Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......)

Posted by: DarkStorm

Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 05:35

I still have some Custom lenses left for anyone wanting Smoke, Clear or Color Lenses for their Empeg's.

Here is the link to my original post with the info.

Unless order flow becomes constant instead of sporadic like it has since I've been offering them then this will be it.

Get 'em while you can!

Posted by: tonyc

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 07:11

Hey Steve, I got my lenses yesterday, they look great as usual. Thanks for the effort you've put into them.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 12:56

I got mine Wednesday and love it. Great work! I hope more people will purchase them so you can keep producing them.

Plus I want to add that they were shipped fast and packaged very well, not a scratch could be on it.
Posted by: dodgecowboy

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 13:11

I got my smoked lens in yesterday, I love it, excellent craftmanship, thanks
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 13:39

I fully recommend the smoked lens to anyone with green interior lighting (Ford, Subaru, etc). Makes my empeg look like a factory install!
Posted by: mandiola

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 14:38

Hmm.. anyone know if the blue screen would be any of a closer match to my sony receiver then the original screen. The on that came with my empeg looks really green in comparison to the blue sony screen.

-Greg
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 17:43

In the pictures, which one is smoke and which one is clear?
Posted by: newguy1

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 19:39

Anyone got any pictures with the smoke lens?
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 08/03/2002 19:56

Try here. Click on the pictures posted by Terminator. I concur that they are quite accurate in terms of what it looks like. I'm not quite sure that the one next to the PC is the smoke lens though. It looks a little blue. The others are pretty good though.

http://empeg.comms.net/php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=empeg_general&Number=31980&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 09/03/2002 04:53

I smoke clear existing for many colors (blue, red, amber, ...) or is it existing only for one color (green ?) ?
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 09/03/2002 06:59

The smoke is just that, smoke colored (ie greyish). It allows the natural color of the light emitted by the VFD through. This light is white/green - same as is typically seen on consumer video/audio units.

For any other color you need a colored lens - which by definition isn't 'smoke'.
You could of course combine the smoke piece with a inkjet transparency in your wanted color, but the only reason I can see for using the smoke piece instead of the clear in that case would be that you thought the brightness with only inkjet transparency & clear screen was to high...

/Michael
Posted by: rtundo

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 09/03/2002 07:09

The other reason to use it is to match other OEM equipment with a smoked lens such as a travel computer etc.
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 11/03/2002 07:46

Got my smoke lens a few days ago. Awesome! Thanks.

now i just need the WRX to go around the empeg.

Re: Custom Lenses (Going, Going, Gone.......) - 25/03/2002 05:57

Did you check the my link for the colors?

The Light Blue is pretty good. I don't know about matching exactly though.
You should be able to tell better when Tony gets his and puts pictures up in the comparison chart.

Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 25/03/2002 05:59

Noone else wants any of these?
Posted by: drakino

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 25/03/2002 14:00

Fell free to type up a story for RioCar.org about this, it may generate more sales. Quite a few new owners were linked over there, but not here.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 25/03/2002 14:12

Agreed.

I just got the panels from Stephen to photograph for the site, and I have to say they are very high quality and quite excellent. The Smoke panel looks awesome with my backlit buttons.

I hope to have the photography and the site done by this weekend. If the weatherman is to be believed, I should be able to get all the photography done this Saturday morning and the image processing and web editing over the rest of the weekend.

Folks, you should be jumping at the chance to buy these panels, they are great!

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 25/03/2002 14:47

Hmmm! An interesting side-effect of these panels...

Some of the panels (the colored ones, but not the smoke and clear ones), are made of that semi-fluorescent plastic often used for signage. It's the stuff that looks transparent face-on, but the cut edges will spread and reflect light very effectively. If you know the kind of plastic I'm talking about, then you'll know that when hit with light (just about any light), the cut edges practically glow with diffuse light. It's often used as a "poor man's neon" for signage and store displays.

The way Stephen has cut these neon-colored panels, their edges are sculpted to fit into the molded fascia, so the edges around the fascia are this "glowing" neon color.

But that's not the best part...

The best part is that the backlighting for Brian's backlit buttons lights it all up very brightly. It's rather awesome looking. I'll have to do some extra photos this weekend with the lighting turned on. The neon red is rather striking, very entertaining to look at. The VFD image ends up being a rather nice violet shade, the edges of the display have this nice pinkish-neon-red glow to them, and then the buttons are lit up blue. Too cool...

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 25/03/2002 18:33

Well, I'm not much of a writer but I'll take a look at some of the ones already there and maybe I can make a respectable one.

Thanks Tom.
Posted by: eliceo

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 26/03/2002 09:28

im interested in custom lenses, In my car 99 civic, the rio is in a direct sunlight for most of the daylight. I would like to know which colors would provide the best visibility in sunlight.

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 26/03/2002 18:39

It's probably best for one of my customers to answer that since I never use mine in direct sunlight, but also keep in mind that not much is going to perform very well when you pit a VFD against the direct energy of the sun.

Re: Custom Lenses (Still...(Going, Going, Gone......)) - 26/03/2002 18:45

im interested in custom lenses, In my car 99 civic, the rio is in a direct sunlight for most of the daylight. I would like to know which colors would provide the best visibility in sunlight.

If you wait about a week or so, I'll hopefully have Darkstorm's lenses added to my lens comparison chart and you can decide for yourself.

Personally, I anticipate the Smoke and Clear lenses will equal or exceed the green lens pictured there.