tuners going,going,forget it

Posted by: jwickis

tuners going,going,forget it - 15/01/2002 21:07

WOW seems like the tuner(s) modules are reaching $300 at auction. It would appear maybe bidders think the player comes with it. Judging by the price of players alone, being similiar, somebody will be disappointed.
Posted by: f_devocht

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 03:58

I know the feeling, I payed $250 for one, only to find out I can't install the empeg in my car (Merc with Bose). I would need to run additional wiring and replace the Bose amp. Don't think I want to do that.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 04:01

Are you sure you need to replace the amp there is a few Audi TTs on the board with BOSE sound systems and they jut get an adaptor and plug it in

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 06:30

I'm pretty sure. The problem is that the Mercedes headunit has no pre-outs. So the Bose amp uses its speaker outputs as input. Since the empeg has no speaker outputs I have no way to connect it to the Bose. The 4V outputs of the empeg cannot be used as input for the Bose. Only thing I can do is replace the Bose (which means tearing the car apart to run new wires) or add a 2nd amp between empeg and Bose amp, which is rather silly (and would require new wires too).
I have the unit lying on my dining table for about 2 weeks now, looking for a solution

Frank
Posted by: msaeger

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 07:04

you can get speaker to pre amp level converters

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 10:01

Yes, I know, but I don't need a speaker to pre amp level converter, I need the opposite. I need a pre amp to speaker level convertor and this is commonly referred to as an amplifier
Maybe I'd beller sell the empeg
Posted by: Schorschi

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 12:23

How about getting a new car?

SCNR.

Georg
Posted by: jwickis

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 16:45

It would fetch a good price at auction or here for that matter.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 19:36

DUH! sorry I don't know what I was thinking
Posted by: Yang

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 19:49

Hey f_devocht, check out this page and tell me if that's what you're looking for. In particular is the PDC-LOC which is a conventional line-out converter, but states that it's bi-directional.. Also states that it adapts OEM equipment to Mercedes Benz and Bose systems..
Posted by: altman

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 16/01/2002 22:50

You *should* be able to get a small converter box like this, yes. You need an amp, correct, but it doesn't need to have power - just a decent voltage level output. The inputs on the bose amp will be high impedance, so little current will flow.

As mentioned, PAC do several boxes, as do Soundgate.

Hugo
Posted by: Speedy

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 20/01/2002 12:31

I took two $5 amplified speaker sets, ripped out the amps, and put them in a project box. It cost me about $15 total and they sound good. The THD is 0.2%, which is not bad for a $5 speaker set. I had to add 10k pull-ups after the output coupling caps to keep my stock VW amp turned on. The only problem is ground loop noise. I used the RCA outs as the ground for the amps, and that helped. It seems there is current ripple on the DC input to the Empeg, hence the hard drive noise through the ground lead. Are there low-Z caps on the input to the switchers? I may modify my Empeg harness to add a lower impedance ground wire. Has anyone tried this? In reality a differential input for the amps would be best.

Speedy

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 20/01/2002 15:15

Wow, thanks for that link! I never realized (realised?) that these things existed. I'll contact them for more info.
Seems I'll be able to install the empeg afterall ... if it wasn't for that factory dual din nav unit that I'm thinking of installing too ...
Mmm, I can always strip the empeg and install its display in the ashtray.

Re: tuners going,going,forget it - 20/01/2002 15:50

I'll check out Soundgate too, thanks!

Frank