Way off topic (Pepsi Blue)

Posted by: robricc

Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 14:11

I just tried Pepsi Blue. It is bad. REALLY bad.

Posted by: andym

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 14:17

Looks like anti-freeze...
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 15:01

Never heard of it. What is it supposed to taste like? Kinda reminds me of that clear cola fad a few years back.

The new Vanilla Coke is pretty tasty, though.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 15:23

I guess it's supposed to taste like Pepsi with berries mixed in. It totally misses the mark. I'm not a fan of sweet drinks (don't like cola in general), but adding more sugar would be a good start toward making this junk more drinkable.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 18:43

Yeah I like the vanilla coke also. Tastes even better with some rum (not that I drink much).

I've seen the blue Pepsi but have not bothered to try it yet.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 19:15

IMO, Pepsi has always missed the mark. Did you ever try Cherry Pepsi? It tasted exactly like Cherry Coke. Why have they always been a ste behind Coke? Because their stuff just doesn't taste as good. Although I am a Dr Pepper fan.

Vanilla Coke is pretty good, but I'm not the biggest fan. My favorite soda? Coke and grenadine. It's my main drink at restaraunts, although I never, ever ask for a "Roy Rogers"
Posted by: muzza

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 21:24

real life (12/8/2002)

We got lemon diet coke here recently. I tried one in a radio station promotional thing, hey, it was free.

The strangest taste I've had for a while. glad I didn't buy it.
I think they put out these alternative flavours so that after a while they can say how good the original is like it's a new thing.
Posted by: Tim

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 21:30

At Sonic Drive-Ins, Dr. Pepper with vanilla is amazing. I thought Vanilla Coke was miserable (the only thing Vanilla Coke was good with was Vanilla Stoli), but Sonic knows how to do it right with Dr. Pepper.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 22:37

Coke with actual lemon juice is good I think the reason the stuff they are selling tastes bad is because they probably just use citric acid. (Plus diet coke tastes bad anyway give me sugar !)
Posted by: drakino

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 22:40

Looks like Pepsi is skipping the small taste test days and goinf all out on the market. Colorado Springs was a popular test bed for Pepsi, since they have a local bottling plant somewhere around here. One thing I remember was the fruity Pepsi. They had 4 or 5 different types, like strawberry and such. We also saw no less then 3 versions of the "Crystal" Pepsi stuff.

Frito Lay used to test tons of stuff here as well, like hot versions of about all their chips. The hot Cheetos arethe only things I still see now.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 23:19

Dr. Pepper w/ Vanilla (using a mix in ala Sonic) is the divine Ambrosia... truely the drink of the gods!!!!!

edit: oh yeah, and the new Dr. Pepper Red Fusion sucks!!! It tastes just like cherry 7up with a tiny hint of Dr. Pepper

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 23:26

No Sonic in the area, so I have never had Dr. Pepper with vanilla. I do, however, like Dr. Pepper as my favorite soft drink.... well, Dr. Pepper flavored drinks that is. Dr. Thunder anyone?

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 11/08/2002 23:38

like the new jingle with the black eyed peas says... "Dr. Pepper the original".... stick with the one and only!! And add vanilla.... lots of other resturants do mix-ins... just ask

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 07:24

Because their stuff [Pepsi's] just doesn't taste as good. Although I am a Dr Pepper fan.
You seem to be implying that Dr. Pepper is a Pepsi product. It is not. Although Dr. Pepper is distributed by Pepsi distributors in some areas of the country, it is owned by Seagrams, which purchased the Dr. Pepper/Seven-Up company a few years back, which had previously been a totally separate company, and had been two separate companies before that.

In other areas of the country, Dr. Pepper is distributed by Coca-Cola distributors, and in those areas, it's often hard to come by its competitor, Mr. Pibb, which is a Coca-Cola product, as the Coca-Cola corporation often doesn't distribute its own product there, especially at soda fountains.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 09:19

Coke with actual lemon juice is good

Yeah, I agree.

