WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock

Posted by: Raas

WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 12/01/2006 12:46

Hi,

If your thinking of selling one, let me know..

Price dependant on condition, but thinking around £100 mark.

Cheers.
Posted by: mlord

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 13/01/2006 20:49

Quote:
If your thinking of selling one, let me know..

Price dependant on condition, but thinking around £100 mark.

How about a *new* one? I'm musing about making myself another one, and doing two isn't that much more effort.

-Mark

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 13/01/2006 22:24

Anyone else? Fully-wired Works, possibly with solid hardwood tops/bottoms?

I'm making one for myself, and have ordered wiring/fans etc.. for five in total.

-ml
Posted by: Robotic

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 13/01/2006 23:43

Quote:
Anyone else?

Yes- I'm interested in a nice one.
Can you give an idea of the cost?
Thanks-
Posted by: genixia

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 13/01/2006 23:54

I'd be interested in a solid wood model!

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 14/01/2006 00:08

Okay, that's potentially 4/5 spoken for.

No cost number yet -- it depends somewhat on how much TLC I end up putting into them. The curly cherry series sold for US$220 each (EDIT: it was $240 each, including shipping within North America), I think. These ones may be comparable, or less if I use lesser wood. The thing with using real wood is, I generally have-to / prefer-to apply a shellac finish to them as well. That ups my cost, and my effort considerably. But not so bad if I can spread it out over five at once.

No pricing until they've been made.

Cheers
Posted by: robricc

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 14/01/2006 00:45

I'd be down for another.
Posted by: caseyse

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 14/01/2006 00:50

Missed tha last batch. I would like two. Any possibility of hardwood docks?

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 15/01/2006 12:17

MMmmm... as usual, just when I think I have time to do some woodworking, my inbox fills up again (potential contracts, as if I didn't already have enough of them here! -- no I'm not complaining!).

I did rummage around the woodshop last evening, and it appears that last time around I cut out enough extra bits and pieces for exactly five all-MDF docks. So now the path of least resistance is calling.. those could be glued up, sanded, and ready for wiring within a couple of days. The wiring will take another day.

Making a batch of solid-wood tops/bottoms for them would take an extra full day, plus a couple hours a day for a week or so to apply the shellac those would need.

But I already have MDF tops/bottoms, and I don't apply a finish to those..

Mmm...
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: WTB: Mark Lord Home Dock - 17/01/2006 21:12

Quote:
The curly cherry series sold for US$220 each (EDIT: it was $240 each, including shipping within North America), I think.

And it was worth EVERY penny of it... Beautiful dock and still works great!

Bluewood docks? - 21/01/2006 15:11

Okay, here's what I'm considering for at least a couple of the upcoming limited run of Empeg docks.

I have some reclaimed boom log wood from my home province of New Brunswick. My dad actually salvaged an old boom log from the town lake, and resawed it into theoretically usable lumber.

This is the most worm-eaten wood I have ever seen, and were it of a nice hardwood variety, it would be quite valuable and sought after. But it's just some softwood from the turn of the (previous) century, likely pine or spruce, and with very tight growth rings (a Good Thing).

So it's not sturdy enough for anything large, but I think it will make rather novel empeg dock tops/bottoms.

My concept is to lightly dye the wood to a red hue, and then fill the open worm holes with contrasting Empeg Blue filler. A nice glossy clearcoat would then be applied over it all.

Definitely different.

Here's a very rough look at a small scrap that I've been playing with. The intended final look would be a merger between the two variations, done with a bit more care.

For scale, the patch above is about the same size as a Rio Remote.

Cheers

Re: Bluewood docks? - 21/01/2006 15:18

This sample is closer to what I had in mind, though I think perhaps just a shade more of the red dye would be nicer.

For scale, that patch above is about half the size of a Rio Remote, shown here much larger than life.

Cheers
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Bluewood docks? - 21/01/2006 16:24

That looks pretty awesome.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Bluewood docks? - 22/01/2006 05:12

I want!
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Bluewood docks? - 22/01/2006 12:25

Oooooh!!!! That is nice!!!
Posted by: julf

Re: Bluewood docks? - 22/01/2006 13:58

Quote:
I want!

AOL!

Re: Bluewood docks? - 22/01/2006 16:25

Mmm... I'm having difficulty in getting the blue theme to work nicely -- it keeps reacting with something (?) and producing slight greenish blotches that spoil the overall appearance. Still trying, though -- added a second barrier coat of shellac this time, before going for the blue filler.

Meanwhile, I tried some "antique teak wax" (a wax/stain combo) on the naked wood, without pre-filling the wormholes, and it looks and feels wonderful to me. And this is *by far* the quickest finish I have for wood, it's so fast and easy to apply. We may have a winner, with the simple approach.

But I *really* want some empeg blue finished ones, too!

Cheers
Posted by: genixia

Re: Bluewood docks? - 22/01/2006 23:40

Woah, that looks great! I hope that you can get the blue working.

Re: Bluewood docks? - 19/02/2006 20:17

Quote:
Mmm... I'm having difficulty in getting the blue theme to work nicely -- it keeps reacting with something (?) and producing slight greenish blotches that spoil the overall appearance. Still trying, though -- added a second barrier coat of shellac this time, before going for the blue filler.

Well, that test piece has had tons of time for the shellac to harden by now, so today I squished some blue filler into the wormholes, and it looks great. It has just now had a first top coat of shellac laid on, real thick like, and I'll snap a photo or two once that has a chance to dry to a tack-free state. Lots of work, that method, but the result will definitely be unique.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I tried some "antique teak wax" (a wax/stain combo) on the naked wood, without pre-filling the wormholes, and it looks and feels wonderful to me.

This is still a very attractive option -- I think I'll make (at least) one for me using this simple finish.

Cheers

Re: Bluewood docks? - 19/02/2006 20:47

Quote:
.. today I squished some blue filler into the wormholes, and it looks great.

Heh heh.. Okay, I've now definitely isolated the problem I was having before: the blue filler on the latest test piece has now turned into green. I guess it's reacting with the slighly yellowish tone of the shellac, and doing what blue and yellow naturally do when mixed. Bummer.

I could solve this by using a topcoat of spray water-based polyurethane instead, or possibly some other clear topcoat. Dunno if I'll bother though. I'm going to let it all sit for a while (again) now.

Cheers