Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar

Posted by: jc15973

Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 09/09/2004 13:08

I'm looking for a Rio Receiver or something similar.
The plan is just to be able to play music from a computer hard disk through my HiFi system using an ethernet link or similar, and be able to play lists of tracks from different categories.
I beleive the Rio Receiver may be able to do this and therefore interested in getting hold of one. Preferable in the UK. Can anyone help ?
Thanks
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 09/09/2004 14:34

Quote:
I beleive the Rio Receiver may be able to do this

Yes, the Rio Receiver does exactly that, and only that, and does it quite nicely. There are several other products on the market by different companies which also do the same thing, just so you know. There is also third party replacement server/client software for the Rio Receiver being discussed in the Rio Reciver/Programming section of this board.

You can also get a Rio Central, which can act as a standalone server to multiple Rio Receivers, so you don't have to leave your PC on all the time if you don't want to.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 09/09/2004 23:52

Are we allowed to talk about V3a8 "RE"? That might solve the problem if installed on a spare empeg.

But if you don't have a spare empeg, then the Receiver seems like the solution.
Posted by: jc15973

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 10/09/2004 04:47

Where can I buy one of these items, either a receiver or a central unit ? I've trauled through search engines and e-bay and cannot see one for sale anywhere, UK or USA.
Posted by: The Central Guy

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 10/09/2004 05:20

I know someone who bought a Central from Overstock.com not too long ago. They currently show the units as "Out of Stock" but still list them on the website...Here's the link for $389...

Linky

Randy
Posted by: andy

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 10/09/2004 14:13

The huge downside of the Rio Receiver however is its lousy display. It is almost impossible to read at any distance. Even close up some of them are hard to see (one of mine is much worse than the other).

There are simialar devices around now that have far better displays. One such example is http://www.slimdevices.com/ (but there are others)
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 10/09/2004 14:30

I'm really likin this thing: Onkyo Embeds Linux in Your Living Room .
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 11/09/2004 10:03

email sent
Posted by: Daria

Re: Wanted - Rio Receiver or similar - 11/09/2004 16:14

Quote:
You can also get a Rio Central, which can act as a standalone server to multiple Rio Receivers, so you don't have to leave your PC on all the time if you don't want to.

Theoretically. Don't seem to be many floating around anymore.