10gig players availiable International + in USA.

Posted by: JBCP

10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/01/2002 18:07

For a very limited time (until the units are added to our site) we are selling the EMPEG MK2 10gig units at $299 for message board users. We ship world wide.

The temporary order page is:

http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/r1.cgi?1HV2

The German (Deutsch) page is:

http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/r1.cgi?1HV2&&lang=de

Other languages soon. All players ship from New Jersey, USA with full one year warranty. Our main web site is www.carplayer.com and we have been selling car mp3 related devices since 1999. Empeg info is not currently on the main site.

Thanks to all,

Jeremy Briggs
www.carplayer.com
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/01/2002 18:14

I remember you as a Neo seller ....

Dont you make money on Empeg EOL ?
Posted by: rtundo

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/01/2002 18:15

You might be smart to talk to Rob about investing in tuner production for the riocar. Many people here would like to have tuners for their riocars. If you invested in their production (with the empeg guys blessing) and sold them at a reasonable cost you might make many people here happy as well as a few bucks. Just a thought.....
Posted by: tonyc

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/01/2002 21:25

Just one more reason to hate New Jersey.
Posted by: Chao

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/01/2002 22:16

Considering that he purchased several for resale after the recent markdown, he's making money either way.
Posted by: xxxpcpxxx

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/01/2002 22:57

why would people pay 299 for a 10 gb player when they can still get a 20 gb player for the same price on rio's website? maybe when they run out of all the players, people would be more interested in this deal. hey just a thought.
Posted by: drakino

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 01:27

Ahh, so thats where all those car docks went...

I'd still like one for a home dock, but was hoping for a liquidation price on them as well... Hmm, decisions...
Posted by: drakino

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 01:28

Beter them grab them then letting them trickle through eBay at $500. I find it pretty cool that they put the links here for BBS users.
Posted by: ninti

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 01:34

Well, I tried to order a player from RIO two weeks ago when they were still listed in stock, they never shipped it and eventually canceled the order. They are so screwed up over there you will almost certainly have better luck with anybody else. For instance, they say they have 100 in stock, but it is still listed as out of stock. What the hell are they doing? Who knows.

I think I am going to go for this offer, and be grateful for it.
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 05:16

Because they ship worldwide!!, the Estore doesn't!.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 05:39

As they sai on their site, Neo waas the better Mp3 car solution but as an ancient Neo user , it is not the Best.

Empeg is the best.

Yes they ship internationally but 100$ to pay a trip in airplane for your player no !!!

Players have been bought by people that are only interested in Rio, by the Money they can do on back of real Empeg fans.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 08:40

Actually, my units are not the MK2a as they sell in the US store, what I am doing has nothing to do with the fact that the eStore is out of stock of everything (they have ZERO), and also has no part in what is going on with e-bay. International shipping is a flat rate of $48 for UPS World Wide Express, I would encourage you to visit www.ups.com and get the ship quote for that from us to you, you will find it is more than $48.

Jeremy Briggs
www.carplayer.com
Posted by: Yang

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 09:00

Ahh.. so they have Zero now.. I wonder they announced they have 100 20GB models left..

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 09:54

Ah yes but why are you seeling Riocar player only from now and not before cos you says you sold Mp3 devices for many years but it was only Neo stuff you sold ?

i you are the Mp3 devices lover you pretend, you should have been selling Empeg from the beginning or from longtime ago.

On your site I can only see Neo devices sold , but no RioReceiver, or HSX.

Price driop is opportunity for you to make money or you'll have sold rio products before even if international shiipping is 'only' 48$.
Posted by: xxxpcpxxx

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 11:06

actually ninti, i ordered mine when they said on the website they it was out of stock and i got mine five days after i ordered it. i don't know what the hell happened with the first one you ordered but i am sure it was some kinda mix up. i would try again, call them, email or something. if you really want one, keep trying while they still have any.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 11:26

Yeah, I know, some are getting them when they say they are out of stock, some are not getting them when they say in they are in stock. Sonic Blue has their head so far up their a** they don't know what the hell they are doing. My point is that you are taking your chances if you count on them, that is all. And calling them or e-mailing them is a lost cause, they never answer either. And when I was finally able to get a hold of them they bascially told me I was SOL. Hey, maybe you will get lucky, maybe you won't. As for me, I will never ever order from them again, and welcome the opportunity to buy from someone else at a tiny bit high but still reasonable price.

Sorry, I don't mean to beat a dead horse. They made me quite angry.
Posted by: time

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 12:56

If your units are not the Mark 2a's then where did you get them and what are they?!? As I recall, ALL Rio branded players are Mark 2a's. Some may be coming in Empeg boxes, but they should still be Mark 2a's.

