Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB)

Posted by: pgrzelak

Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 08/05/2004 15:25

Greetings!

Well, I put in the bulk order, and I should have a large number of memory upgrade sets (100) arriving to me by 12 May. I should have enough for everyone that wants them.

These are upgrade chips for the Mark 2A models. The chips are made by Micron, part number MT4LC4M16R6TG-5. These are the same chips that are being used in the first Mark 2A upgrades today. The chips are sold in sets of two (you need two for the upgrade from 16->32MB). They will be shipped via boring USPS First Class mail.

The price of the set is $33. I am not trying to make money on this. My costs are: 2 * $15.45 for the chips (not including shipping to me), $0.37 for the stamp, $1.21 PayPal fees. The rest is for envelopes and for anyone needing more than one stamp...

To order, send a PayPal payment (or email for alternatives) to my primary email: pgrzelak(at)verizon(dot)net. Please make sure that you have a current shipping address in the message somewhere. Also, please have "memory" and the number of sets you want somewhere in the subject line. My apologies for making this more challenging, but with everything else going on (tech support spheres, ebay, etc), this simplification will make my life a bit easier.

Please note, you will receive two chips in their tape packaging. Installation is your problem...

Thanks!
Posted by: jarob10

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 08/05/2004 19:34

Can you give a total price to include international shipping (to UK) via USPS please?

Cheers,

John
Posted by: Shonky

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 09/05/2004 00:55

Count me in for sure. How much extra do you think to ship to Australia?
Posted by: speedy67

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 09/05/2004 03:28

Please count me in for 3 sets.
Would it make things easier for you and/or cheaper for us to collect the european orders and spread them from here? (like skibum did for the spheres)

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 09/05/2004 06:27

Let's see....

Added amounts for various countries. I have not really worked it out, but it is no different than a standard letter charge. I cannot see it going above $2 so I will just deal with the difference.

As for group buys, I am not sure that would be better or easier in this case. With the Tech Support Spheres, you had something big, bulky and tangible. This is just a single letter (the chips are small, thin and light). If I were to bunch them up, it might be more noticable.
Posted by: elperepat

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 09/05/2004 06:36

Hi!

I'm in for 2 sets (4 chips). I'm in Canada

Could you confirm total amount please.

Thanks!

Patrick

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 09/05/2004 06:39

Same price - $33. Thanks!
Posted by: frog51

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 09/05/2004 08:19

I'll have to make sure I fully understand the install instructions, but sounds like fun:-)

Paypal email on the way...
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 11:01

Any chance of you selling a batch of these to Stu (eutronix)? I'm wondering if I should buy some from you or wait for some to turn up with him since I would need his install service anyway.

-Mike

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 11:13

Greetings!

I spoke with Stu before putting the order in. With the previous order, I asked if he would like to hold chips there or have them shipped with the player. He preferred them shipped with the player, so I am shipping them to individuals to include with the players for installation. I think it a matter of stocking them.

Stu, please correct me if I am wrong or misunderstood. Thanks!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 13:18

It might be best to hold off from Stu until he gets his first one working!

Cheers
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 16:31

I have sent off my money for my set of chips.. Where could I find instructions for the install?

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 16:41

I have been asked about instructions for installation. This is something that I cannot really help with. I am a novice when it comes to soldering. The best I can do is point you to the two threads where the people who do know what they are doing speak about how to do it... A B

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 16:43

Thanks, thats what I was asking bout, Saw a pervious post about someone reading thru them I was just curious what they read .. Thanks! I probobly wont be doing it my self just wanted to see what was involved.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 16:50

Greetings!

Just an update for all those who sent in payment via PayPal - I am not ignoring you. I am merely waiting until the parts arrive and I ship before sending a confirmation email. So if you sent payment, it is extremely likely that I received it and I am just waiting for the last step. Thanks!

Installation service - 10/05/2004 17:00

Okay, I'm willing to do a couple of Mk2a DRAM installs.

If you have the two chips, and are willing to dismantle your player so as to send me ONLY the mainboard (plus the two chips), then I may be willing to install this hack. Note that I am in Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

But I have limited time available at present, improving somewhat by mid-summer.

