SSD hard drives in empeg?

Posted by: kilbasar

SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/10/2008 01:26

I love my empeg, but although the stereo itself is sturdy as a brick, I cannot say the same for the hard drives I've used with it. If left in the car, they seem to last a year before dying. If I'm good about always taking the empeg with me, they last two. Neither is particularly impressive, but that's what I get for spinning dense magnetic platters at high speeds on bumpy roads. The point is that I've been considering picking up a pair of 32gb solid state drives for my empeg, and was wondering if anyone had gone this route? Any recommended brands? Any settings I should change on the empeg to get the most out of them? I know the empeg is heavily optimized for magnetic media, and keeping the platters spun down as often as possible, which does not matter with SSD.

Here are some of the ones I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820183202
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220341
Posted by: tfabris

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/10/2008 01:43

Yes, I think there is a thread somewhere on this BBS (likely in the "Projects" section) titled something like "CF Empeg".

I don't think you need to go the full route where you buy full-blown "solid-state drives". I think it's enough to get a CF-to-IDE adapter and some CF cards. Much cheaper, I'm guessing.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/10/2008 13:18

It's not much (if any) cheaper to buy a CF card and adapters, but it's certainly more easily upgradable.
Posted by: peter

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/10/2008 13:34

Both of those are SATA. You need PATA ones.

Peter
Posted by: tfabris

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/10/2008 14:25

The most recent thread on this topic is titled "CF Empeg" and I was wrong about which forum it was in. The thread in question is here.
Posted by: kilbasar

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 19/10/2008 18:50

Thanks for the replies! CF cards (plus adapters) seem to be slightly cheaper, but more importantly, they're definitely easier to upgrade once bigger ones come out. Gonna start doing my homework and figure out which models to buy.
Posted by: Rezolution

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 11:13

This product from New Egg listed below is a 2.5" PATA SSD drive. It's $97 (but it's 32Gig). This should be a 1:1 replacement with no modding since it's designed to be a 1:1 repalcement for a laptop IDE drive. If you go this route, you can have 64Gig of solid state memory for under $200.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208445

I haven't seen CF cards above 12 gig for less than $200 a piece.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was the 25M read / 8M write, but I'm not sure if that matters for the EMPEG player.

64G for $200 (and never having to buy another set of hard drives)... I'm sold!
Posted by: Attack

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 14:10

Originally Posted By: Rezolution

I haven't seen CF cards above 12 gig for less than $200 a piece.

Newegg is selling a 32GB CF card for 67.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211244

I just converted a friends dead Karma to use this 32GB CF card.
Posted by: mlord

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 14:51

eBay also has lots of cheap-ish 32GB CF cards. The A-data ones seem to be the best of that lot.

cheers

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 15:21

Wow, I should learn2click the "More" symbol...

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 15:23

Does anyone know what 'speed' card is best (or throughput in MB/sec) for the Empeg MKII?

I see some listed as 133x and some listed as 233x. Does anyone know what speed or throughput you'd hit before it doesn't make any difference?
Posted by: tman

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 15:29

Doesn't matter for the empeg itself. 1x = 150KB/s

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 15:33

So what is the fastest that the empeg needs to read/write from the drive?

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 15:42

Not much. Single digit MB/s would cover it. It only does PIO anyway.
Posted by: peter

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 16:01

Originally Posted By: Rezolution
So what is the fastest that the empeg needs to read/write from the drive?

I don't think I've seen the Empeg read from disk much faster than 6Mbytes/s; as for writing, considering that data can only get on there via USB1 or 10Mbit Ethernet, anything over 1Mbyte/s would be fine. In other words, I think even the feeblest modern SSDs wouldn't be the slow link in the chain.

Peter
Posted by: drakino

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 16:53

Originally Posted By: peter
I don't think I've seen the Empeg read from disk much faster than 6Mbytes/s; as for writing, considering that data can only get on there via USB1 or 10Mbit Ethernet, anything over 1Mbyte/s would be fine. In other words, I think even the feeblest modern SSDs wouldn't be the slow link in the chain.

It's amazing to look back and see exactly how far things have progressed. I do remember being slightly concerned the empeg didn't have 100Mbit when I ordered my Mark 2 unit, but that was only because I had spent the extra money to ensure I had a 100MBit switch on a portion of my home network. And now, a good portion of people can get broadband that would saturate a 10Mbit connection and most modern routers are making the jump from 100Mbit to 1Gbit.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 18:07

So "cheapy cheapy" cards are ok, GREAT!

LoL

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 19:29

I got the cheapest ones I could find and they work great.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 23:29

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
It's not much (if any) cheaper to buy a CF card and adapters, but it's certainly more easily upgradable.

Pardon my ignerance. Why is this so?

More easily upgradeable, that is. I mean other than screws holding the drive in place. Is there anything more that I am missing?
Posted by: Taym

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 23:38

... I am thinking you're missing the adapter from SATA (which all SSD drives are) to PATA (which empeg is). I think it would not fit in the Empeg itself. Maybe something could be done with 1 drive only, however...

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 23:41

Originally Posted By: jimhogan
Originally Posted By: wfaulk

Pardon my ignerance. Why is this so?

More easily upgradeable, that is. I mean other than screws holding the drive in place. Is there anything more that I am missing?

You can buy CF cards everywhere and larger capacity cards keep coming out. Buying a larger SSD isn't quite so easy.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 24/10/2008 23:42

Originally Posted By: taym
... I am thinking you're missing the adapter from SATA (which all SSD drives are) to PATA (which empeg is). I think it would not fit in the Empeg itself. Maybe something could be done with 1 drive only, however...

You can get PATA SSDs.
Posted by: Roger

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 25/10/2008 10:52

Originally Posted By: tman
You can get PATA SSDs.