So what are you selling?

Just Curious,
Tim

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 13:08

These players are Mark 2's and have nothing to do with the price drop from SonicBlue etc..etc..

As for why we did not sell them previously, EMPEG was not looking for resellers at the time we contacted them years ago. As for the RioHome, we only focus on car MP3 items, not home.

We do have limited quantities which is why I offered them here on this message board before the main site. You will notice 10gig players on ebay tend to go for more, and if you call sonic blue, you will find there are NO players left, any size.

Jeremy Briggs
www.carplayer.com

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 14:37

Thanks for the clarification. My mistake. I was reading others posts that referred to your units as RioCar players. You were correct in you language all along. Sorry if I came off a bit accusatory...

Hope you move them quickly.

Best regards,
Tim
Posted by: Terminator

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 18:28

If you call sonic blue, your likely to get any number of answers. As far as I know, they are still shipping units despite what the web site (or customer service people) may say.

Best of luck with your sales!

Sean
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 19/01/2002 21:32

hmm, I dont know what the hell your reading dude, you have confused yourself. If you read the post form the VERY begining again, you will notice that my REPLY was to "xxxpcpxxx's" post above.

I was implying that International people would pay $299 to get a player from his website, since the (RIO) ESTORE, DOES not ship internationaly.
Also he has a reasonable shipping price.

Posted by: altman

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 14:16

Are you *sure* they aren't mk2a's? I believe they are. I can say this with a fair degree of authority as we hand-shipped all the empeg mk2s out of the UK office, basically.

In which case, they're rio players, rio branding, etc. Not a bad thing, the mk2a obviously had small improvements over the mk2.

Hugo
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 16:32

Jeremy, you have done a bit of a disservice to the Neo community in the past and now you're coming to do the same for the empeg? Is that what we should be reading between the lines?

Before posting a forsale, perhaps you should actually get your units IN HAND and take a look at what they are.

Hugo (altman) has already stated that all MK2 units were hand-shipped from his site in the UK.

If your deal has nothing to do with the recent dump by SONICblue, then how could you have ever sourced them at a price below $299? And how were you able to get an OLDER revision of the product? Old Cartoys stock? (Did CT ever have MK2?)

Just be clear and honest. At least on this board it's the only way you're going to gain any acceptance. So when the units finally do make it up onto your own page, you'll be asking for MORE than $299 for the 10GB MK2 unit? And everyone else should know the differences between the MK2 and MK2a (check the FAQ), including an additional 4MB of memory in the newer units.

Bruno

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 18:41

We are selling EMPEG Mark 2's, Hugo is mistaken, and it is also stated on the order page that we will be shipping on Jan. 28th. It is not so uncommon to start taking pre-orders one week before delivery, much longer than that with some companies. I met Hugo and his partner out at CES, he simply does not remember, as for the units, they come directly from S3 and carry a one year warranty from the date we ship your unit to you.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 19:35

So, what you are saying is that you are selling old units, with 4 MB less RAM, an old kenwood remote which has less functionality than the new one, and minus all the tweaks that went into the mk2a - for $100 more a pop?

Looks like the remote you posted on your site is wrong then. That remote did NOT ship with the mk2.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 20:19

Thanks for pointing out the picture, it has been removed until I have the correct picture for the MK2, and yes, as I've said many times, these are MK2's, not MK2a's, sorry if I was not clear enough about that. Would you happen to have a picture of the correct remote I can post for the time being? If possible, e-mail it to me.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 20:56

here ya go

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 23:12

Hmm, direct from SB... Then it's more than likely these units were purchased for less than $199.

Just make sure that on your order page it's clear what is being sold MK2 with 12MB of RAM, etc etc... Looks like you're headed in the right direction by fixing the various graphics.

Bruno

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 20/01/2002 23:38

Jeremy,
Please understand that parts of your story just seems so implausible--I think more than one of us is having trouble comprehending where you're coming from. While I don't understand why your posts have evoked such hostility from some people, I must say this offer does come at a very odd time. The stock your offering is well over a year old.

Could you let us know the number of units you'll be receiving? There can't be that many old unsold empeg Mark 2's floating around. I would guess well less than a hundred.

Do you know which Sonicblue office they are coming from? US or UK?

Are these Refurb units?

Perhaps your responses will shed more light....

