Empeg mk2 -- Still going!!

Posted by: benjammin

Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 29/06/2017 17:55

I was just pushing new music onto the Empeg that's been in my Jeep since 2001 when I bought it.

Between the utils, and all the work from Mr. Lord and HiJack. This unit has been quite the endurance runner.

I haven't exactly looked -- but at the same time, I haven't seen a DIN equivalent anything that really came close. Especially with car companies putting in proprietary systems now.

If I were to buy a new car these days, I'd just use my phone via BT to my Plex server for my listening needs. (I've done this when travelling and using a rental car.)

Kind of a bummer in a way. I love my Empeg. smile (and my Jeep)
Posted by: suomi35

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 17/07/2017 18:48

I echo your sentiments! I've got a mk2 on my desk that still plays music all day (every day).
I love it and cannot imagine using anything else smile

Cheers!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 17/07/2017 20:21

I've been using mine every day up until last Thursday when my car got rear-ended.

If they total the car, I'm thinking of getting a new car with all the touchyscreeny stuff, and so I'll have to work out how to install an Empeg into it as an add-on to the existing system. Luckily I bought one of the remote display extenders a while back, just in case I ever ended up in this boat. Empeg is still the king of music players in my book, and I haven't been satisfied with any other music players so far.
Posted by: ShadowMan

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 02/08/2017 14:30

Nothing compares! We haven't used ours in years now but they are still on display in the rec room and garage. I popped in today to see if there had been any advancements since the empeg left the scene...

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 02/08/2017 17:15

Indeed, nothing compares. I'm really missing the empeg right now, as I'm slowly working out the details of how I'm going to mount it in my new touchscreeny car.

In the meantime I'm putting my music collection on my iPhone and plugging it into Apple CarPlay on my car, but that system is super problematic in several ways, unable to do critical things that the empeg does effortlessly. Can't wait to have the 'peg back.
Posted by: jmwking

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 03/08/2017 21:42

Yeah - I'd love someone (far more capable than I) to port it to ios and android.

-jk
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 10/12/2017 03:52

Wait - Tony, did your Empeg still work?

If so -- there should have been some way to recover it from the car?

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 10/12/2017 07:08

Indeed, it works well.

I'm currently mid-project on giving it a bluetooth interface and remote display in the new car. It's coming along quite well. See the Projects forum for more details. :-)
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Empeg mk2 -- Still going!! - 10/12/2017 17:44

Originally Posted By: jmwking
Yeah - I'd love someone (far more capable than I) to port it to ios and android.

Agreed! Ik would love it if someone would create an Android or iOS app that would emulate whatever magic it is that the Empeg does, with the mp3's that are locally on the smartphone. I would pay good money for such an app! I had high hopes for that Raspberry Pi Empeg project that was on here some time ago, but unfortunately, this project seems to be completely dead...