Power Thump

Posted by: Big John

Power Thump - 11/01/2000 09:15

Hi,

Any ideas how to eliminate a heafty thump when I turn the ignition off. If I sleep the player before turning the ignition off - all ok, the trouble is, I often forget... It's a pity the power fail detection couldn't normalise the 4V outputs before the amp dies.

----------------------------------
John
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Power Thump - 11/01/2000 10:11

If I sleep the player before turning the ignition off - all ok, the trouble is, I often forget...

Do you think this might be related to your other post about blowing display fuses?

Just kidding. The unit is supposed to be a car stereo replacement, and car stereos will tolerate that behavior, so the Empeg should, too.

Personally, my VW doesn't even have an ignition wire running to the radio- it's an always-on thing. And I never have thumps. You might want to try wiring it that way as an experiment to see if it works for you.

Having had cars with both always-on and ignition-only radios, I can honestly say I prefer the always-on method.

Posted by: dionysus

Re: Power Thump - 11/01/2000 11:11

...This has been discussed in detail under the installation forum.. Place a search for "resistor" on this BBS and you should find your solution..
-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

Re: Power Thump - 11/01/2000 11:58

I'll try adding the resistors.

Cheers,

John

Re: Power Thump - 11/01/2000 12:02

>>If I sleep the player before turning the ignition off - all ok, the trouble >>is, I often forget...

>Do you think this might be related to your other post about blowing display >fuses?

I don't think so :-)

I'll leave the power switched at the moment as I don't want to make the wife keep dragging the unit out'a the car every five minutes...

John