As a side note, S3 is no longer the corporate name. The company is doing business as Sonicblue.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/01/2002 02:05

Yeah, I'm wondering why he's being cagey about the sourcing of the units. He's stated that they came from S3, but as far as I know, Empeg wasn't bought by SonicBlue until after they had already changed the name to SonicBlue. So why does he say they came from S3? And under what circumstances did they come from SonicBlue? And why are they Mk2s instead of Mk2a's?

I'd be really curious to know the circumstances under which these units were obtained. If it's all legit, then cool, just tell us and we'll be grateful that more units have suddenly become available.
Posted by: number6

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/01/2002 02:36

I don't want to leap to Jeremy's defence or anything, but here is something from the Empeg Ltd Press Release when it was aquired by SB in late 2000 and I quote:
In reply to:

How did empeg become involved with SONICblue?

In late 1999 empeg developed a home networked thin client for digital audio distribution over the emerging Home PNA standard. The concept platform was demonstrated to major OEM clients at Comdex and CES, and from there a relationship was formed with S3. Empeg went on to develop the Dell Audio Receiver and Rio Receiver products for S3.

So, yes Empeg Ltd did have a relationship with S3, its not improbable that S3 (or a related company) bought/swapped/whatever some Empegs for 'internal use' within S3 (maybe as gifts for important customers or employees etc) and this stock is what Jeremy is now selling.

I don't know but I think it would be wise for Jeremy to show from where and under what circumstances this stock was acquired.

If the units are refurbs, or lost stock or something, fine, but it should be stated that way.

It doesn't help the perception that something is not right about these goods when they are initally promoted as Mk2A's and then when questioned to finally admit they are Mk2s in fact.

I don't need to buy any more units but I'd be pissed off if I thought I was buying a brand *new* Mk2A and I got a refurb or a at least 15 month old Mk2.
Some folks will be just grateful to get one at all - I'd just make sure I knew what is was that I was buying.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/01/2002 08:08

As I have said many times, the units are brand new, and come directly from S3, I am not sure what more I can say.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/01/2002 08:29

Perhaps "S3" is now producing Mk2 units because SonicBlue EOLed the Mk2a units and they're hoping to make a quick buck? Even if I didn't already have a Mk2a (for #399 + S&H) on it's way, I think I would go for an Ebay before buying new (older) unit from mysterious stock that noone (but one) on here seems to know where they came from.

Even if I'm told 1 + 1 = 5, I'm not going to believe it unless it makes sense. A stock of old model units that were supposedly all sold individually now suddenly appearing after the current model is EOLed for about what you can get it for on Ebay... Consumer confidence is low..
Posted by: rob

Woah, calm down folks!! - 21/01/2002 08:38

Some clarification is needed here!

I set up this deal with Jeremy at CES, and then my colleagues in the UK SONICblue office arranged the details. Jeremy's stock has not come from one of our online points of sale, but it is brand new and identical to units sold by SONICblue.

The units are Mk.2A - Rio Car players. I don't know where the confusion crept in, but there are only a few unsold Mk.2 units which we are keeping at Cambridge for service. Jeremy has also ordered a quantity of accessories, which are also regular Rio Car products.

So in conclusion, these players are legitimate regular Rio Car units. I believe that this method of distribution is superior to others that were considered, and my opinion is that Jeremy's margin is quite reasonable (certainly preferable to eBay rates!).

Rob

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 21/01/2002 09:11

Thnx for the info Rob.. Makes sense now..

I think the confusion was that JBCP kept insisting that they are "EMPEG Mark 2's" and "not the MK2a as they sell in the US store"..

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 21/01/2002 10:47

Thanks very much for the clarifications, Rob. Sorry we were getting testy about it. Glad to see that there's more units available now.
Posted by: number6

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 21/01/2002 14:24

That all makes perfect sense now.

I guess the way that Jeremy keept referring to SB as 'S3' all the time put peoples backs up - if he had referred to them by their correct name of SonicBlue then this would not caused as much confusion.

Jeremy also could have said 'this deal was arranged recently with Rob at CES2002' not just 'deal occured at CES' as Hugo,Rob etc have been to at least 2, possibly 3 CES shows that I know of and therefore it was difficult to know if this was a recent arrangement or a very old one.

And of course, when Hugo denied all knowledge that made it look worse. But then Hugo probably was not aware or [more likely] had simply forgotten about it as Jeremy said.

I think Jeremy is being perfectly fair to offer these units here first - the mark up is reasonable, especially as he does ship internationally [and at a very attractive rate] - much better than Fleabay.

Yes we can see now why he has no stock right now, but will next week - its probably still in transit from the UK.
Its probably why he was a bit hazy about exactly what he was getting also.

