WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb

Posted by: Narkotic

WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 26/07/2005 19:33

I've seen them all over ebay, etc..but not sure if thats a good source.. anyone have any drives 80gb or more or reccomend a good place online to purchase... Thanks
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 26/07/2005 20:58

You may want to change your subject since it reads "less than or equal to".
Posted by: Sipho

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 26/07/2005 21:04

Pricewatch is a good place to start. I've had good luck with Dirt Cheap Drives

-- Craig
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 26/07/2005 21:19

Pervert.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 26/07/2005 22:25

I used to have luck with Dirt Cheap Drives, then I had a string of bad luck. I stopped dealing with them and moved on to ZipZoomFly, formerly Googlegear.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 27/07/2005 23:56

Mwave, Mwave, Mwave. Maybe not the super'ist of prices, but always quality products.

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 28/07/2005 03:12

[censored]. I finally found a reasonable drive only to find that the empeg doesn't like it. 80gb Toshiba. I've searched the FAQ, and the board, and it looks like everyone else w/ toshiba drives have had this problem. It just won't pump the drive, locks up during the builder image then gives the ol' x25 error. Tried w/ the other drives and it works fine, not a cable/ide header issue.

UGH. Wish it said something about toshiba drives in the FAQ!
Anyone else have this problem lately w/ a toshiba?

Thanks
Posted by: simspos

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 28/07/2005 08:33

Can you get around the problem by building manually using "Roger's Guide"?

I used his instructions to format a 3.5" 80GB drive on a windows machine by booting off a "Knoppix" CD, worked a treat.

Cheers, Sim

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 28/07/2005 14:24

This would be wonderful, I was thinking of a such solution but didn't have the knowledge. Could someone point me in the right direction?

It would be appreciated.
Posted by: simspos

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 28/07/2005 14:28

Here's the links:

http://www.differentpla.net/node/view/199

then

http://www.differentpla.net/node/view/200

It really is simple, you just follow the instructions line by line

Cheers, Sim

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 28/07/2005 23:47

Well I followed those links perfectly, and it all worked. But when I go to install the player image it still sticks at "selecting pump device" then fails.

Is there any way to manually install the player image as well?
Posted by: Glen_L

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 29/07/2005 01:17

If you check out the Disk Upgrade Guide, a Toshiba compatibility problem is mentioned in the "Selecting a Disk Drive" section. The link at the end of one paragraph (leading here) seems to parallel your problem with a resolution.

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 29/07/2005 01:20

If I plug the drive in as a secondary drive, it boots up fine and I can see /drive1 (it mounts). Just can't install the car player program.

If I do a ctrl-A, it takes me to pump> , what commands can I do from here if any?

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 29/07/2005 01:38

Glen.. you rock man. I don't know how I skipped over that, but it worked!! Shorted pin 28 and 30 and WALLA!

You deserve a beer my friend.
Posted by: Glen_L

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 29/07/2005 02:46

No problem, glad all is well now. Doing a FAQ search on 'Toshiba' returned 0 hits, but I knew I remembered reading about the snafu somewhere. I opened the Drive Upgrade Guide and there it was--apparently the search doesn't dig that deep.

I'll drink a brew for you this weekend when I'm at Tahoe with my buddies
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 29/07/2005 16:03

Quote:
WALLA

voila
Posted by: ninti

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 31/07/2005 07:25

Quote:
Mwave, Mwave, Mwave.

It's always funny when I hear someone mention them, since I live within spitting distance of the place and have gone to their offices to pick will-call stuff up on many an occasion. You wouldn't think they are this huge nation-wide outfit that a lot of people know about just by looking at them.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: WTB: Harddrive <=80Gb - 31/07/2005 21:31

I've been shopping with them for almost 5 years... from the other side of the country. I heard about them through word of mouth, unlike all the banners on hardware sites for NewEgg, GoogleGear, etc.

MWave bought out or otherwise acquired an east coast warehouse in Pennsylvania. That location only stocks the simple stuff (keyboards, powerstrips, etc), but still, it must help their distribution somewhat.

They really have grown over the years, but by looking at their site, you wouldn't know. I used them as my exclusive hardware for years at my university IT position. They have slight educational discounts, accept university purchase orders, and roll up an order for many parts into a single quote number. Very helpful to the clerical staff.