RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System

Posted by: K.Ellern

RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 20:46

I've got quite a pile of stuff for sale. One item might be of significant interest even for it's historic value.

First the bits and pieces:

Lenses
1 Green
3 Red
2 Blue

Empeg Carry Bags
3 Black
1 Blue

Sleds
2 Sleds

And the biggie...

Complete Demo Station

This thing was used to demonstrate the capabilities of the Rio Car products at CES back in the old days. This is a complete car system built into a "home" box. I'm not totally sure what every component is (in terms of Specs) but what I can surmize is the following:

1 5gig Empeg player with Blue Lens Serial Number 08000240 (MK2 I believe)
1 Rio Car Remote
2 Punch 400aIV amp
2 Boston Accoustics ProSeries 6.5 3x cross-overs
1 10" Sub (Boston Accoustics, unsure the part number)
2 6" Mids (Boston Accoustics, unsure the part number)
2 4" mids (Boston Accoustics, unsure the part number)
2 1.5" tweeters (Boston Accoustics, unsure the part number)
1 Sled and all the associated wiring

All in a very nice wooden stand. The Amp Panel removes to show the cross overs below (see photo's below).

I'm not really sure what to do with this thing. I could part it out or install it all into my wifes car (I've got one in my own already), but it would be a shame to break it all up. It sounds awesome and looks quite nice next to the ping pong table. I'm sure I could up the value of the player itself by increasing it's memory, but as I am not the most technical person, I would assume someone here would be more apt to do it.

I didn't build the thing, I kind of inherrited it. As I recall making the thing cost many thousands of dollars and that was with a deep discount from Boston Accoustics. Shipping the thing from Oregon to somewhere might be a bit costly - it's maybe 50 lbs or so. Breaking it down would be an option, but probably best to get it crated up somewhere.

I'm looking for suggestions on what this thing might be valued at. I'm not SURE I want to part with it, but I'm not using it currently and would entertain ideas on selling it to a good home. In fact, I'm not really sure what any of this stuff is worth

A few more photos
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 20:52

Wow!
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 21:13

After all that, this seems a bit silly, but I could use the green lens. How much?
Posted by: redmosquito

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 21:28

dibs on the black empeg bag!
Posted by: loren

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 21:29

SICK. If i only had a garage... THAT would be the centerpiece.
Posted by: Mach

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 21:52

I'd like a blue and a black Empeg bag.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 21:56

So how much for the empeg bags as I may be interested in the last one?
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 22:04

I'd love an empeg bag too. Either color.

Matthew
Posted by: Laura

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 22:21

I agree with you Paul, wow. Now that would be a nice home stereo system but who could afford to buy it.

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 22:25

You could donate the Demo Station as a door prize for the Cincinnati Meet (worth a try)
Posted by: genixia

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 22:35

Quote:
You could donate the Demo Station as a door prize for the Cincinnati Meet

That's a great idea! It'd be the perfect prize for the "Best install by an Englishman in a Volkswagen with Massachusetts plates" competition.
Posted by: loren

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 22:42

not to be a stick in the mud but you should make sure the bags go to folks who don't have one at all and are carrying around naked empegs (dread the thought).
Posted by: adavidw

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 23:07

Quote:
folks who don't have one at all and are carrying around naked empegs

Like me! I'd love a bag of any color.

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 23:14

Good try but I was thinking it would be the prize for the best install in a Ford Freestar
Posted by: genixia

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 19/07/2004 23:16

Hmm. I don't really want to have to buy a Freestar...

That thing would look great on the deck of a cabin though!
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 02:22

... wow. Does that unit sound good enough to really fill a room and act as a primary home stereo? Good stereo seperation? Do the speakers rotate or tilt outward?

I will (hopefully) be moving into my own place soon, and for my entire life I've wanted a decent speaker setup. For so long, my only alternative has been to use headphones 100% of the time in order to get the good sound.

Hm, I'm tempted to look up the value of the components just to get a rough starting price idea......

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 03:19

I've had several inquiries on the stuff not too many suggesting price/value on things.

Lenses - as I recall, even at Rio, the Green & Blue were impossible to find.