Yes its all legitimate - Rob says so.

So Jeremy - thanks for the kind offer to readers of this BBS.

Its just a real pity that some of the details now becoming apparent were not stated up front by those who had betterl knowledge of this arrangement and this has lead to this state of confusion and distrust.

Anyway, hopefully you will find lots of willing buyers now amungst the readers who want a extra unit [or their first one].

I must say if I did need another RioCar, my order would be on its way to you right now [esp. now I know the full story].

As I don't need one, that leaves room for another who does want one, to get one at a reasonable price.

Let the buying begin...

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 21/01/2002 18:24

I think Jeremy was passed some inaccurate information about the models - not his fault. I didn't read into Hugo's post any suggestion that the deal was unknown to him - but rather that the model could not be Mk.2.

The international shipping rate is indeed pretty good - less than we charge from the UK to N.America.

Rob
Posted by: docrings

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/01/2002 19:08

Thanks, Jeremy... I ordered my 10GB unit from you taoday($299+ship) and cancelled my Sonic Blue 20GB order for $399+$23 Tax + shipping (they said they MAYBE had 125 units left as of Monday AM...) Anyway, I will take my $123 difference and put it toward a 30GB laptop drive online...
Thanks for posting on the BBS first Jeremy!
Dr. Rings
San Diego
Posted by: thenominous

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 22/01/2002 06:21

Are these the 10Gb units we were emailed about from the international store or are those still around?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/01/2002 08:45

Many have e-mailed asking about shipping charges when two units are ordered. Here is the deal, order one international shipping for the first unit, and a 2nd day shipping for each additional unit. This way on an order of two units, more than $20 is saved. This policy will be in effect for about two weeks, at that time we will probably have to not accept orders for multiple units to make sure everyone gets at least one.

If you previously ordered with only one shipping selected, do not worry about it, we will process your order without it, but for future orders, that is not the case.

http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/r1.cgi?1HV2

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/01/2002 18:03

Actually the 20GB from SB was also $299... hmmm, saving $24 in taxes and a sure deal is not great but "one in the hand is worth two in the bush...) The 20GB unit from SB was a gamble whether it would ship or not, so I guess I did the right thing? But for an extra $125 online I can add an additional 30GB IBM travelstar and take the 10GB from Jeremy and make it a 40GB all for the price of a 30GB from SB, make sense?
Doc

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/01/2002 22:14

That was my thinking. I have e-mailed Jeremy over there several times and he seems like a nice reliable guy. I have faith my order will come with him, unlike the alternative...

BTW, he did say that it is the RIO remotes he is getting in, not the Kenwoods. Yay, that means there is nothing I have to buy from SB ever again.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 11:27

We now have the 20gig and 30gig players on our main order page. Should you wish to switch your order to one of these units, please let us know.

Main Order Page: http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/r1.cgi?1HV1

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 12:13

Ah, if only you had tuners, too.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 12:22

We will probably start pre-orders for tuners in 1-2 weeks, delivery about 1-2 months afterwards.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 12:29

Ah, cool.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 13:37

Cool.. that will give me time to try to install my other head unit.. if I fail, I'll probably get the tuner..
Posted by: jules

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 15:38

Will the NEO docking station for the home, which you sell, accept a Rio Car? One of my Rio Cars is for home use and I'm looking for something like that without having to build it on my own. thanks.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 16:22

Dear Sir,

Sorry, not a chance in the world.
Posted by: rtundo

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 16:50

Any idea on tuner cost or is that premature?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 17:08

Remember that the Rio Car will plug in just fine at home without a docking station. Those who make home docking stations are only doing it to make it look snazzy and make it slightly easier to plug in.

To make a home docking station, you mount a car sled inside an attractive box. There's actually a lot more to it than that, but my point is that you have to use a Rio Car docking sled with a Rio Car, it's not a generic thing, it's very proprietary and specific.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 21:47

I've added your store link to my online matrix comparing the three main in-car jukebox products:

http://www.mypocket.com/mobilematrix/index.php

Feel free to link to it from your page if you want people to see why the Rio/empeg is so much better than anything else.

Because no one has asked... Where are these (1-2 month away) tuners coming from? Are you talking about the possibility of having another batch manufactured as mentioned previously by Rob and Hugo?

Bruno

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/01/2002 22:34

Are you talking about the possibility of having another batch manufactured as mentioned previously by Rob and Hugo?

Yes, I believe that is precisely what he's talking about. Hence the need for pre-orders followed by a waiting period of a couple months (while he gets them made).
Posted by: mardibloke

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 04:18

Jeremy, I notice the updated web page now shows international shipping as $38 rather than $48 when I ordered on Monday.

