Visual Customizing

Posted by: TheRhino

Visual Customizing - 02/11/2001 08:30

I know that you can edit the Anna Vu with kernel hacks, but does anyone have examples/downloads of this? Also, is there a way to edit the "Image Pan" picture to something else as well?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Visual Customizing - 02/11/2001 10:24

I have some code for editing the Image Pan visual but have not had the time to work on it yet. My intention is to eventually allow editing of the Image Pan visual and the startup animation to be do-able in my logo editor.

The main problem is that the image pan visual is a loose file on the player's hard disk, and the hassles involved in doing RW-RO file transfers from VB are the main problems.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Visual Customizing - 02/11/2001 12:27

I have been trying to match the format of that escher file and put something else in its place, but have not had any luck. Do you know what the file format / structure is?

Re: Visual Customizing - 02/11/2001 12:50

It uses a proprietary RLE compressor to create. Borslav and I have the code for the compressor and some notes on it. With the permission of the Empeg guys, we could send this information to you.

Only if the source code would be useful to you, of course...
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Visual Customizing - 02/11/2001 13:21

Greetings!

Actually, probably not. While I can still read code, I would be utterly useless in trying to write a converter. Thanks for the offer, though.
Posted by: Wire

Re: Visual Customizing - 30/01/2002 16:10

Hi,

Hmm, I've been messing around with the files for the last couple of days. I got the .BF format figured out, pretty easy really (thanks guys@empeg for those plain bitmaps I'm considering a font editor, but the hard work is the editor, not the file reading and writing.

Toby's RLE compressor isn't THAT hard either when you have a good hex editor. But I'm having problems with the initial index. I don't know what he uses it for; movements, they seem like odd pointers into the graphics or something ... I would have guessed at it pointing at the start of each bitmap line, but it doesn't seem so.

I've attached evidence of a (sort of) working RLE decompressor. The red dots are where the index points to. Some bitmap lines are offset one pixel wrong, and for now I can't figure out why that is either.

So the converter is running 50% now. Which means it reads the files, but can't write them (not until I get the index stuff figured).

The FONTFILE.RAW is a total mystery for now Toby, any hints?

Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Visual Customizing - 30/01/2002 20:24

The fonts are not difficult to understand when you see the source code. Making an editor you can skip one of the steps I go through when modifying them (you should be able to generate them in an alternate way actually).

Could be cool to have. I was going to write a small program to go directly from a raw bitmap to the font source file, but I found that I was getting fast at editing the fonts by hand without an initial bitmap (or using a bitmap editor).

But I think I could definitely use something a bit more graphical. At least a few more times. Once I'm happy with all the font mods it's not something I'd keep changing. I'm still toying with the idea of doing a cyrillic set, but I haven't had any time for that recently.

It would definitely be a good idea to get the necessary permission from Rob and whomever else would be appropriate to give the OK. Anyway, if they give you the needed files, you'll see what I was talking about at the top.

Bruno
Posted by: prolux

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 04:54

FONTFILE.RAW:

+0 - Byte offset to FONTDATA
+4 - FONTLOOKUP

FONTLOOKUP:

+0 - Maximum character height
+4 - Average character width
+8 - CHARDEF (starting at ASCII 32)
+20 - next CHARDEF (ASCII 33)....
+20 + n*12 - all the way to ASCII (((sizeof(FONTLOOKUP)-8)/12)+32)

CHARDEF:

+0 - FONTDATA offset for this character
+4 - Width of character
+8 - Height of character

FONTDATA:

RLE data for each character offset in FONTLU

The annoyance of course is that you have to decompress each character with the RLE decompressor which seems to be causing you some trouble with dodgy offsets.

The player decompresses each character as it needs it to save run time memory overhead. This is how we suddenly acquired a more complete character set and actually saved memory (at the expense of cpu) overhead.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 08:46

Does this file contain both the small and large fonts that the player uses?

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 09:06

There are unique files for each font. Small, medium and the large visuals font.

Bruno
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 09:25

What I would really like is to be able to change to bitmap on Tux too Much. I know It would'nt be 'Tux'd anymore, but I really love this visual and it would be cool to be able to change the piccies.

Can this be done ?

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 09:45

Cool. Tonight I'll add this stuff to the riocar.org developer info section unless one of the other admins gets to it first. Good info to have around for anyone who wants to write utils to manipulate said fonts.

