FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras!

Posted by: justinlarsen

FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 11/07/2004 17:23

I have a 50gb MK2a plus another MK2a with no hard drive in it. I also have a Darkstorm Dock, 4 Darkstorm lenses, the Empeg Lens Kit. I'm looking for $699 for the package (plus any shipping that is needed), I might be willing to part some of it out as well email me for questions or offers. [email protected]
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 11/07/2004 18:55

This sadly sounds like another case of dashboard incompatability...

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/07/2004 00:44

well i could get it to fit the way i want it for about $500 in custom work, but since the ipod adaptor got announced by BMW its just too tempting to pass, so unfortunatly I'm going to have to part with the empeg.
Posted by: music

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/07/2004 05:47

Well I haven't given up (yet).
I may need to talk to you about your custom guy, since the estimates I've been getting to do it the way I want it are running a little bit higher.

Phatbox or ipod/glovebox won't really do it for me, due to the lousy interface.

Then again, my Karma-to-FM-modulator solution isn't really working for me either.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/07/2004 23:29

I have a Pending offer for the spare unit, without any of the extras. The package has now dropped to $549 This is whats included.

50gb MK2a (1x20GB 1x30GB)
(2) Rio Remotes
(2) Sleds
(2) Orginal Manuals
(2) Orginal Software CD's
(2) Power Adaptors
(1) Orginal Box, With Matching Serials Number To The Unit
(1) Darkstorm Docking Station
(1) Darkstorm Raised Smoke Lense
(1) Darkstorm Raised Dark Red
(1) Orginal Empeg Lense Kit With Amber, Red and Green
(1) Orginal Blue Lense
(1) Handy Custom Hard Shell Carrying Case
w/Key

Plus I'm going to leave the Hard Drives as is with the music and software, or you can request to have fresh drive's. I'm not sure how much shipping with be as of yet, I'm assuming $30, or if your local you can pick it up within the Bay Area.

I also might have some other extra's I have bought for this, which will just be a bonus and I will include them upon shipping. I just can't remember everything I have for it.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/07/2004 23:31

That's a great deal! 2 sleds!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 13/07/2004 22:18

Hell yeah that seems like a good deal. ::sigh:: Just another reason for me to get two more cars. The Roadmaster and Delorian are single DIN right? Hmmmmm.

But I'm curious, what's the Darkstorm Dock? Pictures? I don't even remember ever hearing about that even when Darkstorm was around.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 14/07/2004 04:22

its a fiberglass box as oppsed to the wooden one, its basically just a fiberglass shell that you need to either make your own dock, or have an extra one (hey there isan extra one in the package, thats odd!). It looks really clean I forgot how much I paid for it, like $50 or soo.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 14/07/2004 23:51

I have pending offers on both these items. Thank you everyone for your interestest. I am not longer taking offers at this time.
Posted by: thrasher

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 04/08/2004 22:14

Justin I still have not recieved it yet.Could I please get the tracking number from you.Thanks for your time in replying back.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 05/08/2004 22:38

Justin you out there somewere,anyone out there no justin larsen.I am kinda starting to get worried.
Posted by: genixia

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 05/08/2004 23:07

Don't panic yet. Note that Justin's last post was the one above on 15/7/04 - he may not have visited the BBS since.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 05/08/2004 23:32

I am not woried anymore,He got ahold of me he was out of town.Thanks, But now I feel bad he said his grandfather passed away.I hope he had a long wonderful life and did not suffer long.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 11/08/2004 21:53

Don't you just hate it when you pay for stuff and then never recieve it,Is the person who bought his harddriveless empeg out there.Just wondering if you ever recieved it.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 11/08/2004 22:21

I picked up the empeg w. no drives. He's been in constant contact with me over the last few weeks. I mailed a check and he was waiting for the check to clear. I was also out of town for a week or so and told him to not rush anything. Last we talked, he's mailing it out tomorrow.

All looks good to me.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 11/08/2004 23:34

I sent him the money on the 18th on the 20 he said he shiped it out.I paid extra for ups so on the 24 when I did not recieve it I emailed him and asked for the tracking number he replied and said it was in his car and would get it for me.on the 27 he got back to me and said he maid a mistake on the shipping form and it got sent back to him.on the 29 he said he shiped it agian.So on the 5th I still had not recieved any thing I emailed him and he said he was in arizona because his grandfather passed away.he said he would be home on sunday the 8th it is now the 11th and I have not heard anything from him as to whats going on.He seems like a really nice guy.I would just like to no whats going on.
Posted by: loren

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/08/2004 00:46

Did you try his AIM address? (assuming you use IM clients)... it's "digitaldrukqs" ... from his profile =]

