Empeg sleds without wire harness

Posted by: robricc

Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 08:42

I may be able to fabricate an empeg sled. I do not have the wire harness or connectors, so it would just be the metal piece.

I asked Rob for a drawing of the sled, but I never got a reply. So, the sled will take a bit more effort to make. Plus, it will result in the death of an original sled. Before undertaking such a project, I would like to gauge interest.

First, I would like to say that the aim is to get a 100% replica of the originals. Second, I have a million-dollar powder paint facility here, so it would be possible to paint the sleds. We mainly paint in black and white, but it is possible to do custom colors. Third, target price for unpainted sleds is between $50 and $75 (excluding shipping).

If you would be interested in something like this:
REPLY TO THIS THREAD
Please, no not send me email or private messages at this point. Thanks.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 08:59

I couldn't afford to buy one now, which is the same reason that I didn't buy one before, but I would definitely be interested in general.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 09:17

Definitely interested. I have two connectors on order from Shonky, and have acquired some DIN size sleds from old stereos, but they'll require modification to work right. It'd be nice to get some the right size with the holes in the right places.
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 10:19

What would be neat would be a half-sized sled, just big enough to fit the back end of the player into, kind of like a docking station..
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 10:40

Just like wfaulk, I can't afford one right now, but when money comes my way, it would be a great direction to throw it in.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 11:08

I could really use some... when the store closed, I had no extra money to get some... so this would be great!

edit: So if they were powder coated, wouldn't it get scratched up from inserting and removing the player? Unless you powercoat that too.... I know the powdercoat finish on my bike doesn't like scraping up against rocks when I crash
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/08/2002 12:39

I would be interested too.

Stu
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 10/08/2002 17:12

rob count me in, if i could get a black one that would be so great. if you need some donations or what not for the inital products email me and i can paypal you some money. or ill send it some other way since i remember u hating paypal :-)
Posted by: DeadFire

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 10/08/2002 17:46

I would be interested. I'd like to get together the parts for a home docking station.
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 10/08/2002 20:35

I would like two.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 10/08/2002 22:46

Ok, I will try to get this going this week. I don't need money up front. I just wanted to get an idea of how many I should make up on the first run.

Black seems like the obvious choice for someone that would like them painted. Thankfully, this is our standard color and we paint in black nearly every day. On a side note, we use textured black paint for durability, so the paint should stay on quite well.

Justin, yes I do hate PayPal.
Posted by: RobRoy

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/08/2002 19:05

Put me down for two, please.

Thanks
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/08/2002 13:48

Count me in for a couple Rob.
Posted by: MMorrow

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/08/2002 19:03

Rob -
Please put me down for one in black. ...Mark
Posted by: munkworks

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/08/2002 11:26

Rob,
Are you able to punch or mill or whatever the mating connector's shape in the back of the sled ? I know you stated that you would build it as close to an original as possible; I'm just curious how close.
When you work it out, I would like to find out what a black powdercoated sled will cost. I could potentially use 3 or 4.
Thanks for creating a solution for a fundamental problem when you have more cars than Empegs !

Lars.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/08/2002 12:40

Yes, the mating connector hole will definitely be punched in the back.

There will potentially be an ethernet bracket and an "expansion panel." The expansion panel would presently be used for a toslink docking connector.
Posted by: altman

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/08/2002 22:27

I've just emailed you the .dxf of the sled design which I just found... hopefully this will help!

I don't plan to give these out generally, but there is a shortage of sleds and so it's useful that someone who may be able to make more gets the design!

Hugo

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/08/2002 06:45

Thank you very much. This will likely allow for a sled or two to make it to the Cincinnati meet. It also prevented the untimely death of an original empeg sled. I would have hated to see it dismantled.
Posted by: fede

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/08/2002 12:46

Rob,

When you decide how to set up the official list please let us know. I am interested as well. The quantity I buy will be directly related to the final price. I can see buying about three of them if I can afford that many.
Posted by: jbrinkerhoff

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/08/2002 07:28

I'd be interested in at least one, and I KNOW my cousin, who has bitched since empeg closed down, would be in for one or three.

Anyone in the US planning on doing a group-buy for the connectors? Someone feel like making the wiring harnesses?

If I had some more spare time Id give it a shot, crimping all those pins would be a pain in the ass though (by hand).

BTW, The first thing I did to my empeg sled before installign it was to paint it with three coats of "matte black" paint. Just hardware variety. It has held up VERY well, and looks SO much better than pain metal when the empeg is out.

-Jeff

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/08/2002 07:35

Anyone in the US planning on doing a group-buy for the connectors? Someone feel like making the wiring harnesses?

I was looking in to that. It's not that the connectors are expensive, it just takes time to wire them up. For that reason, I would probably keep the wire harnesses a seperate purchase from the sleds.
Posted by: jamville

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 24/08/2002 19:43

Rob,

I would be interested in acquiring two or more.

