this - I've only ever had to make claims with courier serives.

Bruno
Posted by: MMorrow

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 14:10

The smoke and blue buttons I ordered arrived in my mailbox this morning and I couldn't be happier. Without illumination the smoke buttons have a stealth look which I like better than the originals. Now off it goes to Eutronix to have the shiny bits installed behind. Thank you!
Posted by: genixia

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 16:34

Quote:
Have you registered a business for the purpose of selling buttons? Will you be declaring the money you make selling them for income tax purposes? Are you charging tax to residents of your state? (you have to be registered to do that anyway).

Then it's not a commercial business and therefore not a commercial sale. No commercial invoice is required.

I don't think that this is actually true (in the US anyway). It is perfectly possible and legal to run a business as a sole proprietor without registering. You'd still be doing commercial business though. The major difference between do this and registering a business is that your personal liability to business-related debt is unlimited. The purpose of registering a business is to create an entity separate from yourself that can carry its own bank balance and thus insulate you from debt. It also allows you to share ownership of a company. Obviously there are many other differences, including in how they are taxed, but a sole proprietorship is still a commercial business.

Quote:

I hate to see such hobby projects get so complicated because people get wrapped up in beurocratic "process."

Tman, if the package gets lost in the mail you're likely screwed regardless of the amount declared for customs. Canada post and US Post have an automatic $100 coverage on small packets. The customs value is not the same as the insurance value. It's possible to ship something as a sample that costs $1000. It has that value to the originator even though the recipient may not have paid anything for it (and may have to return it). Incidentally, last I recall this covers breakage only - if it's lost, it's lost and gone. But I could be wrong on this - I've only ever had to make claims with courier serives.

Bruno

I agree with the rest of what you said, 100%!
Posted by: andym

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 17:10

Certainly pricing them at bugger all in the customs declaration should do the trick. I can't remember exactly what Loren put on the dock that I bought off him but it was along the lines of either a gift or item valued at $5. To the naked eye it's four or five bits of wood glued together. Never paid a penny in VAT or import duties.

Unlike my first empeg which cost me over £100 in duty. The guy who sold me it valued it at it's cash value. In the end I got him to write to customs and say his mum put the wrong value on the box and it was really only worth £50. At which point they refunded the difference.
Posted by: Foz

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 25/06/2005 23:05

No worries, I got exactly that from both of your messages.

And might I add that I'm EXTREMELY pleased (and excited) that the curse is broken and am looking forward to my two sets

Thanks very much for the hard work you've done on this, and I hope you make a tidy profit off them.

-- Gary F.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 26/06/2005 20:01

Bruno: Yes, I've done all the beurocratic steps required to make this business legitimate, on the smallest scale possible. So, I can't declare the internationally shipped parts as "gift" or "samples", but I will declare them at "a price above their manufactured unit cost, inflated to yeild a profit". I'll monitor how well this works.

Tony: No, the inspiration for the Greenlights name came from many places and will be explained in the Greenlights Company FAQ, once I write it. I have to hope not to be sued by Project Greenlights (and "Greenlights for non-profit success" and the US EPA's Greenlights thing). According to naming regulations that I read, similar names can exist if their types of businesses are different.

I'm off to finish packing orders. All orders placed up to now will have shipped on or before Monday morning 6/27/05. Sorry for the delays.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 01:23

I guess you can't brew any beer then...

Posted by: Narkotic

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 01:28

Received the ambers.. finally! buttons! thanks alot man..

Just had a minor problem w/ the right arrow button. When I had the allen facia screws tightened just a tad bit on the left side, that button would stick. I had to shave some of the lip plastic on the bottom and left side of the button and it works good now.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 01:34

FAQ re: sticking right and left (and top) buttons.

Making sure there is no tiny tab at the tip of the button is a start, though I carefully shave the tip of every left and right button before I send them.

I've found loosening the top left fascia screw 1/2 turn helps the best. Shaving the fascia may also help, but ultimately, it's the fascia binding with the button, not with the fascia.