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 10:01

Just to clarify the file FONTFILE.RAW contains the information needed to draw the large font used in the InfoTex range of visuals.

The files Bruno has helped us to improve are small.bf and medium.bf - These are the font files used by the player (along with graphics.bf) - These have a completely different format to FONTFILE.RAW, they are small characters and there would be no point in run length encoding them. If anybody else would like the source code to compile the .hf font source files into .bf font files then please ask as we have it available as a stand alone program (Bruno has used it I believe).

In answer to somebody else's question about changing the TuxMuch background image, yes this should be very straightforward as the file (logo.raw) is not even run length encoded (same as vuback.raw which goes with the AnnaVu visual). The format is:

IMAGEFILE:

+0 - width
+4 - height
+8 - pixel data in 2bpp packed as 4bpp (i.e. 1 byte = 2 pixels with 2lsb colour)

-----
Toby

Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 10:09

<B>In answer to somebody else's question about changing the TuxMuch background image, yes this should be very straightforward as the file (logo.raw) is not even run length encoded (same as vuback.raw which goes with the AnnaVu visual). The format is:

IMAGEFILE:

+0 - width
+4 - height
+8 - pixel data in 2bpp packed as 4bpp (i.e. 1 byte = 2 pixels with 2lsb colour) </B>

Not being a teccie, I do hope this means something to someone ! I can create .raw from Pant Shop Pro 7. Presumably I can load logo.raw into PSP7, modify it and then save it back straight to the empeg ?

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 11:22

I do apologise mr bukem - I doubt very much that you will be able to convince paint shop pro to read and write files of the correct format, however there are many people on this bulletin board with much logo editing and type conversion experience who I am sure would be only too happy to provide the means necessary to turn files saved by paint shop pro or other such application into the required format.

emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 14:06

Hi,

Okay, the first release of emRAWerter is up.

http://www.karlslund.dk/empeg

It reads and writes the RLE compressed files (escher.raw) used as a background in "Image Pan" visual.

I know the format for the "Tux Much" visual as well, but the other format was more fun to hack at first

Oh yeah, it runs Windows only. So sue me.

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 14:21

I'm able to use my Empeg Logo Editor combined with UltraEdit to create an image that works for the Tux visuals. Eventually I will work this into the logoeditor code as an actual "Save As" option, but for now here is how to do it:

- Create the desired image as the "home" image in LogoEditor. If it's in the "car" image, use the swap home/car feature to get it in the home slot.

- Save it as a BIN file in LogoEditor.

- Open that file in UltraEdit, in Hex mode.

- File size, as displayed in bottom-right corner, should be exactly 4100.

- Select the first four bytes of the file (my first four bytes are the letters "empg" for example).

- Ctrl-C to copy those bytes to the clipboard.

- Ctrl-V twice to paste the bytes into place, once atop and once inserted.

- File size, as displayed in bottom-right corner, should be exactly 4104.

- Place cursor at the beginning of the file in the binary half of the screen.

- Atop the eight pasted bytes ("65 6d 70 67 65 6d 70 67" in my case) type the following eight bytes instead: 80 00 00 00 20 00 00 00.

- File size should still be exactly 4104.

- Scroll to the hex address 00000808h and place your cursor on that byte.

- Press Ctrl-Shift-End to select all bytes from there to the end of the file.

- Press Ctrl-X to cut all of those bytes.

- File size, as displayed in bottom-right corner, should be exactly 2056.

- File, Save As, "logo.raw". Make sure file name is all lower case.

- Connect to the empeg with Hypterterminal. I assume you know all about this one by now, if not search on the FAQ for "hypterterminal".

- In hyperterminal, press q <enter> to get out of the player. Should drop you to the shell prompt (must have developer installed).

- cd empeg/lib/visuals

- You should be in the empeg/lib/visuals directory.

- rw

- rm logo.raw

- rz

- Should say "waiting to receive". In hyperterminal, select Transfer/Send File and go get the logo.raw you saved. Send it.

- Back at the player's shell prompt, ignore any extra garbage on the line.

- chmod 644 logo.raw

- ro

- exit

Enjoy your new logo! Right now I've got Yoda's eyes throbbing at me...

NOTE: This only works for Tubular, TuxMuch, and TuxTooMuch. It does not work for the "Logo" visual.

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 14:34

Cool, awesome, rocking.

I've now got a portrait of Geddy Lee as my Image Pan visual. Too perfect.