Thank you,

Joe Mumme

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 24/08/2002 22:22

Trust me. Wiring up a lot a connectors takes a long time. Particularly since it's not just 1 wire per pin. i.e. cut to length, strip, crimp and clip into plug. Because pins are shared between the serial port and others, it's quite time consuming. I even have a blister on my hand from my ratchet crimp tool.

I'm about 80% of the way through my first batch of 40 connectors. Those reading this who have already paid, I hope to start sending them out mid next week.
Posted by: jarob10

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 02:35

I would like 2 units.
Posted by: thedon

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 04:07

How much would you charge for a single connector?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 04:12

A single connector with all 24 pins but no harness was US$13 plus postage. I don't have any spares left though. If you like I can add you to my list of latecomers in case anyone backs out. Send me an email to the address in my profile if you want to go on my list.

Sorry Rob, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 04:17

Yep, add me in for two, also, where can I find some sleds?
Posted by: talmou

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 04:21

Can you put me down for 1 sled as well please.

Thanks

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 04:35

Wait a minute... Did you say no harness? Or in otherwords, does that mean that there will be no wires comming out of it at all? What would I have to do to connect it to power/RCA, etc? (Sorry if I sound like an idiot, I just wanna know what I'm getting myself into here...)
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 09:37

Crimp/solder your own choice of wires to the pins in the connector.

/Michael

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 09:43

also, where can I find some sleds

The originator of this very thread, robricc, is planning to produce the metal part of the sled.
If you don't want to wait for that, talk to your car audio places and see if they have anything lying about that could be modified. Scrap yards/car demolition/recycling places might be resources worth checking out...

/Michael

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 17:46

But it will come with the pins (is what I'm getting at)?

And yes, I realize that the person who started this thread was going to be making some sleds. Keyword "going to be" I'm curious if someone has already done this as I would like to get started on this project right away.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/08/2002 18:42

The sled consists of 3 major parts.

1) The metal cage
2) The plug and pins which is screwed to the metal cage
3) The wiring harness with all the inputs/outputs

Rob is only talking about 1
I did a group buy of 2 and am manufacturing 3 for those who wanted them.

Nobody has made 1 or 3 before now apart from Sonicblue/empeg. Someone mentioned using an old pullout sled from some other brand of radio though for 1.

HTH
Posted by: bjoern

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 28/08/2002 06:17

Put me down for two unpainted ones. I have conectors and wiring harnesses on order from shonky, so the sleds would be perfect!
Posted by: tman

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 28/08/2002 06:19

I'd be interested in two black sleds.

- Trevor
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 30/08/2002 06:41

I'd be interested in 1 unpainted sled..

JaBZ
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 31/08/2002 21:06

Hey I would be interested in one too, and I already made my connector for it SEE

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 04/09/2002 12:29

UPDATE: Sadly, our metal shop guy just quit. It may be longer to get this done if it happens at all.

I am still hopeful, but we'll see.
Posted by: maniac8888

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 06/09/2002 09:53

Well, if you get this going again, count me in for one sled.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 06/09/2002 18:56

Well, the Home Docks will happen (as soon as the weather gets nasty here again), so perhaps they'll at least partially fill the need here.

Cheers

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/10/2002 13:39

New Development!

I may have a prototype by next week! Just letting you guys know that this is still being developed. I'll keep the board posted.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/10/2002 14:03

w00t!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 28/10/2002 09:45

Can't wait to get new sleds! I already got some generic sleds, but it's a PITA to get them to fit right! Originals would be perfect!!!!
Posted by: sphengali

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/11/2002 20:06

Yes, I would love another sled - do you think you will be able to fabricate the wiring harness too, though? If not, does anyone know where we can order one from?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 04/11/2002 14:35

The wiring harness should be easy for us to do. However, I would not want to step on Shonky's turf. I will have to find out if he has plans of getting another group buy together. For now, I am focused on making the metal piece. Hopefully I will have something to show tomorrow.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 07/11/2002 07:02

Tomorrow? That was two days ago? Not that I'm impatient or someting... :-)

/me biting my nails, tapping my foot, druming with the fingertips, picking my nose, standing up, walking around the chair, sitting back down...

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 07/11/2002 08:07

Yes I realize this. I am kicking myself right now for saying I would have a prototype at a certain date. Right now I can say that I will have a prototype soon. Thankfully, the factory (my company's factory) is busy with orders again.

I will have something soon though.
Posted by: RickD

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 07/11/2002 09:58

Rob -

Several of us want docking sleds. I would think that it's more important that you take your time and do the job right than hurry because you're being pressured. When you're complete, drop me a line.

Rick

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 10/11/2002 22:28

I totally agree! Don't feel pressured by people who are getting anxious to swap their empeg around places (who was that idiot anyway )!

Ok, seriously, though: I wasn't pressuring you to *make* something, only to *show* it to us, once you have something (you said you might have something to show).
I thought you had made a prototype and just hadn't gotten around to show it to us. If it's not done, don't worry, take your time and make it a good one!
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/11/2002 12:24

Bump....

