Posted by: pca

Final tuner kits - 21/09/2006 12:49

Hi.

I have gone through the remaining tuner stock, and I have:

30 complete kits
another 15 missing the antenna lead
a further 75 tuner modules
miscellaneous bits and pieces

So, to get rid of them, and because I haven't had any orders for many months, I am reducing the price to £85 including postage to anywhere in the world. This is more or less cost.

I will knock off £3 for the ones with no aerial lead, which should be easy enough to find pretty much anywhere. I don't really want to order another batch, since I have to get about 30 at a go.

If anyone wants one, PM me and I'll sort it out.

Also, can anybody think of a use for 75 semi-custom tuner modules bought at great expense and effort?

Pca
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Final tuner kits - 21/09/2006 13:02

Quote:
Also, can anybody think of a use for 75 semi-custom tuner modules bought at great expense and effort?

Ebay? You'd be surprised what people will buy.
Posted by: gorman

Re: Final tuner kits - 21/09/2006 17:58

Are these the kits you then have to build yourself? Or are they pre-built and ready to attach to the main unit?
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Final tuner kits - 21/09/2006 18:34

Sounds like they are full kits awaiting assembly.
Posted by: ManFriday

Re: Final tuner kits - 22/09/2006 09:08

Are these kits the FM radio receivers modules for the Empeg car players?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Final tuner kits - 22/09/2006 09:33

Quote:
Are these kits the FM radio receivers modules for the Empeg car players?

Yes. Be careful, they require a good bit of soldering to put together.
Posted by: sein

Re: Final tuner kits - 22/09/2006 10:22

Quote:
Yes. Be careful, they require a good bit of soldering to put together.

They do require some work to put together, but there are some BBS members that can help you with that (AndyM did mine), and maybe a local mobile phone/tv repair shop could also do it for you. If you fancy a tuner for your Empeg, please pick up a kit from Patrick! He has too many kits to just shrug off.
Posted by: KiwiBloke

Re: Final tuner kits - 25/09/2006 13:18

Quote:
Hi.

I have gone through the remaining tuner stock, and I have:

30 complete kits
another 15 missing the antenna lead
a further 75 tuner modules
miscellaneous bits and pieces

Hi, are these the PCATs tuners, or original Empeg tuners, or something else?

What's the difference between the "complete kits" and the "tuner modules"?

Are any of them assembled and ready to use, or will they all require soldering/assembling?

Cheers,
Jeremy
Posted by: robricc

Re: Final tuner kits - 25/09/2006 13:32

Quote:
Hi, are these the PCATs tuners, or original Empeg tuners, or something else?

PCATS unassembled tuner kits

Quote:
What's the difference between the "complete kits" and the "tuner modules"?

"Tuner modules" refers to the actual electronic component that receives radio transmissions inside the tuner kit. It's reasonably useless without the rest of the kit.

Quote:
Are any of them assembled and ready to use, or will they all require soldering/assembling?

Assembly would be required.
Posted by: andym

Re: Final tuner kits - 26/09/2006 16:52

I might be able to offer my services for assembly if anyone in the UK needs a complete kit putting together.
Posted by: toolman

Re: Final tuner kits - 29/09/2006 02:50

Would love a kit but the New Zealand dollar translates very poorly... 80 quid =
NZ$240 which is:
* 252 hamburgers from McDonalds
* about 1/2 a weeks wages for the average NZer after tax ($586 before tax)
* 160 litres of petrol
* a bucketload of 5 cent lollies!
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Final tuner kits - 29/09/2006 19:04

You'll end up better off with the tuner kit, than if you ate 252 burgers from McD's or a bucket full of 5cent lollies, and the earth will thank you for not burning that 160 litres of petrol. It's only half a week's wages, after all!

Re: Final tuner kits - 01/10/2006 18:16

yeah its true! I have 2 units, one car and one original tuner. I have no *need* for the other tuner, but part of me wants one for completeness... urrg! A lot of money for something that I don't need ...

Re: Final tuner kits - 01/10/2006 18:32

Hey Kiwi Bloke;

How come you are listed as living in Germany? Calling yourself Kiwi Bloke and having a kiwi as your avatar makes me think you are a NZer

Wellington represent!

Re: Final tuner kits - 01/10/2006 19:45

Quote:
Hey Kiwi Bloke;

How come you are listed as living in Germany? Calling yourself Kiwi Bloke and having a kiwi as your avatar makes me think you are a NZer

Wellington represent!

I am indeed a Kiwi, born and bred, from Lower Hutt City. But I'm currently living as an expat in Germany.

Re: Final tuner kits - 02/10/2006 02:09

Er if you're greg lowe then the world is too small!

I am ex hutt too! Tim Toolman!

edit: your profile lists as Jeremy so guess you aren't Greg! Hehe well I am ex HVHS (form 3 = '93) so where and when were you there?

Re: Final tuner kits - 02/10/2006 03:12

Quote:
Er if you're greg lowe then the world is too small!

I am ex hutt too! Tim Toolman!

edit: your profile lists as Jeremy so guess you aren't Greg! Hehe well I am ex HVHS (form 3 = '93) so where and when were you there?

Yup, name's Jeremy, no idea who Greg is! I actually lived in Wainui, went to Parkway College, Form 7 = '93.

Re: Final tuner kits - 02/10/2006 18:10

You have mail. Is there any online docs on how they are assembled? I need to psyche myself ...

According to Google cache, it looks like it was here http://www.pcats.co.uk/tuner.html but isn't anymore. Patrick, fancy emailing it to me, or posting it somewhere ?

<edit> found the link in google cache: http://www.reality.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/manual.pdf
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Final tuner kits - 06/10/2006 22:36

Thought I'd join in as I'm a kiwi too living in Auckland...
Sorry Patrick us NZ'ers have put this thread offtopic..

Hmm I think I purchased a Tuner Kit it's sitting somewhere still waiting to get assembled.. I'll do it one day!

Re: Final tuner kits - 18/10/2006 17:43

Got my kit in the post today; now comes the fun part - assembly!

All the parts were well packaged and labeled so it should be a breeze to put together.. thanks PCA.
Posted by: pca

Re: Final tuner kits - 20/10/2006 12:42

Well, so far I have sold a grand total of 3 tuners Surely someone else wants one?

pca
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Final tuner kits - 20/10/2006 14:24

I got mine. Looks awesome! Well done, pca. Thanks

Now to get to putting it together. Maybe I'll get a chance this weekend.

Re: Final tuner kits - 24/10/2006 00:59

Assembly was straight forward, and mine worked first time! I think this is one of the first times I ahve ever assembled something electronic that worked first pop!

The manual is nice and verbose/explicit about what to do, made assembly a breeze. Thanks PCA.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Final tuner kits - 25/10/2006 13:31

Ditto. I was ecstatic to see it working as intended once I got it hooked up. Good thing, too. I wouldn't have known where to start at figuring out why it didn't work.