And to think, if the molders had "packed out" the parts that extra bit to make the bottom button look perfect, they would be even a tighter fit. We struck a good, microscopic compromise between size and material shrinkage dimples.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 05:13

I ordered a blue set maybe I will get lights someday .

The question I have is are the lights on all the time or can they be controlled by the headlight sense wire ?

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 05:20

Quote:
The question I have is are the lights on all the time or can they be controlled by the headlight sense wire ?

Mark just released a version of hijack recently that lets you select the button brightness for both lights on and lights off. So yes you could have it so they only come on with your headlights or just have them dimmer when you turn your headlights on.

Before that, it apparently dimmed them by a fixed ammount. See here which Mark actually linked to earlier in this thread.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 13:23

You can control three brightness settings for the button/knob leds:

1: Hijack menu allows setting the "on" brightness, including completely off.

2. Hijack by default will dim halfway from "on" if you turn on the headlamps, but one can override this with an exact value (including off) in config.ini.

3. Another Hijack config.ini option sets what happens when the player is turned off. By default the buttons stay dimly lit.
Posted by: JrFaust

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 14:59

I got and have installed my Blue Buttons - WOOT!!!
But I haven't got any pics yet as I just got back from Devils Lake, ND (oh the lake not the town). The buttons look great and I noticed the texture difference but it didn't matter at all. Now for the issue of the LEDs still dimly on when the Empeg is off is that the "buttonled_dim=n" command, mlord?

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 15:17

No, that would be the "buttonled_off=n" option.

The "buttonled_dim=n" is for when the headlights are on.

Cheers

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 21:25

I sometimes wonder if that code should be reworked - it has always seemed a little odd to me that we set the brightness when the lights are off (when we don't need to match any existing dash illumination levels) and then arbitrarily cut the illumination when the lights are on (when most people would probably want to match their dash levels).

It makes more sense to me to be easily able to set the lights-on button illumination level, and to have the lights-off setting relegated to config.ini.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 21:56

My home-docked empeg doesn't have a "headlights" setting.

That's why it is the way it is.

Cheers

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 23:11

Ah. So that's where that comes from.

Ideally we'd have enough flash to store two settings independantly. But I don't think that we could justify doing that given the limited number of bits free. I wonder if it's worth allocating 1 bit to an invert-the-headlight-sense function. Or maybe a config.ini setting to achieve the same thing.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 23:21

I think we could burn the bits if we wanted to. But oddly enough, I believe doing it (similar to how the Empeg dimmer function works) would actually confuse people..

??

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 27/06/2005 23:43

It's easy to deal with that - expose both settings in the hijack UI.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 28/06/2005 13:30

My 2p:

The hijack feature as it existed for many moons (button lights were bright during the day, hijack dimmed them a fixed amount when I turned my headlights on), was absolutely perfect for me.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 28/06/2005 17:30

I got my black buttons in. They look pretty good. The only problems are that the black is a slightly different "shade" of black and you can just barely see the tool marks from the mould (although probably not if they're more than two inches from your face). Pretty slick.

They still look weird to me, probably from having lived with the gray ones for six years, but I think they're pretty cool.

Oh, I did have a very minor problem with what looked like the remnants of a sprue on the top button. It wanted to catch the lens when I pushed the button, so I had to pare it off myself. Not bad at all, but folks might want to check that before they screw everything back down.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 28/06/2005 18:14

Quote:
black is a slightly different "shade" of black

In the sunlight, my handle and my fascia are two different shades of black, so...
Posted by: Robotic

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 28/06/2005 18:50

Quote:
I got my black buttons in. They look pretty good.

Awesome! That looks so nice!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 28/06/2005 23:19

Glad you like them (and glad you got them; the shipping label printed slightly wrong).
Quote:
emnants of a sprue on the top button

For everyone who hasn't seen this yet, those are the "tabs" I keep talking about on the left and right button tips. I'll try to shave the tab off the top button like I do for the left and right before shipping them. They exist on the knobs too, but I haven't seen a problem with them yet.
Posted by: thrasher

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 29/06/2005 01:23

WOW , Thanks so much for making this happen. Just orderd a full set.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 29/06/2005 22:13

And I just filled your order.