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/11/2002 13:05

Yeah yeah yeah. It will happen and hopefully soon. We just have a ton of lighting products to get out first (thank god).

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/11/2002 13:38

I understand, well not really but I'll pretend that I know what its like to produce thousands of units under deadline... Anyway I just wanted to keep the thread alive. Did you get the prototype made or photographed?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/11/2002 13:39

The second I have anything of interest, I will be taking pictures.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 15/11/2002 00:13

Hey, even if you don't have anything of interest, you can still post pictures. Pictures! I demand to see pictures!

Uhhh...

OkayBye.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 15/11/2002 07:38

OK, Here's some pictures...

This is our factory in Stony Point, NY. Times Square Lighting was started in the early 1930s by my great grandfather.

This is about 1/3 of the factory floor. This section is mainly dedicated to final assembly and packing.

This is our multi million dollar automated powder paint line. Some of the soon-to-be-made sleds will be painted in here.

This is David working one of the bending machines in the older part of the factory. I can't find a picture of our CNC machines on my hard drive, so maybe I will take one later.

I hope I satisfied your desire for pictures.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 15/11/2002 07:51

Alright cut it out that's the second time in as many days that I've had to wipe Dr. Pepper of my monitor....

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 15/11/2002 10:46

I found them fascinating, Rob. I've never been in a light factory.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/11/2002 22:59

Oooh, cool. Nice to see something that makes my desk look neat and tidy!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/12/2002 13:17

UPDATE: Just ordered the tool needed to punch the tabs. Should have that by Monday. I will hopefully have a prototype on Tuesday or so.....

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/12/2002 13:45

Excellent.... cooler than free Dr. Pepper.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 09:09

Ok, empeg sled may get punched today, but not bent. So, a picture of a finished product may not be 'till next week. But, here is the next best thing:

Click here to see an interactive 3D drawing of our sled design (Please read the rest of this post first though)

When you click the above link, a SolidWorks 2003 viewer will automatically be downloaded and installed on your system. You must be using at least IE 5 for this to work. If you do not want this viewer (uninstallable through Add/Remove programs), then do not click the link.

The original sled design had to be redesigned a bit to work on our machines, so it may look a bit different to you. Have fun!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 10:26

Too bad the installer for SolidWorks pagefaults when I say "yes" to install it...

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 10:32

Hmm... It uses MSI, so maybe your installer is out of date?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 10:39

It doesn't even get far enough to invoke MSI, it just page faults after I hit "yes, trust content from SolidWorks".

If this is an MSI problem, then I will say that this is the best example yet of why MSI is such a stinking pile of dog shit.

Sorry. Bad mood this morning. Working on it.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 10:47

On the system I tested the installer on, I did not have to hit 'yes' to startup MSI. It just went on its own. I am not all-trusting so I am not sure what the dirrerence between yours and my system is. I am using XP Pro here.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 10:51

This is the software that gets installed. You can attempt to download it from there, but you may have to give them your life story. Sorry for the difficulty.

We were thinking of distributing drawings of our real products this way, so the feedback on how this thing doesn't work is actually good.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 10:57

Yeah, I did have to tell them my life story.

Fortunately, every time a web site asks for my life story, it's easy to type:

asfdasdfasghasfyhasFDASD
ASGDSFHGKSADKLJAHSDF
SDJSDLKSDFJTRUIHZSLDGKHJASD
JKLASGLKJSDKJLG

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 11:01

Okay, the eDrawing software installed OK from the full-download installer you linked. The problem was somehow in their ActiveX control for installing from the web. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time.

But now when I click on the link to the CAD itself, the edrawings software comes up and seems to work, but there's no picture displayed of the sled. Blank white window with the X/Y/Z indicator in the corner...

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 11:03

Oh, OK.

The SECOND time I clicked on that link, then it worked. Cool.

Still... wow, that was a lot of trouble to get a 3D drawing up on my screen. Did you say your company was planning ond distributing stuff that way? Ick.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 11:38

Did you say your company was planning ond distributing stuff that way? Ick

Yeah. This is good feedback. This software doesn't seem ready for primetime yet.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 11:46

Not to mention that I can't see it at all since I don't have a Windows machine. And remember that there are a lot of people doing CAD/CAM on Unix machines.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 11:50

Worked flawlessly for me, although it was rather disconcerting that it didn't ask if it was ok to install...it just did it. Which of course was fine, as Rob was nice enough to warn us. I'm using Winblows 98SE with Internet Exploder 6.0.

This may be an idiotic question, but the sled does have a top right? I'm assuming it's just cut away so that we can see the detail of the sled?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 12:18

The sled top is a totally seperate piece that will be welded onto the piece in the drawing.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 12:20

And remember that there are a lot of people doing CAD/CAM on Unix machines.