He's a standup guy. I'm sure there's a legit reason.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/08/2004 00:58

I no he seems like a really nice person.I did not try to make him sound bad.I just wish he would get ahold of me and let me no whats up.my brother lives in redwood city I should of had him just pick the stuff up for me.I should have just drove down and picked it up my self but I was to lazy to drive two hours to get it,lol
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/08/2004 01:06

typically, we use spaces after commas and periods. :P
Posted by: ricin

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 12/08/2004 01:43

We also capitalize the beginning of a sentence, and use other punctuation marks (like the apostrophe) as well.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 20/08/2004 03:29

A real stand up guy. Well it has been over a month now since I sent him 570 dollares. He told me he shipped it three diferent times now, what a joke. This time he said he would have me a tracking number by tomorow, that was three days ago and have not heard from him since. To top it off I am going thru a devorce and my wife is taking everthing including my kids. I really needed another f'in prob right now.
Posted by: JayF

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 20/08/2004 03:50

Quote:
A real stand up guy. Well it has been over a month now since I sent him 570 dollares. He told me he shipped it three diferent times now, what a joke. This time he said he would have me a tracking number by tomorow, that was three days ago and have not heard from him since. To top it off I am going thru a devorce and my wife is taking everthing including my kids. I really needed another f'in prob right now.

I'm in the same boat. Not the divorce part but the empeg part

Good luck to us

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 20/08/2004 04:04

Whats up with people these days. I hope you get yours.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 20/08/2004 09:50

Justin, I'm beginning to grow concerned as well... I mailed you a personal check about a month ago, you emailed me saying you received the check on the 3rd of August, now it's two weeks later and I still have not gotten a tracking number from you..

I understand I initially told you "no rush" on the thing, and you were out of town due to a death in the family l until some time last week, but you've been home for nearly a week now and havn't shipped the player yet.

I doubt that you'd be trying to pull a scram after giving me your home mailing address and after having a long presence on this BBS, but you've got to communicate a bit more here. If there's some reason, even if it's silly, that you have not shipped our players yet (can't find a proper sized box, left our mailing addresss at home when you made a trip to UPS, had a flat tire) just let us know.

I've got Alpha8 and parts for a microphone here and no test player!
Posted by: peakmop

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 20/08/2004 22:12

I would still be cautious and concerned about the guy. $500 or so that he received from both of you would still not justify for a scam.
I have a little story on something similar. I bought an old used laptop from a guy on e-bay. Turned out the laptop the guy sold me was stolen - all of somebody's personal info/e-mail correspondence was still there; even more - the laptop came without any kind of attachments (e.g. power supply, mouse, software, etc.). Luckily, I had a pretty good deal going on this. However, this guy started receiving negative feedbacks for some pricy items (brand new laptops, projectors, etc.). Turned out, he even copied others' listings and pictures and when people paid him, he would send packed telephone books instead of laptops.
I guess I was the last guy who legitimately bough something from him. Another interesting scam story (or at least its conclusion) you can read HERE

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 20/08/2004 23:54

[censored] out of luck. I no I can drive to his house if he still lives there,but I really do not want to get in any trouble right now. My brother lives in redwood city he is a sheriff he said he would go buy there for me but I really do not want to get him involed. Man this really sucks.

Are we getting scammed? - 21/08/2004 01:41

Wednesday was the last I heard from him, and he told me he still hadn't shipped it yet. I havn't heard from him since.

Anyone have any words of advice? Part of me keeps wanting to wait another day, another part of me wants this all over...

Re: Are we getting scammed? - 21/08/2004 02:13

I was wondering the same thing. Can we do anything legal with somthing like this.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 02:34

Is there anyone in the bay area that knows who this guy is. Justin Larsen ?

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 15:04

I see in some of his post that tony and a few others met him in san francisco one time. Did any of you hapen to get his phone number or maybe no were he works.570 from me and 200 from brad is alot of money to lose for some people.
Posted by: music

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 15:53

I've met him, as have several other people here.
I don't think he's trying to rip anyone off; I think he is just procrastinating. He probably doesn't realize that the long delay is causing problems and suspicion, since he doesn't visit here very often any more.

I think he'll come through for you.
If nothing develops in the next few days, perhaps Loren or someone can track him down and see what's up.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 16:33

Quote:
no were he works
know where

You've misspelled "know" many times now.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 17:20

LOL, sorry about that. My spelling is not the best.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 17:23

Quote:
Quote:
no were he works
know where

You've misspelled "know" many times now.

Like that really matters. The point is this man is out $570 USD.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 21/08/2004 21:25

Go easy on Bitt, he's just doing his job.
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 01:45

I think l0ser needs the title Grammar Deputy..