Just to reitterate what I mentioned on the site, orders placed between Saturday 7/2/05 and Sunday 7/17/05 will not ship until the morning of Tuesday 7/19/05, hopefully! Orders placed during that third week of July will likely be delayed as I ship everything from the previous two weeks. (I won't make the mistake of staying up till 2:00am every night for a week filling orders like I did last week because now I'm sick, just in time for vacation, yea!)

So, placing an order tomorrow (Thursday) or the next day (Friday) will get you the quickest shipping during the next few weeks.
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 01:13

I received my 5+ button super sets, thank you. They do look super
Posted by: srhodes

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 15:25

Got my superset today and they look GREAT!! Thanks for all your hard work in getting them made. Can't decide what colours to use but who cares - one for each day of the week.

Now - if only I had the lights working which I've had for almost 2 years now and not got around to doing anything with yet. Anybody in the UK currently fitting them?
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 16:40

Me, after the empeg meet.

[email protected]

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 16:50

Quote:
Can't decide what colours to use but who cares - one for each day of the week.

Five colors, five buttons.
Coincidence? Roy G Biv is knocking on your door!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 18:42

Quote:
Quote:
Can't decide what colours to use but who cares - one for each day of the week.

Five colors, five buttons.
Coincidence? Roy G Biv is knocking on your door!

Hah.. reminds me of this one:

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case.
Coincidence? I don't think so!"

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 19:17

Quote:
Hah.. reminds me of this one:

<tips hat>
Posted by: toolman

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 20:47

Quote:
Next meet, have me show you my solution for that.

TFabris; Want to document your solution for button/knob light overflow for us overseas types that can't make it to the meet? I havent got my order yet, but from the pics I've looked at I cant imagine how youd do it without modifying the lens. Care to share?

FireFox; I haven't seen any mention of how well the colors match the original (empeg/rio) replacement lenses, or the darkstorm smoke (and others?) lenses. Anyone care to comment? Firefox you should add this info to your site.

Oh, and I ordered a 5 set anyway - hope the smoke set match my old-skool smoke lens

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 21:56

Quote:
TFabris; Want to document your solution for button/knob light overflow for us overseas types that can't make it to the meet?

Also updated the FAQ with this.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:17

Quote:
FireFox; I haven't seen any mention of how well the colors match the original (empeg/rio) replacement lenses

Quick crappy pictures taken with my treo. Factory blue lense with the anti-reflective coating on the back and Green Lights blue buttons.

This is at max brightness.

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:19

Great CD.

Tony, that's sweet. Filner or FireFox should make and sell those...

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:19

Button brightness 5

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:20

Button brightness 3

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:22

Quote:
Great CD.

I love me that there shuffle play.

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:25

So what do you have to do to get an attachement image to show inline as well?

(Thanks shonky!)

I've got the full set of factory lenses and Greenlights buttons, so I can take a few pictures. Is there one or two button brightness levels that are a good choice?

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 30/06/2005 22:30

Quote:
So what do you have to do to get an attachement image to show inline as well?

You edit the post afterwards and include and [ img ][ /img ] link (without the spaces of course. Like this...

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 01/07/2005 00:00

Quote:
how well the colors match the original (empeg/rio) replacement lenses

<edit>Mataglap makes a good point. The photos on the website are of the original factory anti-reflective blue lens, since this color is currently not sold by Filener. People with the Filener rainbow gell kit could probably create this color with one or two gells, though.</edit>

Thanks for the reminder. The only Darkstorm lenses I have are dark green and fluorescent green, so I can only help that much. I can photograph the buttons with the factory lenses and post them in the Gallery. I should also post my night pics and the stealth-mode set at night regarding light leakage.