Our CAD/CAM work has been done in Windows for about 10 years now.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 12:35

Didn't know to whom you were intending to distribute these files.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 13:22

Nice job Rob...loaded perfect the first time with XP Professional.
Posted by: qbasic309

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/12/2002 14:10

Looks good here. Loaded fine with win xp pro. IE 6.0
Posted by: andy

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/12/2002 02:20

Loaded fine here on Win2k, IE6SP1.
Posted by: Cas_O

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/12/2002 02:56

On my old, tired win 98 (not even SE) box with IE6, it installed correctly immediately; did prompt to ask if OK to install.

Impressive piece of work, by the way. If it's not too late, would it be an idea to open up the area right next to the sled connector hole, to allow for Tos-Link and/or RCA SPDIF outputs as per Eutronix' modification?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/12/2002 18:42

Ideas for enhacements are in the works. Docking ethernet, I think, is the most valuable option at the moment. The eutronix toslink will likely be next in line. Docking an RCA connector is probably not a good thing.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/12/2002 19:07

Speaking of which, how hard would it be to do as suggested way back when and replace the mic line for S/PDIF Coax output? Wiring from the Eutronix sound card to the harness within the player I mean, not replacing the pins/wiring on the back of the sled.

Would we even want to try to mount toslink in the sled for repeated removal/insertion? There are transceivers to change a coax signal to optical if you are worried about interference. I think this would be a better approach for those that use the Eutronix for digital output.

But this is just my $.02

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 25/12/2002 20:49

Would we even want to try to mount toslink in the sled for repeated removal/insertion?

I think if you grind the male connector so it doesn't "click" into place, docking toslink should be fine. The difficult part is that I have no Eutronix board and no need to install one. Also, cutting the holes on the empeg itself (I think) can vary from installer to installer. So, wiring the SPDIF to the mic line may be a much better option.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 31/12/2002 01:17

Other than the fact that the installer prompted me to reboot, which I quite normally ignore (and rightfully so, as it wasn't necessary), and the fact that the rear holes are not punched when looking from the front, looks beautiful to me.

As far as CAD ppl operating on non-M$ os', this is apparently more for academic, not scientific review; I doubt there would be much hubub or post-editing.
Posted by: lefty

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 01:31

I want one.
Let me know when they're built...

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 11:28

New 3D drawing:
http://www.tslight.com/misc/empeg_sled/Assem1.htm

Now shows what it will look like with the top cover on.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 12:19

Grr:

Whats this top cover part? Guess I need to find a Windows box to see this on.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 12:21

Top cover was missing from the original 3D model. This one has it attached:

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 12:25

cutting the holes on the empeg itself (I think) can vary from installer to installer. So, wiring the SPDIF to the mic line may be a much better option.

If everyone follows the template provided on the website, it should be consistent. The only one unable to use the hole for TOSlink in your sleds would be me. (The very first installation had the connectors in a slightly different position.)

Stu
Posted by: drakino

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 13:09

Top cover was missing from the original 3D model. This one has it attached:

Ahh, ok. I thought you were talking about some sort of cover for the front hole when the empeg isn't docked. Thanks for the picture, that helps.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 13:11

cover for the front hole when the empeg isn't docked

ahh.... hmmm... that's an excellent idea. Needless to say, the first sleds will be replicas of the original, but there are many doable ideas here.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 15:30

Rob,
Guessing that's a Mechanical Desktop model, from the color/size of the UCS icon. Are you using one of the metal bending packages?

-Zeke

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 15:36

I don't know what you mean. I do not do the metal work or design. All I know is we use, FabriWIN, SolidWorks, and have 2 Strippit mechanical punches.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/01/2003 17:45

I meant the software modeling package used to create the nice image you posted. Solidworks it is then. Thanks.

-Zeke
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/01/2003 21:26

And how about car dock connectors for the sleds? And plans from anyone? How about offering a kit. Dock connector, wires, little connector things that need to be crimped to the wires, and instructions. Now that'd be a deal.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 04/01/2003 02:52

And how about car dock connectors for the sleds?

There was a group buy of connectors (with or with out the wire harness). IIRC (and this is definately hazy...) the organizer (Christian Hack - thank you for the effort!) wasn't all too keen on setting up another round.
You might want to get together with this guy and check the general interest of another group buy...

/Michael

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 04/01/2003 13:31

It is possible that we will have wire harnesses made to go with the sleds. Since metal work is more our thing, sleds come first. I will keep you posted in this forum about the possibility of wireharnesses (I need a couple myself).

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/01/2003 21:38

Sleds are coming.... Larger Pic

These are the first two prototypes. The wire harness on the raw sled is an original empeg part.
Posted by: toutsuite

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/01/2003 22:14

they look great when can we buy them??
Tim

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 01:40

How is the black one made black? Paint? Anodization?

Edit: I reread your original post, and it would seem to indicate paint, but just to be sure....

Reedit: Along with about ten other posts you made. Nevermind.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 03:41

they look good.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 04:29

They should be available for sale very soon. Sales will be done through a Yahoo store, so no PayPal BS to worry about.
Posted by: andym

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 08:42

Just had a search through this thread, is the target price still $75? What about international shipping? How much more for the black one?