So, initially, I'm looking for two people who don't mind giving up their players for a few weeks -- my schedule is hectic, so I'll do it when I can do it, by early June at the latest for the first two. The introductory fee for installation only (not parts or shipping), is US$50. This works out to only 50cents a pin. Based on experience from the first two, the rate may increase or stay the same thereafter.

dbrashear and yn0t_ have already asked, and they can have the first spots merely by confirming with a reply in this thread. Wait for them to post, and if either of them declines, then the next posters in this thread have a shot.

Cheers
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Installation service - 10/05/2004 17:03

I would like to take advantage of this, but at this time, cannot... So I'll give up my spot to whoever needs an upgrade now.

Re: Installation service - 10/05/2004 17:41

I would like to shoot for the next available spot. I am waiting on the chips tho cause i just ordered them
Posted by: Terminator

Re: Installation service - 10/05/2004 19:17

Im up for it, I can afford to lose my player a couple of weeks. :-)
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 22:04

Just a question, don't take it the wrong way (not that you would): Why bother? As far as I know I've never had an issue with my empeg having insufficient memory to do ~ whatever it was I needed it to do. I'm all for upgrades, but what benefits would one see of this? It seems like installing 2 Gigs of RAM in a PC. Neat, but not needed.

Sorry for what may be a dumb question for most...
Posted by: Daria

Re: Installation service - 10/05/2004 22:13

Well, see, here's the thing. I don't already have the chips, or I would. So I think I default my spot.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 10/05/2004 22:35

I'm all for upgrades, but what benefits would one see of this?
Most users would see no benefits at all, you are correct.

Users who want to run many third-party apps on the player simultaneously would be able to do so more easily. I think that's the biggest advantage at the moment.

Theoretically, users who have ginormous collections would get the benefit of more space for the database and cache. But If I recall correctly, the current player app doesn't take advantage of the extra RAM so not even this is a benefit yet (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I think that theoretically the disk builder image would have less trouble when formatting large drives, but if I understand correctly it would need to be recompiled to take advantage of the new RAM anyway, at which point they could just fix its bugs so it works for the regular-RAM people too.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 02:39

Theoretically, it should make for faster syncing and/or rebuilds also. I base this on the assumption that swap is enabled for syncing/rebuilding (I can't remember for which or is it both?).

The player software expects to be able to allocate upto 24MB of RAM. Normally this would come from 8-16MB of RAM (depending on empeg type) and 16MB swap.

So having the extra RAM should help there as well which can consume a fair amount of time. Not something you do every day but nice if it was faster at least.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 04:41

Greetings!

I think Mark said there was also a performance increase in the web server built into hijack as well.

Re: Installation service - 11/05/2004 06:52

Right now, I don't think anyone other than Stu or Paul have any chips -- the idea is that I expect you can obtain some within a week or two (when Paul's bulk order comes in). And now (as of last night) it appears I'm going to be elsewhere until the end of May, so the timing may just work out right.

Offer's still good...

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 06:59

Yup, the Hijack playlist web server is faster (due to Linux automatically applying any unused DRAM to disk-caching). And Tony's new emphatic stuff (and his even newer unreleased wonders) all can use extra memory to avoid starving the player. I really think the existing diskbuilder software will automatically take advantage of extra DRAM, enabling much easier installation of very large hard drives.

And since my own players may soon all have 32MB, I am quite likely to open the floodgates on Hijack, adding all sorts of new menus and features now that stealing memory from the music player is no longer an issue. Of course, I suppose I'll *have* to still produce a stripped-down crippled Hijack for stock players, but for my own players.. well.. it's time for vertical playlist menus!

And it is very very likely that a future (amersfoort?) alpha release of player software will include some way of having the player take advantage of extra installed memory for larger track buffers == less wear and tear on the hard drives, better .wav and .flac playback, etc..

A really cheap solution for Empeg longevity!

cheers

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 07:28

<amused chuckle>

And the folks on the board had to talk you into this... I think you really wanted the added memory all along for Hijack!!!

Re: Installation service - 11/05/2004 07:35

Greetings!