Thanks!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 14:38

That's not perfect. That's frightening.

``Ahh! It's an alien! Oh, no. It's just Geddy Lee.''

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 14:56

Heh.

Hey, Toby... Wouldn't it be neat if we could add an extension to the config.ini syntax for favorites....

[VisualFavourites_DSP]
count=5
1=Image Pan
2=Image Pan<geddy.raw>
3=Image Pan<parrot.raw>
4=Tux Much
5=Tux Much<yoda.raw>

Ooo, or better yet, assume that each .raw file will be named with a single-word name and the .raw extension, and we could do:

1=Image Pan
2=Image Pan Geddy
3=Image Pan Parrot
4=Tux Much
5=Tux Much Yoda

Then you'd also have the proper name for the screen pre-made...

( Yeah, I hate feature creep, too. )

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 15:11

Hi,

Thanks!

I put up V1.01, which adds support for the uncompressed files as well. Still a bit crude, but it does the job.

http://www.karlslund.dk/empeg

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 15:15

Hi,

No, what would be really, really cool, is ...

Someone telling us the interface that visuals.bin uses to communicate with the player.

Then someone else guru-like writes a new customvis.bin.

Finally I add it to my visuals.list file

THAT WOULD BE COOL.

Another thing I'm thinking is, Toby's visuals must be composed of several layers of stuff. A background with stars, a scroller with text, something that makes the scrolltext bounce and zoom, an effect for trails etc. If those bits were made available we could "compose" our own visuals from the stuff already there. Like the vis-studio that comes with Winamp.

Keep hope alive
Posted by: mlord

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 15:20

>Oh yeah, it runs Windows only. So sue me.

Mmm.. very tempting here to cut/paste the unit serial number from your posting into Hijack's player "blacklist"..

I don't do windows.

-ml

(just kidding, about the blacklist).

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 15:32

Hi,

You can have the source. It should compile under Linux with Kylix. :-)

Any interest for it under Linux at all, or is everyone hardcore enough to edit them there with a hex editor like Fabris suggested?

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 15:34

Cool!

May I suggest adding instructions to your README.TXT file on exactly how to send files to the player and mount the hard disks properly etc.? (Like I did earlier in this thread.) Then it would be fully self-documenting and we could put it on RioCar.org.
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 15:52

Geddy WHO?...(Just kidding...)

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 16:57

This should be in Wish List, no?

Re: Visual Customizing - 31/01/2002 18:38

I was wondering why someone would be RLE'ing a couple of bits. The offsets also didn't seem to jive but I only looked briefly.

The large graphic font is the coolest one to have an editor for. The small ones are easy enough to do by hand and aren't something you might want to have variations of. I have some more edits to do, but not because I want alternate styling, just to make some corrections and make a few things cleaner.

Image editng is an excellent idea as well, but it would be really cool to have support it the player for multiple files. Being able to select them from the visual menu item (all grouped appropriately). Random support would be neat. As would the band-specific graphic idea someone else mentioned. But don't include my statements as a vote to try and get anything like this into 2.0. I'm happy with the bug fixes you guys are making already.

Bruno
Posted by: eternalsun

Re: emRAWerter released - 31/01/2002 19:35

Ooooh! Good idea, then you can use "Select Mode" to cycle through the images.

Calvin

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 01:15

Hi,

If you care to write them up in your usual friendly manner, please do so. I'm more the short tempered "it just has to work for me" type :-) Then I'll gladly include them (just mail it to me).

Any suggestions on a character editor for the big font?

I'll probably NOT implement all the editing tools in the software, but rather keep the cut'n'paste method. There's no need to reinvent the wheel, as there are many other great bitmap editors around.
Posted by: darwin

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 10:05

yes! I was able to change the logo.raw file using tony's method. I like tony's logo editor because when I paste my image in, it automatically finds the right color shades and sizes it to fit.

I did use emRAWerter and have had some trouble getting the right attributes in. When I paste in a color picture, it keeps all the color unlike tony's program. I know emRAWerter is in it's early stages, but if we can get it to automatically lower the colors to 4 and have the right pixels size it would be more helpful to everyone. Does the escher.raw file have to stay at 60kb? I've uploaded 110kb files and 10kb files and it ends up just freezing the player to the point where I have to reflash it with 2.07b and hijack again. I'll try it again and see what I get. What imaging software are people using to make their files?

Uh, Who's Geddy Lee? Is that a UK thing?