I find it perverse that you can buy Coke with fake lemon flavor, and Dawn (British Translation: washing-up liquid) with *real* lemon.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 09:41

7-Up has to have the best slogan out there (except for maybe Sheik condoms, 'Get some or get none') - 'Make 7-Up yours!'

Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 09:57

I had the Pepsi Blue over the weekend too...I have to agree that it's pretty bad. I reminded me just slightly of guarana - a popular carbonated beverage in Brazil. Except it wasn't near as good. It pretty much sucks.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 11:17

Pepsi Blue tastes like chloryseptic throat spray.... If it made your throat numb it might actually have a purpose.

The different distribution methods of Dr. Pepper (read as liquid manna) is interesting. It leads to different bottling procedures, styles, and even tastes.... My family still brings me Dr. Pepper from OK when they come to see me in SC. No one here believed me (that there was a taste difference) until I let them compare the two.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 11:20

You find that in all soft drinks. It has to do with the water that the bottler used, which is usually just local tap water. In fact, there are certain areas where I can't drink the sodas because the water has so much sulfur in it. I can't remember where. Possibly down in your neck of the woods in SC. I know it was somewhere around here (I'm in NC), and I'm pretty sure it was to the south, and I was thinking GA, but it could easily be SC. Are you near the coast?

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 11:22

I drank a lot of Mr. Pibb in Georgia recently and it tasted fine to me.

EDIT: I'm from New York by the way.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 11:24

Yes, I'm about an hour from the coast, about 20 minutes from Florence. When I came here to check out the church I now serve at I couldn't figure out why no one had Dr. Pepper. Then I tasted it...blah. My coffee intake greatly increased...which was difficult to do.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 11:33

Well, I'm pretty sure that they're going to do a good job bottling Coca-Cola products in Georgia, since it's an Atlanta-based company, but whatever I was drinking might have had a regional bottler down in northern Florida or something. Of course, this was years ago and has probably changed by now.
Posted by: davec

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 12/08/2002 13:26

This place knows Dr Pepper. One of my favorite places on Earth!!! And it's in Texas, of course!
Posted by: jwickis

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 17:54

It reminded me just slightly of guarana - a popular carbonated beverage in Brazil.
Speaking of guarana whatever happened to Josta is it still around but only in certain areas? I liked it and it was a 'real' energy boost.
Posted by: tman

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 19:20

What? Like Slurm classic? (S02E04)

- Trevor

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 19:43

Speaking of really bad soft drinks, does anyone else remember the bizarre buoyant experience that was the floating balls of Orbitz?

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 19:46

One of my friends who lives in Kansas is a total Dr. Pepper freak. He orders it from the Dublin site you linked too. I think he said something about it being the only bottler (almost said brewery - must be time to go home) that still uses sugar cane in it.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 19:46

Hells yes. That stuff was horrid, but people bought them just because it was cool. Gotta admit, it was the coolest drink I've ever seen

Oh, and Futurama kicks serious ass. Not as good as Simpsons, but still really funny.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 19:50

Reading that extinct Orbitz write-up brought tears to my eyes I was laughing so hard. The other guy here working late with me thinks that I'm crazy now, thanks...

On the whole, I agree that the write-up was 100% accurate though. I tried Orbitz once, just because. Once is all it took.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 13/08/2002 19:52

All it took for me was watching a friend of mine drink(?) it.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 08:20

That's what someone told me made the stuff here in SC taste worse. I'll have to try the Dublin site.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 08:53

No one uses real sugar for any soft drink anymore. It's too expensive. (Exceptions; rule )

It's always been my pet conspiracy theory that that whole ``New Coke'' fiasco years ago was so that the Coca-Cola corporation could change their formula to something cheaper that tasted almost the same without anyone noticing. Then someone pointed out that they went from using real sugar to using high fructose corn syrup at that time.

