Seat Conversion

Posted by: revlmwest

Seat Conversion - 04/08/2002 06:53

In the Fast and the Furious, Diesel's car has the nitrous oxide components under the passenger seat. Is there a name for that conversion? Do you buy a whole new seat or is it a hack?

I'm interested in mounting a locking hard case in the seat, so I can lock my empeg up without raising the covertible top.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Seat Conversion - 04/08/2002 15:58

I've been thinking about that as well, even though I don't have a convertible. When I go surfing or mountain biking, I have to leave the truck unattended for long periods of time, and I don't want to leave my empeg in view in the dash. In my case, I don't need a locking box, but I do want something I can slide the empeg into that will protect it from all the springs and pokey bits under the seat. With my seat, I can actually slide the empeg under the seat from the side. With a box that keeps it from being pulled out the front, closing and locking the door becomes the lock for the box. I have my doubts you could do that in a convertible, though. The price you pay, eh?
Posted by: genixia

Re: Seat Conversion - 04/08/2002 20:07

I'd still get a locking box though. Under the seat is the first place any self-respecting car thief looks when he encounters an empty pull-out harness. If your truck is unattended long enough for them to smash a window and open the door from the inside then you're at risk. Make it so they have to spend 5 minutes+ with tools.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Seat Conversion - 04/08/2002 21:16

Hmmm... good point. I'm thinking "out of site, out of mind". I don't keep anything in view in the truck aside from a cable lock for my bikes, and a few stuffed animals that the dealer gave me when I bought the truck (and of course, a big pile of PowerBar wrappers) -- no pile of CDs on the seat for me.

When surfing, I park in a parking lot, sometimes with attendants, but more importantly, people who have lots of other stuff in their cars. Heck, I've parked next to top-down covertibles with stuff sitting on the seat. Out biking, my truck is usually parked 40 minutes into the middle of nowhere, so the chances of any but the opportunistic pilferer happening along are unlikely. All the rest of the time my empeg comes with me.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Seat Conversion - 10/08/2002 12:36

Diesel's car has the nitrous oxide components under the passenger seat. Is there a name for that conversion?

How about "rocket powered ejection seat"?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Seat Conversion - 12/08/2002 11:15

ROFL....
Posted by: tracerbullet

Re: Seat Conversion - 12/08/2002 16:47

I would try to find a local upholstery shop that specializes in automotive restoration. I'd think those guys would have a good idea on it, partly because of the custom work they've done or seen brought in, and because they could answer the "how do I put the seat back together and make it look good" question.

I think in the yellow pages it's called "Auto - restoration".