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 10:37

Hi,

emRAWerter is not in it's early stages!

I have no intention on including the things you mention in emRAWerter, unless there is a huge demand for it. My time is sparse, and there are so many software packages out there that are excellent at both resizing and color reduction (some with dithering as well).

All you need is PaintShop Pro (shareware) or try looking at http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/products/aatp_freephotoed_w.htm for some recommendations on some freeware ones.

No matter, you need knowledge and a FTP client as well

I'm sorry that your empeg freezes up on you. What did you do?

The escher.raw is RLE encoded. All the other .raw files are not.

Regarding size, I do not think there is a limit. I took Toby's PROLUX logo and put in a 512 x 512 bitmap. Using the RLE compression it was only 9kb afterwards. No problems on the empeg.

Regarding limits Toby is the only one who knows. But my (educated?) guess would be that the bitmap should be no less than 128 x 32 pixels and no more than 64kb in size.

If you have a problem file that I can examine, you can send it to me if you wish.

Hope I helped.

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 10:40

Does the escher.raw file have to stay at 60kb?

I don't know if the file size is an issue, I think it's more likely to be the X and Y dimensions of the image. What I would do is to copy the image from RAWerter to the clipboard and paste that image into your paint program. Then, look at its dimensions (I think it was 480x471 or something) and create a new image of the same dimensions or paste your image into the old one before copying and pasting it into RAWerter.

Remember that the "logo.raw" file must be plain, but the "escher.raw" file must be RLE-compressed, so choose the appropriate options when saving the file.

What imaging software are people using to make their files?

I'm using Paint Shop Pro. I have a palette file which allows me to apply the "empeg gray shades pallete" to the image. (I created this palette by pasting an image from my logo editor into PaintShop Pro, reducing it to 4 colors, and saving off that palette.) This allows me to get the image looking exactly right before pasting it back into RAWerter.

Who's Geddy Lee? Is that a UK thing?

Canada thing, actually. Geddy Lee is the vocalist and bass guitarist for the band Rush.

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 10:46

Hi,

Just a quick comment:

Size doesn't matter (in this case). At least it does not have to be the exact same dimensions as the original escher.raw

Your idea of using the color-levels from your LogoEditor is nice, but my software doesn't care. It just tries to evaluate the available color levels in the bitmap.

I tried converting a picture of the empeg motherboard to .RAW format, but it looked terrible on the empeg, because the pixels are so large.

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 10:46

Hi,

Just a quick comment:

Size doesn't matter (in this case). At least it does not have to be the exact same dimensions as the original escher.raw

Your idea of using the color-levels from your LogoEditor is nice, but my software doesn't care. It just tries to evaluate the available color levels in the bitmap.

I tried converting a picture of the empeg motherboard to .RAW format, but it looked terrible on the empeg, because the pixels are so large.

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 12:12

YES!!!! I got a new image pan working!!!! Sorry about saying it's in it's early stages, I guess I just needed a little more guidance. It's easy for me to do now. I was able to use paint shop pro and did the exact thing that tony was instructing, including going to the color's menu and creating a new palette with 4 colors. I then pasted my image in to psp, copied it, pasted in to emRAWerter, save, compress, upload. I'm happy!

Thanks Tony & Lars & everyone else for your help!

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 12:23

For anyone who wants a picture of a SuperCharged Toyota 4Runner for their Image Pan Visual, I have added the file attachment in this post.

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 12:31

Right. I knew that.

I prefer, though, to preview my work on the PC screen, and perform adjustments to it, so that I know how it's going to look on the player before I send it. If I send it a pure grayscale image, I have no control over the cutoff points. If I do the color reduction in PSP first, I can see how it will look and then I can change things to make it look better.

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 13:46

You know, I just realized I'm sitting here staring at an MC Escher calendar right here on my wall. I could scan all of the images and turn them into Image Pan format. That way, if you wanted, you could follow a "theme" in your image pan visuals while still customizing it.

Anyone interested?

