Failed to unmask IDE

Posted by: Anonymous

Failed to unmask IDE - 07/03/2002 10:01

That's what it said while trying to boot up. This has never happened before and it booted up fine on the second try. I'm using 2 beta 11. Is this something to worry about?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Failed to unmask IDE - 07/03/2002 10:11

>That's what it said while trying to boot up.
>Is this something to worry about?

I don't think so (I wrote the kernel code that results in that message). It's a probabilistic thing in the kernel, dependent on how much I/O is going on at the time, with a 3 second timeout.

I suspect the player issues the unmask command at the same time that lots of other disk I/O is happening, and sometimes it just doesn't get done within the three second allowance.

(note that there's been a "fixme" note on that code since the beginning, but nobody's ever gone back and fixed it).

I'll increase the timeout to 6 seconds in the next Hijack kernel.

Cheers
Posted by: Nic

Re: Failed to unmask IDE - 07/03/2002 15:13

My empeg had been getting that message a few times. I had put it down to my rapidly failing IDE cable, which I've since replaced. Since then I haven't seen the message at all. The message never failed to go away without a swift reboot
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Failed to unmask IDE - 08/03/2002 17:33

Thanks
Posted by: Derek

Re: Failed to unmask IDE - 05/06/2002 12:07

Just had this for the first time on my empeg yesterday, running Hijack 271 ... does this kernel have a fix for this in it?