Price Drop

Posted by: rob

Price Drop - 22/12/2001 20:16

Guys,

Sorry I didn't make an announcement about this. I would have done so if anyone had bothered to tell me that this was going to happen, and likewise I would have updated the international prices.

I'll adjust the store on Monday, but we won't be dispatching anything from the international store until the new year (January 2nd).

I _assume_ that SB are going to honour the 30 day price promise. If you bought a player at the previous price within the last 30 days, contact SB right away. You might find you get a much faster response by phoning, even if you have to hold for a while. If you purchased from the International store, we won't be processing any refunds until the new year (assuming SB give the go-ahead to do so) so just email [email protected] and we'll get back to you.

Note that the UK store is now out of tuner modules, and I suspect the same will be true in the US very soon. I'd encourage you not to stock pile spares - it would be nice if as many owners as possible were able to get a tuner for their car. I don't know if any more will be manufactured - I wouldn't bet on it.

Rob
Posted by: Liufeng

Re: Price Drop - 22/12/2001 20:34

hmmm,

I ordered a spare just like half the world.. I can't believe these prices. I hope this isn't some sort of clerical error or worse... hacking.... What do you think the chances, considering Rob didn't know about it, that someone hacked the web site and changed the prices as a joke? Something to think about.

-Tom

Re: Price Drop - 22/12/2001 20:37

I doubt that's the case. I was aware that the plan was to sell all of the stock by the end of the year, but I wasn't aware that the final push would be so dramatic.

I've just emailed our staff to advise them to get their own orders in before the players are gone! This is about half the current "staff discount price"

Rob
Posted by: skritch

Re: Price Drop - 22/12/2001 20:49

Rob -
Does this apply to all sales from the SonicBlue store, or just the international/UK orders? I just emailed [email protected] (and bounced a copy to [email protected] as well) and referenced you.

I sincerely hope they will honor the promise, and refund the difference. After all, I can return the unit, and they're not going to be able to sell the 10GB unit at $699 anymore, so it really doesn't make sense to refuse, as they lose that money either way.

Thanks for the heads up; I already ordered a second 10GB unit and tuner for my wife.

Re: Price Drop - 22/12/2001 20:57

I've already had a few emails that I can do nothing about, because they're sent to the wrong place.

If you bought from the US eStore (i.e. you went to store.sonicblue.com and paid in US$) you need to contact SONICblue in the USA - I believe the address is [email protected]

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] can do nothing to help you, other than forward your email. This will introduce a delay because we're pretty much closed down for Christmas.

If you purchased from the international store, then go ahead and contact [email protected]. Please don't contact me direct - I work for Engineering and have zero involvement in day to day operations of either store.

Thanks

Rob
Posted by: sambo99

Re: Price Drop - 22/12/2001 22:06

Rob,

Could you ask the guys in the international store to add Australia to the shipping country list box

Cheers

Sam
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 02:15

Hey Rob, is that referal offer for the fleece still good? I purchased a second unit for myself at the new low price and I think a friend of mine is going to order one tonight as well. That price is too good to pass up.

-Mike
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 02:45

Can I order immediately at those prices, before you update the international store?
Posted by: David

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 04:03

Australia is in the list - it just lists European countries first.

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 04:11

Any orders placed now will be changed to the new pricing before processing, but I haven't worked out exactly what that will be in UK pounds yet. I'll use the exchange rate at the time.

Rob

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 04:11

I guess so, while stocks last!

Rob

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 04:12

Yea! OK, where's that MasterCard....
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 04:57

What's the status of Tuner modules? I noticed they were "Out of stock" in the international e-store - will there be any more available later on?

/Michael
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 06:04

Greetings!

In a way, I feel somewhat sad for you and the other folks@empeg - watching one of the greatest audio / computer products ever made being sold at liquidation prices. I hate to think of the loss SB is taking on this, and I hope that the folks@empeg will not suffer for it.
Posted by: thenominous

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 06:18

But it is safe to say that the new UK price will reflect VERY similar to the US one. www.xe.net currency convertor puts the US price at just under £140 quid.

