Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent!

Posted by: rob

Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 15:11

Rob is a little concerned that we haven't had as many bookings as expected, given the deadline tomorrow for the hotel. So, please stop being indecisive, make the correct decision (to come to the meet!) and get your bookings in NOW!

It's far from certain whether there will be another Amersfoort meet next year, and you certainly wouldn't want to miss out! Would you? Well? No of course not! This is a rare opportunity to get pissed with a whole bunch of empeg v1.0 types (Hugo, Patrick, Mike, Roger and even me!), play with some big boys toys, find out what everyone is up to in this post empeg era, and eat a lot of hardcore dutch cuisine.

click here and come to Amersfoort on July 9th - you know you want to!

Rob
Posted by: robricc

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 15:23

Since we should have our bookings in by tomorrow, it might be comforting if those of us that already submitted our info could get a confirmation. I, for one, haven't received a confirmation.

Maybe we could get a list of who's going?
Posted by: rob

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 15:34

Rob has your booking. We'll try to get some confirmations out tomorrow.

Rob
Posted by: andy

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 16:42

Eryl and I are booked, but don't let that put anyone off
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 17:50

I am so sad that I cannot make it this year. Too many legal hassles with my father's estate and an asshole cousin that thinks he can horn in on the estate's holdings mean that I have basically no money. Of course, that's not really so much different than usual, only as far as who it is taking my money and my desire to let go of it.
Posted by: julf

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 18:05

I'll be there, and Elaine will probably be there on Sat evening, depending on how jetlagged she is - she is arriving from NJ on Sat morning.
Posted by: andym

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 21/06/2005 20:47

SteveH and I will be there, hoping to repeat the success we had in the 2003 raffle....
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 22/06/2005 00:19

[AOL?] I'll be there too, though now I'm wondering if my order went through. [/AOL]
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 22/06/2005 02:25

I'll be there, too.

Stig
Posted by: frog51

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 22/06/2005 14:08

Ditto - and are you taking any buttons with you for sale in Amersfoort? Just a thought
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 22/06/2005 15:44

The hotel manager has imformed me that the hotel is (outside of the reservations made for our group) almost full.

I have to give him the booking list tomorrow morning (Thurs 23 June). If we have less than the number of rooms I reserved, then he will release the surplus. If you aren't on that list, then in all honesty it's looking as if you then try a late booking, you can forget getting a hotel room. There are few alternatives in Amersfoort - not for nothing is the event held here - so if you need a room, you need to book it now.

Please don't wait any longer folks: I have deliberately held this open longer than I should have done to give a little extra time to the ones who couldn't quite decide. Anyone you know from the last events who you have not seen here for a while, get PM'ing to let them know the board is up to get a booking done.

See you there!

PS. I have just received the main raffle prize - tee hee
PPS. Forget all the rumours you are hearing, by the way
Posted by: Schido

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 05:12

I have booked too, but is there a list somewhere where we can check if you received the bookings?

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 09:18

If you received the acknowledgement page when you pressed Submit, then the booking was sent to me. I*will be following up with an email to confirm with an indication on prices and a restaurant menu. This is currently what's holding things up here. Be patient!
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 13:08

Steph an I won't be able to make it this year. Too much other stuff going on right now. Can't be helped, but it still sucks!

That said, I hope everybody will have a terrific time at the meet! If it'll be even only half the fun we had the last two years, it'll be more than worth it!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 13:13

Quote:
Steph an I won't be able to make it this year

I won't be there this year, and regardless I'll certainly miss seeing Steph (and you) again!

Have fun everyone!

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 13:50

Quote:
Quote:
Steph and I won't be able to make it this year

I won't be there this year, and regardless I'll certainly miss seeing Steph (and you) again!

Steph says she feels the same way! (oh, and I do too of course! )
Posted by: pim

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 15:46

Quote:
Steph an I won't be able to make it this year.

