Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR?

Posted by: JeepBastard

Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 10:10

Whathave you named your EMpeg? What name did you assign to it.

I have a Mark1.. It's name is Rock Steady
I also have a Mark2a.. It's name is Shark, which is the logo of my company (http://www.mediathreat.com)
Posted by: drakino

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 10:19

I keep a dragon naming scheme for most of my things:

Dragoncar is the 60gb in the car
Dragonwhelp is the 10gb used around the house.
They sync music from Dragonsden (main system), or Dragonbook (laptop). And the new syncer has been Dragoncube (my G4 Cube). PocketDragon is with me from time to time (my iPaq).
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 11:05

Greetings!

My office / car unit is named Traveller. This is based on a few different music references (The Morrigan, Three Hour Detour, etc.), usually relating to an individual undergoing a constant journey, encountering strange things along the way.

My home unit is named Hermit. Based more on my particular style, and imagery from Led Zeppelin IV. It is also my master unit for playlist and software loading, that is then transported to the others.

My spare is called LabRat. All of my experiments happen on this box, including any type of tampering with software that would affect the music partitions occurs here. Also, it tends to be boxed for most of the time.
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 11:18

Mine's called 'Lucy'.

This is because my main machine is called 'Snoopy', my laptop is called 'Woodstock', and my Linux router is (of course) called 'Linus'.

So Linus & Lucy both run Linux, and Snoopy & Woodstock both run Win2k.

Now if I had an Apple Mac, I'd probably call it 'Charlie Brown'...

Cheers,

A.
Posted by: DeadFire

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 11:37

I tend not to name things anymore. I had 3 cars which all had names (Betty, Jamie, and Emma), and they all had a sad end. Now I've had my new car for 4 months and haven't named it yet. Sort of afraid to - think I jinxed the first 3 and that's why I had problems.

I haven't come up with a name for my empeg... and I had problems anyway. Go figure. Can't wait to get it installed in the car.
Posted by: willebear

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 11:59

mine's name is:

"Will's Rock Box"

just thought it had a nice ring. i will probably change it to a girl's name like "Lucille" or something. just sounds a little more classy
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 12:01

Sanity
no guesses as too why

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 12:05

Dammit, that's perfect. Wish I had thought of it first. Can't use it now... but I could come up with something along similar lines...
Posted by: xanatos

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 13:15

I haven't named my empeg as of yet. But I use a Dark Tower theme for all my boxen.

Roland is my colocation box, oy is my laptop, tull is my linux box and blane is my main box :P

Hummm *thinks of a name for the empeg*
Posted by: MisterBeefhead

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 14:02

"Jake" would seem to be the obvious choice...
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 14:40

Well, I've really only named my backup empeg - it's called "Number Two" which is rather descriptive. I havn't figured out, however, if main empeg will be called Dr. Evil or Number One... Once it gets back from repair and goes into regular circulation things may become more clear...

Matthew
Posted by: JeffS

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 16:33

Mine's named 'The Rush Machine' due to the wonderful image Tony provided us and the fact that thats what it plays 50% of the time (ok, maybe only 25% of the time). It's actually sort of just a joke on myself really.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 16/06/2002 22:34

Current name is Sasquatch. It was the name I was going give my newest cat , butI decided it didn't fit his personality. Hate to waste a decent name, so I gave it to the empeg. I'm tempted to rename it to Bob, though -- Bucket of Bits.
Posted by: Dava

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 17/06/2002 02:29

Can't believe noone calls it Peggy, seems so obvious.

I have the very descriptive Silver32 in the car and Black20 in the rack at home.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 17/06/2002 03:34

Mine is called "The Penguin" after a line in the film, The Blues Brothers. It's easy to say things like: "Have you seen the Penguin, I don't know where I put it down".
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 17/06/2002 03:43

mine is named 'digital.halo'
Posted by: Roger

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 17/06/2002 03:55

Mine are called toothgnip and crowley.
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 17/06/2002 04:08

In reply to:

and crowley

Now that's a good book!

A.

Posted by: andym

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 17/06/2002 05:11

As you can see from my sig, my players are called Barry and Roy. There's no real reason for these names, seeing everyone has really cool names for their units I thought have something that was a bit odd. But then again, I do have a cat called Steve...
Posted by: fede

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 12:24

Mine is named tepin. All of my computers are named for chili peppers. jalapeno, tabasco, serrano, chipotle, piquin, etc. A tepin is a very small wild pepper with a VERY powerful punch.

It seemed appropriate to me.