Fscking good job on the sleds!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 11:16

How do these differ from the OEM ones? I recall you mentioning that some changes had to be made to allow for manufacturing. They look really close, but then I don't have an uninstalled sled in front of me with which to compare. Anyway, I really like the black one and hope to buy one at some point.

Stu

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 17:27

We think we could sell them for a bit less than that. We ship internationally quite often, so we are able to do it. For price, shipping through the US Postal Service should be cheapest, but we'll see.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/01/2003 17:30

The sleds are very similar to the originals. The only difference (that I know of off hand) is that ours are spot welded instead of tack welded.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 13/01/2003 12:02

Rob showed those to us at CES, they look excellent. Those needing extra sleds can now rejoice! Or pre-joice in anticipation. Or something like that.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/01/2003 09:15

We think we could sell them for a bit less than that. We ship internationally quite often, so we are able to do it. For price, shipping through the US Postal Service should be cheapest, but we'll see.

Since there are likely to be quite a few coming to the UK would it make sense to combine orders and split the package over here rather than paying $15 per sled? I am happy to buy 10 and pass 9 on at cost if there is demand.

Gareth
Posted by: andy

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/01/2003 09:31

I'll probably be interested in one, maybe two black ones.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/01/2003 10:26

Remember that customs will also take a hit anyway...
Posted by: snoopstah

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/01/2003 15:42

Unless you mark the value down. It's not like a DVD - it's a lump of metal, and could indeed probably safely be labelled as a free engineering samples or similar on a customs form.

Not that I approve of things like that at all, of course.

Edit: Gareth, I'd probably be interested (funds at the time permitting) in getting in on a group buy all the same - let me know if you decide to go ahead.
Posted by: FlibblE

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/01/2003 16:20

I'm up for a group buy on a black one also.
Posted by: geekdude

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 28/01/2003 18:04

Interested in one black sled.
I am located in U.S. California.
How much will it cost ?
When can I order one ?

--
Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 28/01/2003 18:12

Ordering will be available soon. Watch this space.

There was an issue with the nipples on the first two sleds that I showed at CES.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/02/2003 06:51

Ordering will be available soon. Watch this space.

Sooooooo....... any news?
Posted by: lopan

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/02/2003 08:19

Depending on price, I'll probably want two black ones
Posted by: loren

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/02/2003 11:33

i got to see one of the black ones at the little meet in SF recently and i gotta back up what everyone's said... WOW. They are super nice. He said they wanted to redo the tabs that hold the empeg tight in the sled as the punches were too small and sharp, unlike the rounded ones on the empeg sled.

They look great though... I'll definitely be picking one up.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/02/2003 00:21

Sorry I haven't been keeping the board posted on these sleds.

OK, Loren is right. The first batch had a problem with the nipples on the floor and ceiling of the sled. This has been fixed on the design, but we cannot punch a new batch at the moment. We are a lighting company, and for some odd reason we have a TON of orders at the moment. Our CNC machines run from 7AM to at least 8PM most nights. Hopefully we can squeeze another run of sleds in soon.
Posted by: dynamix

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 23/02/2003 12:49

When they are ready, I would also like to place an order for a black sled. Muchos Gracias!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/03/2003 12:29

Hmm, it's been quite a while now without news. How's the lighting business doing?
Posted by: mvigneau

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/03/2003 13:38

I am interested in one.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/03/2003 13:59

I'm told monday we might have another run finished. Do not count on this happening though... I'm not.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/03/2003 14:03

Also, we will be doing black sleds before we do raw ones since it seems black is most desired.
Posted by: qbasic309

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/03/2003 14:35

patiently waiting....
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 15/03/2003 10:45

Rob you da man! these sleds are going to be awesome.
Posted by: Gleep

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 15/03/2003 20:38

I would be interested in 2 sleds.

I would also be interested in 2 wire harness's if you or anyone else is able to do them.
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 16/03/2003 02:43

I would be up for a couple of black sleds.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/03/2003 12:26

I'll take 2-3, too (depending on how many you're going to make).
Posted by: fink08

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/03/2003 13:29

I'd be interested in buying 1 black and 1 raw when you can find the time to make them. Thanks!
Posted by: Gleep

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 13/04/2003 19:58

Are the sleds still on hold or did things just not work out?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/04/2003 07:13

Still in the works

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/04/2003 07:43

I keep meaning to ask how resilient the paint is on the black ones. It it really going to stand up to all that metal rubbing it and hitting it?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/04/2003 07:47

It should. Just in case we find that it doesn't we may paint the sleds with covers on the nipples so they remain raw. That way there will be no paint to flake off on the parts that get the most friction.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/04/2003 07:59

I guess I'm more concerned about the outer lip. I've sharpie-ed my original sled's lips many times and it keeps rubbing off. Obviously, the paint you'll be using will be more resilient than Sharpie ink, but the fact that it rubs off, and fairly quickly, does show that it does get rubbed there quite a bit.
Posted by: nrh

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 14/04/2003 10:32

I'll take one.

