New Empeg Site!!!

Posted by: pgrzelak

New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 04:00

Oooh!!! I must have just hit it at the right time, but the new empeg site appears to be up (actually has a redirect to a redesign directory). Haven't gone exploring yet, but I am about to...

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)

-=-=-
HTML Coders: Your menu is broken. When in the products page, your menu is looking for HTML relative to the products directory... They are not there... 404...
-=-=-
Is there a link to the support or downloads section? The support link gives the emails, but no way to download emplode updates.

Edited by pgrzelak on 04/04/01 12:10 PM.

Posted by: rob

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 04:18

It's been up for all of 30 seconds in fact.

Actually that's a slightly misleading statement - what is "up" is a "closed down" page. Most of the content has moved to the rebranded Riohome site (which has also just gone live) with just the support files remaining at empeg.com. These will also moved to Riohome in the near future.

Empeg devotees, do not despair! I'm halfway through a major Geek Site update, and this site will serve as the home for all things empeg.

Rob

Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 04:26

Excellent! That was the next place I looked, and was sad to see that the geek site wasn't updated too...

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (40GB Green)
Posted by: phaigh

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 08:48

Er ... What happened to the store.

I've got possibly two colleagues ready to buy an empeg in the UK - wasn't this supposed to be served by the store on the empeg website?

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 09:26

The store has been closed for some time now... I think that the Rio site is the only way to buy a player now (and only the 12 gig players are in stock, but at a good price).

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 09:35

I noticed the new site has no link to the BBS or the Geeksite.... how are people going to find this place?

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com
Posted by: Terminator

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 09:36

The dates on the left side of the page are wrong too.

Sean

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 13:10

No, that's not true.

Here is what Rob said on the matter.

Rob, care to comment? Does this mean that it'll still come back when you get stock?

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 13:17

Actually, just wanted to say that the new RioHome pages for the RioCar are pretty good - all of the good stuff from the empeg pages has survived the transition, except for the 'Change Visual' button on the player screen.

Fantastic - I actually quite like the rio site ...

I'm not going to mention the store situation again.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 14:56

I looked on www.empeg.com and launch is mispelt.

Calvin

Posted by: silvercas

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 15:11

i always like 3 windows just to order.. come on now what the heck.. have the current window update if it doesnt serve a purpose i.e www.empeg.com is a redirection

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 15:59

We thought it would confuse people if www.empeg.com was just a redirection - we wanted somewhere that we could explain about the acquisition. Of course www.empeg.com is no longer a publicised URL - www.riohome.com is the official site.

Rob

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 16:02

The new Rio Car site isn't finished yet. There will be a links page, as well as support information and a general improvement to the presentation.

Rob

Posted by: loren

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 16:04

wow, there's tons of messed up menu links on the new Riohome site. Someone shoulda done a tad more testing =]. I personally liked the last design iteration better, it was brighter and easier on the eye. Big red bars are a no no where i come from (art college...psh) but whateva. It's better organized fo' sho'.

|| loren.cox ||

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 16:08

We have held back from opening our store because an official UK/EC SONICblue eStore is supposed to be opening very soon. I'm having some trouble getting a definitive date for this, but I don't want to reopen the empeg store just to close it again within a few days/weeks.

Rob

Posted by: tfabris

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 16:10

but I don't want to reopen the empeg store just to close it again within a few days/weeks.

Yeah, a few weeks' worth of sales isn't worth a few hours' work.

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 16:37

I'd like to clarify that what I just posted was meant as a joke. I know that there's more involved in supporting international sales than just uploading some pages to a web site.

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 04/04/2001 20:30

will you be able to buy one from australia as i wish to replace my stolen unit

andrew butler
sn 08000176 6G amber
Posted by: muzza

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 02:28

anyone notice the remote control on display has the stun/kill option?

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 02:53

Yes, I guess they did the photography before the production remote was available.

It's a talking point anyway

Rob

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 02:54

At this moment in time I have no idea what it going to happen with worldwide sales. As soon as the commercial people have worked it all out you'll be the first to know (that's a collective BBS you).