Random note. I am getting the chips from the same place Stu got his. I checked with him and got all of his information before placing the order, so they are from the same supplier. The only difference is that I ordered Micron versions of the chips (more in stock) but they are identical part numbers and should be interchangeable in every way.

The first order was really just for proof of concept and experimentation for the installers (and for the insane early adopters who knew there would be a way to do this eventually).

I hope to have the new chips in this week and mailed out by this weekend at the latest. Of course, we are at the mercy of the Postal Service, so delivery date will depend on your location. The timing should work out fairly well for those in the US - arrival of chips early next week so they can ship boards late next week for arrival to Mark during the last week of May...
Posted by: skibum

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 07:47

Does Mark own the only 32mb player so far? Has Stu got his upgrades working?

Re: Installation service - 11/05/2004 08:10

Ok, then I guess I will order some chips from Paul today (which I hadn't done yet since i haad no prayer of self-install) and hope it all falls together.

Re: Installation service - 11/05/2004 08:22

Mark, Will you be letting people know who your willing to do the install for? And when your willing to do it? Im ready as soon as the chips come in.. Not trying to rush anything just excited.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 10:37

I believe I have the only 32MB Mk2a player. Hugo has a 16MB Mk2, but he hasn't loaded the latest Hijack on it yet to verify that the kernel mods are correct for Mk2 yet -- easily fixed if I got it wrong, though.

Cheers

Re: Installation service - 11/05/2004 10:40

dbrashear has claimed his front-of-the-line spot, and for now I may leave it at that, unless yn0t_ reconsiders (he of all people could make best use of the upgrade).

I just got word that I'm going to SoCal Real Soon Now, for a couple of weeks, so there will be a window of opportunity when I return in June for these, before I head off to London/Amersfoort at the end of June.

More when I know more.

-ml
Posted by: tman

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 10:58

I've got a Mk2A with 32MB but I didn't have time to wire up the CS lines so it's still 16MB.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 11/05/2004 11:41

Just a note for any non-techies who are buying these with a view to getting someone else to install them. Don't unpackage the chips when you receive them. Resist the urge to rip open the static safe packaging in order to marvel at your new purchase,

These chips are sensitive to static and handling them without taking suitable precautions could destroy them before they even get installed. There's already enough risk for the installer without being given bad chips to start with.

Re: Installation service - 11/05/2004 12:20

I bet my AFS fileserver will suck up more memory than tony can make emphatic suck up

Update!!! - 12/05/2004 17:22

Greetings!

My package came in! I have verified that they are the correct chip numbers. Right now, I am stuffing a whole bunch of envelopes. If you have already requested memory sets and paid with PayPal, your chips will be shipped to you tomorrow via USPS (or Airmail as appropriate). If you requested other items (Tech Support Spheres, DVDs, aux-in adapters, etc.), if I have the other item, you stuff will also ship out to you tomorrow. These chips are all still packed in their original surface mount tape / holders, so they should be fairly static free. Have fun!!!
Posted by: rtundo

Re: Update!!! - 12/05/2004 17:48

Paul,

Are there still chips unspoken for?

Re: Update!!! - 12/05/2004 18:14

Oh, most certainly, yes. I ordered enough for 100 sets. I think I still have about 40 left... Plus some extras for the solderers. So far, the largest order I had was 9 sets!!! Wow!!!

Re: Update!!! - 13/05/2004 01:28

My package came in!

Let me be the first to say thanks for taking on the financial responsibility and dealing with the headaches involved with ordering and distributing the RAM. My empeg appreciates it

-Mike
Posted by: Major_Sarcasm

Re: Update!!! - 13/05/2004 01:52

Seconded!

Re: Update!!! - 13/05/2004 04:26

No worries! This was actually fairly easy compared to some that I have done. Today's trip to the post office should be interesting, though. I want to verify the mailing weight and postage, especially for the airmail variations. So some poor unfortunate postal clerk will be stuck dealing with me again...

Re: Update!!! - 14/05/2004 10:29

Memory bump.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 15/05/2004 17:10

What the heck did Paul send me in an envelope? Oh right, I ordered memory. Wait, this can't possibly have anything in it. Oh. Yes it does.

So I guess I need to dismount a motherboard and find an antistatic bag so I can send one of my units off to mlord.