Anyway thrasher and Brad I hope he comes through for you.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 03:20

Yeah, he got back in touch with us. I think he was just really busy and/or was putting it off. That in combination with not keeping in touch made us get a bit worried, but I think it'll be alright now. Him being a long time member here was the only reason I felt okay mailing a check rather than PayPal.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 17:40

I see him probably a couple times a month... He did stand me up for a skate session the other day though... heheh. If need be... i know where he works and can go kick some ass for you guys... (j/k Justin).

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 20:03

Yes that would be nice. LOL, It has been close to five weeks now since I sent him the money. You would think he could find time to ship the stuff. Thanks loren for checking.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 20:58

I just talked to him online. Don't know why he's not posting in this thread. He assured me he's shipping stuff tomorrow. I'm in no way taking responsability for his actions! hahah. Just wanted to reassure you he's not running off with anyone's money.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 22:16

So, he's a skateboard punk? That explains it..

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 22/08/2004 23:23

Thanks alot, That is really cool of you to do that for us.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 25/08/2004 00:36

LOL, apparently, "tomorrow" doesn't mean Monday (or Tuesday).

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 25/08/2004 02:48

LOL , I was thinking the same thing. five weeks later no empeg, It has been two weeks with no reply from him at all. I wonder if I sent him some more money for shipping he might send it.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 25/08/2004 23:19

Yeesh. Bastard! heheh. You guys do realize his AIM name is in his profile?? (with an autoresponder containing his cell number... but you didn't hear that from me)

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 26/08/2004 17:41

Wow, apparently they have shipped, but neither of us have gotten tracking numbers yet. He said we can each have one of your players if he doesn't follow through.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 26/08/2004 19:27

Yes, He told me the samething. Thanks loren your a kind man.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 26/08/2004 21:23

Quote:
Wow, apparently they have shipped, but neither of us have gotten tracking numbers yet. He said we can each have one of your players if he doesn't follow through.

You guys are being too nice. Didn't one member of the forum get arrested and convicted after not delivering players in a 2 week time frame?? And here we are talking a 6 week time frame??

"old hand" or not I would be a little more irritated after waiting 6 weeks without communication. If he was atleast communicating then it would be different and slightly easier to trust.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 26/08/2004 22:27

Thats always been my problem. I am gonna get real mean some day.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 00:35

At this point, I'll pay someone to pick them up and ship my player to me. IT's weird how he'll actually email me and not thrasher. Then he'll tell me "you can see I never leave the computer much" then tell thrasher, in one of the very few emails "sorry, I'm practically never online".

I should have known something was up when he said he can't take PayPal.

Never again.
Posted by: mlord

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 01:09

Mmm.. if he's as competent as his company, these transactions could take a while.. I just tried to browse the company website from Justin's profile, and it's got tons of broken links and the like. A definite case of truth in advertising.

Cheers

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 01:58

its also funny how he begged for money to goto Africa.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 03:06

loren I will give you 75 dollarers to pick up the stuff from him and ship it to me. I am in turlock ,CA.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 04:17

Instead of paying Loren you might want consider a bounty hunter.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 20:37

Justin, I've been holding off on posting on many interesting threads for the past few days because I really wanted to use my 3000th post to do something interesting.

Instead I am wasting it on you. Pull your head out of your ass and deal with this situation. This community is a great place, one where someone with as many posts as yourself can usually be implicitly trusted. You are destroying that with your actions (or lack thereof).

I can't believe that you are doing this maliciously, only that you are being completely inept. Maybe you are going through a hard time personally, but that does not excuse this delay.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 27/08/2004 21:32

Argh, don't ya love when you vouch for someone and they scew the pooch?! ... and then promises your empegs to others...haha. No one seemed to reply to my notice that his PHONE NUMBER is in his autoresponder on AIM. Is it not there anymore? Or have you guys tried calling him already? Email is way easier to ignore than phone calls. ;-)

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 28/08/2004 01:52

Hi, Thanks for showing some concern you guys. I called him and He is not replying to my messages. I think were gonna have to get the law involved. This guy really turned out to be a flake. Loren pick the stuff up for us I will take you waverunning on my new gpr 1200's pay you for your time and even barbeque at the lake anyone else that would like to have a small meet at the lake is welcome. It is only 1:45 min from you.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 28/08/2004 02:39

I have a suggestion.
Try to open up a web site about Justin Larsen, explain what he did
and link his company's broken web site there. I think it might work. At least it worked really well with Sal Wise, Jr. - the e-bay scammer, if Justin Spence hadn't published his scams, who knows, nobody would ever get reimbursed...