For now, you can check this post where I showed the factory lenses against the color swatches. And, for comparison, this post where I showed the Filener lenses against the same color swatches. The colors, brightness, and contrast in the photos are unmodified (probably because the nice white from the knob LEDs gave the camera a good white balance).

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 01/07/2005 00:55

Check PM.
Posted by: rob

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 01/07/2005 06:03

I received a set of each colour (thanks!) and can confirm that the buttons are very well manufactured. I know what a pain in the arse injection moulding can be (since I co-ordinated the original Mk.2 buttons and fascia) and working in transparent plastic makes every detail even more critical. Great job!

Rob

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 01/07/2005 06:26

Quote:
Me, after the empeg meet.

[email protected]

Cool - I e-mailed you last week about some repairs but then saw your posts about not being available until late August so thought I'd try a different route to at least getting the buttons sorted out. I'll await your repsonse. I don't think I used the above e-mail adddress so I'll check when I get home.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 01/07/2005 14:57

I mailed the old address for support. I take it these will be added into the queue for the new support?

And on a separate note - looking at the picture at the top of this thread again gave me a flashback to Lenny Henry impersonating David Bellamy - look at all those lovely buttons!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 06/07/2005 08:36

Firefox,

I received the super set and... what can I say? They're simply excellent! Thank you!
I am now using the black buttons, so I could finally remove the gray color from my interiors. They are indistinguishable from the rest of the fascia, at least to my eye. I couldn't ask more (except for the metal, chrome buttons, of course ). I am posting a picture soon.

Absolutely recommended! Fantastic Job, Firefox!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 10/07/2005 01:44

Has anyone done and mixing and matching like this?

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 10/07/2005 01:45

Or this?

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 10/07/2005 03:10

I've had my empeg set up with red buttons (Brian's) and a Darkstorm smoke lens since September. Before that I had blue buttons with the smoke lens. Before that I had the blue buttons with a clear lens and (pre-Filener) gel set to match VW Blue, but sunlight readability suffered too much. At some point I intend to put the red buttons together with the blue gels which should match my VW Golf's blue and red dash perfectly. I doubt I'll keep it that way for long though due to the readability issue I just mentioned.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 10/07/2005 13:00

If or when you get a chance, I'd love to see red buttons with smoked lens. Maybe when he gets back in town, the Greenlight website can show images with the lights turned off too...

After getting my memory board, light kit and fan, I'm a bit short on cash. I also only have 1.5gb left on my 160gb player, so I might need to ebay some junk just to afford a new hard drive. Anyway, my point is I may only be able to afford 1 or 2 $22 sets instead of the $88 complete set.
Posted by: jono

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 17/07/2005 12:56

Here is a shot of my Empeg with a filner rainbow gel (slightly purple blue) and blue greenlights buttons in my 2001 Jetta. I have it mounted under the factory HU with a blitzsafe adapter. At some point, I'll swap in the red buttons and see how they look. It seems as readable at the original lens to me, but I havent had the factory lens on for awhile.
Posted by: JrFaust

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 17/07/2005 20:03

Here is a picture of the blue buttons installed.
The player has a light smoke lens and the buttons are at max lumination.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 17/07/2005 20:26

Does anyone have pictures of the button UNlit? I'm curious to see what they'd look like. (Or during the daylight hours if you always have the buttons lit).

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 18/07/2005 00:18

Wow, I have some serious gallery updating to do. The buttons unlit are rather colorful, especially the Amber ones. I will post those pictures, as well as the dark pictures to the Gallery as soon as I can. I have some orders to fill from the two weeks while I was away. I'll get them out Tuesday morning. Then, photos!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 18/07/2005 20:02

Quote:
Does anyone have pictures of the button UNlit? I'm curious to see what they'd look like. (Or during the daylight hours if you always have the buttons lit).

Here's the crystal buttons on an unlit player.