Anyone have a line on the harness connector? Maybe mcmaster-carr would have them, or somesuch. Wiring it up wouldn't be too bad.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 16/04/2003 06:07

Any rough guesstimations as to when we could hypothetically maybe potentially tentatively get our hands on some?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 16/04/2003 08:50

I don't want to say anymore potential dates. It all comes down to when the machines are free and there is someone here to operate them. Perhaps if I were more macho, I could load the sheet metal myself and stamp it out without getting my fingers chopped off (fingers being chopped off has happened here before).

I am going to push the guys in the factory to get this going before the NY meet, but I cannot say that will happen.
Posted by: Mach

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 05/05/2003 22:04

Please put me down for a black sled. Thanks.
Posted by: csf

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 06/05/2003 08:12

I'd be interested.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 07/05/2003 09:02

Hmmm, robricc, I wondered... are you bribeable? I'd offer you a free wire harness (from shonky) for your sleds if production were to start Actually, if production can't start, I'd swap the harness for one or two black sleds from you (or anyone who has a blank empeg sled).
How about that? :P

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 10:44

OK, I just got a new car. Now I need a new sled, with or without the wire harness. I would prefer black. Are these sleds orderable and if so, how much do they cost with shipping to the U.S. ?

--
Thanks,
Chuck

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 11:59

Orderable soon.

Soon = who the hell knows. Trying my best. I may come in on Saturday to get some made when we have a skeleton crew here.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 12:03

I'll definitely be a taker for a black one... as the bastards who stole my car stole the sled with all the speakers and amps. I've still got the empeg, so it's probably in the garbage somewhere =\. I've had more sleds stolen than anything. heh.

I've gotta source a docking connector too.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 12:10

Just wanted to be sure that I was on the list and
that I had not missed the announcement if they were already shipping or something.

Thanks for the update.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 12:22

There is no list. It's going to be a free-for-all once the first ones are put up for sale. Then more will be made, and so on and so on. Announcement will be made in general and on RioCar when ready.

The last hurdle was overcome last week when the guys finsihed machining a tool to make the nipples.
Posted by: simspos

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 12:51

I've gotta source a docking connector too

Mark Lord should sell you the required parts if you ask really nicely as he's using them currently for his docks.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 13:36

i just realized that after posting. I'm gonna PM Mr. Lord soon. Thanks.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 14:16

Docking connector parts are on their way here. Looking at making harnesses or just bundling the connector and pins with the sleds.

If Mark isn't buying more parts, or is unwilling to sell the connectors keep in mind that I have a bunch coming.
Posted by: Elon

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 08/05/2003 23:58

Count me in for a sled and connector if they should become available.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/05/2003 05:59

Whooohooo! Finally! Can't wait! I got one new speaker in the door ready, the next one's good to go soon; I'm preparing a gauge panel for when I replace the double DIN with the empeg (will go under the empeg) and the subs and amps have been sitting and waiting for this day for almost a year now. The original sled is in my truck, but having the empeg in the Miata will be soooo suh-weeeeeet
Posted by: simspos

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/05/2003 06:37

Looking at making harnesses or just bundling the connector and pins with the sleds

Do yourself a favour Rob and stick the bits in a bag, you don't strike me as a man who really wants to spend his evenings crimping - or maybe you do?

I got mine from Shonky ages ago and I remember him saying what a "bitch" of a job it was and having received it, I'm glad he put it together.

But, on the other hand Mark Lord seems to have got the process set up and is merrily churning them out.
Posted by: mwest

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 09/05/2003 06:38

The sleds are not yet orderable or ever reservable... I really don't think availability is going to be an issue. Price is not firm but a ballpark is sited somewhere in the thread above. Rob will announce a yahoo store when everything is ready.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/05/2003 18:51

Started to punch sleds this past friday but our Strippit machine broke the tool I had to buy specially for the sleds. Nice.

I ordered another tool, so we should be on track to start punching again very soon.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/05/2003 22:03

Sorry to hear about the desaster! I hope it didn't set you back for too much! And if it did, I hope you make a nice profit on the sleds! I'll take 2 or three!!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 02/06/2003 17:43

Any news Rob? Just got the new WRX so i'm itching for that black sled so i can get 'er all empegged up! =]

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 06:30

I will find out. The replacements for the tools that broke should have come in late last week.

I have 50 of the connectors for the back. I guess I will be providing a connector and all the pins needed with each sled order.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 11:36

Will you also have some without connectors? I already have three connectors at home, ready to go into your sleds

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 14:54

Sweet! Now i won't have to bastardize a connector from my home dock. Thanks for the update Rob! I got dibs on the first black sled! =]

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 16:41

I got dibs on the first black sled!
I'm pretty sure they'll all be black. Most of the demand is for black.

I also need a dock for my recently acquired truck, so I am getting pretty impatient as well.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 17:06

I guess I will put an option to order without connectors.