Thanks Paul!

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 15/05/2004 17:47

Cool! I guess it arrived safely. I had sent some tests through the mail to Canada, so I thought they would be safe.

Although I had not even thought about what people would think of the chips if they had not seen that kind of packing before... Then again, thinking back to what I first thought when I first saw it...

Description deleted in favor of the photograph and better description below.

You probably just want to include the entire letter in your package with the motherboard when you send it to Mark or Stu.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 15/05/2004 17:59

Given that a lot of people will suddenly be getting these mysterious envelopes in the mail (please don't call your local police department!), a photo of what to expect...

You can see the carrier adhered with "scotch tape" to the paper. The paper was to protect and keep the chips still while being transported. The "scotch tape" only covers the sprocket holes and can be easily removed.

The plastic body is an anti-static capsule, each holding one chip. The bottom of the chips can be seen through the small hole in the bottom of the capsule. If you turn the capsules over, you will find a film layer protecting the chips from above.

It is probably best not to remove the chips from this carrier to help prevent static problems. This shipping method was tested in advance before any sales occurred, so the chips should be safe as they arrived.

Note: The paper itself has a very fine pattern to it, similar to the safety paper you see on checks. If you cannot see the pattern, you may be too drunk to perform the install yourself, or need a magnifying glass to assist you. It is also interesting to note that one person did receive paper without a pattern on it, just to make things more interesting...

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 15/05/2004 18:30

Oh, I haven't opened the envelope, and I'm not going to. If I do, it'll be gone before the post office is open again.
Posted by: image

Re: Installation service - 17/05/2004 10:12

SoCal Real Soon Now
maybe then the vaporware SoCal meet will finally happen =)

Re: Installation service - 18/05/2004 00:31

dbrashear has claimed his front-of-the-line spot, and for now I may leave it at that

I just got my chips today (thanks Paul) so if you happen to want to solder up another one, let me know. Otherwise I guess I'll wait for for a success report or two from Stu.

-Mike

Re: Installation service - 19/05/2004 08:35

This is one of those posts that go "bump" on the web... I still have a few of these upgrade kits left.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Installation service - 20/05/2004 11:19

Thanks Paul, I received mine.... Boy, I don't think I'll be attempting the soldering of those pins! Hopefully I can ship my spare off to someone along with the tuner module I built that doesn't seem to function quite right.

Re: Installation service - 20/05/2004 11:38

Greetings!

A further bump and a warning. After I take into account orders I received so far today, I think I am down to my last 5 sets! If you need RAM, send me EMAIL first (not PayPal) to confirm availability. This is from the 100 sets ordered plus adding in what I had from the original chip purchase. I am reserving enough for my own players as well.

If there is enough need, I can always place another order, but I do not want to do that until I can gauge how many more would be needed.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 20/05/2004 15:05

As Andy pointed out - they are very very small

Confused SWMBO - very suspicious until I pointed out they were techy not druggie in nature...

Chip sales are now CLOSED - 21/05/2004 16:33

Greetings!

Chip sales are now closed. I have just enough for my own players and projects at this time. Please do not send PayPal - I have nothing left to ship.

If there is enough demand for the chips, I will look into another bulk order.

I can't believe that I went through over 100 sets (counting the ones I had from the first purchase). Enjoy everyone!!!

By the way - who said that techie is not addictive?!?!?!

Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 27/05/2004 05:24

Greetings!

Memory bump. I ordered another bulk batch of RAM, so anyone who missed out on the first order should contact me / order now. Thanks!
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 27/05/2004 10:10

Paul,
Do the same instructions at the beginning of this thread apply?

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 27/05/2004 10:26

Indeed. It is the same price, same instructions for this batch. Thanks!

$33 per set, send a PayPal with a correct address and a subject line with the word memory and the number of sets requested to me at [email protected] and an envelope with the correct combination will be mailed via first class or air mail.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 27/05/2004 15:34

DONE !
Thanks for offering this service.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 27/05/2004 16:06

Greetings!

No problem. Meanwhile, I have received the new batch of chips today, so I am fully restocked!
Posted by: maczrool

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 27/05/2004 19:47

Paul, you rock!