Why the change ?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 04:45

If that's what he's talking about then I'd like to point out that we haven't decided for sure that we are going to give a licence to make these, and if we do we haven't decided who is going to get that licence. Several people have expressed an interest.

We're still waiting for confirmation that the factory is available for making this product, what their minimum quantities are, and what the lead time is on components.

Rob
Posted by: andym

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 07:26

Just put an order for a 10gig in on the carplayer site. Does anyone know how likely it will be that these orders can be fulfilled?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 08:23

I was talking about tuners not players - I know for a fact that Jeremy has completed the purchase of a batch of players, so I don't think you need worry about that.

Rob

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 08:29

Suppose I should've put myself down for a 20 Gig version then!

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 08:42

We have two order pages, the one linked to the message board with 10gig for $299 has $48 shipping. The main order page with 10gig for $319 has $38 shipping, you cannot mix and match, sorry.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 09:09

I know how to count siince I am 6 :

299+48=347 and
319+38=357 .

So you save 10$ if BBS User.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 16:14

That's a bait and switch type of deal.

Hmmmmm... I'm having issues with having linked carplayer in my matrix now.

Bruno
Posted by: smu

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 17:09

Oh, by the way:

The automatic translation of some of your pages actually makes them a whole lot more difficult to understand than the original, english page. But the worst thing about those translations is that you can change the language you want to see using the menu on the left, but english is missing on that list. You should fix that.
Assuming you would pay a fair price for it, I could translate your pages to german, if you want a readable translation.

cu,
sven

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/01/2002 19:30

We're still waiting for confirmation that the factory is available for making this product, what their minimum quantities are, and what the lead time is on components.

I probably don't need to tell you this, Rob, but the faster this comes together, the more tuners that are going to get sold. Many new empeg owners are going the "2 head unit" route simply because there's no tuners available. And once you've got the second head unit installed, there's no incentive to buy a tuner.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 26/01/2002 14:47

I wanted to let everyone know we have the face plates on the order page now.
Posted by: danthep

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 27/01/2002 04:28

Hmm, how does this deal make more units available?

Did they do another production run for this deal?

Did RIO have a big batch of players locked away in a vault that they were determined to leave there to rot till jeremy put a dealmakers spell on them?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 27/01/2002 04:31

Tell me Jeremy, I have one question :

If I order From Europe, what about the AC adaptor that comes with the player ?

Is it European Plug or US Plug ?

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 27/01/2002 07:22

This is a batch of players that had been removed from retail a while ago for a specific promotion which did not take place. It was advantageous to dispose of them in one drop.

The benefit to Jeremy selling them is that they are available world wide. The empeg store has been wound down to supply just accessories now. The US eStore will continue to sell whatever stock they have until it has gone.

Rob

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 27/01/2002 14:32

At this point I am not 100% sure, but I believe all units have US plug. I had ask SB to please send 200US/200EU but they did not think they would be able to.
Posted by: thenominous

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 27/01/2002 16:55

So does that mean that they were the ones that people buying from the intl store were offered afterwards and that I should expect no further emails regarding that opportunity?

Re: Woah, calm down folks!! - 28/01/2002 04:18

Not the same players, but as far as I know all of those have been sold or reserved as essential service stock (which we will not sell - sorry). Check with David to be sure.

Rob
Posted by: damone

More questions... - 28/01/2002 18:56

Let me just get this straight. I'm looking to buy one soon so I need the right info and it's been kind of hard to get the facts straight.

First, the units you are selling are in fact the Rio Car, the same one available on the Rio website?

Is it the mk2a unit or are all Rio Car units that revision?

They come with all of the standard accessories that you would expect to get from the Rio store?

Are the 10gb units in stock for $299 through the link that was posted in the first post?

Thank You,
Jon

Re: More questions... - 28/01/2002 19:03

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Posted by: damone

Re: More questions... - 28/01/2002 19:25

easy enough!

Thanks!

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 28/01/2002 22:26

Have they started shipping now? (Posted LATE on the 28th Feb.)