For how much longer? CF will probably be around for (at least a bit) longer, because it's still used in digital photography.

Posted by: gbeer

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 02:15

Isn't CF the oldest, or maybe the oldest still in use form factor for flash?

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 04:38

Originally Posted By: gbeer
Isn't CF the oldest, or maybe the oldest still in use form factor for flash?

Yeah, but it's not as old as PATA hard disks. My point is that SSDs are more and more likely to be SATA, making future upgrades difficult.

You buy one PATA/CF adapter now for the empeg (which doesn't need upgrading), and then you'll probably still be able to get CF cards for the next few years, when the supply of PATA hard disks (whether rotating or not) has dried up.

Unless there's a PATA to SD adapter that'd work in the empeg...

Posted by: andy

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 06:48

Originally Posted By: Roger

You buy one PATA/CF adapter now for the empeg (which doesn't need upgrading), and then you'll probably still be able to get CF cards for the next few years, when the supply of PATA hard disks (whether rotating or not) has dried up.

Presumably a CF-SD adapter would allow you to use SD in your CF adapted empeg in the future ? Like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JOBO-SD-MMC-Comp...WVA77XCZT8P3HJV

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 07:44

Originally Posted By: Roger

Such a thing exists, but I could only find this one on eBay. I don't know if it would work in the empeg.

Edit: And this one on DealExtreme.
Posted by: Taym

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 14:36

Originally Posted By: tman

You can get PATA SSDs.

I stand corrected. In fact, I had assumed they would be nearly impossible to find, already, but I made a quick search and PATA SSD are actually in the market. I could not find anything bigger than 8GB (at least here in Italy), however.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 16:19

Larger PATA SSDs do exist but the "cheap" ones don't seem to have the correct plug and the ones that do have it, tend to be expensive because they're for industrial use.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 18:04

Quote:
the "cheap" ones don't seem to have the correct plug

What plug do they have, then?

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 26/10/2008 18:09

Originally Posted By: mlord
Quote:
the "cheap" ones don't seem to have the correct plug

What plug do they have, then?

ZIF
Posted by: robricc

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 27/10/2008 15:49

$179 for a 64GB PATA SSD seems pretty reasonable. I think once the price comes down a bit more, I will bite on two of them.

Link
Posted by: 101

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 31/12/2008 20:46

Sorry to dig this up, but I had been thinking about going this route for sometime. Just ordered a 64 GB transcend off of the egg, will post back how it goes.
Posted by: Major_Sarcasm

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 01/01/2009 09:04

See this thread. The 64 GB ones might not be affected, but just a heads up on Transcend SSDs.
Posted by: estocks

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 10/03/2009 21:07

ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

What is the current thinking, do we recommend SSD HDD or CF? My HDD just died frown I'd like to get something with a -10C operating temperature.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 11/03/2009 12:25

I recommend CF, simply because they're cheap and they work.

2.5" PATA SSDs seem trickier to find, but if you can get them for not much money, then they are even better (much faster writing, for tune uploads).

-ml
Posted by: Aragon

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 11/03/2009 20:09

At the price of those 64 GB Transcend SSDs, they're definitely worth a try I'd say. Let us know how you get along!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 21/05/2009 14:12

Originally Posted By: drakino

It's amazing to look back and see exactly how far things have progressed. I do remember being slightly concerned the empeg didn't have 100Mbit when I ordered my Mark 2 unit, but that was only because I had spent the extra money to ensure I had a 100MBit switch on a portion of my home network. And now, a good portion of people can get broadband that would saturate a 10Mbit connection and most modern routers are making the jump from 100Mbit to 1Gbit.

(ramble)

Every time I take out my Atari800 (or 130xe) and play Star Raiders, I'm also impressed with what one could write in 4KB of space to run on a 1.89MHz computer.

laugh

Indeeeeed. My friend and I used to consider how our microwave ovens were 2.485GHz and how obscenely awesome it would be to clock a 6502 at 2.485Ghz!! Zooom!

Yea... hahaha

What's really funny is on OpenCores.org, someone replicated one of the Apple computers (I think a ][+ or maybe a //e) into an FPGA.

Awesome. Atari would be probably be a little/lot harder because of all of it's support chips that handled things that were loaded onto the CPU's of the Apples. (One of the reasons Atari's were so technically superior...)

(/ramble)
Posted by: Bill Walker

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/06/2009 18:09

Anyone tried one of these:

http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=697-63

Also has anyone tried and SDHC to CF adapter in the Empeg?

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/06/2009 18:42

People have certainly used CF-to-IDE adapters in the empeg, myself included. I can't come up with a great reason to use that one in the empeg. Its great feature is that it combines master and slave IDE devices into a single unit, which is awesome for laptops, but the empeg has enough space for both, and that form factor would make it a little awkward to mount.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/06/2009 19:01

So I should probably buy a pair of these then:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CF-to-IDE-44-Pin-Hard-Drive-Adapter-bootable-LAPTOP-K03_W0QQitemZ280334940324QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item414543b8a4&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A30

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 14/06/2009 19:17

Without doing any research, yeah, they should work fine, and they certainly are cheap. Again, though, they'll be slightly awkward to mount, because of the lack of mounting holes. Some double-sided tape should work okay, though.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 17/06/2009 00:32

I have one similar to that. All you need are a couple of spacers.

edit: and to drill a couple holes. I found turning the unit sideways and refolding the cable worked best. This allowed placing the unit so the cf's were removable.

edit2: took a while searching but this post has a pic attached of my dual cf adaptor mounted.

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 17/06/2009 01:21

Cool ;-)
Posted by: Aragon

Re: SSD hard drives in empeg? - 06/08/2009 10:26

Thought this might interest some of you!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/06/photofast-gmonster-ssd-gets-wrestled-open-found-to-contain-comp/