I also have some of the tuner connectors on order. All you need to make a harness will be wire, RCA connectors (available at any Radio Shack), and minimal soldering skills.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 17:13

Sweet. Thanks again for doing all this work Rob. Especially sourcing connectors and pins and tuner connectors. You guys who are doing all this extra work for this community have no idea how much it's appreciated.

*three cheers!*
Posted by: mvigneau

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 03/06/2003 19:24

Hip...HIp...Hooray!!!
Hip...HIp...Hooray!!!
Hip...HIp...Hooray!!!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 08:09

Over 50 sleds punched. Next step is bending, then welding, and finally painting.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 08:12

What metal are you making them out of?

And, to be terribly annoying, is it possible to modify the bendy things for attachment to the dash, or is there simply an unmodifiable punch?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 08:19

Raw ones and black ones are made out of different metal. All of these will end up black, but I don't remember what we used at the moment. I will ask the next time I go out to the factory.

Attached is a picture of the punch that broke a couple weeks back. This is the one that we use to make the tabs. As you can see, we just strike the metal a bunch of times in dirrerent directions to make each tab. How would you like it to attach to the dash?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 08:22

I don't know.

In reality, the one I get from you (hopefully) will be going into a new car , but I had problems with the original one having a lot of tabs but none of them being positioned quite properly. I hadn't had that problem before with other aftermarket stereos I had in that car.

Probably not a big deal.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 09:50

Looks great. I've been trying to avoid the great summer dash tear up until the black sleds became available, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to hold out. Probably about 24 hours after my blutooth car kit gets here.

Matthew
Posted by: mwest

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 09:53

In reply to:

Probably about 24 hours after my blutooth car kit gets here.

Ok.... I've got to have a link for that one.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 10:21

It's a Parrot CK3000. Here's the thread I started. I'll report back once it's installed. UPS Says mine is somewhere between California and Hodgkins, Il.

Matthew

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 10:26

Is it too late to cater for docked ethernet somehow ?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 10:28

Is it too late to cater for docked ethernet somehow ?
Docked ethernet is easy enough to add yourself. My two docking stations with docked ethernet have been doing great.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 12:38

Docked ethernet is not really hard to implement as an add-on, but can be a pain in the butt to get right the first time -- and for many of us, the first time is often the only time.

The method used in the home docks can be adapted for sled use -- basically a precision milled wooden block that positions and holds the RJ45 connector in the Right Place. They're easy enough for me to make, now that the design has been figured out, tried, tested, and true.

I could mill up a bunch of blocks, which people could then just glue into their sled's with cables inserted. "Goop" would work well for this, as would a screw through a hole drilled in the sled. I suppose I could also include an integrated cable and female jack to make things even easier -- pretty much the same as I do in the Home Docks.

The only issue is how to get these to people. I suppose a padded mailer envelope and postage would do it. Total (delivered) cost might be around US$15 or so, which is probably pricey.

Cheers
Posted by: russmeister

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 14:35

The only issue is how to get these to people. I suppose a padded mailer envelope and postage would do it. Total (delivered) cost might be around US$15 or so, which is probably pricey.

[poor recent college graduate]Or you could post the dimensions and materials you used here and let us do it ourselves! [/poor recent college graduate]

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 17:18

I figure that anyone who could do it themselves doesn't need me to figure out the measurements for them!

Cheers
Posted by: cushman

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 17:32

Measure your thumb width, then post the size in MLTU (Mark Lord Thumb Units).

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 19:40

Would that be before, or after, the hammer incident?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 23:15

And before, or after the knife incident? Is that what happened? You smashed yourself with the hammer, and tried to trim it back to size?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 11/06/2003 23:25

In reply to:

would a screw through a hole drilled in the sled.

This was kinda what I had in mind when i posted.

How about the new sleds have a couple of tapped holes, ready to accept the wooden block ?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 06:56

Good idea!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 07:24

How about the new sleds have a couple of tapped holes, ready to accept the wooden block ?
Possible, but not on this batch at least.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 09:45

And the holes shouldn't actually be tapped.. just drilled.

Easy enough to do oneself, too.

Cheers

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 10:31

In reply to:

And the holes shouldn't actually be tapped.. just drilled

would a clearance hole give accurate enough positioning ?

I had imagined a machine screw (+washer) - wooden block - 'avdel' type captive nut

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 10:35

Yes: Insert block w/connector into sled, then dock the player while adjusting the block so that it mates correctly. Then, while still docked, drive wood screws through the holes into the block from behind. Done. Optional step: predrill before driving the screws.

Cheers

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 12:04

ok cool.

alternative design : how about a sort of clamp arrangement which clamped onto the edges of the existing sled cut out. More complex woodworking, but :

- it would be retrofittable to existing sleds
- it would require no machining by the end user

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 12/06/2003 13:15

I'll look into it. But Goop also allows for a "machining free" install!