Thanks!!!!!
Dr. Rings

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 29/01/2002 11:59

The plane lands tonight, and they are delivered to carplayer tomorrow afternoon.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 29/01/2002 15:34

May I suggest that you edit your web page so that it's made more clear which accessories are specifically for the Rio Car. For example, to someone who does not already know what the accessories look like, they might think the Rio remote is for a one of those portable CD players.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 31/01/2002 20:48

Has my order been mailed yet? This weekend would be a great time to install it!
Dr. Rings
San Diego, CA

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 01/02/2002 13:36

Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that e-mail receipts are sent when products are shipped, some online stores send them prior to shipment, but that simply means they charge your card prior to shipment (not a good thing). If you get a thank you page at checkout, then we have your order. All shipments will be made Monday as we are working hard with US customs to get the products cleared and delivered to us. Once they are in our door, they will be going out to our customers, thanks for the patience. Our customs broker assures us the products will be delivered today or Monday morning.
Posted by: plop211

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 01/02/2002 14:48

it's amusing that i presume these are from the uk so my order should just get sent straight back to the uk! shame that 2 lots of international postages have to be wasted.

Col H.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 03/02/2002 23:18

Got my receipt on Saturday, so hopefully will be getting it by mid-week...
Thanks!
Doc Rings

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 05/02/2002 02:49

Has anyone else got a receipt for their player? I ordered a 20Gig and have, so far, not received a receipt.

I noticed the carplayer site hasn't been updated yet, it still says stock is due in on 1st of Feb.

Andy M
Posted by: speedy67

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 05/02/2002 05:52

I ordered Friday, the mail from kagi arrived saturday.

I've been just called (15 minutes ago) by UPS, they want to declare it for customs and it will be delivered tomorrow (i live in germany)
Posted by: cushman

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 05/02/2002 05:59

I got my e-mail receipt on Saturday, and yesterday (Monday) I recieved a tracking number from UPS. Should be delivered tomorrow!

-Mark

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 02:23

anyone recieved theirs yet, i'm hoping i'll be getting mine today, customs permitting.

Col H.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 07:41

Mine arrived today, to the UK. Shipped via UPS, no import charges.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 08:17

Just out of interest, are these players that were shipped 10 Gig units?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 09:17

jammy bugger they tried to delivery my units today but no one was in, they want £44 for import duty as well so there will no doubt be a vat bill to follow as well there is cash down the drain

Still a small price to pay for such a great head unit

Col H.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 09:32

How can they charge you import charges when the units were made in the UK? Why do others not have any import charges?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 09:39

Did you put UK as the country of origin?

I'm not sure this exempts import duty, though. The overseas reseller could well have added value, and in any case you still have to pay 17.5% VAT.

Rob

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 09:49

i don't know, i think customs is pot luck sometimes. Can't be the way they have been labled since i presume they are all labled the same. I think i need to pay %10.5 import duty to be able to get them and then they'll bill me VAT later on.

Col H.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 10:08

The country of origin is specified in the shipping documentation and commercial invoice by the shipper.

Customs IS pot luck, though, unless you use a harmonised coding. We do so when shipping players to the US so duty should never be charged - but it doesn't help shipping into the UK because there isn't a duty free category for this product (that we've been able to find).

Rob

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 10:22

Label says :

Units eg 5
U/M EA
Desc Car Stereo No CD/Tape ( Made in UK )
c/o US
Unit Value the values specified "may" not be exactly what you paid
Total Value contact me direct if anyone really needs to know

IMHO I have never paid import duty of things delivered by UPS. But always make purchase decision based on that I will pay full duty. Then anything that slips through is a bonus.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 10:24

Ah, just noticed the UPS label says :

BILLING : P/P
DESC : computer parts
Posted by: papinist

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 14:51

This moring UPS said me that a custom check was requested on my shipment, as it is a car stereo and they would see if it has the CE logo on it - otherwise they can't import it in Europe and would send it back to US!!!

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 06/02/2002 16:07

It does have the CE logo, although I'm not sure it's on the outter packaging. It's in the user guide and on the metalwork for sure.

This is the sort of reason why we never use UPS - I've NEVER heard if that happening with TNT.

Rob
Posted by: papinist

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 07/02/2002 11:06

Yup, I found in manual the CE rules conformity

Now my empegs are stuck in italian customs, for another check (first in US customs, now in italian ones... what am I buying, an atomic bomb??) - I hope they speed up this procedure and give me my empegs before the weekend..

BTW - UPS is a Jeremy's choice...

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 08/02/2002 04:10

just thought i'd say i got my player and because of the way jeremy labled the package it's only cost me something like £21 including import duty and VAT.

Excellent service matey and i wouldn't begrudge you your $100 markup since it still works out at an excellent bargin and a lot less than ebay.

Cheers
Col H.
Posted by: juenk

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 08/02/2002 05:37

Same here: Just received the box. Shipped by UPS to the Netherlands, no additional costs (VAT / Duty) paid.

Jelle
Posted by: Cris

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 08/02/2002 10:56

UPS have just rung me for clearance ???