Rob

Posted by: ClemsonJeep

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 08:25

...and a general improvement to the presentation.

I do have to say, I've had about 2-3 different windows just pop up when clicking links on the RioHome site. Personally, I am not a big fan of a bunch of different windows popping up (whatever happened to the concept of updating the current window and/or frames?) whenever I surf around a page.

Just a suggestion, but I would recommend at least attempting to take out some of the new window pop ups (such as if you go to support, then go to box contents.. two seperate windows pop up).

Later. :)

(O|||||O)

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 09:01

I know this BBS is read by some of the people at Rio in the US, so keep the feedback coming. Note that this is a first spin of the new design, however, and there will inevitably be problems to work out.

Rob

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 11:23

The site looks good, and I am sure some minor bugs just need to be worked out. They are probably as excited to put up the site as we are to see it! :)

The only critical thing that is missing from the site is a link here! Also, more emphasis should be made that software upgrades are easy to do.

12gig Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 11:58

A links page will be added to the site soon(ish). Hopefully this will include a link to the geek site, which in turn links to just about everywhere.

Rob

Posted by: avatarTX

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 18:22

My thoughts on the new site..

Actually, I like it. I feel like a lot of you, there is a part of me that hates to see the empeg name go away, from the player to the website. There is a definite comeradery associated with it, especially here at this site. But the cons probably do not outweigh the pros. Rio will be able to give plenty to this product. However, I refuse to change my boot logo from the familiar empeg logo.

While I have not explored the new site extensively, I think its pretty slick. Someone else mentioned the use of red on the site, I personally don't mind it. I guess thats a personality quirk of mine..

I did not like the fact that there was not an obvious link to this message base and feel that Rio would do well to place one, and not bury it three (pop up?!) pages back. I know that Rio values what we say or they would not have invited us to take their marketing survey. We are capable of selling plenty of these units ourselves and THIS is where we meet.

I look forward to the site as it becomes more and more polished. And remember, times change. We must change with the times or grow stagnant and die.

Carl

080000506 12gb-green
Posted by: Terminator

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 05/04/2001 18:45

In that case, change the download link at the bottom of the page to read: emplode or upload. Download just doesnt sound right for a process that is really uploading.

Sean

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 06/04/2001 05:56

That change has already been requested.

Rob

Posted by: Henno

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 06/04/2001 07:06

keep the feedback coming

Same with their shopping page. Though it lists the empeg (sorry Rio) player in a prominent place (second from the top), its picture is miniscule compared to the standard Rio MP3 players. It looks much like an accesory to the Rio players, than their top product. Thye could place the photo of an empeg on its side, rather than horizontal. It'll look much better.

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6
Posted by: Dignan

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 06/04/2001 08:58

That reminds me, maybe this has been brought up (and I also don't know how the software works), but when I upgrade to 1.1, am I going to have a Rio boot logo? That would royally suck (sorry Rio) because I do not have a Rio product.

Anyone care to explain it to me? I'm not to clear on how much a software upgrade replaces.

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 06/04/2001 09:18

when I upgrade to 1.1, am I going to have a Rio boot logo?

No. The software upgrades do not touch the area of flash RAM where the logo information is stored.

Even if it did, my logo editor would let you change it back. It's all explained in the readme file, how the data is stored and how to change it. You can switch back and forth between the Rio logo and the Empeg logo at will.

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 06/04/2001 10:41

but when I upgrade to 1.1, am I going to have a Rio boot logo? That would royally suck (sorry Rio) because I do not have a Rio product.

I was going to ask the same question. Maybe we can save the empeg logo, do the upgrade, then replace the rio to the empeg logo?

Aouali

Re: New Empeg Site!!! - 06/04/2001 10:53

I was going to ask the same question. Maybe we can save the empeg logo, do the upgrade, then replace the rio to the empeg logo?

You don't need to do that. By default, the logo will not change from what it currently is. The software upgrades won't hurt the logos. The only way it will change is if you change it with my logo editor.