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 15:40

WHat about Peri-Peri? (peppers)
Posted by: elinenbe

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 15:51

Mine is called "Empeg -- The Sinjin Smith Renegad All-Star Teenage Heart Throb"

Enjoy,
Eric
Posted by: BAKup

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 17:44

My player is named Valentine, and I named my father's player Bean. I'll give the person who can tell me where those names are from a cookie...Two cookies if you can tell me the name of my laptop also.

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 17:56

I'd bet money the laptop's name is Ender - anyone ever read Ender's Game or its sequels? I feel so special.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 17:59

Hey did you hear they're gonna make a movie of that?

(Means I won't have to read the books... )

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 18:05

You should read the books. And from time to time I've been going back to Hatrack River to check up on the movie status... but I know there won't be any significant updates for a while in that area - last I read it was going to take at least 2 more years to get ready to start filming. I've been watching that bit of news for 2 years now.

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 18:23

/me gives 2 cookies to DeadFire.

That was fast. I didn't think there would be any big fan of the series here I'll need to make more obscure names next time

My webserver is named Jane of course

And Tony, read the first book at least, it's good. I'm fearful of the movie being another Starship Troopers

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 18:28

It won't happen. Especially to the first book. There's quite a bit where the kids will have to do some acting... the only thing that will have to be CGI is the battles, of course. But remember the whole book isn't the battles...

I'm tempted to name my empeg Peter now.

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 18/06/2002 18:58

That's what I named my Windows box

Posted by: Legoverse

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 01:01

Of course:

With a related alternate image expousing the bachelor lifestyle.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 02:22

Mine are called empeg and empeg, but then I'm not one for anthropomorphising. When referring to them on my network they are x.x.x.48 and x.x.x.49.

Boring, huh.

Just remembered, I did once have an Audi called Patsy and a Scoob called Jodie. And I got an Ibanez at the weekend called Joe (well it has Joe Satriani written across it, so I guess...) Ah, well - maybe I should give there babies names after all.

Posted by: dglidden

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 08:10

Chiana: She's blue, cute and can be the best companion or a real troublemaker.

I keep toying with calling the other one Zhan, but I don't want anything to happen to her.
Posted by: ximenes

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 08:40

Since I have a RioCar, I named mine Janero. Get it?

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 11:10

WHat about Peri-Peri? (peppers)

I have never heard of Peri-Peri. (peppers) Where are those from?
Posted by: Satan_X

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 16:36

Simplot.....Don't understand? You need to listen to more Negitiveland, namely the 'Helter Stupid' album.

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 17:43

peri-peri - african peppers.. The portuguese use them alot, can also be found in south african cooking as well.

Nando's chain of resturants in canada and europe feature peri peri dishes.

I live in NYC, Brooklyn where there is neither Nando's nor peri peri.

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 19/06/2002 17:56

I don't know about them, but there are tons of names to be had from just the ones available here in the America's. I live in Texas and we have an abundance of them here and in Mexico.

Our kitchen features tons of pepper dishes. Mostly jalapeņo, serrano, peqin and havaņero.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 20/06/2002 10:48

Naaah, there's more Speakers here than you would imagine, I suspect.

I first remember reading the short story version (1984?) and was so impressed I started buying O S Card, and have done ever since. There's been a few duffers, but the Ender series has been pretty consistently good.

I'm impressed if they are making a film, but they would definitely need either Paul Verhoeven or Ridley Scott to direct
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 20/06/2002 10:50

Oh, I forgot: I called mine Emma and Erik (since they are both Empegs). The Jupiter (Rio Central/HSX109) is called Julie, and the Receiver is called Ronny.
Posted by: mafisto

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 20/06/2002 12:37

My empeg's name is Squawk. He used to live in Felice (my TT) but is being moved to Sharky (my Celica).

Absolutely no consistency when I name things, it is what it is.
Posted by: butter

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 20/06/2002 14:12

I tend to name things after characters in the comic "Bloom County"

Opus - My Current PC, because its big, slow, and takes up space

Hodge Podge - My empeg, because it "hops" from my car to my stereo system (fyi: Hodge Podge is a rabbit)

Milquetoast - My PDA, because it's small and i've dropped it a couple of times and it won't die (fyi: Milquetoast is a roach)
Posted by: genixia

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 20/06/2002 14:15

It's offical - I have no imagination. I haven't named it yet.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 20/06/2002 14:23

I have no imagination

You and me both. My empeg is called empeg_60 (Mk2 - 60B) and any RioCar I have is called riocar_**.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Do you have a name for your EMPEG/RIOCAR? - 21/06/2002 14:28

Ok, so I am a little slow getting around to this thread.

My home PC's are called Thing 1 and Thing 2. I have named 2 of my empegs, the MKl is named Jake and the 40GB MKll is called Elwood (I like the blues). I haven't named my other MKll because it is still sitting in a box. I'll have to come up with a name for him and reserve it.