They wanted to know what it was and who it was for etc...

She said that goods value was $90 so import/tax etc was £27, don't you just love customs.

Bad news is even though box is in the UK I have to wait till monday to get it :-(

Cris.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 08/02/2002 16:05

I suspect that the import duty + VAT is £17 and UPS are charging a tenner admin fee. There's not much you can do about that, though, unless you have your own customs agents.

Rob

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 11/02/2002 16:12

I got a package on Friday, and said "oh good, my backup player from Jeremy" has come. Opened it up and blew past the paperwork so I could start immediately testing it. It worked fine, I put the the new Beta (and Hijack of course) on it and started uploading tunes. I looked down at the bottom of Emplode and saw that it said I have 56 gigs or so left on it. I found this very odd because I ordered a 10 gig from carplayers. After all, it is a backup, and hopefully by the time my main one died the warranty would be void anyway and I can dump a cheap large hard drive into it. I thought maybe it was a gift upgrade or something, but I went back and looked at all that paper work I skipped over before, and discovered that this came from Sonic Blue itself. I placed this order over the phone (because their website was (and is) not working right for me) like a month ago with a woman that had obviously never taken a phone order and on a day when their computers were down. I have never seen any evidence that the order took at all, and no e-mails or information on the website showed anything. Given my past history with SB, I gave this up for a lost cause a long time ago. Tip of the hat to SB, they did me right this time.

So anyway, I just got my player from Jeremy today. So suddenly, from having 1 player (which is too little), I now have 3 (which is too many).

It works out I guess, my 60 becomes my main one(I have already filled it within a couple of gigs of its life), and the 10 remains my backup. And somebody is going to get a very nice gift from me. Anybody want to be my friend.
Posted by: jasonc

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 11/02/2002 18:28

Well im good and Freaked. I ordered ( in advance like he says) an extra sled and 2 remotes and what do i find in the mail today, a Faceplate Kit. Funny it just doesnt seem worth 193.22. I guess SB arent the only ones lacking in the warehouse dept.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 11/02/2002 22:05

Hey, that's not fair, we have shipped more than 175 empeg related orders in two weeks time and there have been two mistakes total, I would hardly compare it to the fiasco going on at the E-store for the past two months. Just my two cents.....

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 11/02/2002 23:21

Good point.
Posted by: tms13

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in US - 12/02/2002 04:24

In reply to:

we have shipped more than 175 empeg related orders in two weeks time and there have been two mistakes total.

Not bad . And I'm not too bothered about getting a 10G instead of the 30G I wanted, as I'll buy a new 30G disk when I can actually afford it, and add the 10 into my existing 20G to make a hot backup.
Posted by: jasonc

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 12/02/2002 05:54

Great, with so few problem orders i can expect this to be resolved quickely then right?

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 13/02/2002 01:04

You have an e-mail from us already

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 15/02/2002 10:15

Does anyone else need a player? We are starting to run out....
Posted by: Ionic

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 16/02/2002 20:19

In reply to:

We will probably start pre-orders for tuners in 1-2 weeks, delivery about 1-2 months afterwards.

Any news on your tuners? Or did I miss any news? A friend of mine just updated his MKI->MKIIa and starts to miss his radio module...

Bye,
Frank
Posted by: Shonky

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 16/02/2002 20:43

In reply to:

We will probably start pre-orders for tuners in 1-2 weeks, delivery about 1-2 months afterwards

Any more on this? Has a deal been struck?

(edit) oops there's an echo in here. That's what you get when you walk away from your PC in the middle of a post...

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 17/02/2002 00:04

Well, I have heard zero from SonicBlue on this. They are either working with someone else, or the ball is moving VERY slow.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 17/02/2002 07:15

Progress is being made. Hugo had a meeting in Oregon with the Operations guys, and plans are afoot. The prices are higher than previously indicated but still workable. If anything will screw up the deal it's likely to be volume - I doubt the factory will set up a run of less than 1000 units. That could still be achievable, though.

Rob

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 17/02/2002 22:01

Got my Rio Car in wonderful condition and good working order. Got the whole thing up and running and USB connected. Already upgraded Emplode and RIO software...!
Thanks for a great price and a great product!!!
Installing in the 94 Accord EX tomorrow... plugged into AUX input on Pioneer front end. Pics to follow.

DocRings
RioCar Serial # 030102438
Posted by: speedy67

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 18/02/2002 07:25

Got mine some days ago but i was on a journey...
It seems OK, but i hat to pay 53 Euro for taxes to Germany. It's still a good deal, thanks to Jeremy.
All i need now is a tuner !!!