Stu

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 29/05/2004 14:01

Thank you!

And *bump*...

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 01/06/2004 21:02

Paul,
I received my "chips" today,
Thanks

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 02/06/2004 04:54

Cool! Good luck with the install!

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 04/06/2004 18:29

Another bump to the memory thread. If you have been following along, Hijack can now support 64MB, should you decide to take on the challenge...

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 05/06/2004 19:36

Ack dont tell me that! I havent even gotten the chips I got from you installed now you will have me wanting to get bigger ones lol!

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 02:27

For hijack to support 64MB, you have to quadruple stack (i.e. 3 new chips each on top of the two originals). They are the same chip you just use more.

NB: Nobody has gone past 32MB yet.

You can also triple stack (3 chips total height) for 48MB.

EDIT:

Looks like Paul has gone to 48MB.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 03:02

NB: Nobody has gone past 32MB yet.

That's not quite true.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 03:32

Yes I did start editing my post, but didn't do the final "post edit" click

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 05:22

OK, I have to ask, do you have any more chips? Now you got me wanting to go to 64MB.. I have the first two so im guessing I would need 2 more sets? Also is there any updates on people offering install services yet?

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 07:09

First, it was genixia who did the memory install on that unit and is responsible for the talent that was able to get it to work with 48MB.

Please note that, while hijack will support up to 64MB, the physical installation is intensely difficult. As it is, there is a challange issued for anyone who can do it and get it to work.
Posted by: russell

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 07:24

I'm tempted to try 64mb, but i have to get 32mb working first.

Does anyone have any thoughts on raising the drive cradle 3 or 4mm and possibly changing the angle slightly to give a little more clearance.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 10:41

I think one may be able to simply notch away some metal from the drive tray for this. Pretty easy stuff to cut, and there's way more metal there than strictly necessary.

Cheers

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 19:34

Does anyone have any thoughts on raising the drive cradle 3 or 4mm

Drill two new holes in the case to bring the front drive cradle screws level with the rear. You'd need a longer IDE cable, but that would buy a lot of clearance.

Won't help you with the soldering though.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 19:46

I don't know that you'll find anyone willing to install 64MB for you - each layer added increases the complexity and hence risk and install time significantly. How much are you willing to pay for someone to take those risks and that time? Can you justify it?

32MB is a winner. I'm confident that someone will do 32MB upgrades at an affordable price, and the difference that it could make to the player makes it worth it.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 21:38

Really im just at the impulsive point where i want the most i can get since i want to upgrade it. I will probobly go with what ever level people determine to be the norm. I have no idea what I would pay for the upgrade. Im just waiting for someone to say they are willing to do them and what they ask for to deciede.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 06/06/2004 22:23

I do them. Fifty-cents a pin, plus return shipping. But then again, I'm now busy until mid-July (after the Amersfoort Meet).

Cheers

Memory Bump - 27/06/2004 13:18

Greetings!

*bump* Still plenty of memory left, for those who want to experiment.

Re: Memory Bump - 27/06/2004 13:48

Just sent some more money off to you for 2 more sets
Posted by: alex25

Re: Memory Bump - 25/08/2004 17:53

Paul,
do you still have some kits left? Still the same price?
Could be that I need another pair for my home player. :-)

Re: Memory Bump - 25/08/2004 20:14

Greetings!

Yes, I still have plenty of sets left. Same price as before. But I must let you know (if you didn't already) that Patrick is working on an upgrade board. If you are interested in the chips, let me know.
Posted by: Taym

Re: Memory Bump - 25/08/2004 21:34

Ok, I gess demand is lower then offer, but in case anybody needs it, I have an second set that Paul sent me when we believed the first one was lost somewhere between US and Italy.

I'll send it to whoever wants it. Since I did not pay for this one, who is interested will have to paypal Paul whatever the current price is.
Posted by: alex25

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 05:45

Paul,

I know patrick is working on a memory board. But he did not mention a time frame when they are ready, did he? And I should have the upgrade as soon as possible.
But I'm definitly interested to buy two of his boards once they are available.