Too bad! I was looking forward to compare our GT's and share installation notes.

Give my regards to Stephanie!

Pim

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 15:50

Quote:
Quote:
Steph an I won't be able to make it this year.

Too bad! I was looking forward to compare our GT's and share installation notes.

Yeah, me too. Oh well, it's one of those things...
How is your GT doing BTW ? (I plan on doing this to mine!)

Quote:

Give my regards to Stephanie!

I will !

Cheers!

Re: comparing GT's - 23/06/2005 16:11

Quote:
How is your GT doing BTW ?

What aspect do you mean? Its audio qualities? See this post

Its driving qualities? Very well indeed. But it's really hard to unleash it in this country. Already have my first flash photo taken ...

Quote:
(I plan on doing this to mine!)

Your diesel engine will profit a lot from that. My gasoline engine hardly.

Pim
Posted by: julf

Re: comparing GT's - 23/06/2005 16:21

Quote:
it's really hard to unleash it in this country. Already have my first flash photo taken ...

First?!? I have started regarding those envelopes with "acceptgiro" forms as a routine thing, just like the utility bill.. :-/

Re: comparing GT's - 23/06/2005 17:01

Quote:
Quote:
How is your GT doing BTW ?

What aspect do you mean? Its audio qualities? See this post

Wow! I must have missed that post! So the audio quality was that bad eh? What do you think caused that? (because as you say, the stock soundsystem doesn't sound all that bad!) The Cd-changer input itself? (feel free to aswer this in the other thread to prevent hijacking this one)

Quote:

Its driving qualities? Very well indeed. But it's really hard to unleash it in this country. Already have my first flash photo taken ...

Sorry to hear that! Those things are becoming a real pain here in Belgium as well...

Quote:

Quote:
(I plan on doing this to mine!)

Your diesel engine will profit a lot from that. My gasoline engine hardly.

Very true. I forgot you opted for the gasline engine again... Oh, my memory...

Re: comparing GT's - 23/06/2005 17:03

Quote:
Quote:
it's really hard to unleash it in this country. Already have my first flash photo taken ...

First?!? I have started regarding those envelopes with "acceptgiro" forms as a routine thing, just like the utility bill.. :-/

That would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. The government here considers those speed cameras as a new way of imposing taxes. Bah!

Re: comparing GT's - 23/06/2005 17:04

Anyway, sorry for the thread Hijack everyone. This thread was about Amersfoort, not speed cameras or car installs...

Sorry about that... carry on!
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 18:24

I wish I could go.. but I have to fly to CA to find a place to live.. I start working at Google July 18th..

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 18:27

Whatcha gonna be doin' for the Goog?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 23/06/2005 19:43

Quote:
Whatcha gonna be doin' for the Goog?

I've heard they're expanding their World Domination department.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 26/06/2005 19:43

Quote:
I've heard they're expanding their World Domination department.

Next on the list, eliminate 411 to become THE source for mobile information: http://www.google.com/sms/index.html
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 26/06/2005 22:05

I'll be a Cluster Systems Admin, in the cluster ops group.

Basicaly, I will work in the team that runs all the OS software for their world-wide cluster of servers.

Re: Amersfoort 2005 - Urgent! - 26/06/2005 22:54

Cool. Actually, pretty much any geek job at The Goog is cool.

Cheers!

Re: comparing GT's - 27/06/2005 15:10

So... about Amersfoort.... as we were saying... err, what were we saying?
Posted by: andym

Re: comparing GT's - 27/06/2005 15:33

How are things progressing Rob?

Re: Amersfoort - 28/06/2005 18:54

Hey, at least I changed the subject line (again).

Pim
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: comparing GT's - 28/06/2005 23:16

Quote:

That would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. The government here considers those speed cameras as a new way of imposing taxes. Bah!