Should I look to this as a good indication, or is it more likely to be towards the 200 mark?

Cheers

Dave
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 06:26

It should be the same, but I don't really care if it's a couple of pounds off. I've just ordered two 10gig Rio's and one 60gig (and a couple a screen colour change kits). I've got some very extatic friends now for whom the Empeg has finally gotten into their price range.

But I sure wish it had happened under different circumstances...

I hope Rob has the time to change those international stores prices soon! I've now ordered for £2050. (and my visa is limited to +/- £1400). Phew! Though I know the end price will be around £600 I must admit this scares me somewhat. I've never spent that much money in so little seconds, even if it isn't the "real" amount...(except for my car, but that was different )
Posted by: thenominous

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 07:59

just doing a little price comparision.The original listed price for the US 10Gb player was 699 which is about 500 quid. The UK price inc the VAT is 600 quid.

Im therefore thinking (no, hoping!) of a worse case that the UK 10Gb is gonna be 170 quid, 140 at best.

Ok, Ok, its mainly all guess work, but Im buggered if I was gonna wait till tomorrow to order them, just in case!

Im at 1200 and my limit is 1000, but Im sure ther are some other purchases on it too! :o

Cheers

Dave
-- off to frag another card
Posted by: altman

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 08:43

We're not sad that they're going out; it's far better for a product to be appreciated by lots of people than it sitting on shelves doing noone any good. Stock doesn't age well; everyone here wasn't expecting such a big drop, but we're more out of the sales loop than we expected...

SB will be making a big loss on the liquidation; IMHO if some effort had gone into marketing & selling the unit in the first place, such a situation as this would never have arisen. Just my personal opinion.

Take advantage of it, it's an incredible steal... if anyone feels like spreading the word (for example, anyone considering a Neo of Phatbox would be mad not to look at an empeg for $199!)... feel free ;)

Hugo
Posted by: beaker

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 09:04

I've already told my Niece about it. She's seriously considering one now for her MR2. Maybe I'll get a fleece at last . I'l probably get another player for myself too. I'm gonna email a guy I work with too. There are quite a few people I know who'd like one but couldn't justify the cost so I'll be letting them know as well.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 09:10

I'm in the same situation. A few people at work wanted one, but flinched at the high price a while back. The price dropped, and they looked at it again, but with the holidays they wern't sure. Now they have no excuse.

2 of my friends should be placing an order here soon, both have had extensive experience with mine on roadtrips. And I plan on ordering another one for myself, since I was planning on buying an extra dock soon for a future car if my current one gets trashed. $75 more for a second player to be used at home, I definitly can't beat that.
Posted by: grgcombs

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 10:34

Speaking of, Rob, I'm curious about something. I placed an order last night (US store) for a 10 gig unit.

a) Do you think the US store had enough units to even fill what was ordered yesterday?

b) If they run out before they get to mine, is there any way to get them to adjust my order to one of the more expensive units that are still in stock (I'll pay the extra, as long as I can get one)

Greg

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 11:16

I made an accurate conversion to get the UK price (see new thread). If you're in the EC you may have to pay 17.5% sales tax on top, just as our US customers may have to pay their rate of sales tax on their purchases.

Rob

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 11:18

I suspect we won't get any more stock.

Hugo is looking at ways to alleviate this problem. Options could include a "free licence" of the design if someone is interested in manufacturing them.

Rob

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 11:20

Sorry Greg, I know nothing of the US stock situation, or how their store works in such situations.

At the international store we will supply on a first come first served basis, and offer an option to change the order to a higher available model if we sell out.

Rob
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 11:27

At the international store we will supply on a first come first served basis, and offer an option to change the order to a higher available model if we sell out.