By the way, for anyone interested in using the RAWerter to save logo images, you can (in Internet Explorer) right-click on any logo at the logo site and hit "copy", then hit "paste" to paste it into the RAWwerter application.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: emRAWerter released - 01/02/2002 15:08

Is there a FAQ in the works for this? (honestly, I'm a bit confused)
Posted by: TheTwin314

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 15:06

this program is absolutely brilliant, I love it, I've got my aphex twin head scrolling around the screen right now.

one thing I found on paint shop pro, here's the steps I go through to make a 4-color greyscale image for RAWerter.
actuall I'll just go through the entire process for people to read.

fire up paint shop pro.
load up your image, first I go to the colors menu, then select "Grey scale".
next go to the colors menu and select "Decrease Color Depths" >> "X Colors" or you can use shift+cntrl+6
this will bring up a new window to select your color options
here is what I selected...
Number of colors: 4
either optimized median cut or standard/web-safe will look fine
in the reduction method select "error diffusion" default is nearest color, then in the options part select "reduce color bleeding"

this will make for a very nice image, selecting the "nearest color" method will make the colors pretty blocky for the image, but the diffusion looks nice, try it both ways and you'll see what I'm talking about.

ok now that you've reduced the colors, make sure your tool is the "arrow" tool, then right click on the image, and select "copy", then fire up emRAWerter and select the "paste" button. Next select "Save RAW" it will ask for the filename, I give mine a "custom_file.raw" that way they all start with "custom" after it is saved what I did was connect to the empeg via hyperterminal and get to the shell, then issue the command "rw" to make it read/write.

then fire up my ftp client, and connect to the empeg, change dir's to the /empeg/lib/visuals directory, and I placed all my custom images in there. now you can close your ftp client.

now within the shell, save off your escher.raw to another filename escher.raw.real seems appropriate. now whenever I want to change logo's I simply have to drop to the shell and copy whatever image I want to use, to escher.raw, then exit out of the shell. and image pan will use the new image.

perhaps on the riocar.org site we could have a repository for all the new image pan images, much like we currently do for the boot logos.

thanks for the great tool
eli

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 15:54

Number of colors: 4 either optimized median cut or standard/web-safe will look fine

This is the step where I do it differently, and I'll explain why:

Color reducing to a median or standard palette assume equidistant shades. Even color reducing to the Windows palette makes the same assumption. And on your computer screen, these will be fine.

However, on the car player, the shades of color are not equidistant. The two shades of gray are very close to each other in brightness, and they are very far from black in actual perceived brightness on the screen.

Sure, if you paste your optimized-median-cut image into LogoEdit or RAWerter, it will work. But when PaintShop Pro color-reduced it, it was choosing its reduction cutoff points based on different grayscale values than the player displays. So the image on the player is not optimized as well as it could have been if you'd used a custom palette. Here is an example of what I mean:

I admit, the difference between the two images is subtle. Whether or not you prefer one image over the other isn't the point. My point is that doing a straight evenly-spaced color reduction doesn't choose the values at the optimum points for the player's screen.

I'm still working on getting the "perfect" values for the palette, but for now, you can find the values I'm using for the logo editor's palette in its .INI file. You can use these values in a custom PaintShop Pro palette if you like.

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 16:07

Now class, what's the difference? Anyone? ... Anyone? ... Bueller?

I think you'd better find some different examples Tony. In the case of the shot you included, the nearest-pick looks a little better than the empeg optimized one. Anyone else from an Amiga background involving a bit of graphics would also know exactly what you're talking about. I'm sure we can find something where the difference is immediately visible. It would probably be better to show the effects on a logo or something with a simpler flat layout (instead of the continuous tone image you started with).

There are more algorithms to do colour reduction and image resampling than you can shake a stick at. It's a shame that none of the big-boy programs like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro come standard with a larger variety. I used to have a number of excellent image processors on the Amiga that would make short work of this type of conversion.

Bruno
Posted by: djdrock

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 16:30

Tony (or anyone),

The only program I have is Adobe Photodeluxe v3.0 Home Edition. Do you know if there are any addons that I can locate (or other freeware/shareware progs) that will allow more sophisticated greyscale conversion like you were just showing. My program will convert to 256 colors of grey, but will not allow more sophisticated adjustments. Thanks!

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 16:49

I was pretty sure PhotoDeluxe could do it. What you're looking for is INDEX, not Grayscale. In Photoshop I would generally choose MODE->Grayscale and then MODE->RGB and then MODE->INDEX

PShop won't allow you to use the Index selector when you're already in grayscale (which itself is an 8bit index mode).

Anyway, take a look as I believe PhotoDeluxe should have at least those basic modes of Photoshop. Of course you might also want to try PhotoshopElements which was released last year. It's a very cut down PShop - I'm not sure if it replaced PhotoDeluxe in their lineup.