Bag's - yes that's really a blue bag. I suppose I should hang on to one of them for my own use. Someone said $40.... going once...

As to the home system, I would think that RobV or Hugo might remember if from CES to verify but, yes, it sounds huge. Much more powerful than my home stereo in fact. I use it to supply music for the entire house when I have had big parties (3 story house) and the neighbors complained... so I put on music they liked so they would shut up (har).

I'll keep fielding inquiries for a while to try and get a sense of the value. I want everyone to get a chance. Someone was kind enough to suggest the basic prices for the stuff if you got it new (in a PM) so maybe I'll summarize that tomorrow.
Posted by: Mach

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 04:04

You have PM.
Posted by: Taym

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 07:32

Late but... let me WOW too... Guys, there's some historic parts, here! Bags, and the stand itself... I'd get the stand now if I had somewhere to place it....
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 10:12

Wow IV, if it's going to someone who already has a spare player to put in it, I would love to buy the empeg unit with dock etc.., or even if you're parting it off

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 10:20

I will admit that the display is really tempting, but I have no where to put it.
Posted by: Gleep

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 10:35

I would like a bag, either color.
Posted by: Terminator

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 13:18

Your looking for a fair price, how about $800-900? Not offering to buy, just suggesting a price.
Posted by: Skunk

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 14:11

Quote:
I'd get the stand now if I had somewhere to place it....

You can place it at my place free of charge.
Posted by: redmosquito

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 16:03

Quote:
not to be a stick in the mud but you should make sure the bags go to folks who don't have one at all and are carrying around naked empegs (dread the thought).

my poor naked empeg. i feel like a street bum begging for clothes.

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 16:32

There is always nacho cheese.
Posted by: bodybag

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 18:05

I'd be interested in the display, but without the Empeg (I've got quite a few already). Would most likely make it easier for you to sell the Empeg and misc Empeg parts anyway. I could arrange the shipping but would need you to package the unit on your end. PM me with an idea of what you'd like to get for the display without the Empeg and extras.
Posted by: oliver

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 18:27

I'd pay $50 for a bag, doesn't really matter which color. Any bag is better than just carrying by the handle.
Posted by: gwpeg

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 20/07/2004 23:37

I am interested in on of the sleds if you still have them. Please let me know. Thanks!
Posted by: Neutrino

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 22/07/2004 04:27

OK, I'm interested in the stand. Preferably without the Rio as I have several already. Why don't you email me an asking price, or list one here. I live in Wa so it would be a pick up.

[email protected]

Opps I didn't see BodyBags post, He has first dibs on it!! Let me know if you guys don't come to an agreement.

Hi Gang!! Long time no on Rio board!!

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 22/07/2004 11:50

Not sure if that stand has the empeg sled in it, if it doesn't then I'd like to also get one of those sleds with the empeg, thats if the two offers for the stand without the empeg come through...

thanks

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 22/07/2004 21:57

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay on this stuff. I've been crushed with work and have friend coming in from out of town this weekend.

I've had a lot of requests for pricing and such on all the stuff, but I can't wrap my head around responding to everyone individually. I'm a little shocked how many people want in on this stuff.

I'm thinking what I'll have to do is let Ebay figure this all out. So, next week when I get some time, I'll put a few things up there and take it from there.

Again, sorry for the delay. Life is hectic!
Posted by: Neutrino

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 23/07/2004 02:43

Grrrrr
Posted by: rob

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 25/07/2004 14:51

Are you going to list the player seperately to the demo stand? I really want to get the latter (back) but have plenty of the former!

Rob
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 25/07/2004 16:39

I say bump Rob to the front of the line for the stand. It's only right (I'm sure a lot of people will agree) that someone from the empeg team get a chance to keep this piece of history "in-house" so to speak.

Bruno

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 25/07/2004 20:53

I want the player, I want the player
so it's all sorted now.. no need for ebay :P
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: RioCar Stuff & RioCar Home System - 28/07/2004 02:17

Haha, I relinquish my desire for the awesome-sound three-story-filling empeg stand. Heck, all I want are one of each of the classic lenses. Specifically blue so I can color match for the button project, but that's a topic for another thread....