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 28/08/2004 02:48

Well considering I did not own a cumputer till I purchased my empeg. I have a hard enough time updating my empeg letalone build a web site. Good Idea though.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 28/08/2004 03:12

thrasher -

don't you live fairly close? Even if it was a 2-3 hour drive I would do it and get my $$ or empeg back.

Good luck but it looks like he just took your money and might not ever ship/refund unless the law is involved.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 28/08/2004 04:18

Yes it is fairley close to me. But I am going thru a devorce right now and my wife is acusing me of being angry and violent just because I lift weights and work out on a body bag. She is trying to get the kids from me. So I would hate to drive up there and have somthing bad happen. If I do not get my stuff from him I will eventually after everything cools down here. What a bummer this has turned out to be.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 28/08/2004 13:44

damn.. I was also going to purchase these, but I didn't have the cash that week.. damn glad I am not going through this.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 31/08/2004 03:56

any good word on this??

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 31/08/2004 14:15

Nope. He's stopped all communication now. Last contact said he shipped it but has refused to give tracking numbers. Shipping date was said to be on the 24th of August.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 31/08/2004 21:05

Wow, I think you guys have been patient enough. It's time to give the mofo a visit!

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 31/08/2004 22:07

Sorry guys, i don't have the bandwidth to help out right now. I'm working crunch late nights for the next couple of weeks. He's not responding to me either. I'll keep trying.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 00:42

Right on. Thanks for tryin.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 03:44

I would highly suggest you 2 file a complaint, contact his local PD and your local PD. Hopefully you guys have saved money order receipts and such.

File a complaint here : http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Good luck.

Justin, I know your reading this thread. Why not do the right thing and save yourself some trouble?

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 09:57

Thank you for the link. We were in the process of contacting the local sheriff office, but I was looking for something like this (or even the US Post Office.)

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 10:43

Thrasher maybe now's the time to get your brother involved..

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 18:55

Well My brother knows someone in the petaluma pollice office. I called them and there going to try to help but we have to do by the book. So I had to notify the police department in my town first to file a report. Then they will get ahold of the petaluma office and go have a talk with justin. My uncle is also an attorney in the bay area. He is sending justin a court order of some kind and I am suing him in small claims court. This is gonna end up being a big problem for justin. It is too bad he tried to pull this on us. I hate getting someone in this kinda of trouble. But who knows who else he might be ripping off too.
Posted by: robricc

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 19:01

Quote:
It is too bad he tried to pull this on us.

I have a hard time believing this was premeditated, but the position you guys are in definitely sucks. Good luck.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 19:06

You no I feel the same way you do. But it started out flakey from the first day he recieved are money.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 21:39

Quote:
Quote:
It is too bad he tried to pull this on us.

I have a hard time believing this was premeditated, but the position you guys are in definitely sucks. Good luck.

So it makes it okay if it wasn't premeditated? What he is doing is wrong and its fraud. Obviously he is being a coward and ignoring these people so I don't feel sympathy for him at all!!

Not to mention lots of people here donated to his Africa Trip!!!!

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 01/09/2004 22:12

I know Rob well enough to know that he wasn't implying that it's "okay" because he "didn't mean to do this." He's just drawing a distinction. To be honest, both of us are shocked. We keep looking on our porches to see if he actually shipped the things. But when it comes down to it, I have to create this elaborate situation in which it would make sense for him to what he's doing with no intention of screwing us. On the other hand, the easiest explanation is that he has no intention of shipping our players or returning our money. Sucks too... seems like a nice guy.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 02/09/2004 14:20

I seriously think he's just super lazy and doesn't think it's a big deal. But who knows. I've hung out with him a number of times and he's a super nice guy, but I can't say i'd ever vouch for him again. He's now not responding to me either.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 02/09/2004 14:32

Quote:
but I can't say i'd ever vouch for him again

Yeah, he's totally burned you on this. Not right.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 02/09/2004 14:58

Now that we've both contacted him (last week) saying that we have no other option but to assume he's screwing us and that leads us to contact the authorities, I see no way in which he can think it's no big deal.

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 10/09/2004 16:32

updates?

Re: FS: 50Gb MK2a + Spare and Extras! - 10/09/2004 19:13

Nope. Maybe I should take donations to fly my ass out to California.

Way to go Justin Larsen. - 11/09/2004 22:12

It's such a great feeling to see other RioCars come up for sale (even ones with no drives like I was looking for) but not being able to afford one because you already dished out 200 bucks to some dipshit. Yep, it's just great.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 11/09/2004 23:30

Quote:
It's such a great feeling to see other RioCars come up for sale (even ones with no drives like I was looking for) but not being able to afford one because you already dished out 200 bucks to some dipshit. Yep, it's just great.