Bruno
Posted by: djdrock

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 17:16

Hybrid8...yep, you were correct. It does have an index option and then I was able to customize the four shades I needed. I appreciate your help!

Re: emRAWerter released - 02/02/2002 19:18

I think you'd better find some different examples Tony. In the case of the shot you included, the nearest-pick looks a little better than the empeg optimized one.

And like I said, the important point wasn't which one looked better, but that the two used different indices to derive their cutoff points.

Personally, I preferred the empeg-optimized one for various reasons, including things like the details in Cameron's jersey were more visible, the expression on Ferris' face is more clear, etc. But those are simply subjective judgements and have nothing to do with the discussion.

And if you're dithering, it becomes even more critical, by the way, because the shade of each dither dot becomes more important.

Re: emRAWerter released - 03/02/2002 11:28

Turns out that one doesn't need to scan anything to locate escher pictures. There's an escher web site with a bunch of great images, just aching to be turned into image pan visuals. How about this one?

edit: Crap, didn't check the file size before uploading it. It came out to bigger than 100k. Sorry. If you want to make your own, go to http://www.worldofescher.com. Enjoy!
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: emRAWerter released - 03/02/2002 19:11

You know, I just realized I'm sitting here staring at an MC Escher calendar right here on my wall. I could scan all of the images and turn them into Image Pan format.

Are these pictures public domain? Do you need permission to copy and distribute them?

Hope I haven't rained on anybody's parade here...

tanstaafl.

Re: emRAWerter released - 03/02/2002 19:19

I'm sure the photographs in the calendar aren't. Of course, who's to say where you obtained a scan of the escher prints in the first place...

Bruno

Re: emRAWerter released - 03/02/2002 23:51

The Escher copyright owners are very particular about where the images are used I heard.

Calvin
Posted by: frog51

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 05:26

In Photoshop it is a pain in the neck. It is dead easy to reduce to two colours - but getting 4 is tricky. Even though you can grab the palette from escher.raw, for example, it doesn't seem to want to reduce to those 4. Have to get Photodeluxe, I guess.

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 11:49

The Escher copyright owners are very particular about where the images are used I heard.

Well, let's see. The image on my wall right now is 64 years old. I don't know enough about copyright law to know whether that places it into public domain or not, but I have to say that a low-rez scan for the player screen couldn't possibly upset them.

Anyway, all of the escher images can be grabbed directly from the web at http://www.worldofescher.com/ for anyone who is interested.

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 11:53

In Photoshop it is a pain in the neck. It is dead easy to reduce to two colours - but getting 4 is tricky.

Yeah, I know what you mean. This is one of the reasons I stick with Paint Shop Pro, as it's much better suited to doing indexed-color reduction. Doing things like Quake1/2 textures is nearly impossible in Photoshop.

I never understood this. I don't see why Adobe has to make indexed work so difficult. And it literally becomes a problem where I work, because our art department likes Photoshop. Every time we ask for a 16-color Windows icon, we get something that uses something other than the 16 Windows Palette colors.

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 11:55

It doesn't make any difference whether a particular case upsets them or not. If they fail to enforce their copyright, even for just one minor infraction, they stand the chance of losing it altogether.

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 12:14

If they fail to enforce their copyright, even for just one minor infraction, they stand the chance of losing it altogether.

I was under the impression that this statement applied to Trademarks, but not necessarily copyrights.

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 12:28

Hmmm. Just went wandering through Title 17, and I didn't see a reference to required enforcement at all. Seems you may be right. I'm batting .000 lately.

Off-topically, it's interesting to note that a registered copyright must exist before an infringement suit is brought, even if the registration occurred well after the fact, even just before the suit, even though a non-registered copyright holds no fewer direct civil benefits.

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 12:55

I believe the largest collection of Escher artwork is the Vorpal Gallery in San Francisco. The owner of the gallery used to be the distributor for Escher, and after his death, re-purchased many of Escher's works -- especially since as a dealer he knew who he sold the works to. I've been in the back room and have held some of those original works in my hands. :-D Call them and find out what their opinion is.

