LAME crashing WinXP

Posted by: robricc

LAME crashing WinXP - 31/12/2001 14:12

The Lame 3.91 binary from http://mitiok.cjb.net/ crashes under XP Pro on my machine. Is anyone else experiencing this? 3.89 works fine. I can't find any evidence of this on dejanews.

EDIT: I meant to post this to Off Topic. Sorry.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: LAME crashing WinXP - 31/12/2001 16:36

I meant to post this to Off Topic. Sorry.

I think it's very on-topic.
Posted by: eslange

Re: LAME crashing WinXP - 02/01/2002 02:35

Haven't tried version 3.91 (neither other versions) on XP, but maybe better use the latest stable version 3.90. This version has been released on 21st december 2001 and as far I now it works also OK for XP.
Using beta's often involves some risks...especially after a stable release because of a lot new stuff, which was post-poned due to the coming stable release.

Hopes this helps,

Eize
Posted by: BartDG

Re: LAME crashing WinXP - 02/01/2002 04:46

On the page that Robricc is providing, 3.91 is posted as a "stable" version. Looking at the release notes only minor adjustments have been made anyway.
BTW, anybody tried yet if the --nogap feature has matured since the last release?

I haven't tried it yet and I'm not going to (on XP that is - I will use it with 2000), because I'm going to reinstall my system today with win 2000. Damn I really hate XP, I wish I never bothered with it.
Posted by: eslange

Re: LAME crashing WinXP - 02/01/2002 04:59

Ooeepss,

You're right... 3.91 (stable) is the 3.90 stable plus the missing vbrquantizer.h file (and a repair for an accidental bug)

Eize Slange
(Empeg 10Gig, Blue, Tuner)