I've heard that you can still get sugar-sweetened Coke in certain areas of Europe, though. I want it to be the Netherlands. One of these days, I'll have to figure out how to get some.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 09:08

Coca-Cola used corn syrup before New Coke was introduced. People just didn't take note of the change. New Coke was formulated to taste more like Pepsi after Pepsi gained a lot of market-share with Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and other properties.

Lots of people like Pepsi because it is sweeter. When testing New Coke, the product was a hit but Coca-Cola failed to inform taste testers that it would be replacing the original formula. But, Coca-Cola didn't realize that their product had such emotional and patriotic value. When the original formula was replaced by New Coke, americans felt they had lost a part of their history and identity. When Coke Classic was re-introduced, the first cans sold were made before the product was pulled off the shelves. It only took 3 months (I think) for Coca-Cola to re-introduce Coke Classic. In cans, the product can last quite long. These cans had Corn Syrup as the sweetener and were made well before the initial pull.

New Coke is now sold as Coke II in select markets (we have it). Interestingly, Diet Coke is formulated to taste like Pepsi, and not a sugar-free version of Coke Classic.

I did a report on New Coke in high school business class.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 09:12

Well, maybe the corn syrup thing isn't the reason, then. And while I'm sure that their reduction in the marketplace was part of the reason, I still stand behind my insane conspiracy theory, even if I don't have all the particulars in place.
Posted by: djc

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 10:45

we have many, many bottles of this bizarre stuff sitting around our offices at orbitz.

--dan.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 14:29

Don't know if you can get Irn-Bru over there but it's well worth a sip if you can find some. In Scotland (it's "home") they sell more than Coca-Cola! You can usually find a bottle in our house. (Along with Dr.Pepper)

Gareth

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 14/08/2002 14:40

There was a link that I followed about a week and a half ago (its already gone from the history file on this machine) that went into detail about that conspiracy theory and throughly debunked it.

Woohoo! Found it: http://198.64.129.160/cokelore/ - I don't know if I got that url off this BBS or my company's internal news server. Anyway, it has more information than you ever wanted to know about Coke.
Posted by: music

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 22/08/2002 21:35

Hells yes. That stuff was horrid, but people bought them just because it was cool. Gotta admit, it was the coolest drink I've ever seen

Agreed. Looked kind of cool. Tasted really nasty.

But if you kind of liked the idea of floating globules...
Are you familiar with "pearl tea" ? Also known as Boba.
It's apparently been a fad in parts of Asia for 20 years, but has taken off
on the east and west coasts of the US in the past few years.
There is even a new chain which specializes in it, named "Tapioca Express."

I just discovered it recently, and the truth is, I kind of like it.
(I know, I know, I'm a little late catching the current trends. Remember, I
discovered the Empeg a little late, as well. This posting is for anyone else
who is as out-of-the-loop as I was.)
Actually, I've never tried pearl tea or pearl coffee, just the dessert-type
very sweet variants. Basically flavored sugar water with giant tapioca balls
plus some other floaty things I've been afraid to ask about.
But if you don't like tapioca pudding (or gummy bears) you might not like this.

Oh, and Futurama kicks serious ass. Not as good as Simpsons, but still really funny.

Actually, I thought Futurama was far superior to the Simpsons in recent years.
My theory was that Groening took all the best writers off the Simpsons and
moved them over to Futurama. For nerd-types the sight-gags are fantastic.
(E.g., the 6502 inside Bender, the Aleph-null-plex cinema.) The Simpsons is
a weak shadow of its former glory. But "The Simpsons" lumbers on, while
Futurama is no more.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 22/08/2002 22:14

Oh yeah, I agree with that. When I say "The Simpsons", I mean the great, glorious idea of the best cartoon show ever created (IMO). However, the last few seasons have gone downhill. When it started getting completely random, things went bad. The land of the jockeys comes to mind as a real low point.