Please excuse the crappy cellphone camera

--Nathan

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 24/07/2005 20:26

Smoke buttons + Crystal "Top Button" + Filner Custom Smoked Lens (has SUBARU engraved on it):

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 24/07/2005 23:14

Cool pics. I'm assuming the top empeg is showing the rare, hard-to-find "grey button set".

About the crystal top button: Did you find the smoke top button was too dark? For some reason, every smoke top button I've checked is a little darker (more purple?) than the rest of the set.

However, they don't classify as "dark smoke" which is a quite different (and slowly forthcoming).

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 24/07/2005 23:23

I never tried the smoke top button. I just wanted some contrast.

I can't test my lights either until my empeg is fixed.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 26/07/2005 15:04

Ahh!
In my hands! Wonderful, colorful buttons! Great job. Thank you so much!
Also, thanks for 'importing' the handle springs!
Next stop: light kits!
!!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 04/08/2005 12:43

Here it is, with black buttons and Chrome knob on the right. I think it matches the rest of the black quite well.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 04/08/2005 16:32

Could you add to your FAQ some information about what HiJack settings you need? The buttons light up in my ML Dock but not my car. I assume I just need to play with the config.ini or do a Hijack setting while in DC mode, but maybe others will have similar questions.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 05/08/2005 05:25

I think you will just need to go into hijack when the empeg is in the car and select the button brightness from the menu. I'm fairly certain it then just remembers the two settings - AC and DC.

I think that is what I did - trying to remember - and of course there is now the extra hijack option to change the dimmer behaviour.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 05/08/2005 09:06

I didn't even need to go to the car. I just forced DC mode via Hijack, rebooted, changed the brightness level and then rebooted to AC mode again. Sweet!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/08/2005 15:20

Just lit Cris' player, came across the same problem when trying it in his car for the first time.

As an aside, I've now got time to do light kits for people in the UK. Managed to do Cris' in a little over two hours. Anyone who's interested PM me. Same goes for tuners too.
Posted by: Cris

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 08/08/2005 06:21

And what a top job!!!

There is no way that I could have done the Surface Mouth soldering that I saw !!! Works a treat, looks great. Thanks Andy !!!

Also thanks to Brian for the kit itself and Firefox for the buttons, great job.

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: sein

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 08/08/2005 14:39

Can't wait for my black buttons!

Also just wanted to mention that my tuner AndyM kindly put together is a masterpiece. There is a little space in the bottom of my glovebox where it is very happy
Posted by: MRB

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 09/08/2005 13:31

Andy has just injected some further life into the empeg by fitting the light kit - very quick turnaround and an absolute pleasure to deal with - give him a shout!!
The buttons look so cool now - thanks Firefox, now just need to receive the memory upgrade!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 14/08/2005 17:35

To answer all of your color and lighting questions, I have updated the gallery at the Greenlights website. Now it displays the seven stock colors in a grid showing them lit in the dark, lit in the daylight, and unlit in (somewhat strong) daylight. If you'd like to see any more photos, please let me know.

You can click on any photo to see a high resolution image in a new window. You can leave that new window open since clicking multiple pictures will reuse that window (instead of opening tons of windows).

Stay tuned because I have some more photos to post and some fun ideas still to photograph. New photos include "matchups" of diffrent colors and a preview of the rare "dark sets" which received too much dye during the manufacturing process.

The usual notes: The "dark, in-dash" green was hue-shifted in Photoshop because my camera made it look terribly blue-ish. No, the "dark, in-dash" crystal isn't out of focus; its using the anti-reflective clear lens.

loren: To see the bleed around the Stealth-Mode Set in the dark, view the image and turn your monitor brightness all the way up. You should see a tiny illumination of the IR board, but no bleed from the directional buttons. There's more excess glow from the VFD (smoke lens, in the picture).