Sorry to thread hijack, but you need to start up a counter-attack system. I help out with www.pepipoo.com which is dedicated to fighting speeding tickets, usually by spotting flaws in the paperwork or by arguing the toss in court. However the best flaws are when they get the signage wrong - only this month some crafty guys the forum spotted that the signs in Upper Thames Street were incorrect and they had to refund £335,000 of fines (nearly $1m!), there have been a few more like that over the past few years, and quite possibly some bigger ones still in progress .

Gareth

Re: comparing GT's - 28/06/2005 23:26

Here in the US, most, if not all, of the speed trap cameras are run by companies hired by the governments, and those companies get a portion of the proceeds. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me, but no one cares.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: comparing GT's - 28/06/2005 23:43

I thought speed trap cameras were illigal in the US? I'd heard (and not researched; my fault entirely) that tickets could only be issued by officers actually present at the violation.
Quote:
but no one cares

Or no one knows. Wow, I really wish I had a staff to help me create a website explaining politics and laws in plain language.

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 00:16

They may be illegal in NJ, but they're all over the place here in Raleigh, NC. And notably, not at dangerous intersections, only ones where people frequently try to sneak through a yellow.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 00:36

I have read articles stating that the stop light cameras eliminate people running the red light but cause accidents. People slam on the brakes at the last second so they don't run the red light and get rear ended.

I know if they had those in Minnesota I would be slamming on the brakes when the light turns yellow so I can believe they would cause accidents.

I doubt the cities that use them care though the cameras are to steal more money not for safety.

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 01:27

I know they exist in the US from reading newsgroups a couple years back. I remember someone saying that if you fight a ticket from an automatic camera, you can demand to face your accuser. Since a camera can't give a statement in court, you will be set free. I'm sure that's just someone's assumption (stated as fact) since that seems too easy. I'm sure the human being evaluating the output of the camera and writing your ticket can be called your accuser pretty easily. Whether they would come to court or not is another issue...

I have never noticed a speed camera in use anywhere in the US. Could be there, but I haven't seen it.

The Port Authority of NY/NJ monitors your speed between two or more points if you have an EZ Pass. This information is used to estimate how long it would take you to get to another point and display it on a highway sign. For example, there is such a sign in NJ on I-80 headed toward the George Washington Bridge. It tells you how long to get to the bridge in the expess lane and how long in the local lane. I don't know if your speed info is used to issue tickets, but it certainly could be.
Posted by: frog51

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 09:50

Ahhh - top man! I had to do some serious research at Pepipoo after I got a speeding ticket through which I reckon was pretty unjustified (ie a traffic cop on the road would have seen it for a safe overtaking manoevre, which a camera can't!)

Useful site! One of my usual reads, along with Safespeed.
Posted by: jmwking

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 10:36

Quote:
The Port Authority of NY/NJ monitors your speed between two or more points if you have an EZ Pass. This information is used to estimate how long it would take you to get to another point and display it on a highway sign. For example, there is such a sign in NJ on I-80 headed toward the George Washington Bridge. It tells you how long to get to the bridge in the expess lane and how long in the local lane. I don't know if your speed info is used to issue tickets, but it certainly could be.

My parents tell of traveling the West Virginia Turnpike years ago. It was like the (pre EZ-Pass) NJ Turnpike - you'd get a toll ticket on entering the system, which they'd use to calculate your toll on the way out. But they would also do the math, and if you'd sped, you got a speeding ticket with your toll. Thanks for visiting West Virginia! Y'all come back now, y'hear!

So everyone stopped at the (state owned) travel plaza and donated to the cause there.

Some things never change.

-jk

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 12:27

Quote:
I have never noticed a speed camera in use anywhere in the US. Could be there, but I haven't seen it.

This isn't just anecdotal knowledge on my part. I've seen them go off many times at night. The flash is enough to blind cars coming from the other direction, and the occasional double-flash is enough to set off a seizure.

Re: comparing GT's - 29/06/2005 12:45

I was just stating that I haven't noticed one. Not trying to counter your statement.