centre screw in the back of the sled

Posted by: Aragon

centre screw in the back of the sled - 14/07/2002 11:41

Hi,

I was wondering for what the screw socket in the back of the sled was intended. I can't find any documentation on it. I thought maybe it's to attach a grounding wire, but is this necessary on an Mk2?

Thanks,
Aragon
Posted by: andym

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 14/07/2002 11:45

I think most people have used this to secure the back of the sled to the car body/dashboard once installed. I've not grounded my sled...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 14/07/2002 11:59

The back screw is a for a certain special kind of mounting point in some cars. It supports the back of the chassis so that it doesn't droop down inside the dash on those vehicles.

Haven't you noticed that almost all other aftermarket stereos also have a screw hole in exactly the same place?

It can, if desired, also be used as an attachment for a grounding wire. However that was not its original main purpose.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 14/07/2002 13:27

The back screw is a for a certain special kind of mounting point in some cars

Like in the attached picture. Rubber knob mounts on stud screwed into cradle,
knob fits into hole at the centre back of the DIN opening. My Polo has a double DIN opening, empeg mounted at the top, you can see the hole at the back of the lower DIN opening. Of course, an ordinary back strap (perforated metal strip) can be attached if no such special arrangements exist in the car.

/Michael
Posted by: Aragon

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 14/07/2002 15:26

Thanks to all. My empeg is my first (and only) car stereo that hasn't been preinstalled before purchasing my car, so I'm not sure how other mounting sleds look

Regards,
Aragon
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 14/07/2002 15:28

well trust me most of them don't look like an empegs espcially the ones that came with the mk2 which where stainless
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 18/07/2002 06:11

Yea like how I did mine, attached.

JaBZ
Posted by: ElectricD7

Re: centre screw in the back of the sled - 18/07/2002 06:47

I used that point for a grouding wire since my sebrings ground wire wasnt part of the harness, but a separate wire with attached eye connector. Worked perfectly once I had the right screw and washer.