Scotland Express

Posted by: thinfourth2

Scotland Express - 10/06/2002 04:25

Going to head over to the amersfoort met from the uk

Who is intrested in a seat in the car to share costs.
Posted by: h_blake

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 04:28

I will be leaving from Bedford on Friday morning heading for Harwich and have a couple of spare seats if anyone is interested.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 04:43

Not going via Calais this time, then?

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 05:27

No - the distance prize is a lost cause and the Harwick-Hook sailing times work well now that the meet is more than one day.

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 05:37

How much the ferry costing from there then?
Posted by: rob

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 06:26

We paid 179 including VAT per car for a family break which includes return travel on the HSS for up to five people in a vehicle, returning within five days.

You can't travel on a Friday or Saturday with that fare.

Rob

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 06:46

Going on Friday it is £175 for the car and driver plus £26 for each additional passenger (and an extra £7 to get into the posh lounge thingie).
Posted by: boxer

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 07:45

Surely if you're coming from Scotland, Hull to Rotterdam on P&O North Sea Ferries is going to be your best bet. 21.00 hours arriving at 8.00, each day, each way. Just sorry that you can't pick me up on the way past - previous engagement!

Addenda: I've just seen on the Dutch tourist board website that you can do Newcastle-Amsterdam overnight, its not a service I'm familiar with.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 14:45

>and an extra £7 to get into the posh lounge thingie).

Mmm.. for crossing the channel wouldn't the nicer side of the ship be soph, instead of posh?

(P.O.S.H. = Port Out, Starboard Home).

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 14:45

Hi there the guy i was going to share costs with has had to pull out how would you feel to taking my car instead this year as hopefully i have a shot at the amatuer install.

Drop us some mail at paul.allison(at)btinternet.com

Or tell us what sailing you are taking and i can follow in my car but would make more sense to take mine.
Posted by: rob

Re: Scotland Express - 11/06/2002 18:38

Hopefully it won't go anywhere near the English Channel, but the joke holds true for the North Sea as well I guess

Rob

Re: Scotland Express - 12/06/2002 01:11

North Sea? Surely it refers to going through the Suez canal to India, but you probably knew that!

Re: Scotland Express - 12/06/2002 01:47

Paul,
We are booked on the 10:40 outward sailing on Friday and 16:00 return on Sunday. Having taken the best part of half an hour to convince the Stena Line system to take my booking, I don't want to mess with it too much!
We are leaving Bedford at 6.45 which should get us to Harwich an hour before the sailing. You could head over to Bedford Thursday evening if you wanted to - beer, movies and crashing space are available.
Posted by: peter

Re: Scotland Express - 12/06/2002 02:23

North Sea? Surely it refers to going through the Suez canal to India, but you probably knew that!

Yeah, I guess the idea was that going to India you want to be in a north-facing cabin to avoid the heat, but in the North Sea you want to be in a south-facing cabin to avoid the cold...

Peter
Posted by: F0X

Re: Scotland Express - 12/06/2002 04:05

As far as I know, the common belief that POSH represents Port Out, Starboard Home is actually incorrect. The term was first used in the early 1900s, and the acronym was not used until the 30s; after the word was already in use.

Re: Scotland Express - 12/06/2002 07:37

I didn't know she was that old.