Calvin
Posted by: loren

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 13:02

Ditto... that gallery is amazing. I got to check some out close up. Precision to the nth degree. I had a severe fascination with Escher the whole of my teen years, and i flipped when i found out that gallery was half a mile from my apartment. It's a must see for Escher freaks =]

Re: emRAWerter released - 04/02/2002 13:05

That's a nice neighorhood you live in, I wish I could afford to live there! :-D

Calvin
Posted by: gmoneh

Re: Visual Customizing - 06/02/2002 15:09

How can we get the logo visual to change, it would be really cool to be able to choose your own visual logo. That's something I would be willing to attempt, even though I am a new rio owner, any help would be cool.
g4sho

Re: Visual Customizing - 06/02/2002 19:30

This thread has multiple pages. And on some of the other pages, guess what? There are instructions on how to do EXACTLY what you just asked.

Bruno

Tony, I think we need a BIGGER flashing message on the posting screen. And one that doesn't blank for so long.

Re: Visual Customizing - 06/02/2002 19:33

Actually, this thread does not tell him how to do what he wants to do. He wants to change the visual named "logo", which (if I recall correctly) requires editing the player binary. Although that, too, can be done, I don't have any links to the necessary tools handy.

Re: Visual Customizing - 06/02/2002 19:46

MASSIVE EDIT. I had a semi-apologetic-sounding followup...

I'll stick by my guns on this one. The LOGO.RAW file is located on the drive. I just opened it in Photoshop. Sort-of. Unfortunately Photoshop isn't the coolest thing to use when trying to open low-bit raw. It should be easy to edit though.

I'm glad my snark didn't go unwasted.

Bruno

Re: Visual Customizing - 06/02/2002 21:03

And here's the tux logo off the player, doubled up and with 4 header bytes trimmed so it will load properly into Tony's logo editor.

Tony, you should allow your program to load the raw files into either HOME or CAR bank and allow to specify a header size. Then you'd be able to load them right from the player. Or of course you could hardcode support to skip an 8-byte header and when the file is half-size, ask what bank to put it in.

Bruno

Re: Visual Customizing - 07/02/2002 01:45

I'll stick by my guns on this one. The LOGO.RAW file is located on the drive.

If this is the one in empeg/lib/visuals, when you edit this file, it will change the TuxMuch, TuxTooMuch, and Tubular visuals. It will not change the Logo visual.

If there's another copy of the file in another directory which controls the Logo visual, then cool, where is it located.

Re: Visual Customizing - 07/02/2002 01:47

Tony, you should allow your program to load the raw files into either HOME or CAR bank and allow to specify a header size.

Eventually I plan to add full support for editing the logo files and the image pan visual. When I do that, I will also implement complete one-click uploading through the serial port. But until then, I'm going to leave the RAWfile editing to RAWerter.

Re: Visual Customizing - 07/02/2002 01:52

And here's the tux logo off the player, doubled up and with 4 header bytes trimmed so it will load properly into Tony's logo editor.

Oddly, I got the same funny dither pattern on the grays in Tux's beak and toes when I tried grabbing it off the player a few days ago. I thought I was doing it wrong, but when I sent my own custom files back to the player, they worked OK.

The original logo file is actually supposed to look like the attached file.

Re: Visual Customizing - 07/02/2002 16:46

I'll experiment with this when I have some time. Likely not tonight. If the above is true, then what's the tux file doing on the HD?

I did a double-take on the dithered beak and feet as well. Couldn't explain it. If your parser were pulling the file in incorrectly, it would show problems elsewhere. Plus, even though those parts were dithered, they were still outlined correctly - too selective for a load error.

Bruno

Re: Visual Customizing - 07/02/2002 17:05

If the above is true, then what's the tux file doing on the HD?

Because that image is used for the visuals TuxMuch, TuxTooMuch, and Tubular. The fact that it happens to be the same images as the "Logo" visual is a coincidence.

Re: Visual Customizing - 07/02/2002 18:59

I thought I had seen another "*tux*" file in the visuals directory. Oops. Must have just been thinking of the empeg_logo.raw file.

I think I'd already made a suggestion somewhere that all the image visuals have the ability to select from multiple files. I'd consider this a post 2.0 feature request though.

Bruno

Re: Visual Customizing - 08/02/2002 22:33

The funny dither isn't introduced by any type of error in your program or the transfer. That's just the way the file is. It's definitely different than the one used for the logo visual and much different than the one for the startup animation. If you look carefully at Tux Much (when the volume goes loud) or the Tux Too Much, you'll see the dither in Tux's feet quite easily.

Bruno
Posted by: jheathco

Re: Visual Customizing - 17/02/2002 13:40

Nothing like Heidi Klum bouncing around the empeg screen