VFD: Does anyone need any more?

Posted by: pgrzelak

VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 10:12

Greetings!

I am just checking to see if there is any demand for additional VFDs at this time. I am down to my last spare. If you are interested in a spare VFD (last time, they were around $65 each if I remember correctly), post here. Thanks!
Posted by: robricc

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 13:00

I could go for 1 or 2.
Posted by: maczrool

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 14:34

I think you know we want 2 or 3.

Thanks!
Stu

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 15:02

Yes. That is why I started asking - to see what kind of numbers we are looking at for any orders.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 17:09

The hairline crack that I'd noticed in my VFD near the nipple, and that had me asking about spare VFDs recently, finally split completely. There is now a large chip taken out of the glass on the corner, and yet still, the glass is intact and not broken. Man, am I lucky, or what?

Barring accidents, and with a great deal of knocking on wood, I'd say that I don't need the spare I thought I was gonna need.
Posted by: julf

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 17:38

Quote:
Barring accidents, and with a great deal of knocking on wood, I'd say that I don't need the spare I thought I was gonna need.

Just don't sneeze...
Posted by: andym

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 18:03

Having had one die recently I'd definitely go for 1 or 2
Posted by: elperepat

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 16/03/2006 22:10

I'd take 2.
Posted by: StigOE

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 17/03/2006 09:28

I could also take one.

Stig

Re: VFD: Does anyone need any more? - 17/03/2006 11:38

Please read below and let me know if you are still interested. The price is higher (note: this price does not include tax, shipping, packing and reshipping) and the lead time is reasonably long.

Quote:
Cupboard is bare pal - sorry.
Lead-time for more probably 4 to 8 weeks.
Also, regret to say, we've had huge price increase since last time you bought. Less than 100 will be $ 78.07

Regards

I ordered 15 - 17/03/2006 14:02

Greetings!

I did a quick count on this thread and the request sent to my PM. I ordered the high count - 15 VFDs. It might take a while, but it is in process. Assuming they are in stock in Japan and do not require a new run of them, that is...
Posted by: andym

Re: I ordered 15 - 17/03/2006 16:56

Even with a higher unit cost it's worth doing, I think I'll stick with 2 units. The anguish I suffered when one broke was terrible!
Posted by: Jemmi

Re: I ordered 15 - 18/03/2006 15:30

I am interested in one also if it's not too late

Re: I ordered 15 - 24/03/2006 10:02

The order is in process already, but I should have enough to cover it. I will post more when I hear more from Noritake. Thanks!
Posted by: caseyse

Re: I ordered 15 - 25/03/2006 02:31

If available, I would like to order two units.

Update: Noritake shipping in April - 29/03/2006 09:35

Greetings!

Just an update. I got a call from Noritake. They expect the VFDs to arrive in the US, and to be reshipped out to me, sometime around the 10th of April. So expect an update around that time. Thanks!
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: Update: Noritake shipping in April - 04/04/2006 14:10

I would like one too... I know I havn't been here forever and then I come back and want stuff but ohwell

Noritake supposedly shipping tomorrow - 09/04/2006 14:58

Greetings!

Supposedly, Noritake will be shipping the displays to me tomorrow. Naturally, it will take me a little time to examine them, repack them and ship them back out. I will update this thread again as soon as they arrive. I will also send out PMs to those who ordered with final pricing and details at that point.

Please note that I have no way of electrically testing them. I will look them over and all, but I have no real way of testing them fully in advance. Fair warning...

I have enough on order to cover all of the requests in this thread (to this point), and the one request I received over PM. That is it for this batch, though. Thanks!
Posted by: DVDelivery

Re: Noritake supposedly shipping tomorrow - 10/04/2006 15:42

Empeg noob here. Whats a VFD?

Just learned about these fantasic units and want to learn all I can about them.

Re: Noritake supposedly shipping tomorrow - 10/04/2006 15:51

A VFD is a vacuum fluorescent display - the display tube within the empeg. It is made of glass and can break if the player is dropped or suffers from other trauma. If the vacuum goes, so does its ability to display. It can also suffer from a number of possible electrical faults inside the module, but that is more rare.

People like to have spares in case it breaks, because it is a relatively easy repair...

Edit: By the way, an excellent starting point for you might be the Empeg FAQ. There is a ton of great information compiled to help get you started with the player, and to answer a number of questions you may have.
Posted by: DVDelivery

Re: Noritake supposedly shipping tomorrow - 10/04/2006 16:04

Cool, thanks!

Noritake VFDs arrived - 13/04/2006 08:06

Greetings!

The VFDs arrived safely yesterday evening. I will be checking them today and sending PMs to all requesters this morning. After shipping from Japan, the VFDs cost about $83.25 each. With repackaging, reshipping (averaging based on US Priority Mail) and PayPal fees, I will be reselling them for a flat $90 each. I am not trying to make any money on this, but I do want to cover my costs. Sorry for the price increase, but Noritake raised their price this time around. Watch your PM!