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 08:35

I am not sure if there is a timeframe for the boards yet. As it is, Patrick is busy enough with his regular material and the tuner kits.

taym - thanks for the update! I can only assume that they were "lost in the mail" somewhere on their journey. I am glad they finally arrived. Somehow it makes me feel slightly better about the postal process... In any case, please feel free to pass them on to anyone on the board who needs them.

I have more chips available, but certainly if you are in Europe you should first take advantage of any sets that are floating around out there.

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 12:07

Paul is right. The good soul that is know here on the board as King Moonracer was kind enough to provide me with three sets.
However I decided that it would be better to wait for the solution that Patrick is preparing. I contacted King Moonracer, and he said that it was ok to donate the sets back to the community.
In other words : I've got three sets available, and whoever is interested can have a set. One set per person only please, because I think it's cooler to make 3 persons happy instead of just one.
Remember, you can also use these chips to upgrade your Tivo if you want to.

If you're interested, contact me. Preferably via email (you can find my email address in my profile), since PM doesn't seem to work reliably on the board anymore since the merger.

These sets will be given away on a first come/first serve basis, so be quick!
And finally, don't thank me, thank King Moonracer for making this possible!

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 12:42

I'm really not sure what the fuss is about.

An extra 16MB for Mk2a units is really beneficial Right Now. Adding another 32MB beyond that will NOT make nearly as noticeable a difference.

The 2-chip solution is simple, and easy to install -- as evidence look around on the BBS -- tons of people have attempted and succeeded, and no units or owners have died.

Installing Patrick's theoretical expansion board in 2006 will be no easier or less risky to the player than the current 2-chip upgrades are -- they take under an hour to solder and test, or under 15 minutes if one has done it before.

I imagine a PCA board will require the same effort, but be trickier to verify due to the concealed solder joints inherent to the design.

Removing a PCA board without damage to the main player will be nearly impossible (mechanically very difficult) for most people on the BBS.

Should it ever be necessary due to a chip failure, removing the 2-chip solution without damage to the mainboard is easy -- just snip the pins and desolder them one-by-one.

The two chip solution is very very cheap, even if one has to pay another to do the soldering.

Cheers
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 13:49

dibs.

You have email and PM.

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 15:52

All the kits have been spoken for by now. The persons that showed interest in them have been contacted.

Edit : yes, this means you too JBjorgen !

Thx!
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 17:43

Quote:
because I think it's cooler to make 3 persons happy instead of just one.

You've got at least one happy person.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 21:02

I (personally) havn't had much luck shipping to Canada lately and from my PMs, it seems you're the only person who is reliably offering this service. I'm really frustrated with the current shipping fiasco of my newest player. If I had known Justin Larsen had waited a couple of weeks to ship my player, I probably would have taken a chance and had him ship it to you. He only told me "I don't have a tracking number for you yet" so I thought the package was in the mail.

My player is running out of memory for certain tasks, and I'm not even running any 3rd party software yet.

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 21:51

Memory is good. More memory is better.

Hard drive space is good. More hard drive space is better.

You can never have too much space!

Sorry - I could not resist.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 22:34

Quote:
I (personally) havn't had much luck shipping to Canada lately

I can ship it for you if you want. I'm probably going to Montreal Sept. 11th, so I can even mail it from within Canada most likely.

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 22:43

I think genixia may also be offering to do the soldering.. He's in the Boston area, give or take 30 miles.

Cheers

Re: Memory Bump - 26/08/2004 22:46

Quote:
I'm probably going to Montreal Sept. 11th
Damn.. I'm just down the road from there (about 2 hours at legal speeds..), but the 11th is our major GeoCaching event here.

I'll be spending much of that 24 hours running around using very expensive billion-dollar military hardware to find tupperware and film containers hidden in this area.

Cheers

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 00:24

I'm about a 30min drive from Ontario, so I guess I could do the same thing...

genexia didn't get back to me last time I asked, but that was months ago... maybe I should try again?

All of this is assuming Justin ever gets me my player.

Paul, are you saying 32 is nice buy 48 is better or what? hehe
Posted by: robricc

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 00:55

I'll be back up there October 16th probably with nothing to do during the day. We should meet-up then.

