Audible.com format on Empeg?

Posted by: amaximow

Audible.com format on Empeg? - 14/11/2001 00:06

Anyone have experience using Audible.com's Audiobooks on their Mk2's? They are currently running a promo for a free Rio 600 (stocking stuffer) if you sign up for their monthly download service. They offer several formats, but their descriptions are not stupid-intuitive. Arrrghhhh!

For example they describe Format #4 as, "Format #4 happens to be a version of MP3, the well-known compression technology used for music." What version? Apparently they use some copy protection scheme...

Format #4 seems like the only format that smells, looks, and quacks like MP3, so it must be.... Will it work on Mk2?

--Andrew
Posted by: loren

Re: Audible.com format on Empeg? - 14/11/2001 02:09

Here's a thread on that very subject....
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Audible.com format on Empeg? - 14/11/2001 10:27

There's actually a FAQ entry on the subject of Audio Books.
Posted by: amaximow

Re: Audible.com format on Empeg? - 14/11/2001 21:31

Yup, I just made a couple purchases from Audible.com and recroded them through Total Recorder. That did the trick! Now I can play them on the Empeg. Thanks for the referral to the FAQ, Tony.

--Andrew
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Audible.com format on Empeg? - 14/11/2001 21:37

I would have never considered an audio book in a digital format. I just don't have the time nor the convenient means of listening to one. Until now. :)

I think I have a reason to look into what titles are available now. Hitchhiker's guide would be an excellent start.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Audible.com format on Empeg? - 14/11/2001 21:52

I own two audio books. William Gibson's Neuromancer and Steve Martin's Pure Drivel, both unabridged, both read by the author. Pure Drivel is great. They added sound effects and stuff, and there's nothing like Steve reading his own material. And listening to William Gibson's weird South Carolinian/Canadian drawl reading science fiction is almost as weird as listening to Isaac Asimov's thick Brooklyn drawl doing the same thing.

Anyway, they're both on my empeg now, and they're remarkably entertaining. You might also want to consider the radio version of H2G2 and the Star Wars trilogy (as a bonus, no Jar-Jar!). And the Lord of the Rings production is great, too.