He will get his. Possibly the other guy ( Thrasher ) can make a personal visit w/ the police? Have you filed complaints and what not? It will take some work and ph calling but you should be able to get him in trouble or get your $$ back.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/09/2004 20:48

Well the police will not get involved. They said I would have to sue him to get my money back. I emailed him agian last week to try to get him to do the right thing and send us are stuff. Believe it or not he replied and said he is just really lazy and has not shipped it to us yet. Two months later still waiting. He will get his one way or another. If I were him I would hate living my life always looking over my shoulder.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/09/2004 21:11

Quote:
Well the police will not get involved. They said I would have to sue him to get my money back. I emailed him agian last week to try to get him to do the right thing and send us are stuff. Believe it or not he replied and said he is just really lazy and has not shipped it to us yet. Two months later still waiting. He will get his one way or another. If I were him I would hate living my life always looking over my shoulder.

The police have to get involved. Keep bugging them and filing complaints. There was a guy before who didn't deliver empegs before and he got arrested. So this would be no different.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/09/2004 22:06

If it was over a thousand dollares or is it two. Then they will get involved. I will give it another try and keep bugging the petaluma police office and see what happens. Thanks for the idea.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/09/2004 23:51

I wondering if I have a special case since I was robbed over state lines. Loren, have you run into him at the skate park? I don't want to get you involved, but we'd really appreciate his help and any additional pressure.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/09/2004 02:53

If the money was sent via post, you may be able to complain via the postal service, too. That makes it mail fraud, which the post office can investigate -- they take a very dim view of people perpetrating mail fraud. Typically, people recommend sending the mail via priority post, or something like that, which generates a paper trail (can't remember exactly), along with a description of what the payment is for, but if you've got emails, that might serve, instead.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/09/2004 14:48

I haven't run into him. He didn't show last time he said he'd meet me there. Not sure what I can do. If i showed up at his doorstep and tried to act threatening it would just be humorous... i'm not all that intimidating. Wish i was.
Posted by: andym

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/09/2004 15:04

Quote:
I haven't run into him. He didn't show last time he said he'd meet me there. Not sure what I can do. If i showed up at his doorstep and tried to act threatening it would just be humorous... i'm not all that intimidating. Wish i was.

Maybe a chat face to face might explain to us all why he's acting like this. It may also drive home to him that he's doing something really wrong.
Posted by: cushman

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/09/2004 16:43

Maybe set up some scripts to e-mail his work/home e-mail address every few hours or so.

Adopt some spamming techniques to get past his spam filters.. random words from a dictionary.

IM bots too, so when he comes online he gets slammed with "Why did you take my money" IM's.

Got his cellphone number? I'm sure there is a way to text message it. It probably has an e-mail address.

There are other shadier things I'm sure you could think up.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/09/2004 16:49

Quote:
There are other shadier things I'm sure you could think up.

Probably nothing more shady than stealing money after establishing trust on a BBS. Even worse after this forum helped buy him a ticket to Africa.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/09/2004 17:12

Quote:
Even worse after this forum helped buy him a ticket to Africa.

Hm. Did we ever see any pictures of Africa?
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/09/2004 00:45

Quote:
Hm. Did we ever see any pictures of Africa?

Not that I saw... I wrote it off as a donation to the "beer/party/crack" fund...

Sean in NC
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/09/2004 00:53

At Amersfoort, I believe Alvin (Mach) said that Justin had stayed with him (in Paris?) on his way, so it seems likely that he did make an international trip of some sort. He also mentioned that he missed his flight from there.

MarkCushman may have saved the day... - 15/09/2004 01:10

I'd like to publicly thank Mark Cushman here.

I won't get into how he did it, I'll leave that up to him. But I was just emailed a tracking number. We'll see if it's legit and how it works out, but I really appreciate Mark's effort and everyone's support on this regardless of how it turns out.

Mark, you rock. Everyone, go install Palantir now!
Posted by: Daria

Re: MarkCushman may have saved the day... - 15/09/2004 01:45

Quote:

Mark, you rock. Everyone, go install Palintir now!

Unless I'm willing to break gpsapp, there's no point (also I'm still out of memory)

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/09/2004 02:15

Thank you very much for helping us out. Dam I don't no how you did it. Just got a tracking number too. I will also let you guys no if I get everthing. What a nightmare this has been. LOL

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/09/2004 02:19

He should have waited a few more months... It would have been a nice Christmas gift from myself!

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/09/2004 02:25

LOL, I'll gladly take mine now. Let me when you get it.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 20/09/2004 01:50

???