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 01:11

So what's with all the Saturday's in Mount Royal.. cute kaybecker gotcher eye?

Cheers
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 04:09

Quote:
cute kaybecker gotcher eye?

I miss those, down here.

Maybe you can package one up and send her down for me? One of those cute climbers that hit on you would be okay -- lotsa climbing available down here.

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 10:32

Reading and commenting in flat mode, so this may cross a few subthreads...

What better use is there for multi billion dollar military hardware?!

I do not know if 48MB gives significant benefits over 32MB, but it certainly has not hurt anything...

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 10:35

Quote:
One of those cute climbers that hit on you
Like this one? (attached)

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 10:36

SWMBO???

Re: Memory Bump - 27/08/2004 10:41

Quote:
SWMBO???

Naw, she's not keen on pink anything, let alone fuzzy undies! And SWMBO doesn't wear a climbing helmet, except on ice.

Cheers
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Memory Bump - 29/08/2004 00:18

Quote:
One of those cute climbers that hit on you
Quote:
Like this one? (attached)

Do you have a big enough box, or should I ship one up?
Posted by: music

Re: Memory Bump - 29/08/2004 00:55

Sooooo... being in LA, I'll assume you're quite familiar with American slang.

Would you like to rethink your wording on that?

Unless you actually.... Oh, never mind.
Posted by: Defiler

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 03/09/2004 12:25

So.. I finally have a second empeg on its way to me.. Am I too late to get some of this memory action? I didn't want to do any soldering on my mission-critical primary empeg.

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 03/09/2004 12:28

Plenty of chips left. As for soldering, that would be your own (or someone else's) doing.
Posted by: Defiler

Re: Mark 2A memory upgrade chip sets (16->32MB) - 03/09/2004 12:35

Quote:
Plenty of chips left. As for soldering, that would be your own (or someone else's) doing.

Awesome. Cash is on the way via Paypal.
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: Memory Bump - 04/10/2004 15:18

An upgrade Board HUmmmm I have to know what upgrades will be on it ?

Quote:
Greetings!

But I must let you know (if you didn't already) that Patrick is working on an upgrade board. If you are interested in the chips, let me know.

Re: Memory Bump - 04/10/2004 19:20

Just RAM.
Posted by: webroach

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 00:22

Quote:
An upgrade Board HUmmmm I have to know what upgrades will be on it ?

Quote:
Greetings!

But I must let you know (if you didn't already) that Patrick is working on an upgrade board. If you are interested in the chips, let me know.

I thought you were fed up and selling your empeg?

And, ummm.... top posting is kinda a Bad Thing.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 01:09

Quote:
And, ummm.... top posting is kinda a Bad Thing.

It's funny, my wife and I had that religious discussion about an email I replied to. She prefers top posting (aka bottom quoting), and I'm used to the opposite.

Does that mean our marriage is doomed to failure?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 02:50

Search for "top posting" and make her read any of those pages about why it's a bad, if not stupid, idea. Then divorce her.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 03:14

Quote:
Search for "top posting" and make her read any of those pages about why it's a bad, if not stupid, idea. Then divorce her.

Jeez, at least i was gonna suggest counseling first. Then divorce.

I guess my issue with it is this: there's a standard involved. It's set. Has been for some time. Like not randomly capitalizing words. Just isn't done.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 05:29

Quote:
I guess my issue with it is this: there's a standard involved. It's set. Has been for some time. Like not randomly capitalizing words. Just isn't done.

Yeah, I tried that one. She says that everyone who she exchanges emails with does it the other way around, and therefore I'm the one not following the standard.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 09:53

I prefer top posting for email and bottom for forums.... <shrug>

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 16:19

Quote:
I prefer top posting for email and bottom for forums.... <shrug>

That's because email almost always top-posts. Forums are basically the evolution of USENET, hence the bottom posting in line with USENET standards.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 16:29

Email only top posts since the rise of Microsoft in the internet scene. Before then, everyone bottom posted emails, too.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 16:34

Quote:
Email only top posts since the rise of Microsoft in the internet scene. Before then, everyone bottom posted emails, too.

You know....I have to admit that I haven't thought about email in the old days since....well, since the old days. But you're right (of course)!

