Winamp with Empeg, Sync error?

Posted by: AlB

Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 09/07/2002 21:02

I have my empeg all networked, it reads writes and accesses thru IE directly (very cool). But when I put the address of the player into winamp it comes back with a sync error?? I would assume since Ican connect thru IE that winamp would have no issues...but I am a rookie to this (amazed I've got this far!!)

I read Archeons issues but don't think I have a proxy server (set to detect automatically) and there is no place to exempt addresses.... running w2kpro and latest hijack
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 09/07/2002 22:05

You don't put the address of the player into WinAmp.

You open the player's address in a web browser, then click on one of the play or stream icons on the web page that appears.

If you have properly associated MP3 and M3U files with WinAmp, the act of clicking on them in the web browser will open WinAmp and begin playing or streaming the file in question.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 01:32

I don't know as there is a mini browser in winamp so this maybe what he means

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 09:57

I can't figure out how to hand-enter an address in the WinAmp minibrowser, so I dont think that's it.
Posted by: DeadFire

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 09:59

The WinAmp minibrowser is really more like a skin for IE. Ctrl+O will pop up a box in which you can enter a URL.

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 10:03

Ah. OK, that works. Does not produce an error, I can click on songs in the Hijack web pages using the WinAmp Minibrowser just fine and they work.

I think what he was trying to do was to enter the Empeg's IP address into the "play location" box in WinAmp, rather than trying to surf to the web page.
Posted by: DeadFire

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 10:06

Oh. I'm pretty sure WinAmp will only stream mp3s from internet-type addresses. Probably HTTP only.

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 10:12

Right, WinAmp streams just fine from the HTTP server on the empeg.

The thing is, at the exact address HTTP://my.empeg.address , there's nothing to stream. If you enter that address into the "play location" box in WinAmp, you get the error message "Error syncing to stream".

You have to browse to the root web page and locate a specific song to play. Only after you click on one of those songs or playlists (for example http://my.empeg.address/?fid=101&ext=.m3u ), only then can it locate and play a stream.
Posted by: AlB

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 10/07/2002 22:37

Yeah THat was the issue, Still learning here.. Thanks Tony. Now Streaming away with Empeg on Winamp. This is about the coolest thing ever!! Couple of questions:

Building a SV24 box for my home entertainment (has TVout built in) and was wondering if there were a BIG FONT version of winamp that could be read across the room/ Or any other program.

Also is there any potential for hacking in to the empeg from outside? I have a Lynksys router with a NAT firewall AND Norton software. IS the Empeg vulnerable?
Posted by: Roger

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 11/07/2002 03:54

You can double the size of the Winamp dialog -- press Ctrl+D
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Winamp with Empeg, Sync error? - 11/07/2002 06:38

Or click on the little "D" to the left of the spectrum analyzer.

It increases the size of the main Winamp window and the equalizer, but not the playlist. You can set the font size of the playlist seperately.