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 20/09/2004 02:31

Hi, I recieved my empeg player from justin. It was missing the two remotes the lens kit and the power adapter and case I paid for. But he did reply to my emial and said he was going to send it to me. Thanks agian Mark and everyone for helping us.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 20/09/2004 03:44

Have you guys received them yet?
Mark care to enlighten us on how you managed to get him to ship the players?

EDIT: doh! I can explain this one I'm not blind, had the post written out and on the preview page hadn't clicked 'continue', got busy at work..

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 20/09/2004 05:16

Wow, great news (except for the missing bits, but at least you have some of it). Let's hope the other shipment hits its mark as well. Man, what a TENSE set of months this has been!

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 20/09/2004 08:31

According to UPS, mine should arrive today. I'll update after work.

Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 21/09/2004 22:36

Does this look funny?

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 21/09/2004 22:39

Quote:
Does this look funny?

Yes

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 21/09/2004 22:44

I'm guessing that I should email the serial number to someone huh?

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 21/09/2004 22:54

without having an MkIIa in front of me at the moment, I think the only thing that looks scrathced out is just copyright info. If this is your first MkIIa, the serial number area on the back of the unit was too small to hold the serial number sticker, so it was never stuck there. It should be on the bottom of the unit.

I am not sure why someone would scratch that stuff off.

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 21/09/2004 23:01

This is what the back should look like:

And here's the serial number sticker:
Posted by: cushman

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 21/09/2004 23:19

All I did was try to send him an IM... I got his roommate instead. I pointed him to this thread, and said that his reputation was really getting killed and that maybe he ought to do something about it. I think that if we had bugged him via IM more it might have been resolved sooner.

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 21/09/2004 23:45

I took a look at my Rio and noticed the same thing...I can't think of any reason someone would file just "some" of the back off... maybe it was an experiment. The serial number is still stuck on the bottom.

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 00:23

Very odd, but could be some "custom mod" that was his preference. You can always verify the serial number in the About menu and on the chip inside. I really hope this isn't shady.

thrasher, is yours ok?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 00:50

He probably just had his name written on the back with a magic marker. No biggie.

Cheers

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 01:12

Looking at that first pic, it looks like the Rio logo wasn't even there originally...

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 02:36

Very weird.

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 09:34

What sucks is that the only reason I'm even raising an eyebrow at this is because of the circumstances leading upto this. The fact remains that the serial number is still stuck on the bottom and I should be able to get it even if it weren't.

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 11:29

The only thing that I can see that would achieve would be to reduce the chances of someone linking that device to this BBS. Of course, that would also require a custom boot logo, and still wouldn't completely remove traceability - the player software contains enough information to work out what it is. (during boot and via 'About').

I can't see why that would be a useful thing to do. Even if someone was fencing a stolen unit, the buyer would need some software to upload tracks...

And if I were trying to remove serial number traceability, I'd start with the sticker on the bottom, and also remove the serial number box to try and make it appear that maybe it didn't have a serial number at all.

I think it's just a personal preference thing. Maybe that text got scratched somehow and he decided it looked better like that.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 14:29

If the player was upgraded I could see doing that just to be a smart ass or maybe he didn't want the Rio name on there and didn't get around to doing the one on the top.

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 16:33

Here's the reason... horses mouth and all:

Justin : ooh.. lol it was just to make it descrete
Justin : becuase i didt want the rio logo on there
Justin : just the empeg logo like the normal MKII
Justin : i didt liek the idea the rio bought them out

Re: Looks like a file was taken to this.. - 22/09/2004 18:10

Quote:
Justin : i didt liek the idea the rio bought them out

Ah, good old Justin, I miss his typing skills...

Display is dead out of box - 24/09/2004 21:43

I guess I never bothered to ask if the player worked or not...

I powered up the player for the first time since getting it via UPS and the diplay doesn't work. Not even the blinking LED. I can hear a drive spinning up, but who knows. Emplode isn't finding it through network broadcast, but I'll have to hook up a serial cable to know what's going on....

Sigh. Was so looking forward to putting Alpha8 on this tonight, I finally picked up a microphone.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 24/09/2004 22:15

Hmmm... No LED? Then it might be that the display board cable is loose. Even with a broken VFD or bad fuse (unless they are all gone, you will see a blinking LED. How does the boot log look?

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 00:15

Oh this is just classic...

I open the case... wondering why the drives look weird when I realize that there are no screws holding the sled in place... yep, the drives are just bouncing around in there (and were while shipped from CA to Detroit. And the display cable was about an inch away from it's connector....

What will I find next?

I need some screws now.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 00:44

hehe you can start writing a book on your experiences with this empeg

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 01:09

Quote:
I need some screws now.