Cool! No matter what size HD I'll "have" to buy, it's still a deal that can't be beat!
Posted by: nester

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 11:42

Here's to hoping they give me the difference... I'm feeling a bit ill after all this.. $500 at christmas time goes a long way.. *sigh*
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 12:02

Greetings!

Indeed. I have been letting all of the people at work know about it. You will not have any left on the shelves, that is certain. Thanks!

And, yes, I (and probably everyone here) agree with your opinion about SB's marketing and general handling of the RioCar...
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 12:20

Regarding Tuner modules:
I suspect we won't get any more stock.

Dang, I knew I should've gotten an extra when I ordered the tuner for my existing empeg...

Hugo is looking at ways to alleviate this problem. Options could include a "free licence" of the design if someone is interested in manufacturing them.

That would just be so great!
I recall seeing SMT stuff when peeking under the lid, but how complex is the board (layers)? Any idea how hard sourcing the components in small quantitys would be?

/Michael

Re: Price Drop - 23/12/2001 12:55

That's the spirit, Hugo!

You already know almost all of us share your opinion on handling empeg received from S|B. I surely hope they will not repeat the performance with other fruits of your work.

The word on discount is spreading (but not before I ordered my 60GB upgrade - old 18BG will be spare ).

Rob tells us you are considering various solutions regarding unavailability of tuner module. This prompts me to repeat what numerous people have already said: I have never encountered a company (or a group within one) so commited to their customers, by far. This includes my own company and myself personally.

I wish the new year brings you success and fewer shocks!
Posted by: crazyscot

Re: Price Drop - 29/12/2001 06:52

In reply to:

I _assume_ that SB are going to honour the 30 day price promise.

Can you post a reference to this? I couldn't find any mention on the empeg, riocar or sonicblue sites, nor on the order paperwork.

Ross (bought on Nov 15 )
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Price Drop - 29/12/2001 11:21

You have to call and ask.

Re: Price Drop - 29/12/2001 14:08

From the eStore FAQ:

Q. How can I return an order?

A. If you are not completely satisfied with your eStore buy, you can return it within 30 days from the date you purchased it for a refund less the shipping and handling. Please contact our returns department for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) toll free at (800) 468-5846. Returns without an RMA will cause a delay in processing your refund.

(Clearly it is better for the store to simply refund the difference to you, than have you return the product and purchase another at the new price).
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Price Drop - 29/12/2001 14:18

Believe it or not that Toys'r'Us has the same policy here in Canada for returns (used to be up to 90 days I think) yet they DO NOT do price protection. Even after I explained to them the steps I could take to defeat their stupid stance.

I went in one time with receipt asking if I could get the difference back. They woulnd't do it. So, I told them what I was about to do and did it: I went into the store, grabbed the same item I already owned, paid the new lower price for it and then went straight back to the returns counter. I returned it on the original receipt which was obviously for the higher price. I told them "thanks!"

Bruno
Posted by: papinist

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 17:19

Hi,
I'm posting for the first time... I'm arrived here due to the price drop of RioCar.
I want to buy it, but the international store has sold all out... I email to USA store asking if they can send a unit to me (I live in Italy) but I think these days anyone reply me :(
Do you think they could send a unit to me?
Posted by: JeepBastard

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 17:29

unforunately the USA store is out of stock on every unit except the 30 gig one.

(the 10 gig and 20 gig and 60 gig units are all gone)

so is the tuner.

I would have loved to get a mark 2 but i guess all the ebay speculators got them first. I heard about the sale today, but it was too late.

I know you guys who got it who intend to keep it for yourself are going to enjoy them. Congratulations. It is the only product that I have held up as an example of a well thought out open ended device.

Posted by: number6

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 17:33

Unfortunately the USA store will only supply to those who live in the US or Canada and who have a US delivery address AND a US billing address on their Credit Card.
[those who know have told us this to be true and I don't doubt this for a minute].

Therefore if the International Store has sold out, you will not be able to buy a RioCar from Rio directly.

However you should visit the "For Sale" forum on this BBS as a number of people are selling RioCars for various reasons.
[not all are trying to make lots of money from doing so].