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 14:59

We are starting to run out of players and will raise the price soon. I wanted to let everyone here know first, that way there is not a ton of flames later when the price goes up.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 16:59

We are starting to run out of players and will raise the price soon

Sorry to hear that.

Rob
Posted by: svferris

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 17:13

Gotta love "Supply and Demand".

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 17:20

That's obviously where I've been going wrong.

Rob
Posted by: rockstar

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 21:59

so is SB completely sold out now?
Posted by: svferris

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 22:29

See Rob, maybe that's what you guys should have done. Start out by selling the MK1 at like $300 or so. Then, when there was a huge demand for them, jack the price up really high and roll in the dough.

What's interesting is that many businesses follow this practice...
Posted by: mandiola

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 21/02/2002 22:33

Hmm.. not necessarily. If I recall correctly there was a huge waiting list for the mkI. That may have worked with the mkII, however selling it at that low of a price would be very tough to make ends meet. The price would have to be drastically higher to make up for the tons of money lost for selling it for $300.

-Greg

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/02/2002 02:42

The international store has been sold out for some time. The US store now seems to have entirely removed the category, so I guess they are sold out as well.

Rob
Posted by: rockstar

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/02/2002 12:50

no it is there, under windter specials.. 30 gigs and 60 gigs left, at least according to the web. , oh wait, it looks liek they have taken it down from yesterday.. wow.. no more empegs :sniff:
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/02/2002 13:02

30s and 60s still (appropriately IMO) listed under Steals and Deals

/Michael

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 22/02/2002 19:10

They must be done to a meager handful. Wow. Maybe I'll have to eBay my extra player someday.

Bruno
Posted by: dionysus

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/02/2002 13:25

I think I liked the handle better on the mk2:) I'm having to use a stupid pin to pull out the mk2a..
-mark
Posted by: dionysus

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/02/2002 13:31

In reply to:

Sorry, not a chance in the world.

Good answer:)
-mark

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 24/02/2002 16:54

Just to clarify, nothing changed in the metalwork design between the Mk.2 and the Mk.2A, so any difference is a manufacturing variance.

Rob
Posted by: Alabama

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/02/2002 11:13

Ordered 10Gb from Carplayer.com Shipped om Friday UPS Express to UK. Meant to arrive today. Guess what? Sent to the wrong airport!

Anyone tell me how to get compensation from the UPS incompetents.

I am mad as I planned to be looking at my nice new player tonight

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/02/2002 12:07

Actually, they almost always deliver to the same airport in the UK, so I doubt it was sent wrong, did UPS tell you that? UPS Express takes 2-3 days world wide. Your package was shipped Friday, but Saturday and Sunday are not counted as days by UPS, so Monday delivery is not likely. I would expect it to be delivered to you on Tuesday or Wednesday assuming it is the advertised 2-3 day service.

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 25/02/2002 13:01

Thanks for the reply Jeremy. Well I accept I am maybe wrong not having used them before, however when I check their transit time on my package the site gives me End of day Mon 25th for delivery.
No reflection on your service m8, it is excellent, as you processed the order quickly and got it out noon on Friday.

Just getting impatient

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 26/02/2002 14:23

I am sitting at my PC writing this while my new Rio eats a few mp3's

Thanks for the excellent service Jeremy, All labeled up perfectly, and no hold up in customs. I made sure I collected it today as I could not wait another day for delivery !

I assume next job is upgrade from 1.02 software, and upgrade Emplode ?

No Flamethrowers please, I will read the FAQ soon I promise !

Will hook it up to the HI FI in a few mins, then it's into the VW Golf at the weekend

Mk2a S.No 010101943

"Mmmmmmmm...Wonder it it has the Dimmer mod done"
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 26/02/2002 23:30

I assume next job is upgrade from 1.02 software, and upgrade Emplode ?

Upgrade emplode before the player

Standard recommendation is to go to 1.03, do your bulk uploads there, and then if you feel adventurous upgrade to (currently) 2.0b11

"Mmmmmmmm...Wonder it it has the Dimmer mod done"

Not very likely, as the fix was just found out... Not that every player needs it, I have two MkIIa, none of which needs the dimmer fix.

/Michael

Re: 10gig players availiable International + in USA. - 01/03/2002 15:06

I have upgraded to1.03 and this afternoon introduced my Empeg to it's new home, my VW Golf. Sitting in the top DIN slot above the Gamma radio and sounding great.

I am a happy camper - good sounds in the car at last.

Now to find out what it can do ( goes off to read manual etc... )