I agree, Futurama was far better than the Simpsons episodes of late. I think it was better just because it basically had absolutely no rules. The Simpsons has some things they pretty much have to follow to keep in touch with basic reality, and the show is about an American family, but Futurama simply has no bounds or barriers. They can make up strange and hilarious creatures and races and blow up planets. Then there's all the robots that supply a third of the jokes on the show.

And Bender is hilarious.

"The bath-what?
The what-room?
The what-what?"

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 23/08/2002 12:18

One of my best friends started working for Coca Cola as a part time merchandiser (the guys you see building the in-store displays and stocking shelves) the week they replaced Classic with New Coke. He was cussed at so much for something he knew nothing about by people in the stores as if he were the one that switched it.
That switch in formulas turned out to be one of the most successful marketing blunders ever. Classic Coke sales were higher when they brought it back than before New Coke was introduced.

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 03/09/2002 15:17

I just recieved my case of Dr. Pepper from Dublin Dr. Pepper . If anyone was contemplating ordering some... do so. It came to $1 per can US to have it shipped to me. It is hard to describe the taste. You just have to try it yourself. Thanks for linking to the site!

Re: Way off topic (Pepsi Blue) - 04/09/2002 07:02

I would describe the taste as a bit smoother than DP with the high fructose sweeteners. It doesn't have a "bite" to it, but it sometimes seem to taste a bit flat. When I was in London a couple of years ago, I bought a DP and thought it tasted rathr familiar. I read the label and it stated sugar, not high fructose sweetener. I thought, "Damn they're as lucky as us Texans..." I'm glad you're enjoying the sweet nectar, if you ever find yourself in the DFW area, take the few hours to go to Dublin, cool place, and the first full week of June it's Dr Pepper, Texas, for the birthday celebration.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Drink Moxie! - 04/09/2002 14:33

Apparently there's a bottler in Mass. that does a similar thing, he bottles Moxie to the original formula, with real sugar (not corn syrup) and 90 lbs of C02 instead of the corn syrup & 7lbs that you find on the shelf most places (in New England).

For those of you who like Dr. Pepper, give Moxie a try. I guarantee that you will have an opinion about its taste! I love it but there's plenty that think its the worst thing ever.

-Zeke

Re: Drink Moxie! - 04/09/2002 15:34

I don't think that Moxie is available anywhere much outside New England. ISTR that it's available in NYC, but not much farther, and I don't even know that it's available in the rest of the state.

Re:Small bottling companies - 04/09/2002 15:37

It rather amazes me the number of small bottlers on the East Coast. Texas didn't have many that I remember, but South Carolina has all sorts of stuff I'd never heard of e.g. Cheerwine, Blenheim, Red Rock, etc.

Re:Small bottling companies - 04/09/2002 16:06

Cheerwine is probably as old as Moxie. It's been around a long time, and, in many areas, was the soft drink of choice, perhaps along with Sundrop.

Blenheim is fairly recent in popularity, even regionally, I think, but makes a pretty good ginger ale, as long as you like it in one of their flavors, hot or hotter, and you don't require any ginger to be in it. (Though I just discovered that it's now owned by the folks who own South of the Border, a tourist trap that North Carolinians are glad is in South Carolina, even if just barely, and that might be reason enough not to buy any.)
I'm not familiar with Red Rock, though. But you can't forget about RC Cola, also a southern beverage specialty. And don't forget that both Coca-Cola and Pepsi were invented in the South. Most fo this stuff is in the Georgia/South Carolina area. Apparently, southerners like their sweet beverages (don't forget about iced tea, which is much different south of Richmond than you might expect, and, in many cases, as sweet or sweeter than your average soda).
Posted by: Daria

Re:Small bottling companies - 04/09/2002 17:18

Reminds me, I'm due for another road trip to West Virginia to get Cheerwine...

The lady at the Food Lion lin Elkins ooked at me like I was nuts when I checked out with 22 bottles as she asked me "How's the weather?" and I replied "I don't know. I was in the car since Pittsburgh and I'm turning right around and going back."