Cheers

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/06/2003 11:03

Update: Looks like I can have some for the Texas meet.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/06/2003 13:08

I'm leaving for a vacation tomorrow! Please have me down for two black ones without connectors in case they come out before I come back!!!
Pleeeeze?
Posted by: dynamix

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/06/2003 13:29

Wow I cannot WAIT to get my hands on one of those! Very anxious!

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 17/06/2003 16:06

Ditto to that. My WRX install is waiting for it's black sled! Looking good Rob.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 09:18

They have arrived. Watch riocar.org and the general forum for ordering details in a couple days.

Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 09:25

Oooh... That looks sweet... I hadn't planned on ordering any before, but... How hard is it to put a wire harness in it?
Posted by: djc

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 09:26

nice! i don't think you'll have a problem finding a market for these.

--dan.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 09:38

If you have an original empeg harness, you can just unscrew it and then put it back on my sleds. Plug and play.
Posted by: phi144

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 09:52

I agree,

I haven't felt the need for a new sled. Epecially since I have a new original still in the box, but I like the black so maybe...

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 10:08

I like the black too. That would be the only reason to get one for me. Did you say it was powdercoat?

Stu

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 10:39

Did you say it was powdercoat?
Yes

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 18/06/2003 12:07

*drools*

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/06/2003 10:24

http://www.spmicro.com/store

Sale prices will be good for all orders placed before 9AM Friday morning eastern time.

I'm doing pre-order because the sleds are done, but some packing material has not shown up yet. It should be here tomorrow (friday) or monday next week.

I will have at least 3 sleds with me at the Texas meet this weekend. If you're coming to the meet and want to save shipping costs, you can buy there at the sale price.

OK, I think that's it.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/06/2003 10:38

There's now a "Sleds" entry in the bar of links at the top of this page.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 19/06/2003 10:42

Thank you sir.
Posted by: NasalGoat

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 20/06/2003 14:55

$30 FOR S&H!?!?!

Does it include a blowjob?!?!

Shipping can't be more than $5...
Posted by: genixia

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/06/2003 06:27

I suppose that Rob could stick it in a grocery bag and shove it through USPS for you if that's what you really wanted. Good luck getting your empeg to fit in a flat sled though.

Posted by: NasalGoat

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/06/2003 06:59

It's a big piece of bent steel. It's not like it needs a lot of packaging and bracing.

A box to put it in is about $2 at ripoff places like Mailbox Etc. and the actual shipping cost can't be more than $5. Does it even weigh a pound?

$30US is a lot for shipping. I'd say $20 of it is handling, and if there is that much work in shipping it, why isn't it in the initial purchase price?

And why doesn't the site say something about $30 shipping before you go through the process of ordering?

You're not at all concerned that the shipping cost almost doubles the cost of the item?
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/06/2003 07:12

Rob,

How much is international shipping for a black sled ?

Thanks!
Posted by: Mach

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/06/2003 07:47

Apparently the extra $20 is tied to shipping to Canada. I've got 2 sleds and a harness on order and shipping and handling is $9.25 to PA. IIRC, Rob's at the Texas meet this weekend. He should be able tell you about the difference when he gets back.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/06/2003 08:28

I still find it rather peculiar that shipping things from within the USA to the outside is so expensive! Going the other way, at least from Canada, is very very cheap by comparism.

Cheers
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 21/06/2003 08:29

Perhaps the decline of the US$?

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 22/06/2003 22:36

Go to USPS.gov and take it up with them. A packaged sled weighs about 3-4 pounds. Unless you can wait a month or two, that is the cheapest price.

I could also ship UPS or Fedex but that is a minimum of $49. I shipped out 2 sleds to someone in the UK via UPS and it cost $62 for the one package. And no, I am not going to Mailboxes Etc. We have a UPS shipping terminal in-house, and get a discounted rate on top of that.

None of the shipping prices are intentionally inflated. In fact, within the US, I am shipping via UPS and am taking a bit of a loss on anyone that is ordering their sled shipped to a residential address.

The last thing I'm trying to do is fleece the empeg community. I have been a member of this BBS far too long to let sleds affect how people view me. I don't want what happened to Darkstorm happening to me.

PS - Anything outside the US is charged the same amount for shipping, so there is nothing dynamic hapening there. I forget what country I used for the $25 figure, but it was either UK or NL. Once I start sending out the sleds and actually go to the post office, I will have a better idea of what the actual cost is. If it turns out to be significantly less, I will offer refunds to people who have already placed an order.

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 23/06/2003 05:02

>A packaged sled weighs about 3-4 pounds.

Wow! Are these of a beefier metal than the originals? Or just very ruggedly packaged to survive the USPS?

A packaged Home dock masses about 1.4KG --> around 3 pounds, and ships from here to the USA for between CAD$10 and CAD$15, plus packaging costs.

The rest of the world is a flat rate CAD$35.50 for 7-10 day airmail.

We seem to have a much cheaper postal service here, for whatever reason.

Cheers

Re: Empeg sleds without wire harness - 23/06/2003 05:45

I don't know. That's just what it came out to. It may be the packing material we're using. We have that foam stuff that expands to conform around the product.