That's it, I'm ordering those screws now (as in, immediately). Been "getting to it" for months now. I should have them in a week and can mail you a handfull if you want.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 01:19

WOW, That is a real bummer. I hope you get it working.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 01:46

Quote:

Sigh. Was so looking forward to putting Alpha8 on this tonight, I finally picked up a microphone.

What microphone did you get? The one you were talking about in the autoeq thread?

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 09:35

Yeah, that's the one. Until I get some screws to hold the sled onto the chasis, I won't be able to tell you if it works or not. I can always return it if it doesn't.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 09:50

Greetings!

Actually, that is pretty tame. You can test the player with the sled completely removed. Just boot without the drive tray in place, taking a log file. You will be able to test the display and the electronics.

Once that is verified, drop a formatted drive in place (cabled up but not screwed onto either the shock mount or sled) and try a boot. Just run the empeg open with the drive on the tray / tray balanced on the case. Granted, you will not be able to run it in the car or sealed until you have drive screws (although I have for short periods of time under AC power), but you can at least set up the empeg to your liking and load music in.

As to how it happen, it fits the pattern. Your seller probably wanted whatever drives were in there, removed the tray, got the drives out, put whatever HD (if any) was lying around into the empeg but did not bother to seal it or lost the screws.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 10:01

Sorry, I shoujld have updated here in addition to the IRC #empeg channel... The player does boot up fine (havn't seen Beta11 in a while!) and the display works. My only problem at this point, at leas that I'm aware of, is that I can't put it all back together.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 10:09

Beta 11? Wow - that is pretty ancient. I think there was something that worked (tuner wise) with B11 that broke later on, but I am not certain... Well, in any case, that is great news! The screws are relatively easy to get. I am glad it worked out!

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 16:09

Let me know if you manage to get those screws...

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 16:11

Can you substitute with a different screw until the others are available?

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 16:41

Yeah, if you bring the drive tray to the hardware store, they should have a wall of screws and such, so you can try them out to make sure they fit the thread. I was able to find screws of the right thread for the Mk1 drive tray no problem.

In fact, if you can find some flat head ones instead of pan head ones, that's even better than the real screws because they'll be lower clearance.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 25/09/2004 20:39

How many did you order? My drive tray screws are getting a bit worn!

Re: Display is dead out of box - 26/09/2004 04:03

I ordered boxes of 100 for each of the:
Drive screws (both 5mm and 6mm length, because of varying opinion on size)
Sled screws
Washers

Now I feel kind of wrong handing these out because Eutronix has just made them for sale on their site. I don't want to be a jerk and undercut them. ::shrugs::

Haha, I probably WILL need them all, though, because I tend to thread the crap out of the sled screws each time I take them out. Single-use-sled-screws, practically.

Re: Display is dead out of box - 26/09/2004 12:08

Are you using the wrong screwdriver? Perhaps that would be a good addition to your order...

Re: Display is dead out of box - 26/09/2004 16:32

Quote:
Are you using the wrong screwdriver? Perhaps that would be a good addition to your order...

Nope I think that's just because he doesn't know his own strength. My hand still throbs from the handshake when we met in Amersfoort!

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/10/2004 21:02

Mark how you doin, I was wondering is there any chance of you (IM) justin's roomate agian and see if you can get him to ship the rest of my stull.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/10/2004 21:04

The saga continues!

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 13/10/2004 21:13

LOL

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 14/10/2004 20:32

Blimey.... there's more!?

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/10/2004 01:43

Just two remotes one ac adapter and 5 lenses and a custom hard case with locks, He said he would send it to me. I do not understand the holdup.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/10/2004 01:53

I guess you can add a "Darkstorm Dock" (?) and a DVD to my list. I'm not too concerned about the DVD, but I was curious about the dock.

For the record, Mark didn't have his roommate's IM name. He IM'd Justin and his roommate happened to be at the computer. Justin's IM is in his profile here.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/10/2004 01:55

What kind of hard case were you supposed to get like a pelican kind of one ?

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/10/2004 02:02

I think it was some type of pelican case I am really not sure. Brad I recieved a darkstorm dock with the stuff I bought. If you would like it I can ship it to you.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/10/2004 02:05

Yes I see it but I do not have it instaled on my cumputer. IM that is.

Pelican case - 15/10/2004 02:30

I have a pelican 1200 I don't want so if you want one I can send it to you.

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 03:08

WOW, Thats really cool, Thanks. But I really never have used any of my casses that I have now. Including my orig empeg case. Thanks for the offer thou.

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 03:10

Yeah I never use one either I got it with a used empeg.