You may also try Ebay - but the prices there will not be as cheap as the RioCar were at the Rio stores [which is why they sold out so quickly] and you would still have to get it shipped from the US.

So Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
You should have been here a week ago :-(((

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 17:38

Sorry, no. They even won't let one pay with out-of-USA credit card and have unit shipped somewhere to USA. The only way would be to somebody from USA buy it for you. However, somebody just wrote that they are out of all units except 30GB ones (without a tuner), and I don't suppose they will last much longer.

Some people probably bought several units with intention to sell them (e.g. on eBay); perhaps someone will be selling their old units... Keep an eye open on eBay and 'For sale' forum here. Of course, second-hand unit's prices will rise
Posted by: mlord

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 19:04

I for one will be selling my original Mk2 unit if my order for a Mk2a(30GB) comes through (waiting..). There will probably be others like me.

Cheers

Mark (Ottawa, Canada)
Posted by: CommOri

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 19:07

Ok, my newbie-ness will shine through here:

Why would you sell your original? Was there a hardware change that you're getting with the new unit?
Posted by: papinist

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 19:08

Unfortunately all units are sold out, both USA and International store.
Unluckily I heard about price drop four or five days ago, but I already have a Neo 35 in my car so I say "Damn if I have wait some more!".
Instead, today I was thinking about sell my neo 35 and JVC car hi-fi to change with the Empeg... it seems to me do-able and so I come back to the order page...

At this point, I *want* an Empeg! But if I want a new one, perhaps I shall check ebay...

thanks for prompt reply

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 19:25

Was there a hardware change that you're getting with the new unit?

Ts-ts, Tod, not reading Tony's FAQ See here.

Apart from 4MB of RAM more, there were some minor hardware cleanups (e.g. negative voltage protection on switched power), but nothing spectacular.

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 19:26

Simple. I am a (very) active Linux kernel hacker, adding tons of new features to my (and others) Empeg (aka RioCar) player, and the extra 4MB of memory on a Mk2a may someday be useful to me. Also, at the firesale prices, I cannot pass up a chance for a larger harddrive that just happens to have a RioCar Mk2a attached to it for about C$200 extra.

Cheers

Re: Price Drop - 30/12/2001 20:50

Yes. I would love to get even the original mark 2 to start working on some apps that work with wireless/microphone/visuals and infrared. When you aren't working you have a lot of time to program. :)

Hopefully I can pick one up at a reasonable price. I know some will end up on ebay with huge mark-ups from what the price is now. Here comes the waiting game!
Posted by: CommOri

Re: Price Drop - 31/12/2001 00:33

Tony came over and explained some of the 2->2a differences to me.

mlord, another newbie question, didn't you do a bunch of IDE work on linux?

Re: Price Drop - 31/12/2001 06:25

>Tony came over and explained some of the 2->2a differences to me.
>
>mlord, another newbie question, didn't you do a bunch of IDE work on linux?

Yeah, that's me. Linux IDE Guy 1992-1999 -- wrote the original IDE driver subsystem, which really hasn't changed much at all since I handed most of it to Andre Hendrick. He's been moving lots of chipset-init code into the kernel since then, but (IMHO) has lagged a fair bit on advancing the state of the art.
Modern IDE drives support tagged-queuing & disconnect, and practically all existing CD-ROM drives can do disconnect, but Linux has not been updated to provide those performance features.

Myself, I just putter away on things like chipset modules for pay, crypto drivers, and other kernel customizations for various clients these days.

Plus a current addict(ion) for hacking my Empeg.

Cheers!
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Price Drop - 31/12/2001 06:59

i really hope you dont get un-additced to hacking the empeg, becuase i sure love it

Re: Price Drop - 31/12/2001 08:24

the usa store is now completely sold out. sigh. I'll be all nervous for the next six months waiting for a chance to buy one now :)

im sure someone out there knows the feeling of what im talking about.