Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player

Posted by: Oscar

Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 26/08/2001 10:38

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but here's an upcoming product I just ran across. Reminds me of the early days of the Empeg!

http://www.slimdevices.com

Posted by: rob

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 26/08/2001 13:22

Only difference is, empeg was original and state of the art.

(ooh I'm bitchy today, feel free to slap)

Rob

Posted by: phaigh

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 26/08/2001 13:54

Yeah, and let's hope that they have the same sort of success that you guys did.

I can see a place for a low size ethernet MP3 player with a large screen.

I'm all for the 'little guys' actually going out and starting a company (beats bitching about stuff anyday) - remember that this is how empeg started and grew into what it is today.

Paul.

(Isn't it a bank holiday rob? Aren't you supposed to be HAPPY?)

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357
Posted by: Oscar

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 26/08/2001 20:45

I wasn't making a qualitative statement about them!
Actually, I'm surprised they're bothering with something this simple. From what I saw at the last CES, there is already so much competition out there from other companies with similar but more refined products (and that was many months ago...)

Posted by: flashman

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 26/08/2001 23:15

Did anyone see the one assembly picture where the guy has a cold brew on the desk while he's doing the soldering???
not sure if I would trust that bridge. (solder that is.....).

12Gb MKII 080000516 Blue

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 27/08/2001 02:38

Yeah, but their product is based around a PIC and a hardware MP3 decoder chip. That's a big step backwards. We dismissed that idea back in 1998.

I believe that opportunity exists for the small guy when a new concept is identified, and brought to market before the corporates choose to participate in the space. There's less opportunity stepping into a space in which the corporates are already thrashing it out with similar or superior products.

Rob

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 27/08/2001 02:39

Yeah, it's lucky Patrick doesn't drink - those early prototypes all worked (more or less) first time. Then again, he did develop something of a Red Bull problem

Rob

Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 27/08/2001 04:51

Greetings!

By the way, for those of us in the US, exactly what is a bank holiday? I know it is a day off, with most offices closed, but is there any background or reason for it? Is it a day where all of the bankers and lawyers are herded off somewhere? Just curious.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (96GB Smoke)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 27/08/2001 09:59

By the way, for those of us in the US, exactly what is a bank holiday? I know it is a day off, with most offices closed...

I think (someone from the UK correct me if I'm wrong), "Bank Holiday" is just their generic term for any nationally-observed holiday.

For instance, here in the US, we've got days like Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, President's Day, etc. We just call them national holidays instead of bank holidays.

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 27/08/2001 10:46

True, but the term is usually reserved for secular public holidays.

Rob

Posted by: mardibloke

Re: Slim Devices: Home Ethernet MP3 Player - 28/08/2001 08:25

Interesting that it has a decent sized display and no limit on MP3 database size

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 64gig Red S/No.341 2xDell RioReceiver