I think the reason top posting doesn't bother me in email (I actually prefer it) is that it's usually a two-way conversation. I already know what I just wrote, but it's nice to have it for a reference if I need it.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 16:48

I understand but disagree. To me, if you needed reference, don't delete the old email. This way, people just keep adding new stuff and new stuff to an email until you get to the point where you're transmitting 100kB to say "Yes". Which brings me to the notion of people writing emails in Word and sending the Word doc as an attachment in order to say yes. That seems less prevalent now than a few years back; I guess MS must have fixed Outlook, since you can still use Word as your email message editor, though why you'd want to do that I have no idea.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 16:58

Quote:
I understand but disagree. To me, if you needed reference, don't delete the old email. This way, people just keep adding new stuff and new stuff to an email until you get to the point where you're transmitting 100kB to say "Yes".

Fair enough. In all honesty, this was more important to me when I was still working in IT. I was at Comcast, and we had very strict email removal rules (ie. no storing it, servers deleted mail very quickly, etc). Can't subpeona what isn't there.

Quote:
Which brings me to the notion of people writing emails in Word and sending the Word doc as an attachment in order to say yes.

Agreed, very VERY annoying. I used to just delete those messages and tell people I didn't get it.

Quote:
That seems less prevalent now than a few years back; I guess MS must have fixed Outlook, since you can still use Word as your email message editor, though why you'd want to do that I have no idea.

I believe (and could easily be wrong) that if you "use Word as your message editor" in the most current version (and maybe other recent versions) of Outlook, it simply uses the Word engine. I've seen winword.exe in peoples process listing even when they only have Outlook open.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 18:36

I like being able to read an email right away without having to Page Down a few times. But, to be honest, I'd rather just have the original message not inserted into replies. Perhaps if I did a lot of work related email, I'd prefer having all of it "there" but it's not neccessary for personal stuff IMHO.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 18:53

Considerate people only include snippets from the original message to give context to their responses when multiple questions were asked in the original email, and those snippets are well edited. Inconsiderate people just include the entire thing. Top posting encourages just including the whole thing. That is, a good bottom poster's message doesn't require pagedowns because he's only included a few lines from the original. Just like we do on this BBS.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 19:21

Yeah. What Bitt said.

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 19:31

Quote:
That is, a good bottom poster's message doesn't require pagedowns because he's only included a few lines from the original. Just like we do on this BBS.

Mmmmm, peer pressure.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Memory Bump - 05/10/2004 23:38

Quote:
Considerate people only include snippets from the original message

When I used to do that, it was never well received. Tended to make me look a bit obsessive about my message, according to some people who received them. Now, when e-mailing people who don't know me well, I have to do it AOL-style, all messy and ignorant. People seem to understand those better.

Re: Memory Bump - 06/10/2004 00:21

Those people are wrong. You didn't want them to be your friends anyway.

Re: Memory Bump - 06/10/2004 01:42

Quote:
Those people are wrong. You didn't want them to be your friends anyway.

The FAQ Master waves his hand slowly in front of FireFox31

FAQ Master: "These are not the friends you're looking for..."

FireFox31's eyes sort of glaze over.

FireFox31: "These...uhh...these aren't the friends I'm looking for."

FAQ Master: "You don't need to repost the entire previous email...."

FireFox31: "I don't need to repost the entire previous email."

FAQ Master: "Go call the button caster."

FireFox31: "I'm gonna go call the button caster."

Re: Memory Bump - 06/10/2004 12:30

LMAO
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Memory Bump - 06/10/2004 20:47

Hahaha, nice. Yeah, I should call that guy. Trying to be all formal, I e-mailed him to set up a time for the call, but haven't heard back in a few days. I'll try him tomorrow at work. Still waiting on a few other things, so it's no big deal.

Oh, and I was drooling over GE Plastic's exotic flavors of LEXAN. How about metalic buttons, perled buttons, sandstone buttons, or..... make-up colored buttons?!

(sorry for the thread-jack)
Posted by: Taym

Re: Memory Bump - 09/10/2004 01:00

Quote:
How about metalic buttons

I'd buy Chrome. Metallic too.