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 03:16

I got a surplus pelican from a link someone posted here years ago. I always use it. I keep my hex wrench and phillips small screwdriver in it

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 03:30

Thats funny, because when I bought the stuff from justin thats the same thought I had for the case he was offering. Somthing to put tools in.lol

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 03:33

Well, I keep the 2 tools I use to open the empeg in it, with the empeg.

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 06:12

I'd love to have that Pelican 1200 if it's up for grabs!

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 15/10/2004 09:40

It looks like he may have just gotten things mixed up. My player was shipped in a case (I thought he did it because I ordered a bare player and it was something easy to ship it in). I just Googled some images and it looks like he shipped my Dock to you and your Case to me. If you want, it might be easier to just trade. It seems you don't have much desire for the case and I'm not really dying for the dock. I could probably get some use out of the case when I DJ with the empeg.

Just let me know. Too bad he didn't ship me your remotes and power supply, then i could send those to you and we'd be all set!

Re: Pelican case - 15/10/2004 10:28

Sure just send me your address and I will ship it out.

Re: Way to go Justin Larsen. - 16/10/2004 02:37

Thats pretty funny. The case is yours, lol. If you want the dock I will ship it to you. I no I will never use it. It is just some plastic glued together.

Re: Pelican case - 05/11/2004 02:15

Hi Loren have you hapened to see justin around anywere.
Posted by: tman

Re: Pelican case - 05/11/2004 02:22

Uh oh...
Posted by: webroach

Re: Pelican case - 05/11/2004 10:06

Quote:
Uh oh...

For some reason that struck me as one of the funniest things ever.

Re: Pelican case - 05/11/2004 13:06

lol, Yes I am still waiting on the two remotes, lenses, ac adapter. He told me me he was going to send them when he got back from his week vaca in Canada. But that was two months ago. I would love to have the remotes.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Pelican case - 05/11/2004 13:29

Hopefully that deadbeat isn't still up here.

In cases like this, often the only known cure is a swift kick to the head. Really.

Bruno

Re: Pelican case - 05/11/2004 16:13

Nope, since I lost my job up in San Rafael, I won't be going up there any more and I doubt I'll see him anymore.

Re: Pelican case - 06/11/2004 02:53

I am really sorry to hear about that. Thanks for replying back. With your talent Im sure you will find somthing you like soon.

Re: Pelican case - 06/11/2004 02:56

Im still going to my anger managment classes. I don't think that would be a very good idea. lol

Justin Larsen is at it again? - 13/09/2005 21:10

Check out this email I just got:
Quote:
Brad,

My name is Dan Txxx. I just recently got ripped off by a guy named
Justin Larsen for a $1200 US Apple powerbook. He made all sorts of
excuses as to why I hadn't gotten it yet,and after getting the
runaround for a tracking number, I finally decided to do something
about it. I looked up his name on the internet and discovered his
scam that he pulled on you and another member of the unofficial empeg
bbs last year. If you never received the goods you paid for at all,
only half or it was misrepresented in any way at all, I urge you to
file a mail fraud report. Guys like this only get investigated if
enough people complain about him - you might not see your $$$ back,
but at least it stops him from continuing these scams on somebody
else. I've already filed my mail fraud complaint - if you need help
with the process, just email me back.

Sincerely,
Dan Txxx
Posted by: Gallagher419

Re: Justin Larsen is at it again? - 13/09/2005 23:49

The guy is a real Piece of Shit! Someone should pound him to the ground it's the only way to deal with people like him!

Re: Justin Larsen is at it again? - 15/09/2005 01:48

Wow. It's still hard for me to picture him doing stuff like this with the actual intent of defrauding someone instead of just being an incredibly lazy jerk off. But I'm a trusting person I guess. It pisses me off that we all donated money to him to help him visit his girlfriend across the globe.
Posted by: andy

Re: Justin Larsen is at it again? - 15/09/2005 08:54

Quote:
It pisses me off that we all donated money to him to help him visit his
girlfriend across the globe.

I don't know about other people, but I never actually ended up donating him money. I did Paypal him $50, but it was returned after a month because Paypal reversed the payment as he hadn't collected it.

Re: Justin Larsen is at it again? - 15/09/2005 22:35

Wow, people sent him money and he never claimed it? Maybe that Powerbook is sitting on his desk and he's not motivated enough to put it in a box and mail it.

Seriously though, I've known people where: The more you tell them to do something, the less they do it. Some even get downright belligerent, shouting back empty reasons why they shouldn't do what is so clearly their responsibility. I've never figured out how to deal with this situation.

Re: Justin Larsen is at it again? - 18/09/2005 02:09

I sort of pegged him as that type... but I dunno... he was pretty much a kid driving around in a supped up way to pricey for him Beamer. Seemed like a nice dood though. Laziness was always his excuse for the other situation he got in here when I asked him about it.