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 14/08/2005 18:38

Lemme guess. The process of taking those photos and getting them to all look right was a lot more work than you thought it would be.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 14/08/2005 18:46

I got my stealth buttons yesterday, and they are totally awesome. The Empeg really does disappear into the black dash of my car. Looks very mysterious!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 14/08/2005 21:16

Oh no, I knew just how much work it would be based on experience from prvious "photo shoots" over the last nine months. That's exactly why it took me two months to post those 14 extra photos. The right time of day with minimal cloud cover was needed for the unlit photos (taken outside in natural sun). And enough time at night between dinner and sleep was needed to sit in my car to take the lit photos.

Now, to get the Dremel tool, some sand paper, and some paint so I can make more things to photograph. But first, I have a simple fun idea to photograph...
Posted by: Mach

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 31/08/2005 17:42

I found that a knob off my original Mustang radio will just fit over a Greenlight kob if the center shaft is ground down and a little super glue applied.

Voila...side lit knob.

Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 31/08/2005 18:48

Nice. I'm assuming that you'll be using the rare chrome fascia when you get it installed?
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 03/09/2005 19:43

Not Firefox buttons, but I was quite chuffed by how this pic turned out:

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 05/09/2005 16:26

Whoa.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 05/09/2005 18:19

Very nice! I like the mix of orange and cyan.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 05/09/2005 18:44

I was hoping to use it with Webroach's fascias when they're available (chromed of course ). This one is the knob that I have for the Newface. It's another Mustang knob with a ring of end glow fiber.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 06/09/2005 00:17

Quote:
another Mustang knob with a ring of end glow fiber.

Ahhh..... That's out of this world.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 06/09/2005 19:37

Ah, so ummm, errrr, ahhh, retrofuturistic!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 06/09/2005 22:53

Made possible by Greenlights Crystal Buttons

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 06/09/2005 23:07

Dang, I was trying for more nouveau classique.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 06/09/2005 23:16

Quote:
Made possible by Greenlights Crystal Buttons

Who else saw a pair of F-18 engines at full afterburner when that photo first hit their retinas?

Way cool.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 01:44

Quote:
Who else saw a pair of F-18 engines at full afterburner when that photo first hit their retinas?

Way cool.

<raises hand>
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 01:48

Oh I love that knob! how can I make one???

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 06:22

Oh my! Those are fantastic!
Posted by: speedy67

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 09:01

Hey Alvin, you're definately the ultra-hyper-empeg-customizer.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 10:20

Quote:

Way cool.

I was thinking more starship approaching lightspeed.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 20:15

Thanks guys, I'm having some fun with it.

SonicSnoop...I updated the thread from last year's Amersfoort discussion. Link Let me know if you have questions. Other colors are available at www.delviesplastics.com

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 07/09/2005 22:51

Holy holy cow. The amount of shinyness on your empeg is just about overwhelming. Good work.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 08/09/2005 06:27

That one you have in the thread you linked is that the last knob where they were talking how it looks like a F-18 engine? Cause thats the one I really want!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 08/09/2005 06:43

That's the one. You should know that I dremeled a fascia to make that knob fit. You could alway dremel the base of the donor knob though.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 01:50

I recently received an e-mail asking if I was still making buttons. An appropriate reply is:

They are already made, waiting to brighten up your player. The "Buttons" link in the BBS header takes you to Greenlights, the lit buttons site. If you have any questions, just ask.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 06:48

Who cares?

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 14:25

Quote:
Whoa. How many buttons is in that box?

AAAAA! My eyes! My eyes!
Bitt! Help!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 15:36

Bite me.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 16:48

/me gingerly takes a nibble

hmm...not especially tasty today.

/me goes and buys buttons instead.

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 17:37

Up until you got these buttons made I dont think any Empeg has been so lucky as to lay in that many translucent buttons

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 20:09

I know it was also a big investment. I hope that you are not getting stuck with them, after all you have done to make this happen!!!

Re: Buttons - Lit buttons finally available for sale - 13/10/2005 23:45

I will always be stuck with some (unless I pull an Atari ET and go bury them in the desert). I more wanted to simultaneously answer a question, create a picture that randomly came to mind, bump the thread, and procrastinate from doing real work.

And there are probably under 500 buttons in the box.